Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
RedderAI
Bioraptor
ClassicBlaze
Sloth9230
Onion Knight
SlakeMoth
IV_Mark_VI
Aznul
befowler
EeAyEss
Automancer
GrinTwist
densetsushun
skarekrow13
Green__Eagle
lalliman
Villain1
21 posters

Those who fell along the way

Villain1
    Villain1

Those who fell along the way Empty Those who fell along the way

Post by Villain1 Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:33 am

Are there any fellow Dark Souls players out there like me who, having put many, many hours into the game, still haven't gotten to NG+?

I can't find the will to continue... I'm unable to defeat the enemies along any path I try to take, I couldn't face more farming, there's no WAY I'm starting again with another character - all hope seems lost.

I can just picture my character, having fought so hard and so long, finally collapsing by the wayside, madness consuming him, and I wonder... how many others out there have gone hollow trying to link the fire?
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Those who fell along the way Empty Re: Those who fell along the way

Post by lalliman Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:06 am

It's not the same, but i actually went hollow on my first playthrough over how horribly boring the black knight sword is to use. Since my entire build was also completely messed up i just started over completely shortly after placing the lordvessel. And no regrets were ever had.
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:26 am

Pay attention to your armor stats. If you're going up against an enemy that uses lightning, equip armor that has high lightning resistance (yet light in weight).

I found that choosing a shield with a high stability is sometimes better than high damage reduction for a specific element.

You'll also find that your second new character will have an eaiser time advancing through the game because you're already familiar with the enemy placements/tactics.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:08 am

Even limited builds have plenty of options. Don't go hollow.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:14 pm

If you feel like you can't push forward, look up the video series of Gamefront "Dark Souls with James". You can't watch that and have any excuses to not get to at least NG+.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:20 pm

This really depends on the enemies your having trouble with and what SL you are. Just remember that there are always people just waiting for you summon them.

It actually took me 2 builds before I was finally able to get the hang of Dark Souls. Just don't go hollow on us yet.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:50 pm

I remember being stuck in Sen's for like 2 weeks during my first playthrough because of those stupid catwalks and the bloody Man-Serpents. One time, i was struck down and dropped down to the tar pit with all the titanite Demons with a sliver of life and no Estus. I was trying to find my way until i found the Scythe 'halberd'. Since i got that weapon, i soared through because of how much i loved the moveset.

NG was pretty much a cakewalk for me after i got my Lightning Scythe. =D
    Villain1
    Villain1

Post by Villain1 Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Well okay then, I think I feel my humanity restoring a bit thanks to all that encouragement! Sun

The problem was I'd gotten to Crystal Cave and my main weapon - a Divine Winged Spear - is completely useless against the Crystal Golems. Even the Lightning Spear from Sen's barely scratches them. So I doubled back, trying to decide whether to go after Bed of Chaos or the Four Kings, or try my luck in the Great Hollow. I ended up wandering around the swamps under Blighttown... and then one day I just had no desire to put the disc in.

But your kind words have rekindled the flames of courage in me!
    I shall no longer consign myself to whining, I'll take up my spear once more! To Lordran!
    Hurrah

On a more tactical note, what would you guys recommend I do? Also, how effective is magic damage against flame enemies? And flame damage against the crystal golems?
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:16 pm

I've actually never tried, but i'm sure crystal golems are highly resistant to magic. I don't know what level you are, but if you have decent dex, a pure physical spear is definitely better than a lightning one. A +15 normal weapon is in fact the best choice in many many situations.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:02 pm

It's purely anecdotal on my part, but my Occult Sunlight Straightsword seemed to cut through them like butter(due in part to my faith). Judging by the relatively similar damage from my Queelag Furysword +5 though, I'd say fire does them in pretty nicely. If you're not averse to using a guide, I'd suggest looking up enemy weaknesses on the wiki to make sure you know what to use in what situation.

This is just my personal preferred path, but I usually do in BoC first, then Nito, then Seath, followed by additional content if my toon can handle it and then Four Kings. It's worked out pretty well for me for now.
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:14 pm

I always make a point to grab the sunlight maggot before heading to the tomb of giants. Makes the tomb way easier.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:16 pm

EeAyEss wrote:I always make a point to grab the sunlight maggot before heading to the tomb of giants. Makes the tomb way easier.
    Indeed, it's handy having a shield but headgear isn't entirely necessary. But the skull lantern does nicely point the way for you in the Tomb.

