Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Soris Ice Goldwing
GrinTwist
The Letter X
DoughGuy
IIdoneus
9 posters

Executioner Smough Speculation

IIdoneus
    IIdoneus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : Here but there. In all places, yet only a few locations.

Executioner Smough Speculation Empty Executioner Smough Speculation

Post by IIdoneus Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:16 pm

I was thinking really hard about all the characters and enemies in Dark Souls, and realized that I have a sudden fascination with Smough. Little is given about him in terms of in game info, and fan speculation also seems to be scarce. I would like to pose a few questions and see what people think!

-What is significant about Smough's armor? Is it armor, or is it his body? The headpiece seems to suggest it is a part of him.
    -Smough would grind up the bones of his victims and add the dust to his feed. Apparently, this ruined his chances of being ranked among the four knights. So, what is required of one to become a knight? All of the knights seems capable of rational thought, so is Smough just an animal of sorts, the "lapdog" of the four knights?
    -Piggybacking off of the very last question, what can we say about Smough's racial background? Looking at the four knights, we can at least infer what they might have been, and we all know Gough is a Giant. With his tremendous size, and the fact his name sounds very similar to Gough, can we assume Smough to be a member of the giant race, or perhaps something extant?

If you have more questions to pose, please do! We can all ponder them together.
    :?: It would also be reassuring to find out that I am not the only person in the world that thinks Smough is epic and awesome! bounce
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Executioner Smough Speculation Empty Re: Executioner Smough Speculation

Post by DoughGuy Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:20 pm

1. You can see eye holes in his neck armour, the armour is much bigger than smought himself.
    2. Its uncivilized to eat your enemies. It wouldnt look very goo dto have one of th eknights being a cannibal.
    3. He's superhuman but no giant. Most likely the same race as arty and orn.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:29 pm

Smough doesn't seem like a lapdog to the Knights in my opinion, more like a mercenary that they'd bring along if necessary. He's too crude to be a knight; the four knights all have some sort of sympathy or honor for their fighting, but Smough sees his enemies as food(or as low as food) and his allies as nothing when dead (Ornstein seems to absorb Smough's power while Smough obliterates Ornstein's body to receive his power).
    IIdoneus
    IIdoneus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by IIdoneus Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:41 pm

DoughGuy wrote:1. You can see eye holes in his neck armour, the armour is much bigger than smought himself.
    2. Its uncivilized to eat your enemies. It wouldnt look very goo dto have one of th eknights being a cannibal.
    3. He's superhuman but no giant. Most likely the same race as arty and orn.
    All very good points. Cannibalism is technically eating ones own kind though. If Smough is devouring the executed, but he is a different kind of being entirely, I would imagine it is just more gross than anything else. But I guess I really do not know. Race is a tricky topic in the world of the undead.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:43 pm

I've heard of the theory that Smough is a Giant but it doesn't seem to add up when his size is compared to Gough or the Giant Blacksmith.

It seems as though he is of the same race as Ornstein but I had the theory that like Priscilla he is considered an abomination. That he is a mix of both a giant and whatever race Ornstein belongs too. That because of this he was excluded and that eventually led to his animosity and lack of emotions towards his own partners. I think though that unlike Priscilla that might have been the spawn of Seath he didn't have to be hidden away because he didn't have any sort of royal lineage. It's because of that he was given the chance to not be sealed away into the Painted World.

EDIT: I'd like to ask... can we see the eye holes in the armor when we are fighting Smough or do they only appear once we are able to wear his armor?
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:49 pm

Smough is an executioner and that job entails little to no sympathy to the dead or living. So there's no way he could be a knight of Gwyn. His combat stlye has no focus or training than smash threw anything in front of him as seen from the breakable columns. Though I have to admit I can't understand why he destroyed Ornstien's body for the power boost. Unless that was how he killed people however that would make those in Anor Londo seem like sociopaths. As for race I think "What" is he that correct. He is tall but not a pure giant because his helm is at least a foot tall. His strength could be because of many things: Being a hybrid of a giant and a smaller person, a life of training or perhaps he really is a experiment of Seath to create an emotionless killer.

Edit: So many grammer errors to fix.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by GrinTwist Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:08 am

^When in doubt blame Seath.

It is probably one of the two, either that he is only half giant and half something else or that he was an experimentation of Seath.

I think it might be the former because of the fact that he had a chance of becoming one of the Four Knights. I don't know much personally from before the war with the dragons, but I don't think Seath would have had the ability to experiment until the end of the war. With that being said from what I can think of the Four Knights were formed during that war with the dragons. Hence Smough would have predated Seath's experiments because the description of Smough's hammer says that he had the chance to become one of the Knights. (Had he not taken pleasure in his work)
    ClassicBlaze
    ClassicBlaze
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ClassicBlaze Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:33 am

Smough seems to be uncivilised and barbaric, his fighting style suggests that, smash smash smash, if they are still up, smash some more, and he also eat his enemies...like...come on! a knight follows a code of honor, has morals and a disciplined mind...thats abit too much for ol Smough, now about his armor If its the same as the one the chosen undead can use, then we can assume its actually bigger then him, yet he is still way taller then your average human.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:37 am

You can see the eyes on him in the artbook.
    ClassicBlaze
    ClassicBlaze
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ClassicBlaze Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:45 am

DoughGuy wrote:You can see the eyes on him in the artbook.

