Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
IV_Mark_VI
Razz
ordinarypanda
7 posters

Divine shield bash good for putting down skeletons?

ordinarypanda

Divine shield bash good for putting down skeletons? Empty Divine shield bash good for putting down skeletons?

Post by ordinarypanda Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:58 pm

I searched the forums (and wider internet), didn't find an answer. I have a low faith melee build, and would like to take on the Catacombs to get the Rite of Kindling. I guess I just don't have the skills to pull this off without being able to put down the skeletons permanently. My one divine sword does such crap damage, it isn't even a viable switch-out for last few hits when the crowd closes in.

I was upgrading some gear though, and saw that I could turn my Grass Crest Shield into a divine shield. Does anyone know if a shield bash from a divine shield would do the trick? I am low on shards etc, so I would like to only test it myself if nobody posts an answer.

If it comes to that, I will post the results here.

Razz
    Razz
    Casual
    Casual

Divine shield bash good for putting down skeletons? Empty Re: Divine shield bash good for putting down skeletons?

Post by Razz Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:03 pm

I do not have an answer to your question. But if you want a good divine weapon I recomment the reinforced club; at +5 divine the leap attack kills the skelletons instantly (worked with my level 1 char).
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Divine shield bash good for putting down skeletons? Empty Re: Divine shield bash good for putting down skeletons?

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:12 pm

Silver Knight Spear does divine damage as well if you're a pure melee build; it'll put down the skeletons.

Otherwise pick something with poor scaling, like the Gargoyle Halberd (D,D) or reinforced club and use that.
    AzureCrow
    AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by AzureCrow Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:16 pm

Yes any killing blow dealt by a divine shield will prevent them from reviving but honestly the divine path is a waste of a shield. Your better off taking any strike weapon and upgrading it as any attack from a weapon that deals strike damage will not only do extra damage to skeletons on top of the divine bonus but strike attacks cause them to stun and temporarily disassemble allowing free hits and infinite stunning. As razz and mark suggested the reinforced club is the best at low levels, it's relatively high damage and easily bought from the male undead merchant.

On a side note my favorite divine weapon is the Great Club from blightown for any character with the 19 str to 2hand it. It hits like a truck and at +10 its even useful in Tomb of Giants.
    ordinarypanda

Post by ordinarypanda Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:14 am

Thank you for the advice guys! After I posted I noticed what that would have done to my shield's physical defense too. Yikes! Just got the Gargoyle Halberd, will probably use that.
    Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zephryl Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:31 am

If you're just going for the Kindling, then I suggest using the shortcut method. From the first bonfire it's a very short run, and you can either ignore the Skeletons on the way or fight them, since there's only a few you should be able to get through it with only a little trouble.
    Werdax
    Werdax
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Werdax Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:18 am

If you are having trouble with the skeletons due to lack of a divine weapon, you could always push them off an edge. That was what I did in my very first playthrough. I had no idea that divine weapons existed in the first place, and I needed some way to get past them. It took unnecessarily long time, but I got through, all the way to the Tomb of Giants.

What happened there, is a whole other story. Needless to say, it wasn't pretty, since I didn't know that the necromancer lanterns actually FUNCTIONED as lanterns.

Anyway, I sugest you go to Anor Londo. Venture into Havels secret stash. Take the occult club. Degrade it into a divine club. And there you go.
    Its weak, but if you combine it with you preferred weapon of choice, it will prove useful.
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:05 am

I discovered something yesterday that I'd like to advance with further testing. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what SL I was or what character I was playing, but my Divine Gargoyle Halberd+10 was doing more damage against the statue guys than my Fire Gargoyle Halberd+10 and perhaps even my Gargoyle Halberd+15.

Perhaps divine is a good weapon against enemies other than the skeletons in the catacombs.
    Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zephryl Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:57 am

Green__Eagle wrote:I discovered something yesterday that I'd like to advance with further testing. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what SL I was or what character I was playing, but my Divine Gargoyle Halberd+10 was doing more damage against the statue guys than my Fire Gargoyle Halberd+10 and perhaps even my Gargoyle Halberd+15.

Perhaps divine is a good weapon against enemies other than the skeletons in the catacombs.

You mean the titanite Demon? That's probably true, Divine is supposed to be good against "Evil" things.
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:13 am

I did some testing last night using SL215 or so on ng6. The first number is damage output using r1. The second number is damage output using r2. The weapons used are gargoyle halberds.

Divine+10: 165/209

Fire+10: 81/96

+15: 203/258

On a related note, I do recall using a moonlight sword against these guys a long time ago and it killed them in one swing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 7:11 pm