Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+23
morte
Dusk Soul
Serious_Much
jimmyc0341
Xaelai
Seignar
KingSeekerCow
Djem
Ezlare
Animaaal
Walter_White
psychichobo
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Dubscythe
quench
AnCapaillMor
densetsushun
Maneater_Mildred
Rynn
Zephryl
GrinTwist
Dibsville
GenericUsername
27 posters

People who put messages in dumb places

densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

People who put messages in dumb places - Page 2 Empty Re: People who put messages in dumb places

Post by densetsushun Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:17 pm

Djem wrote:They usually tend to do it just to be jerks. But your Dark Souls experience wouldn't be complete by meaningless messages, would it?

Also, that guy who wrote 'Try jumping.' near that edge, is lying.
    I remember reading that at the top of the bell tower, I cracked up and thought to myself "Nice try buddy" lol!
    psychichobo
    Addicted
    Addicted

People who put messages in dumb places - Page 2 Empty Re: People who put messages in dumb places

Post by psychichobo Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:45 pm

Thing is, isn't it set up so that the messages are the secondary option, and you have to toggle to select them? If I'm near a ladder or bonfire I often accidentally end up climbing/sitting down rather than read them...
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:53 pm

It's very erratic and inconsistent, just like how inconsistent the default option is when you use homeward bone.
    KingSeekerCow
    KingSeekerCow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by KingSeekerCow Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:00 pm

"I did it!"
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:15 pm

There are good messages: "Hidden Path" next to an illusory wall.
    There are evil messages: "Amazing Treasure Ahead" next to a trap.
    Then, there are bad messages: "Bonfire ahead" on top of a bonfire. My, what a helpful lad. I had no idea there was a bonfire practically 1 centimeter in front of me!

Honestly, I prefer those intentionally evil messages designed for the soul purpose of killing you (You know them descriptions actually say they can be used (hence, are intended) to deceive others). Those mad messages don't risk your life (although they risk your mental health), they waste your time. A fate worse than death.
    Xaelai
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Xaelai Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:38 am

I've seen some good messages... and then there's the ridiculous ones, yes.

How about the "Be Wary of Sniper" in Blighttown placed strategically so that when you stop to read it, you get nailed by a blowdart and of course if you raise your Shield to block the next one, you cannot get rid of the stupid message (the game will not let you push the Confirm button while holding your shield up) so it stays on the screen until you can back up enough to get behind something solid.

Grrrrr.

And yeah, the Bonfire messages are ridiculous. Yes, the signs at the bottom of the wooden ramp in Blighttown are awesome on your first playthough... but the ones like 2 inches away from the bonfire? uh, no.

And what the heck is with the "Fatty" messages everywhere?

Yeah, I get the one in front of the Iron Golem/Havel/O&S/Blighttown areas... yeah, those make sense.

But what's with the "Fatty" messages everywhere else? That doesn't even make sense.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:40 am

Xaelai wrote:I've seen some good messages... and then there's the ridiculous ones, yes.

How about the "Be Wary of Sniper" in Blighttown placed strategically so that when you stop to read it, you get nailed by a blowdart and of course if you raise your Shield to block the next one, you cannot get rid of the stupid message (the game will not let you push the Confirm button while holding your shield up) so it stays on the screen until you can back up enough to get behind something solid.

Grrrrr.

And yeah, the Bonfire messages are ridiculous. Yes, the signs at the bottom of the wooden ramp in Blighttown are awesome on your first playthough... but the ones like 2 inches away from the bonfire? uh, no.

And what the heck is with the "Fatty" messages everywhere?

Yeah, I get the one in front of the Iron Golem/Havel/O&S/Blighttown areas... yeah, those make sense.

But what's with the "Fatty" messages everywhere else? That doesn't even make sense.
    This is exactly true. You see these helpful messages that have 0 rating, then you go an see "Fatty ahead" beside where the archer was standing in Undead Burg, and it has 41 ratings.
    jimmyc0341
    jimmyc0341
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jimmyc0341 Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:18 pm

GenericUsername wrote:Is anyone else annoyed by this? I mean, it should be simple to just go right up to an object and interact with it by pressing a button. Horribly simple, but no, even for something like that I have to sit there and faniggle my guy around until the message disappears. Or if I'm getting chased by a mob and I want to climb down/ up a ladder, oh lolnope can't do it because that precious second that could have safely gotten me on it was wasted because some jerk put a message right there. Or when they put it by a bonfire " Bonfire ahead ". OH REALLY? Could you possibly mean that bonfire thats two inches away? Are you sure its that bonfire?

It makes me wonder if these people do it just to be jerks or if they actually think its a good idea to put those there.

