Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Forum Pirate
reim0027
Sentiel
Automancer
sure-magicians
DoughGuy
yajnaji
11 posters

lost at pvp - a rant

yajnaji
    yajnaji

lost at pvp - a rant Empty lost at pvp - a rant

Post by yajnaji Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:18 am

simply: i've been playing DS since day one, it's my favorite game ever, ps3 platinum trophy, etc, etc, etc...

but after one year (plus) doing it all, knowing every secret, playing it over and over and over again, i kinda needed something new, so... yeah, pvp!

it's fun, although a little broken and cheap, but i like it nevertheless because... well, i love evrything about this game.

problem is: started to try it like one month ago with a int build and i owned mostly every match just with a combination of pursuers and dark bead and it was so broken and cheap that i dropped it.

then i started to discover all the lovely pvp youtube channels out there and saw a lot of good matches and good players so i started a dex build and i love it, but... I SUCK at it! well, i'm not counting the cheap matches with the gankers, dark mages (*cough*), bs_fishers and all the lag - nothing i can do about it, but the "normal" matches (honorable players, 1v1, etc) I kinda won 5% of them.

this is not really a "i-suck-at-pvp-please-help-me-what-am-i-doing-wrong" thread, just a vent, so feel free to not give a ***.

btw, current build (do not intent to level more) at NG+: http://mmdks.com/p3e (second weapon of choice: furysword+5)

thank you for anything.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

lost at pvp - a rant Empty Re: lost at pvp - a rant

Post by DoughGuy Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:40 am

Not every playstyle is for everyone. Dex weapons might just not be your forte. You can try STR weapons or going back to magic. At lot of people still call dark magic cheap, but you can learn to dodge it and generally the people who complain are the ones you shouldnt care about complaining.
    sure-magicians
    sure-magicians
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by sure-magicians Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:07 am

yajnaji wrote:'' ..... ''

Hey I typed something similar a few days ago, well actually almost the same, having the very same issues as you are having, worse even since I lost almost ever fight.

Sadly I don't have any useful info for you, so my post is rather useless, just glad I'm not the only one...

If you are looking for practice fights, I'm up for it, most likely I'll lose but it will be a 'fair' match at least... happy
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:14 am

Sometimes, it's not always about how good your build is. Unlike PvE, PvP really tests you. How well you can adapt or adjust to a situation or even predicting your opponent's moves.

When you first start out, you're going to lose ALOT! That is not an exaggeration. It'll get frustrating but when you stick to it, you'll improve in time. Although the two thing i'd change for your build are the leggings the Clortanthy Ring. Switch to the Knight Leggings and Wolf Ring. It still retains the look and slightly more viable. Since you're just starting out, 0 poise is one of the reasons why you're losing alot. With 51 poise, you can tank a 2 handed greatsword attack? Also, no need for Cloranthy is you can grass and you have the Grass Crest Shield for god's sakes. =/
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:18 am

I agree with Dough.
    Maybe Dex isn't your cup of tea.

The best way to find what suits you, is to try everything. You may be suprised and find out that you like Axes, for example.

As soon as you find your very own playstyle and gear, no matter what it is, you will start to get a lot better and win most of your matches.

EDIT:
    Automancer wrote:0 poise is one of the reasons why you're losing alot. With 51 poise, you can tank a 2 handed greatsword attack?
    I think it's 53, or 54...not sure. I always rock 54 just to be sure.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:26 am

Sentiel wrote:
    Automancer wrote:0 poise is one of the reasons why you're losing alot. With 51 poise, you can tank a 2 handed greatsword attack?

53 is the cutoff for 2H Greatswords.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Poise
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:34 am

reim0027 wrote:
    Sentiel wrote:

53 is the cutoff for 2H Greatswords.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Poise
    I knew it was around there.
    Thank you. ^^
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:24 am

Disreguard all notions of "cheap" and you'll do better. Many people play to win. If you arn't willing to do whatever it takes short of hacking then you're always going to lose more than you need to.

Its in game, its fair game.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:51 am

use composite bow, not long bow. its draw time is alot faster
    hageshisa
    hageshisa
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by hageshisa Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:50 pm

Im not a pro around here, but i really think you should concider this instead: http://mmdks.com/p66
    I lowerd End since you wont need that much, also switched from int -> fth since WotG is a good spell to have if you are new to pvp. 53 poise to help you against 2h greatsword attacks and... Sunlight blade instaed of GMW. You could also switch any of the spell slots for great magic barrier to help you against bead spammers.
    CappuccinoJak
    CappuccinoJak
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CappuccinoJak Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:11 pm

it's probably super obvious, but know you weapon's move set in-n-out. during my spear days, i could just bait attacks and dodge-n-R1 and they still wouldn't adapt. also try to get familiar with other weapon's move sets or at least a general understanding of it.

i'm starting PvP and i died a bunch before i figured out how much consumable items help. i always carry lloyd's talimans, fire resin, lightning resin, and maybe some grass if i'm not using a stamina regen item.(talismans are awesome, when time correctly it almost always results in a free backstab)
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:45 pm

lol the poise link looks like its copy/pasted from ewgf's gamefaq post.

anyways, people like to say dex weapons are easy to use. yeah theyre easy to whip around- but don't be fooled theres a fair bit of skill required to use them properly..

so.. if you grabbed a kat because your heard others say it'd be easy don't bother. find something you like and learn that. if you want to use dex weapons tho, then stick with it and try to learn what you can with em.

and u have 0 poise. i could literally roll into you with thorn gloves on and cancel your attacks by staggering you. i'd consider getting more.

edit: yeah what glute said too.
    yajnaji
    yajnaji

Post by yajnaji Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:39 am

thanx a lot for your input, everyone.

a few points:

first of all, i've been trying with other weapons and it's turning out for the better. mainly the furysword and the gold tracer. need more practice of course, but from what i've seen so far: the katana is really not for me...

...neither are str weapons. i mean, i like them, but i always pve'ed with big weapons and i cant be that slow in pvp. my playstyle is fast attack and mobility.

SURE-MAGICIANS are you on psn? if so, add me: yajnaji and i will gladly try to arrange some duels with you. happy

DOUGH/SENTIEL: dex is for me (see above), just not the katana it seems. :p

in the meanwhile, changed the gear for this and it works a lot better: http://mmdks.com/pgd (thanx for the tip on the bow - will sort it out soon)

thanx again... i have a lot of work still to do, but i see an improvement already.

cheers
    yajnaji
    yajnaji

Post by yajnaji Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:26 pm

MAJOR UPDATE: if anyone cares... there has been a improved development in my pvp "career". i've
    been really busy trying (and getting) various different weapons, combos
    and playstyles and i'm having a decent amount of success in recent duels
    and fight clubs.

this is what i'm using: http://mmdks.com/qon

others weapons i tried/currently using once in a while:
    - scythe +15
    - furysword +5
    - chaos blade +5
    - sk spear +5
    - crest shield +5
    - longbow +15

since some weapons are heavier than others, i switch some armor pieces to maintain fast roll:
    - thief mask
    - black leather armor
    - sack

cheers all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 pm