Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Back Lot Basher
passivefamiliar
RANT
Sentiel
Forum Pirate
raecor14
10 posters

Chaos or Lightning after the patch

Poll

what would you use?

[ 17 ]
    Chaos or Lightning after the patch I_vote_lcap68%Chaos or Lightning after the patch I_vote_rcap [68%] 
    [ 8 ]
    Chaos or Lightning after the patch I_vote_lcap32%Chaos or Lightning after the patch I_vote_rcap [32%] 

Total Votes: 25
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Chaos or Lightning after the patch Empty Chaos or Lightning after the patch

Post by raecor14 Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:07 am

well, the patch has completely changed elemental weapons and i am going a gargoyle halberd build. this build uses an elemental halberd SO now, with the patch what one is better, chaos or lightning? please do not vote on the "i hate lightning therefore chaos" argument, because i want effectiveness.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Chaos or Lightning after the patch Empty Re: Chaos or Lightning after the patch

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:27 am

Lightning will probably do more damage most of the time, lightning defense is generally lower with metal armor.

I must say, elemental weapons really suck now, and they were sub par anyways. The scythe has a similar moveset and is pure dex, thats my recommendation if you have any intention of actually hurting your opponent.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:26 am

Fire.
    It doesn't need Humanity to dish out it's full potential.

If I have to pick from Chaos, or Lightning, then it's Chaos.

PvE wise, it's best to have both.
    PvP wise, I prefer Chaos, it seems to do a bit more damage than Lightning (speaking about up to 20 damage per hit max) most of the time and I hate the sound of Lightning, because it Lightning weapons were so abused in the past.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:34 am

chaos has always been better than lightning for crtis. chaos or lightning are pretty much the same now but it depends on your opponent's armor which in the end it barely matters since the damage difference is barely noticeable. i would go with chaos since the fire effect look more awesome. this i all for pvp btw.
    passivefamiliar
    passivefamiliar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by passivefamiliar Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:05 pm

Best option, if you can. Is to have both. And practice the menu swap. Or if you can just carry both. But menu swap would work well, if your one that remembers what armor is weaker to what then you can just swap before the fighting starts in most cases, or back off and do it during if your quick enough.

But in all reality it won't make a huge difference. Maybe its just me, but most of my fights don't end with very close health. A few strikes maybe, but not enough to be concerend with the minimal differences they will offer.

On the other hand, chaos means your running with more humanity intact so that would affect your defense values, right? So with that in mind, chaos is the better first response choice.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:44 pm

I use chaos on my rapier for really low level plays, and I have a lightning scythe as well. I like them both, but I guess if it comes down to it I like Chaos a bit more (and the humanity does help with defense).
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:43 pm

Chaos because of the criticals.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:06 am

what is this about crts? i though damage type didn't make a difference
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:04 am

Not enough love for lightning around here sad
    Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Ashran Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:15 am

raecor14 wrote:what is this about crts? i though damage type didn't make a difference

same question.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:39 am

Resistances dont apply on criticals so chaos with its larger AR is better.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:51 am

^ Not actually true. That rumor just won't die.

As I understand it, based on reim's testing, AR is multiplied on crits, so with the way damage is calculated, higher AR's (for elemental weapons) usually means more damage, despite a potentially higher resistance to the damage type you're using.

To demonstrate this, bs someone with a zweihander at 40str and 40 dex, then bs them with a lightning zweihander. The +15 will do more damage, if resistances didn't matter then the lightning would do more due to its higher AR.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:09 pm

Chaos still has better criticals.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:14 pm

Than lightning yes, I'm just sick of that rumor. Its been proven false, even if the exact mechanics arn't known.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:59 am

passivefamiliar wrote:Best option, if you can. Is to have both. And practice the menu swap. Or if you can just carry both. But menu swap would work well, if your one that remembers what armor is weaker to what then you can just swap before the fighting starts in most cases, or back off and do it during if your quick enough.

But in all reality it won't make a huge difference. Maybe its just me, but most of my fights don't end with very close health. A few strikes maybe, but not enough to be concerend with the minimal differences they will offer.

On the other hand, chaos means your running with more humanity intact so that would affect your defense values, right? So with that in mind, chaos is the better first response choice.
    sorry to revive a long dead thread but, you get the thanks for the detailed answer

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:44 am