I do not posses such powerful tome... Executioner Smough Speculation 1330857165
    All my info comes from ingame observation.
    IIdoneus
    IIdoneus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by IIdoneus Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:48 am

ClassicBlaze wrote:

Same here. I do not believe I have seen one anywhere. I suppose that is the bad thing about hopping aboard the Dark Souls train so late.
    ClassicBlaze
    ClassicBlaze
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ClassicBlaze Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:59 am

IIdoneus wrote:
    ClassicBlaze wrote:

Same here. I do not believe I have seen one anywhere. I suppose that is the bad thing about hopping aboard the Dark Souls train so late.

Neither did I, wich is a shame, what makes it worse is that Im a Dark Souls fan since it was released (the join date means little, I have been following this forums has a
    long time.. only decided to join a few days ago, dont know why
    though.....kinda regret not doing it earlier now) I should have managed to get my hands on one by now, but I simply cannot find it anywhere for sale.....
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by GrinTwist Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:03 am

ENB has a video uploaded onto his channel that shows some pictures from the artbook.

Here's the video.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:15 am

Not that artbook, the collectors edition of the original release.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:03 am

My thoughts on Smough:

He is definitely a Giant. Even with the fact that his armor makes him larger, the eyeholes on the neck are still higher than the Demi-gods like Ornstein or Artorias are tall. Also note that his posture is constantly squatting down a bit, so if it doesn't seem like he's quite as tall as the other Giants, I'd attribute that to the fact that he's always standing lower to the ground than they are.

As for how he works into the Knights, I think Smough is exactly what it says on the tin, with no real depth beyond what you'd expect. He had the strength to stand out from the rest of Gwyn's normal minions, but his sheer barbarity made him unworthy of a position of authority within Gwyn's army. I believe that Ornstein, who we are told was likely captain of the Four Knights, simply respected Smough's strength in battle enough to look past Smough's barbarism, and while he could not appoint a member into the knights themselves, likely simply chose Smough to act as his personal partner/bodyguard. But even though Ornstein essentially kept him on a leash, Smough himself was nothing more than a half-crazed minion looking to kill things. So less a lapdog to the knights themselves, and more of a personal project of Ornstein's.
    IIdoneus
    IIdoneus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by IIdoneus Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:31 am

Reaperfan wrote:My thoughts on Smough:

He is definitely a Giant. Even with the fact that his armor makes him larger, the eyeholes on the neck are still higher than the Demi-gods like Ornstein or Artorias are tall. Also note that his posture is constantly squatting down a bit, so if it doesn't seem like he's quite as tall as the other Giants, I'd attribute that to the fact that he's always standing lower to the ground than they are.

As for how he works into the Knights, I think Smough is exactly what it says on the tin, with no real depth beyond what you'd expect. He had the strength to stand out from the rest of Gwyn's normal minions, but his sheer barbarity made him unworthy of a position of authority within Gwyn's army. I believe that Ornstein, who we are told was likely captain of the Four Knights, simply respected Smough's strength in battle enough to look past Smough's barbarism, and while he could not appoint a member into the knights themselves, likely simply chose Smough to act as his personal partner/bodyguard. But even though Ornstein essentially kept him on a leash, Smough himself was nothing more than a half-crazed minion looking to kill things. So less a lapdog to the knights themselves, and more of a personal project of Ornstein's.
    oh wow! I never really thought of the Smough-Ornstein relationship. Thank you! I think that puts to rest my curiosity about his position. As for what he is though, I am still speculative. But I guess that is kind of the beauty of Dark Souls and its characters! So much mystery.
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:46 am

I always thought, maybe he's related to the sentinels in Anor Londo. He indeed seems too small to be a giant, even though his name suggests he is, but he's still clearly larger than Ornstein. Anyone know how big Smough is compared to the sentinels or what the sentinels are?
    You could think they're constructs, but then where did the giant skeletons in firelink and the TOTG come from? They're too large for silver knights and too small for giants.
    You could think that not only Smough, but all sentinels are half-giants. They could have crossed humans and giants to create the perfect guards. Perhaps all sentinels have names like Snough, Flough, Trough, but those don't get mentioned because they're just soldiers. Just a thought.

I wonder, if Smough became one of the knights of Gwyn, what kind of ring would be have? Probably a rhinoceros ring or gorilla ring, for extra me-smash-you power.
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:46 am

Flough? lol!

I think Reaperfan's theory is the best so far

And i'd think that the armor fits him perfectly, and is "adjusted" for non-Smough people to wear, just like Ornstein's

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:34 pm