Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

There once was a Knight named Artorias

Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

There once was a Knight named Artorias Empty There once was a Knight named Artorias

Post by Dubscythe Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:36 pm

Spoiler:

There once was a Knight named Artorias. He was one of the four loyal knights of the Great Lord Gwyn. It is said that he was unmatched with a greatsword, and that he was so poised in battle that no one could break his stance. He was a passionate knight, with a seething hatred for the ones who stole humanity from others, the Darkwraiths. He vowed one day to erase them and their leader Kaathe from the land of Lordran. He would get that opportunity when he came across the art of abysswalking.

He would be dubbed Artorias the Abysswalker by those who knew him, and used his new ability to wage his own personal war against the Darkwraiths. Eventually he made his way to the kingdom of Oolacile, which was under duress from the very thing that Artorias was seeking to destroy. Artorias fought valiantly, but was eventually pushed back and injured by the abyss, which was slowly taking control of him. Exhausted, with his left arm practically dust in his armor, he bequeathed his magic shield to his companion Sif and sent him away, allowing the abyss to take control of his body.

Eventually, this tortured, fallen knight set upon a traveler who was seeking to do the same thing Artorias did. This abyssal husk attacked the Undead relentlessly, doing everything in it's power to kill this new threat to the abyss. Eventually, it was struck down, and Artorias was able to see and think again, if just for a moment. He pleaded for the Undead to finish what he had started, and save Oolacile from the darkness that was engulfing it. He died soon after, having left his faith in someone who could get the job done.

The Undead had realized what he had just done. He had heard whispers before, tales of how Artorias had gone down fighting in a blaze of glory against the abyss. It was a story that inspired those who knew it, and if it were discovered that he was turned into the inhuman husk that he became, that inspiration would cease to exist. The Undead knew he had to preserve that legend, so he donned Artorias's armor and took up his sword, to fight the abyss as Artorias and preserve his legend.

The Undead succeeded. After travelling into the Chasm of the Abyss and freeing Artorias's partner Sif, he challenged the father of the abyss itself, defeating it and saving Dusk and all of the kingdom of Oolacile. He emerged from the chasm, exhausted yet victorious. He would return to the colosseum in which he fought the possessed Artorias, and discover someone close to him. Ciaran, another knight of the Great Lord Gwyn, was praying over a makeshift tombstone for Artorias. Without a word, the Undead placed Artorias's armor and weapon next to Ciaran, and placed his tortured soul in her hands. He then left to return from whence he came, successful in both his mission to defeat the abyss and to preserve Artorias's legacy.

WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

There once was a Knight named Artorias Empty Re: There once was a Knight named Artorias

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:44 pm

I like it. happy But you don't have to worry about it being non-cannon, sure you take some liberties here and there with the story, but, all in all, it jives with the lore.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

There once was a Knight named Artorias Empty Re: There once was a Knight named Artorias

Post by Dubscythe Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:50 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I like it. happy But you don't have to worry about it being non-cannon, sure you take some liberties here and there with the story, but, all in all, it jives with the lore.

The entire "story" came from the idea of "What if the Chosen Undead donned Artorias's equipment to preserve his legacy?"

I'm not a writer or anything, but I just really wanted to write about that in a way that could mesh with the lore.
    Djem
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Djem Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:11 pm

I always assumed the DLC is called Artorias of the Abyss because the player does the deeds that were originally thought to be done by Artorias himself. So we take the role of Artorias in the DLC.

Even though the player could do these deeds without Artorias' gear, and instead of giving his soul to Ciaran he could kill her for her stuff, otherwise this is an okay summary of the story of Artorias.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:53 pm

Djem wrote:I always assumed the DLC is called Artorias of the Abyss because the player does the deeds that were originally thought to be done by Artorias himself. So we take the role of Artorias in the DLC.

Even though the player could do these deeds without Artorias' gear, and instead of giving his soul to Ciaran he could kill her for her stuff, otherwise this is an okay summary of the story of Artorias.

I just think the concept is neat, a sort of "Taking up the mantle".
    EarthScraper
    EarthScraper
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by EarthScraper Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:26 pm

Heh, i did all of that on my second play through, you know, play as artorias and kick *** and chew bubblegum AND listen to Cliff Lin while fighting Manus. Cool stuff.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:38 pm