Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
SirArchmage
DemonOfFate
Soris Ice Goldwing
Tolvo
Phoenix Rising
Bowdownbe4me
10 posters

Just want to introduce myself. Hi, I'm Bowdown.

Bowdownbe4me
    Bowdownbe4me
    Casual
    Casual

Just want to introduce myself. Hi, I'm Bowdown. Empty Just want to introduce myself. Hi, I'm Bowdown.

Post by Bowdownbe4me Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:47 pm

Hey everyone! I've been an active member of the Xbox Gamefaqs boards for a while now, and an occasional poster on the Reddit, and yet somehow I managed to never post on the wiki boards! So here I am.

I'm Bowdownbe4me, GT: Bowdownbe4me, and I'm a youtube uploader and community organizer. It's nice to meet you.

It's my hope that I may contribute here as well as on the GFaqs boards, and perhaps draw these two communities together. We've been doing a similar thing with the Reddit boards through inter-community events and competitions. It's been great fun!

Anyway, if you ever want to duel or get to know me, feel free to send me a friend request! (Xbox only, unfortunately).

Youtube: www.youtube.com/bowdownbe4me1

P.S. what's the general pvp mindset of this community? Would you say the people here are more "play for fun" or "play to win" types? (No judgment, just trying to get to know you).

-The GFaqs board is pretty split, but the most vocal members tend to be the play to win types.
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Just want to introduce myself. Hi, I'm Bowdown. Empty Re: Just want to introduce myself. Hi, I'm Bowdown.

Post by Phoenix Rising Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:49 pm

Hi! Welcome to the wiki forums! big grin
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Just want to introduce myself. Hi, I'm Bowdown. Empty Re: Just want to introduce myself. Hi, I'm Bowdown.

Post by Tolvo Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:51 pm

Generally people here focus more on the play for fun mentality, though there are the play to win members, and some who switch on and off depending on how we are feeling when we boot up Dark Souls.

Welcome to the community man and I hope you enjoy your stay.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:54 pm

Tolvo has your answer for our mentality. Post, have fun and enjoy your stay here.
    DemonOfFate
    DemonOfFate
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DemonOfFate Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:04 pm

Welcome mate, hope you stick around. And regarding your question, i play for fun, but i also don't judge people who play to win. But if they try to enforce their style on me, then i get a bit pissed. Overall i'd say this forum is more of a play for fun than a Play to win, but we have a bit of those as well, but luckily we keep things civil around here.
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:04 pm

I just recently joined also, but from what I have seen, I suggest going with Tolvo's answer. The same person on this board that killed you with Darkmoon Blade and Tranquil walk of Peace might try to kill you with claws and a sack on their head.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:06 pm

Oh, hey, when did you get in here?

Not only are we a more play-for-fun place here, but we are also a generally caring community for other matters.

Welcome, enjoy your stay, and stick around, if you can! silly

Sincerely,
    Renegade
    DemonOfFate
    DemonOfFate
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DemonOfFate Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:06 pm

SirArchmage wrote:I just recently joined also, but from what I have seen, I suggest going with Tolvo's answer. The same person on this board that killed you with Darkmoon Blade and Tranquil walk of Peace might try to kill you with claws and a sack on their head.

Deadpool is best marvel character. Pound it man! Point Forward

Edit: No scratch that, Deadpool is best character ever, not just in the marvel world.

Bowdownbe4me
    Bowdownbe4me
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Bowdownbe4me Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:10 pm

Tolvo wrote:Generally people here focus more on the play for fun mentality, though there are the play to win members, and some who switch on and off depending on how we are feeling when we boot up Dark Souls.

Welcome to the community man and I hope you enjoy your stay.
    Thanks for the warm welcome! And thank you for answering that question so quickly. Here's another:
    Do most of the folks here have a strong "identity" in their playstyle?

What I mean by this is, do most of the pvp'ers here have a style that they identify as their own?

-From my experience, play-for-fun types usually have something that makes them "unique," while play-to-win types generally don't, since they prefer the "optimal build" etc. (This is total curiosity).

For myself, I tend to be a little more play to win than play for fun, but I've maintained a style which I call my own. I'll bring out the flippy pyro spear or estoc turtle when I'm fighting a true tryhard, but when I'm in general pvp I'll almost always be using my GScythe.

Last edited by Bowdownbe4me on Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:12 pm

It boils down to personal preference a little bit, but most of us have our own, unique playstyles. Mine is dependant on who I fight. If it's a duel, I shall be honourable and do nothing such as healing, etc. If it is a random, I will go against all of these, apart from backstabs while bowing. I will never go down to that level. I can find some amusing random invaders who like to play-for-fun too. I have recently found a couple who were punching me with Pyromancy Flames, and I joined in. It was quite fun. silly
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:15 pm

Usually people have their flares and styles, typically more than one. I know I have a whole Men in Tights persona I like to don while forest hunting. Personally I love to cosplay, some have player Covenants with their own styles too. When going into a more competitive environment of course some just go with whatever they think works best while some still continue to keep their style.

