Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
The_Red_Drifter
Saturday-Saint
Animaaal
Jansports
BusDriver210
LunarFog
Dark Spirit EliteBiker20
VaDoom
Rynn
Juutas
Werdax
AnCapaillMor
KrazykevS10
17 posters

Calling all spear masters

KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Calling all spear masters Empty Calling all spear masters

Post by KrazykevS10 Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:07 am

I have had this game for a year.I am somewhat of a PVP and PVE veteran and am now stumped.How the hell do you use a spear?Is it supposed to do abysmal damage per stamina bar or are counters vital?I've never really used a spear and am finding it horrible,even against burg hollows.

Basically,I'm asking for any tips so I can do more than block and/or poke.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Calling all spear masters Empty Re: Calling all spear masters

Post by AnCapaillMor Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:13 am

Block and poke, stay out of range and poke is pretty much it. never really use them in PVE. you can use the leo for boosted counter damage.
    Werdax
    Werdax
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Werdax Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:24 am

As a former spear user (both in PVE and PVP) I can tell you, that to use a spear properly, you will have to two hand it. With a spear, you do minimal damage, but you will be able to keep a long distance from your opponent, giving you the upper-hand in most situations.
    It does require a bit of patience in combat, but it will get the job done efficiently.

It is, however, in PVP where a spear shine the most. It is a deadly weapon against your foes, as it can reach them from a distance where they are unable to land as much as a single hit. A spear also greatly eat away your opponents stamina, while saving you enough stamina yourself, to damage him or her.

It is advised that you keep a smaller blade on you, in case you should be trapped within close quarters.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:29 am

Keep distance + poke + flip away -> repeat. occasinally if your opponent is completely retarted, you can also spam R1 like there's no tomorrow.

Easiest weapons in the game to be "good" with.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:33 am

The basic spear is useless, it's only the longer ones (pike, moonlight butterfly, demons, and dragonslayer) that are powerful, amazing weapons.
    VaDoom
    VaDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by VaDoom Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:33 am

Not a spear master at all but the topic interests me.
    The first time I ever used a spear was.... yesterday.
    I used it against a couple of gankers in a fight that lasted at least
    30min. It was one of the funniest experience I ever had in my Dark Souls
    carrier. I wouldn't have lasted more than 2min without the spear.
    It was in the PW of Ariamis with a 40str/40dex build, the weapon was Demon's Spear.
    I eventually died after the host decided to summon a second phantom. But I made him use his 20 estus and a bunch of purple and white moss.
    From this first experience, I noticed that spaming R1 can work, but it's a bit dangerous. Just one poke and retreat works perfectly
    Dark Spirit EliteBiker20
    Dark Spirit EliteBiker20
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Dark Spirit EliteBiker20 Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:36 am

^^ What Werdax said. Also, make sure you keep attacking. When using a spear, you want to be quick because of its lesser damage compared to other weapons. If your not already, try to get used to wearing light armor so you can fast roll. You want to be able to avoid your opponants attacks as much as possible, but when you have the chance, two hand the spear and consistantly attack your opponant. Make sure to leave enough stamina for yourself to roll out of danger and recharge your stamina. When other players start to use magic, your rolling speed and ability to poke and run will come in handy, especially against pyro users.

So basically, be quick, know when to back off, be consistant, know how to dodge magic, and efficiently use the poke and run method. Do NOT use the poke and run method all the time because your fights will take longer and most likely end in failure.
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:37 am

Juutas wrote:
    Easiest weapons in the game to be "good" with.

Not for me it isn't.I started a new character to make an elemental build with the winged spear.I find a caestus easier to use.I may have to scrap my build.
    I'll try some PVP with a spear on one of my higher level saves and see if I just can't use it in PVE.

Edit:Just realised why I'm having problems,the winged spear is like 3/5ths the length of the demon and dragonslayer spears.I was unable to outrange even the basic hollows with it.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:37 pm

As the self-appointed spear expert here, let me share my knowledge with you.

There are TWO ways to use a spear: 100% offensive, or 100% defensive. There's no middle-ground. If you half-*** it with your stance then you're going to lose.

Defensive spear: Commonly known as the turtle. Grab a big shield and keep your guard up and poke every time your opponent swings. Anticipate backstab fishing and prepared to handle that; counter-bs, switch to an anti backstab-weapon, or spam R1. Surprisingly, the spear is a good anti-bs weapon when the other person is just strafing around you. As long as you spam R1, you'll always hit him and he'll never be able to backstab you. You might suffer phantom backstabs though(the ones where you go through the animation without taking damage). The only thing you have to keep in mind is that spears consume more stamina when you block and attack, make sure you always have enough stamina.
    Fun fact: spears and dead angle.

Offensive turtle: Double-hand the spear and spam R1. Know your range so that you can always hit with the very tip of the spear and still be out of your enemy's range. Remember to add in ALOT of kicks, otherwise you'll start to get parried. Stamina boosts are your friend. NEVER back off completely. Even if you roll you should try to be close enough to hit your opponent with the recovery attack.

Best spears:
    Demon Spear: Long range. Highest AR at 40/40. Damage is split with lightning.

