Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Rifter7
Glutebrah
tinypantha
XachAttack
The Letter X
9 posters

I Just Can't Do It

The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

I Just Can't Do It Empty I Just Can't Do It

Post by The Letter X Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:52 pm

I've decided that I can no longer use STR weapons. After I switched from DEX to STR, I stopped winning most of my duels and invasions. I don't know if it's because I'm much too used to DEX weapons, I just don't have the mindset for STR weapons, or if DEX weapons truly are that much easier to use.

I can't punish people like I used to, they're too slow. The STR weapons I liked using were twice or more the weight of my favorite DEX weapons, causing me to sacrifice poise or HP to be able to maintain fast roll. There's always mid-roll and elemental weapons, but mid-rolling is too easy for me get punished with, and elemental damage is a joke compared to +15 and scaling.

Now I'm going to end my short rant by telling you all who use STR weapons that I have great respect for you. It takes special people to get around all of the things I listed and still do well. I'm satisfied with using a playstyle a majority of the people use when I know I can't handle the other playstyles.
    XachAttack
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

I Just Can't Do It Empty Re: I Just Can't Do It

Post by XachAttack Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:13 pm

It's the first two, you're too used to Dex weapons and they are indeed easier to use. I still think you should keep trying Str weapons, I don't know how long you've used either of them but still, don't give up \o/.

That feeling of achievement when you beat someone, or even when you almost do, is awesome compared to a Dex weapon.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:26 pm

I've tried them for close to a week now. I've used DEX weapons in PvP since I started to PvP, which is my join date on these forums, and I used them since I got the game 8 months ago in PvE.

I really do like the STR weapons, and I still almost had as good of a success rate with them in the Forest, but Forest gankers are overzealous and generally not skilled. I decided to duel for a bit in the Burg, and I got destroyed. The hosts were all pretty good, but they were so predictable that I nearly jumped out of my skin in anticipation for some nice punishing, but the weapons that I was using just couldn't pull it off. It felt terrible knowing I could have easily won those duels with DEX weapons, but I wanted to get better with STR weapons.
    tinypantha
    tinypantha
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by tinypantha Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:31 pm

STR weapons are easy to use when you Pivot. DEX is easy till you ravioli step. STR is like slow dancing while dex is whatever fastpace is called
    XachAttack
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XachAttack Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:32 pm

Well if you want to get better with Str weapons, then just keep trying them. It's possible you might need a bit of an easier target to kinda smooth you into it, if you weren't on Xbox I'de help you out. Just keep trying for another week or so, you seem competent so I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.

You just need to be really patient, may want to try midroll too for more poise and defense. The only thing with midroll is you just can't roll towards your opponent, that's it.

@Pantha: Salsa?
    tinypantha
    tinypantha
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by tinypantha Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:36 pm

@Xach Not a dancer so i guess

@X try Pivoting!!!
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:40 pm

Pivoting is the main thing I've been doing. Dead angles are ridiculously easy to get with UGS's, but as soon as I do it once, they toggle out and keep their distance from me for the rest of the fight.

I will continue to try them, but the chances of me fully switching to STR is decreasing every day.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:49 pm

use the Re enforced Club, i felt the same way as you until i started using that on my str.

the weapon is simply amazing once you get used to the short range.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:33 pm

lol use the washing pole.

my strength build is so familiar to the dex, i just.. i just don't know why! haha.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:40 pm

I consider the Washing Pole a hybrid weapon, and it's too easy to perform well with it.

I may try the reinforced club, but the reason I wanted to try out STR weapons was to use bigger weapons.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:48 pm

hahah.. dex weapons aren't exactly easy to use either.

if you look at a katana for example..
    sure they swing fast, but if you plan to use that to your advantage you have to know how most of the other weapons in the game work in order to exploit their gaps and get close without making a trade.
    you also have to know how to play unlocked if you want its roll r1 to be remotely effective..
    then you need to incorporate kicks and backstab techniques if that floats your boat.
    and things like insta dash, dead angling and proper use of the 1h r2s are important as well.

sure they swing fast, but most bigger weapons will be happy to make a trade with that r1.. thats where skill starts to come in.

also.. some people just play differently. maybe strength doesn't suite your playstyle.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:51 pm

I've encountered the same problem. I just couldn't hit. I've tried using tank approach and fast roll approach, but failed with both. Maybe I suck too much to use Str weapons.

