Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
Slarg232
ComaPrison
Acarnatia
Sloth9230
reim0027
Buggy Virus
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
ublug
Forum Pirate
Seignar
14 posters

Speculation Time: Morality System

Poll

Morality System?

[ 8 ]
    Speculation Time: Morality System I_vote_lcap57%Speculation Time: Morality System I_vote_rcap [57%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Speculation Time: Morality System I_vote_lcap29%Speculation Time: Morality System I_vote_rcap [29%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Speculation Time: Morality System I_vote_lcap14%Speculation Time: Morality System I_vote_rcap [14%] 

Total Votes: 14
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Speculation Time: Morality System Empty Speculation Time: Morality System

Post by Seignar Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:23 pm

There is going to be a "morality system", 100% confirmed, this means
    that evil players that are unlucky enough, might face a new enemy that
    pursues them, this enemy is the number eight.
    Okay, so we know that if you're evil, there is a chance that you're going to get a chariot knight at least once in your game.

So, since we have nothing else to go by. Let us do some speculating. What can we expect for being a "good" guy? What more can we expect from being a bad guy? Will we have any motivations for being "consistently" evil other than triggering evil events? How about being "good"? Will this system succeed or fail?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Speculation Time: Morality System Empty Re: Speculation Time: Morality System

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:40 pm

Gut says fail. Morality systems are artificially enforced bull **** in most any game anyways, let alone the moraly ambiguous soul series.

(for example, withholding help because you believe it will better the person isn't considered. You refused to help, so you're evil.)
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:04 pm

Where did the quote come from?

I voted 'will work' because they have had two goes at it already, character tendency and sin. I guess this is mostly multi-player and covenant related, to help decide matchmaking, but the 'new enemy' is probably also for single-player. Morality together with a dedicated server could be a good thing if done right, but the p2p system of dks wasn't really up to scratch.

History
    Good in the past: Increased damage while helping, more health, gifts from npcs, unlock npcs as summons, less likely to be invaded (way of white).
    Bad in the past: Less health, increased damage while invading, additional sidequest, plot twists, more likely to be invaded (darkmoon blades).
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:06 pm

If the world ends tomorrow, tell my wife I said "hello."
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:09 pm

We already have sin, which was annoying because it was impossible to track and you couldn't really understand its correlation between it and invasion. Threshing it out and making it clear will be much better.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:09 pm

I vote for fail. Nobody can agree on what compromises "evil". But, it might be fun for those "evil" people. They may do evil things to get the invaders to show up. You never know.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:14 pm

But none of those things are really good or bad. They're more light and dark. Thats not morality, the good and bad so far is entirely perspective.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:18 pm

Where did the quote come from?
    Chizfreak's stickied thread.

If the world ends tomorrow, tell my wife I said "hello."
    Should have left that post for tomorrow. World ends 21st not 20th!
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:32 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:But none of those things are really good or bad. They're more light and dark. Thats not morality, the good and bad so far is entirely perspective.

Having taken an ethics class, morality in general is a matter of perspective. In this case we're simply going by what the directors consider good and bad.

And I really don't think not helping a a person gank would be considered evil, how would the game even know? Oh god I hope the rating system from Dark Souls doesn't return :|
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:38 pm

Its not supposed to be simple. I don't care what the devs think is good or bad. The ambiguity in the morality in the series isn't imposing judgement without the understanding reasoning. Thats what morality systems do.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:46 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:Its not supposed to be simple. I don't care what the devs think is good or bad. The ambiguity in the morality in the series isn't imposing judgement without the understanding reasoning. Thats what morality systems do.

I didn't mean their real life idea of good and bad, I meant what they conder good or bad action in the game. Without a morality system you can't play a good or bad character, this would just increase the RP perspective of the game. The current sin system already does that.

Is it ambiguous in real life? yes. That doesn't mean the game developers can't define morality as part of their vision for the game.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:01 pm

I think the developers would have to be very wise indeed to make a satisfactory morality system-I think wiser than anyone in video games will ever be. It may be possible; I think it will never be done well.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:04 pm

Morality systems hinder role playing by imposing judgement without understanding. You can be evil without the game saying YOU ARE EVIL, but its hard to be good if the game tells you you're wrong.

The sin is evil as defined by the gods, who are not necessarily good. Its written on the walls (almost literally) that the gods moralities are questionable.

Look at my previous example. That could be the most kind hearted and friendly person in the world, but for refusing help because he believes it better for him to do it themselves is evil? I call bs. Because right and wrong are perspective, morality systems are bs.