LOL!! i thought i was the only person who got aggravated by this. I actually died in The Catacombs a few times by trying to push in one of the levers while being raped by skeletons and working my way around a message right next to the goddamn thing which simply stated"HERE!" like I'm an idiot who doesn't know where the levers are in The Catacombs. It also pisses me off when Messages cover up an NPC Co-op summons, like Maneater Mildred's in Queelag's Domain and Solaire's in Undead Parish.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:20 pm

Every time i get, there's messages in the exact same places.

By the lever for the elevator, by andre, by the boss fog for quelaag Look Skyward

I don't know who you are, but I will find you, and I will kill you
    Dusk Soul
    Dusk Soul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Dusk Soul Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:27 pm

I tend to use the fatty message when killing S&O it is faster than PM'ing phantoms that I want Ornstein's soul; but otherwise yes, they are very infuriating.
    morte
    morte
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by morte Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:06 pm

There has only ever been one good dev message for me: up by the necromancer and the ladder. I almost missed that and had to jump down into another area, which would have been a major pain.
    Xaelai
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Xaelai Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:38 pm

morte wrote:There has only ever been one good dev message for me: up by the necromancer and the ladder. I almost missed that and had to jump down into another area, which would have been a major pain.

What about all of the dev messages in the Asylum? Or don't they count? lol.

Also.... what I could never figure out... is right after Pinwheel:

"Shortcut Ahead"

Uh.... what Shortcut? I found a hallway that goes back to the Wheel Skeleton room (right near the blacksmith) but that hardly qualifies as a "Shortcut"?
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:20 pm

Xaelai wrote:
    morte wrote:There has only ever been one good dev message for me: up by the necromancer and the ladder. I almost missed that and had to jump down into another area, which would have been a major pain.

What about all of the dev messages in the Asylum? Or don't they count? lol.

Also.... what I could never figure out... is right after Pinwheel:

"Shortcut Ahead"

Uh.... what Shortcut? I found a hallway that goes back to the Wheel Skeleton room (right near the blacksmith) but that hardly qualifies as a "Shortcut"?
    It's a shortcut back. silly
    It's also the ONLY way out of the Tomb of the Giants if you don't have Bonfire warps, assuming you don't die/Homeward/Dark Sign.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:24 am

I hate how you can't Do a gesture because there's a message nearby. It does not even makes sense!
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:24 am

Carphil wrote:I hate how you can't Do a gesture because there's a message nearby. It does not even makes sense!
    It's because if you press Select while a message is showing, you can rate it.
    morte
    morte
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by morte Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:26 am

Admittedly it was less useful to me, I assumed it was a troll, but the pinwheel shortcut notice helped other people find it and then I used them, so it was quite helpful.

Xaelai, you're right, although the only one that was helpful to me was the plunge attack, the other ones I had already figured out when I did the traditional PC customization of keys.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:27 am

Dibsville wrote:
    Carphil wrote:I hate how you can't Do a gesture because there's a message nearby. It does not even makes sense!
    It's because if you press Select while a message is showing, you can rate it.

but only if you have an orange soapstone, and I never had the patience to get it Look Skyward
    gmwdim
    gmwdim
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by gmwdim Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:13 pm

Do you guys actually get your messages voted up? I've laid down hundreds of messages over many characters and never gotten a single vote.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:08 am

gmwdim wrote:Do you guys actually get your messages voted up? I've laid down hundreds of messages over many characters and never gotten a single vote.
    It's weird, in Demon's Souls I couldn't go a day without logging in without seeing "Your message has been upvoted".
    Bloodpact91
    Bloodpact91
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bloodpact91 Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:11 am

Rynn wrote:
    Zephryl wrote:I honestly didn't know placement location was an issue until I saw it get Rynn killed in a stream once.
    I SWEAR TO *** GOD IF I SEE "Door Ahead" While trying to open a door ONE MORE TIME I'm gonna figure out how to rig it's creators X-box to have a *** meltdown.

From now on i will put one in front of every door i see , just for you twisted
    psychichobo
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by psychichobo Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:33 pm

What I find weird is that there's meant to be 5 levels of ranking for messages - but I've never seen one past level 2 (Solaire's face).

Also, I see a lot of 'I can't take this' in Blight town. I mean LOADS.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:06 pm

My favorite sign is one in Anor Londo that is just "praise the sun" -- only it is up over 100 votes so the image is Solaire's. It's perfect.

I've also seen a broken message that read "?BloodMsg?". The rating was over 30,000 and rapidly cycling up and down even as I watched. Image was a sort of golden Frampt. After a while the entire message disappeared even though I had the read menu open, and never came back. This was PS3.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:49 pm