I'm not trying to say Str weapons are bad, they're awesome and I respect anyone who defeats me with them, especially without resorting to bs fishing. I could never do that...
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:01 pm

strength weapons i find are reactive.. you have to read your enemy, catch em in rolls and ****, tell when theyre gonna parry and go for backstabs.. you get a heavy hit but it requires a different playstyle.

or u could just spam r1 unlocked- if even and hope that something happens, thats what most pubs do i find haha.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:04 pm

Don't worry, Str weapons just aren't your thing. Dex weapons ain't mine either.

I would rather sacrifice speed for raw defense and poise and trade hits with others. Well, only those silly enough to trade with my Stone Greataxe. When i tank, i'm able to prevent backstabs although i can't counter them. It feels weird for me to be hopping everywhere like a madman but i suppose that's one of the qualities of fast moving builds.

Last edited by Automancer on Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:04 pm

I'm thinking that STR just isn't meant for me. I know all of the movesets in the game - probably better than I should - but it still feels like DEX weapons are much easier to punish with. I know it goes "low risk, low reward" and "big risk, big reward," but I can use that low risk to wittle down my opponent's health without worrying about trading hits, be it DEX or STR weapons my opponent may be using.

And I really think DEX weapons are much more versatile than STR weapons. The only areas STR weapons shine are in stunlocking and dead angling, but DEX weapons can hit after kicks, some can stunlock, some can dead angle, are faster, are better wIth stamIna usage, have better jumping attacks In general, and some are almost as strong as STR weapons.

I've fought who some people consider the best of the best and have beaten them because I was able to outsmart them by getting around their parry attempts with the versatility of DEX weapons. STR weapons on the other hand are green lights for those who are exceptionally skilled to punish.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:06 pm

strength weapons are better at punishing.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:12 pm

I only think DEX weapons are easier to punish with, not better. I know people who are skilled with STR weapons and if you mess up more than once then it's a done deal. I've experienced it firsthand and I've done it to others. I like STR weapons, and I want to like them more than DEX weapons. But I just can't do that when I'm so competitive when it comes to PvP and my win rate drops by 70%.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:14 pm

why bother keeping track of a win loss ratio.. each their own i guess.

i keep track of a good fight to bad fight ratio hahaha.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:15 pm

Then go the quality path. A mix of Str and Dex weapons.

Here's a good example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJVsbl_S0Sc
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:23 pm

I'm just overly competitive when it comes to PvP; I'm someone who likes seeing a K/D ratio, and if I see it going up then it's proof that I'm getting better.

@Automancer I personally don't like quality builds because I like to use one thing and one thing only in my builds. I don't even use pyromancies or spells if I have leftover points in my build.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Well, you have to compromise something, one way or the other.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:00 pm

I'm probably going to try STR weapons for a few more days. If I'm not satisfied with my performance with them I'll just go back to DEX weapons, no harm no foul. I stand by my original post by saying I respect those who can stick with the bigger weapons.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:08 pm

Hey X if you need a training partner my door is open! I'm in need to run some test of my own, and an honest player is better than a random one.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:12 pm

There's nothing to be ashamed of if Str weapons really aren't your thing. Heck, i suck at Dex weapons but i won 8 consecutive invasions against gankers. Just perservere and look for whatever mistakes you think you're doing.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:19 pm

I'm not really ashamed of it, I'm confessing it with the thread title pretty much. And I think my biggest mistake was switching from DEX to STR lol!

And Soris, I may take you up on that offer if I haven't given up on them by the next time we're both online. We have only dueled once since I started using STR weapons, but I'm sure you can tell I'm more competent with DEX weapons.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:29 am