Now the person who asked for help being bitter, or even hostile, because you deny them help is reasonable. -1 karma is not.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:11 pm

I really doubt that the game will mark you as evil for not helping someone.

"The sin is evil as defined by the gods, who are not necessarily good."

The morality system may very well work in this way, did you consider that? Maybe it's Velka/some other god judging us this time.

And I always hated the Sin system anyway, I don't see why killing gankers makes me a sinner, that and Gyndolins a lil b!tch(come at me Darkmoons!). But it's a gameplay feature and I've come to accept it.

ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:17 pm

Morality system would be a failure. Morality is something that should be roleplayed in your head, not measured by the game. Continue giving us the option to kill all NPCs...and making us live with the consequences. As it is, they already eased thing up for us by seeking absolution from that church tower npc. Of course, you could just kill him too hahah.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:22 pm

ComaPrison wrote:Morality system would be a failure. Morality is something that should be roleplayed in your head, not measured by the game. Continue giving us the option to kill all NPCs...and making us live with the consequences. As it is, they already eased thing up for us by seeking absolution from that church tower npc. Of course, you could just kill him too hahah.

Indeed, anyone who laughs that ominously,mockingly deserves to die!
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:24 pm

Then it has been incorrecly labled a morality system, because thats not what it is (and I won't discount that possibly) its simply a measurement of what velka thinks of your morality, a judgement by a character rather than the game itself. Thats little different than the "spurned" guy being bitter you didn't help, but any way (short of interracting with velka or someone close to her, maybe an enchanted item like the book of the guilty) that her judgement is conveyed (karma, darkside points, evil points, ect) especially if its in the form of a slider is still an extension of the artificial "morality" systems polarized thinking that limits role playing and discourages thought. Just play "good" or "evil" for the endings.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:27 pm

I still don't know whether the darklord ending is good or bad, and i like that about the game. But I don't think a morality system would be that big of a deal.

And I hate slider morality systems, how I can go from good to bad with only a few actions astounds me(I'm looking at you fallout 3!)
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:01 am

I would like something like Tendancy to come back, never played DeS, but it seemed like a cool idea. Having said that, such Morality/Tendancy should be restricted to online play only, and other than an extra baddy or two coming at me, shouldn't affect my SP experiance.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:05 am

Most video game morality systems tend to feel annoyingly artificial. As others have said, they tend to feel more like the developer's sense of morality being imposed on you, not that of the actual game itself. Moral ambiguity is much more preferable, especially in a world like that of the Souls games.

Extending and expanding the covenant system is a much more preferable idea. There should be a complex consequence system. The ultimate purpose of morality systems is one thing: realistic and interesting consequences A basic example would be a monster or assassin from one covenant hunting you down for betraying them. Another example would be killing someone from another covenant, and being hunted by NPC and player members of that covenant. Before you just go and kill an NPC, you better make sure that this person has no connection with a powerful covenant that you fear. Or you could do it on purpose to wage war with a particular covenant.

Instead of having absolution, let there be some type of homage that you have to pay to that particular covenant in order to earn their forgiveness. Perhaps some dangerous pilgrimage, or maybe just killing someone from their rival covenant.

Of course its about much more than just who you kill and who you don't kill. You can build rep with certain covenants by helping out player members via coop. Let there be deep progression paths within each covenant, with more items and equipment to earn the higher you rank. Of course betrayal by higher ranked players calls for greater punishments.

Forget a silly and childish morality system, this is much more interesting
    eminusx
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by eminusx Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:24 pm

MasterofShadows wrote:
    Extending and expanding the covenant system is a much more preferable idea. There should be a complex consequence system. The ultimate purpose of morality systems is one thing: realistic and interesting consequences A basic example would be a monster or assassin from one covenant hunting you down for betraying them. Another example would be killing someone from another covenant, and being hunted by NPC and player members of that covenant. Before you just go and kill an NPC, you better make sure that this person has no connection with a powerful covenant that you fear. Or you could do it on purpose to wage war with a particular covenant.

Instead of having absolution, let there be some type of homage that you have to pay to that particular covenant in order to earn their forgiveness. Perhaps some dangerous pilgrimage, or maybe just killing someone from their rival covenant.

Of course its about much more than just who you kill and who you don't kill. You can build rep with certain covenants by helping out player members via coop. Let there be deep progression paths within each covenant, with more items and equipment to earn the higher you rank. Of course betrayal by higher ranked players calls for greater punishments.

Forget a silly and childish morality system, this is much more interesting

This is a far better idea than a morality system! