Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+29
Uparkaam
Jester's Tears
Peaceful Wollyhop
User1
BLA1NE
ChizFreak
JoeBroski09
PlasticandRage
BeeSeaEss
Slarg232
Spurgun
Hatsune Miku
Mr. Tart
hey its andres
VaDoom
Carphil
bunnywink
The Letter X
Serious_Much
bloodpixel
skarekrow13
Hydreigon11
DoughGuy
densetsushun
Tolvo
Forum Pirate
GrinTwist
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Soris Ice Goldwing
33 posters

Random Off-Topic

skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Random Off-Topic - Page 19 Empty Re: Random Off-Topic

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:27 pm

One time I watched the uncut version of the Exorcist with no lights and the windows completely covered alone. It was scary good.

I can see your point about companies collaborating to get the best result but ultimately, there'd be no reason to improve. Relying solely on intrinsic motivation almost always ends in complacency. Add some competition and maybe a little threat of losing money to someone else and motivation rises
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:44 pm

With GTA though, is it's brutally honest with the story. There's not much you can do with a crime revolved story and not be a gangster working his way to the top, or at least some kind of revenge plot. I feel at least they made the stories more interesting since GTA3, San Andreas you end up killing your former best friend and 4 you end up having your brother or love of your life killed..

I can get why you don't like the stories though, but then again isn't every story in a game series to an extent regimented in the same way? Mario always rescues peach, link always has to collect artifacts to give him 'power' (even though the things you collect to sweet *** all), Dark souls you just gather power to kill the big baddy, Final Fantasy a group of young'uns save the world (usually revolting against some kind of government), elder scrolls you save the realm from the latest threat oashfviasodhvlsdofsoidhfsaidfhsoidh you get the point.

I do get what you're saying though, they follow a trend, but frankly every series does it, and if it tries to change too much it can get criticised.. not that i got any more examples lol.

I love films that creep me out.. not scare (that stuff doesn't work), but psychological/supernatural stuff thats just plain strange, that makes you uneasy.. Its such a nice feeling. I almost feel high when I play Alan Wake, the creepiness is awesome for me.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:49 pm

Oh but of course. I just have a hard time getting into playing a criminal i suppose. I've always been that "innocent kid", so it's kind of not my thing i guess.

I would love to see change in game series though. And i mean huge changes in both gameplay and story, just for that sick twist.

I'm very rarely scared or creeped out, however i am rather paranoid to be honest. The reason i like the Dead Space series for example, is because it has managed to stress me out, unlike any other game so far, which is the closest to being scared i've been of any movie/game/book.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:57 pm

Hmm. I like to see changes, but they have to be developmental rather than overhaul (though final fantasy somehow manages the whole overhaul of gameplay every time thing). thing is is something is changed too much, it's not the same series, but if it changes too little, it's treading water, unambitious and stale.

There's really no winning is there silly

Then again one example is the changes that occurred from Alien to Aliens. One distinctly a horrorish, one more thrillerish with a lot of action. Both great, iconic pieces, but very different, while being in the same series.

It would be interesting to see a game series that does this, follow a specific world.. Or a character, while developing the story along with that character, the different situations in each edition of the game means each is vastly different from the last, shifting and reinventing like a cycle until the final conclusion of a story. That would be really cool, but doing it with game series is more difficult than film, you got more to think about than just situations and story. Everything has to be relatable to a gamepad.
    Hydreigon11
    Hydreigon11
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hydreigon11 Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:00 pm

To be honest I prefer those psychological scares rather than the jump scares. Like Carver's hallucinations freaked me out in DS3, not like arrhghhghg but more like, ohhh shiiiittt, and just making me feel weird all over.

I prefer those scares than the jump and gore scares, they're much more effective.

If only FF could actually realise that we don't want overhauled battle systems, goddamn the turn based/timer based formula works,stick with it, no one asked for anything different. At least the Tales series has it down, we want that battle system so it keeps that battle system smart people. Oh gosh, if FFXV has a system like 13, I am flying to Japan to beat some sense into square enix (I'd probably get shot on the way but I'll do it).
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:07 pm

Sometimes i wish the world just revolved around me so i could get what i want. silly

What i would like to see in a game series is something crazy like, let's say the game series go by the name Edghrhtgwgegh, a very beautiful name by the way.

Edghrhtgwgegh: Potatoes <- That could be some typical action, with nothing outstanding alone, but as part of a series would become memorable in time.

Edghrhtgwgegh 2: Potatoes with glasses <- A psychological game that plays with your mind and fools you. Nothing is as it seems, and the game is a whole mystery, until possibly at the end or the beginning of the sequel.

Edghrhtgwgegh 3: The potatoes are apparently brainsucking monsters <- The plot-twist. A horror perhaps? Making you feel weak and pathetic as you try to run and escape.

This being an example, although a genius one.

Let's try to make a better example of the one above though.

1: You play some action hero, maybe an agent or whatever. You know, nothing unique.
    2: Things are not as they seem, but you'll have to figure out what the hell is going on.
    3: The big twist; You can't trust anyone, you know too much, and you're no longer an hero. You're someone who's trying to survive.

That's what i'd like to see done, and also what i'll never see done.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:12 pm

Hydreigon11 wrote:If only FF could actually realise that we don't want overhauled battle systems, goddamn the turn based/timer based formula works,stick with it, no one asked for anything different. At least the Tales series has it down, we want that battle system so it keeps that battle system smart people. Oh gosh, if FFXV has a system like 13, I am flying to Japan to beat some sense into square enix (I'd probably get shot on the way but I'll do it).

Just to clarify, by overhaul I meant the difference between stuff like materia system and abilities system, dresspheres, licence board etc.

I guess I should have called it the 'ability-battle' system, as in each game the changes made to development of character conversely change the way characters fight. I of course don't consider the mutilation of all that is good in FF (aka FFXIII) an overhaul.

That sounds interesting. To be honest you could easily make that into a plot tart, actionish hero, perhaps police or something similar. Suffers a fall from grace (end of first)- resulting in mental breakdown, paranoia, psychological encounters, general craziness, end of game capture by police/madhouse. Third game.. I'm having trouble here how to develop. Gets busted out of confine, could be related to his hallucinations in 2nd game, becoming real or having been sort of pseudo-prophecies, the real life horror of struggling against them.

Thats a very basic, rushed and weary outline, but it's easy to write a trilogy out of this kinda thing, and it sounds like a natural story progression, if done right and not by some guy with a lack of writing talent silly
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:44 pm

Basketball gets the Dark Souls treatment. So silly. lol

Hydreigon11
    Hydreigon11
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hydreigon11 Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:47 pm

I think tart's trilogy has promise.

So in the first game you start as a (let's set it in the future) genral of Earth's forces. You're called to a dig on another planet where you discover the 'potatoes' these potatoes seem to be a cause of good, infinite sources of energy or whatever. You encounter fierce alien resistance and you experience a hallucination, can't specify what yet. You finally manage to get the potatoes to Earth where one hijacks your CNS and you absolutely break down.

Second game, you awake in a mental asylum, with lunatics and psychopaths all around you. The potato is still in you and you're prone to mental breakdowns, but you know enough to know that the potatoes cannot be trusted. You fight your way out of the asylum, armed only with a metal bar from your cell and discover some dirty secrets along the way, and how your platoon was supposed to be sent to die three days after the discovery of the potatoes. You find your way to an old friend's house, where you find he has killed himself and you arm up, with a pistol. The game ends with a knocking on the door.

BANG door opens, you and your pistol fight your way out of 20 government forces and you flee into the street. The government is planning a simultaneous, worldwide potato integration and it's up to you to stop it...

I don't know how the rest is gonna pan out, but you guys can finish it for me. Now if we were a AAA development studio, we'd be on to something.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:59 am

Speaking of stories, twists and all.

Watching Looper. So far it's crazy good. Bruce Willis is good like normal. Story is nuts. It gets a four prongs up rating so far
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:31 am

The final fantasy series is (generally) linked by themes instead of worlds/ main characters. Thats why they can redo everything every time without angering their entire fanbase.
    I don't like fable 2 or 3. They're "streamlined" to a fualt. Like the elder scrolls 4 and 5.

I've never cared much about graphics, as long as they're servicable. Its not that I don't like good graphics, but its to big a focus in the industry atm, imo, and its driving up costs unnecessarily. Late ps2 era graphics would cut it most of the time if people wern't so focused on looks. Kingdoms of Amalur is a decent example. The graphics are decent and noticiable, without requiring somuch power that my xbox will burst into flames if I run it fora bit.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:51 am

I just watched Django Unchained. Nothing special. :|
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:03 am

Ijust watched tangled................................and liked it.
    Anybody else generally prefer kids movies? (think toy story, not barbie swan lake)
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:18 am

Everyone loves Toy Story silly
    Hydreigon11
    Hydreigon11
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hydreigon11 Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:30 am

I don't prefer kids' movies but the really well crafted ones can have me feeling better than most films. Things like Brave and Tangled really got me going, I dunno it just made more sense and was so much simpler and innocent. Meh, I like what I like, deal with it.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:35 am

I just read my daughter the Berenstain Bears Nursery Tales book. They have the little red hen story where it does all the work growing and harvesting wheat to make bread. There's pictures of the hen with a sickle and a threshing flail. So basically a red chicken wielding a shotel and nunchuks taking out some aggression on wheat. Best illustrations ever

Random Off-Topic - Page 19 20130213

That was a huge pain hosting from my phone. Totally worth it
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:31 pm

also, Spur is gonna hate me.....
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Random Off-Topic - Page 19 Jsk8w1
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:50 pm

Come on, even you have to admit this avatar is amazing
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:23 pm

If only you guys could understand portuguese. I'm laughing my *** off with a scene that i've seen a thousand times

Edit: no matter, go to 10:00
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:34 pm

Lol. Nice edit. Is the title of the video "Dark Souls, the easiest game in the world"
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:36 pm

Paranaense, mano?
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:43 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Lol. Nice edit. Is the title of the video "Dark Souls, the easiest game in the world"

Yes, but they're being sarcastic

and Pendant, they're from Curitiba I believe
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:52 pm

I figured so, funny from what I can tell. I know enough Spanish to read somewhere in the elementary school range. Makes Portuguese and Italian somewhere in the kindergarten area for me. Hearing any of those languages though might as well be white noise big grin

Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:45 pm

So my cousins (2 boys, 13 and 10 years old) are staying here over the week. And my sisters are here this week too. And all of my brothers are here as well.
    So this week we'll have 6 boys, 2 girls and 1 teenager (me) in the house. And everyone wants to play with me

Random Off-Topic - Page 19 19qg7q

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:09 am