Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Some feedback

Infighter
    Infighter
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Some feedback Empty Some feedback

Post by Infighter Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Hey guys,

So recently I've been doing some PvP and recording it for fun. So I need your constructive criticism on what I did wrong, don't expect fancy editing skills, I am not sharing this to get views or something I am looking for tips on how to get better at PvP.

There are 2 videos : 1 video with Strength 2nd Video with Dexterity build

1st video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnB85G8znLs&list=UUlA1Sl4KlMYXBtU0DGEqFww&index=2

2nd video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwTbjlSM85I&list=UUlA1Sl4KlMYXBtU0DGEqFww&index=1

Oh and I play on PC that's why videos are so short, lack of people playing online sadly Some feedback 1330857165

Music may not be to everyone's liking.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Some feedback Empty Re: Some feedback

Post by The Letter X Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:14 pm

I can't view the video displaying your STR build since I am using a mobile device, but your DEX gameplay wasn't bad. When facing the Great Scythe, I'd suggest to "choke and poke" (attack while blocking) more often, especially when you see your opponent isn't attempting to dead angle or when they're spamming the running attack. You can probably get off two hits of near risk free damage like that.

As for playstyle as a whole, I'd bait and punish more often, especially when using a weapon like the Estoc which can capitalize on counter damage.
    Infighter
    Infighter
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Infighter Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:23 pm

I see, thanks for feedback.

When I play with Estoc I tend to just poke and counter their rolling attacks, and when I do they just get pissed and resort to BS-fishing which I end up countering with BS of my own
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:29 pm

Oh, and are you comfortable with parrying? If not, I'd suggest to give it a try. I don't really do it that much myself, but when playing defensively it can cause others to get overaggressive giving you an opportunity for an easy parry.
    Infighter
    Infighter
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Infighter Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:36 pm

Yeah I've been practicing parrying too, I can easily parry weapons like Greatswords but struggle against Rapiers and generally fast weapons
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:48 pm

I'd offer to help you out, but you're on PS3 IIRC. Are you having trouble with set-up parries, blind parries, or parrying in general against the faster weapons?
    Infighter
    Infighter
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Infighter Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:49 pm

Parrying in general, I try to do set-up but its 50-50% on light weapons
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:58 pm

Set-up parries of course only work when your opponent spams R1. Just take the first hit and parry as soon as your opponent's weapon hits you. It will parry the next attack.

Blind parrying faster weapons is basically parrying as soon as your opponent presses R1, which you can't really know the exact moment because of the inherent lag. Try visualising where your opponent will be just before they attack, and parry just before they reach that spot.

Those are the things I do when I parry. It works for me, but they are only suggestions - you'd probably have to just practice and find your own "sweet spots" for parrying. I also recommend watching martyrsbrigade99's Parry Instruction 102 and 103 videos if you haven't already.
    Infighter
    Infighter
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Infighter Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:00 pm

I did watch em, that's why I got better at them big grin, I really need more practice against experienced players, I rarely see anyone in Burg at only once participated in FC :|
    Infighter
    Infighter
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Infighter Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:14 pm

bump
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:51 pm

First video:

1:12 - When going for Combustion oki, try to delay it a bit. Most people will try to roll away the instant they get up, use it to knock people out of that roll. When somebody gets up and pauses for a second before rolling, THEN do instant combusts.

2:25 - When somebody is coming in for an obvious BS and you whiff an attack, DO NOT ROLL AWAY. NEVER EVER ROLL AWAY FROM BS'S. Get in the habit of unlocking and attacking people in situations like that. Kick is really good for this. If you attack too early and the guy poises through your attack, you deal some damage, but still get BS'd. Kick doesn't do damage, but it DOES go straight through poise, so you don't run the risk of getting poisestabbed. The only time I'd use an attack over a kick is if I have something with a really fast attack, like Uchi/BSS, or if I think I can instant-pivot into an attack and not get BS'd.

Also he hits you after he BS's you. Ultra Greatswords are SUPER slow and you should be able to dodge them on reaction when getting up from a BS. Just watch him and back roll as he swings, don't try to predict or anticipate how he's going to swing. Just watch, react, use your i-frames.

The Scythe guy was spamming running attacks all over the place. You had a big poise advantage here, as you could poise through his attacks, but he couldn't poise through yours. So you could have done something like just wait for him to attack, then 2H R2 > R1 (pretty sure this combos with MSGS, but maybe it's just Clay) or just poisestab him as he goes flying past you. Both would be pretty easy to do, and would trade in your favor, especially since you had the HP lead after landing that first BS.

When you do rolling attacks, unlock and manually aim them. They have next to no tracking when you lock on with them. You can also unlock, roll, then lock on just before you press R1. That isn't as good as manually aiming them, but it's a lot better than just staying locked on the whole way through.

That guy with the Server spammed way too many parries to not catch at least a couple BS's. If people are spamming parries like that, BS them until they stop.

2nd video:

If you are using an Estoc, the only attack you want to use to trade blows is shieldpoke. 99.9% of the time, if you're going to trade attacks, you want to shieldpoke. In fact, your default attack most of the time should be shieldpoke. Shieldpoking is just a super safe poke attack and so long as you watch your stamina and have a decent shield, it beats pretty much everything that isn't a parry or a backstab. The other attacks have their uses, but you want to be sure that the other guy isn't about to attack you when you use them. If he is about to attack you, just shieldpoke.

But yeah, mostly you just shouldn't be attacking into Great Scythe running R1's. Those do a lot of damage. Like that fancy **** you tried around 2:33. Don't do that. Yeah you look cool doing it, but it's dumb.
    Infighter
    Infighter
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Infighter Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks for the tip, very informative

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:32 pm