Dragon slayer spear: 2nd highest AR. 1 handed special is a projectile. Damage is split with lightning, but it has more physical damage than Demon's spear.

Silver knight spear: Long range. One-handed Heavy attack is the easiest move in the game to dead angle with.

Pike: Long range. Highest physical damage only AR.

Winged spear: Lightweight. High physical damage. Low stamina depletion.

Leo Ring
    The leo ring increases damage from thrust attacks when you attack while your opponent is in an attack animation. It only increases the physical damage of a spear(making it work best with Silver Knight Spear or Pike rather than Demon Spear or Dragonslayer spear). If you have trouble landing the counter damage, use the turtle method, or spam R1 and a few will hit.

Spear complimentary weapons

Shotel/bleed weapon: Sometimes people resort to turtling. If they have a greatshield, then a spear won't be able to break through it.

2-handed curved swords: If you're still worried about bs fishers then the wide swing arc and quick swings of 2-handing the curved sword should help. Just swing away and if your lucky the other person will even get stunlocked for a while.

Whips: They're unparriable. Great for throwing in to cause damage without having to worry about parries.

BusDriver210
    BusDriver210

Post by BusDriver210 Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:03 pm

I define myself as a spear main. I use it pretty much 100% in PvE and the sorry SOBs who invade me best be prepared. A great deal of players see your spear and expect a turtle, but I enjoy throwing them off with a good jump thrust. I encourage high endurance, light armor, and a medium shield.

IDK who these turtles are, but the spear is a boss aggressive weapon. It uses little stamina for R1 so i just keep the pressure on. Sometimes they get the best of me, but most people are caught off guard by my aggressive style. Counter blows are best, but you'll get hate mail for them.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:47 pm

Yeah I've always tended to keep any opponent at tip range and poked and prodded constantly until they get impatient enough with the chipping to make a huge mistake (then punish it hard) I've never really "spammed" the poke-behind-shield It's useful on occasion (trading with katana running r1s) but it's not something I'd spend too long on as it eats stamina so bad.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:24 pm

If you wanna try something different in pvp try using it in your left hand. Its not like you lose the moveset...it still "pokes".
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:43 pm

KrazykevS10 wrote:Is it supposed to do abysmal damage per stamina bar

DPS: Damage per stamina.

And yeah, spears are supposed to have terrible damage. They have two things going for them: huge range, and shieldpoke.

Also, here is some spear gameplay from the point of view of a true Spearmaster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNc4AsUpLFc
    The_Red_Drifter
    The_Red_Drifter
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by The_Red_Drifter Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:32 pm

Spear combat is basically a game of keep away. Don't get too **** with them or you'll get a bum rush parry. Greatshields are a pain, and you are bound to run into a couple of them, so bring a backup plan. If you have an elemental/DS/MLBH, you can get quite a bit of chip damage on fellows turtling with a smaller shield. Try not to attack too much unless you have a clear opening, or far enough away from roll bs/parry attempts.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:17 am

2hand it and stay at max range.. i.. what? why are people actually using this thing with a shield most of the time? i dont even. you know the 1h r1 behind the shield is totally rollstab material right guys? that things so slow..
    ChillerHR
    ChillerHR
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ChillerHR Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:36 am

Juutas wrote: occasinally if your opponent is completely retarted, you can also spam R1 like there's no tomorrow.

lool

+1 for this
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:44 pm

Rifter7 wrote:2hand it and stay at max range.. i.. what? why are people actually using this thing with a shield most of the time? i dont even. you know the 1h r1 behind the shield is totally rollstab material right guys? that things so slow..
    A good shieldpoker is a lot more difficult to deal with than a good 2H player, IMO. 2H is too easy to running attack and win trades with. Shieldpoke from near max range can't get roll BS'd.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:57 pm

Saturday-Saint wrote:
    Rifter7 wrote:2hand it and stay at max range.. i.. what? why are people actually using this thing with a shield most of the time? i dont even. you know the 1h r1 behind the shield is totally rollstab material right guys? that things so slow..
    A good shieldpoker is a lot more difficult to deal with than a good 2H player, IMO. 2H is too easy to running attack and win trades with. Shieldpoke from near max range can't get roll BS'd.

are you considering a dwgr as well?
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:16 pm

I rarely use DWGR, but the extra distance covered by flipping is pretty small.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:18 pm

its probably enough to rollstab a spear user that predictably 1h r1 pokes behind a shield... i havent played in something like 2 months tho so i can't remember, 2s with friends aside.

most of my builds use a dwgr.
    Lord of Ash
    Lord of Ash
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Lord of Ash Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:27 pm

Use the leo ring and put a shotel in your of hand the spear is used to intimidate and pick at there help when you start spamming thrust whether hiting them or not they put their shield up as soon as the do swith power attack with shotel stay close to them rather than away the point is to intimidate the enemy make them feel helpless then overwhelm
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:07 am

Moonlight Butterfly Horn in your right hand, with a Catalyst in your left. Poke them until they come in close, then cast Dark Bead. Repeat.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am