Most often though people don't think they have a Copyright on any style, though some can't resist the urge to say "I did this first."
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:20 pm

Welcome, great to have new members join. cheers

And an ambassador from other sites is even more welcome, though I'm not sure if you get diplomatic immunity.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:22 pm

It depends on everyone's personal idea's though I doubt anyone has ownership of any player styles. For me I fight with a "analyze, train, and overcome" style. Meaning that I study how the other person fights, move and then work on how I can see and use their flaws and errors to my advantage, even if it is a small one. I spend time training to see and fix my own pvp flaws so I can even the odds I go against. I got a code of combat I use which the general rules are no healing, backstab, or spam to win. It does vary however unless I'm dealing with first encounters and friendly people .
    Bowdownbe4me
    Bowdownbe4me
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Bowdownbe4me Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:26 pm

Tolvo wrote:Usually people have their flares and styles, typically more than one. I know I have a whole Men in Tights persona I like to don while forest hunting. Personally I love to cosplay, some have player Covenants with their own styles too. When going into a more competitive environment of course some just go with whatever they think works best while some still continue to keep their style.

Most often though people don't think they have a Copyright on any style, though some can't resist the urge to say "I did this first."
    That last part made me laugh. Over on the GFaqs boards most of the big contributers have a known "style" which overshadows anyone else who does something similar (and this is rarely intentional on the part of the "known" user, but simply a byproduct of the environment).

I would love to see these communities meet up for some events. I made mention of this on another thread, but I'm thinking of putting together a cross-community fight club for tomorrow night. Do you think there would be much interest on this board?
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:30 pm

We have a Saturday FC, a Friday FC, Xbox FC, the occasionally Forum Event and then there are Player made covenant events here. Take your pick.

Edit: Forgot to mention that most of them are here in the PvP section.

Last edited by Soris Ice Goldwing on Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:31 pm

Possibly, people are generally looking for fightclubs to join.

I notice that sort of "It's that person's style!" thing among the youtube and stream community of Dark Souls, but of course again I never see the streamers or video makers actually enforcing it. Simply fans doing the sort of thing, it's just how it is in most communities.

"That's Player X's Character Y build!"

And it'll just be something like an early meta build that fell out of favor after a patch.
    Bowdownbe4me
    Bowdownbe4me
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Bowdownbe4me Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:39 pm

Maneater_Mildred wrote:Welcome, great to have new members join. cheers

And an ambassador from other sites is even more welcome, though I'm not sure if you get diplomatic immunity.
    Thanks! And don't worry about the paperwork for my diplomatic immunity. I can hold my own. tongue

Soris Ice Goldwing wrote:It depends on everyone's
    personal idea's though I doubt anyone has ownership of any player
    styles. For me I fight with a "analyze, train, and overcome" style.
    Meaning that I study how the other person fights, move and then work on
    how I can see and use their flaws and errors to my advantage, even if it
    is a small one. I spend time training to see and fix my own pvp flaws
    so I can even the odds I go against. I got a code of combat I use which
    the general rules are no healing, backstab, or spam to win. It does vary
    however unless I'm dealing with first encounters and friendly people .

Interesting. I'd love to duel you sometime if you're on the Xbox.

I've noticed a lot of folks on this forum avoid or dislike bs's. I gotta admit that while I once played to avoid bs'ing, my playstyle has shifted since I played in some tournaments. I'll take any bs that I can, and I welcome any bs on me because it shows where I let my guard down and where I can improve.

It's actually kinda funny that once you start playing with that mentality and face someone who plays the same way, it's not the bs fishing competition that you'd imagine. Circle strafing actually leaves you very open.

Pardon the rant. I'm certainly not trying to convert you XD I just found that interesting.

(I think I find it especially interesting because even most play-for-fun folks that I know will still take a bs when it's given to them). -and I realize that you don't speak for the board when you say you don't bs, so don't worry, I'm not gonna generalize!
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by ResIsBestStat Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:41 pm

Welcome Bowdown!
    I'm Res
    Daedric lord of spam and swag
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:45 pm

Yes I'm on Xbox my gt is Soris Goldwing it's always good to have another xbox player here. Don't worry about converting me, I only bs for those who run and heal after a big hit from me. I parry better than I bs and I make it a point when I fight a player who wants to duel that a bs from me is unintended. Plenty people want duels too and they're fun.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this Forum is run to be civil and sensitive to all people. You won't find flame wars, trolls or anything that is judgmental to cultures or races here without one of the admins and moderators noticing. These people take order seriously without abuse of power. One reason I like this place.

Last edited by Soris Ice Goldwing on Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:50 pm

People are on and off about BS, it really depends on the person. Some of the fightclubs don't allow BS, they are sometimes designed to encourage people to use slow R2 attacks to try and pull off some interesting kills. Others only ban chain backstabs, and some don't ban chain backstabs.

It's actually why we have so many fight clubs, because people are interested in playing in different ways. It also depends on the area for what is banned, for example we sometimes use the Btown pit, in those cases people might try to abuse Fire Tempets/etc to hit the entire arena, taking advantage of no BS. So it becomes a case of, ban Tempest or just allow people to BS someone casting that spell. Though frankly people sometimes forget you can just kick the person.

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:37 pm

Welcome to the forum.

The community here is amazing. We have flare ups now and then, but its handled more maturely than any forum I've been in.

Something else about the people here in regards to our mentality:

-Most of us have our "optimized" build. It comes out when needed.

-This seems to be a place, again imo, that some of the more knowledgeable players have gathered over the recent to semi-recent past. There is a wide array of players with extensive knowledge about the game. Some of the most complicated answers are answered very quickly.

-Fun is the focus here. Play to win, for most of us, was used up shortly after release, or even back in Demon's Souls. However, playing to win (outside of the standard crap and hacks) is not frowned upon by most.

I'd say I hope you enjoy your stay, but if you enjoy kicka$$ people...you will. I've been on hiatus for 4 months, and I still check the forum semi-daily.

PS-This will be the place to be for DkS 2.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:59 am