Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Dragon's Dogma

Jiub of Carim
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

Dragon's Dogma Empty Dragon's Dogma

Post by Jiub of Carim Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:12 am

I was wondering what you all think of this game. I've heard a lot of comparisons to Dark Souls. Obviously there is no other game like Dark Souls, save Demon Souls. But I thought it'd be best to hear what the DkS community on the forums specifically thinks. I recently acquire this game, though I haven't played it. What do you all think of it? Also, is the DLC any good and worth getting?
    WaLKA
    WaLKA
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Dragon's Dogma Empty Re: Dragon's Dogma

Post by WaLKA Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:20 am

I don't really understand why people would compare it to Dark Souls.

It is, however, constantly compared to Berserk because of all the stuff from the Manga series that's been put into the game, even the main character's armor sets and multiple NPCs that seem like characters from it.

I'll be honest with you and say the difficulty drops off significantly once you hit around 40 or 50, and around 70 post-game where the enemies are more difficult.

But, if you do get into it and enjoy the 'online' aspect of it, the Gamefaqs community for Dragon's Dogma is surprisingly nice and generous like the users here. People will let you add them just to use their max level pawns and give you end game gear for free if you ask. I got myself and my pawn to max level just a few days ago thanks to the help of the community.

As far as the gameplay goes, you can change classes whenever you head back to the city and can ultimately max out every single class. But whatever class you are when you level up distributes your points into the respective stats. The main story is short and you can tear through the game in less than two hours if you do them and absolutely nothing else and rush it. But honestly, it's one of those games where you'll probably have more fun walking in and not knowing what you're doing instead of looking up everything. But if you do like to know, the community is once again more than happy to help.
    WaLKA
    WaLKA
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by WaLKA Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:39 am

And to add on to my stupidly large post, the game's world is really small in comparison to other games like Skyrim and the such. The map may look big, but if you look at it, walk for five minutes and look again, you'll be surprised just how much land you'll cover.

Also, none of the DLC is worth it. At all. Except the free DLC that adds on Speedrun Mode and Hard Mode. All of the gear you get from DLC you can just ask for, and all the missions are boring fetch quests. Dark Arisen's around the corner, but it's supposed to be on a disc rather than DLC content.
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:44 am

I have posted a review for the game on these forums but that was somewhere around 4 months ago but basically its fun untill you reach a high level then you can kill everything in a few seconds
    Jiub of Carim
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jiub of Carim Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:52 am

Which classes were the most enjoyable? I'm interested in become a mage but some of the gameplay i have seen seems to be a mage spamming the same spells over and over again. A question for WaLKA: How many hours have you put into the game, and do you still play it?
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:55 am

my favorite was the battle mage and ive put about 80 hours into the game and I probably would still play it if they added some sort of extreme mode
    WaLKA
    WaLKA
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by WaLKA Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:01 pm

I personally enjoyed playing warrior, since I was able to slap on Guts' armor and sword and have a blast. But they're also the only class limited to three attacks, so. Eh. My pawn has almost always been a Strider class. it's really whichever you think you'll have the most fun with and will put points in categories you like. Technically once you're a high enough level you can max out every vocation. So as long as you keep track of you leveling, experimenting doesn't hurt.

Honestly, I'd have to put the game back in and check. I played it for a long while when it first came out. I picked it up again earlier, deleted my character and played it for about a week or two straight. I haven't played it in the last couple of days since I wanted to get more DkS under my belt, but I'll start playing it again relatively soon since I need to update my pawn and help a few people get Quest and Monster Knowledge for their pawns.
    Jiub of Carim
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jiub of Carim Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:19 pm

What is the battle mage like? And, I've heard that the main difficulty of the game changes drastically based on how well set up your pawns are? Tanks, healers, and etc.
    WaLKA
    WaLKA
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by WaLKA Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:44 pm

I assume by battle mage you mean the Mystic Knight? I can't honestly say how the Mystic Knight and Magick Archer play out. Only the player can have those hybrid vocations. And the only Hybrid vocation I have maxed out is Assassin. But you could ask around.

And yes, depending on how you set up your party the game can be very difficult. it's especially exhilarating when you get rid of mages from your party so you can't be healed. I had more fun that way later on. And playing as a warrior, I've had a way easier time with enemies most other people complain about.
    Jiub of Carim
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jiub of Carim Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:13 pm

Thats strange.. I've heard a lot of people say that warrior playthroughs are harder because when you go down its Game Over. Whereas mage who use a tnak can just run around revive everyone.
    WaLKA
    WaLKA
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by WaLKA Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:33 pm

Huh...?

When you die, you die. It's only when pawns go down that you can pick them back up. And only you can, pawns can't pick each other up. Well....That's a lie. They can literally 'pick up' a pawn and carry him to you, but only you can revive them. The only way you can be revived when you go down is if you have wakestones on you.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:28 am

Do a quick search of the off topic forum, you'll find at least three other threads asking the same question as OP.

Lots of good info that by now people aren't willing to repeat. In short, yes, get it, but wait until April for the DLC.
    Jiub of Carim
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jiub of Carim Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:37 pm

Will do!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:00 pm