Last edited by densetsushun on Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:18 pm

Right, but it seems to me that the OP isn't a Dark Souls expert, and I think using a shield(since he seems to favor a spear) would be optimal for his survival.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:22 pm

Oh, I'm not recommending the skull lantern unless it's 100% safe around you, I needed my shield to barely make it out alive in there. I hate the tomb :X
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:25 pm

lol. I get what you mean now. But it's so much fun exploring the place. happy
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:26 pm

A lot of great advice in here.

Mine is try a crossbow. You only need 14 str for a heavy crossbow (which is easy to find in the Depths), and at +15 with heavy bolts it does 2-300 dmg to most mobs in the game, including bosses. It also has a good long lock on range. Combine it with a good high stability shield and you can kill nearly any PvE foe safely by shooting, sidestepping while blocking, shooting again. A little boring, maybe, but it is amazing in Sen's against the lightning throwers, against titanite demons, even against the ghosts in New Londo (provided you have a transient curse on).
    Aznul
    Aznul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aznul Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:06 pm

How you deal with the enemies around you depends on your build, but moslty I have found that once you develope a combat style/technique, the more you put into it, the more effective it becomes. Also, I noticed that there hasn't been much mention of summoning. If you feel that you cannot defeat an area, you can almost always (if you are playing online) summon help.

If the technique you are using at the time doesn't work, find another one that can be used with your character's stats. The game is extremely flexible as to how you can approach any given enemy or situation. Also, if things aren't going well, study your enemy or try using a guide. The more you know, the better you will be able to fight against them.
    Villain1
    Villain1

Post by Villain1 Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Thanks guys, these are all really helpful! I might even just make this into a general advice thread...

Don't worry, I managed to beat Nito - a helpful thing I found is that the radius of the lantern's glow is more than the giant skeletons' and skeleton dogs' (shudder) aggro range, and less than your lock-on range. I toasted them with Lightning Spears, but any ranged weapon would give you an edge with the first strike. Just remember to get your shield up quick though - I had some close shaves with those dogs. o.O;

Thanks for the tip, it turns out they do seem to be weak to fire but I might just go ahead and buff up another spear - farming has left me with a LOT of plain titanite. Thanks for the crossbow idea too, that could be pretty handy - being able to whip that out, hit 'em for a few hundred and then turtle up again sounds like a good tactic for... someone like me. winking

Heh, I can't believe how much support I've gotten from you guys ^^ I guess super unforgiving difficulty has a way of building camaraderie, eh?

Long live the Dark Souls community! Praise the Sun
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:20 pm

If you're a faith build, in tomb of the giants there is someone you rescue that teaches you Miracles back at the Undead Parish. Learn those miracles! Should help you.

Also if you post your stats/gear people can help you along as well. THis game is all about the gear.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:46 pm

The 'Cast Light' spell is really handy in the Tomb of Giants. It lasts for around 3 minutes and leaves both hands free, I used it all the time down there.

And get a bow, preferably the Composite Bow, which, if I remember is on a ledge in Anor Londo on the way to the Giant Blacksmith and when you reach him, check out the chest behind him but don't agro' him for heaven's sake. You can edge round him carefully and the chest contains the Hawk Ring which extends bow range. Before that tho' some of the mobs drop either longbows or shortbows or you can buy one. You'll be surprised how many enemies you can take down at a distance with a bow and it's fun trying.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:52 pm

My first character died a sad death of me not being unable to understand the upgrade system.

Ahh back when nothing made sense.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:03 pm

If you're still having problems with the golems, I'd suggest fire. Fire weapons or Pyros work well.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:44 pm

Isn't fire the answer to everything? Especially zombies.
    ClassicBlaze
    ClassicBlaze
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ClassicBlaze Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:38 pm

My first character was a big mess, stats in the wrong places, bad choice for upgrades, all that bad stuff, yet I still play with him, he is my main, currently at SL 247, that just shows you that all you really need to beat this game is perseverance, so many bosses and areas had me almost giving up and throwing my controler out of the window, yet I shrugged it off and used my rage as a weapon to bludgeon through pretty much everything, now every npc knows not to mess with me 8)
    Villain1
    Villain1

Post by Villain1 Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:04 pm

Well, I went to the Demon Ruins and Ceaseless Discharge is no more! I've come to realise the problem is really more in my technique than anything else, as I three-shot the minor Capra down in the lava so strength is apparently not the issue... guess I'll just keep soldiering on in my own special way!

Anyone have any advice about the minor Tauruses? Cause I get steamrollered if I accidentally aggro more than one at a time...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:45 am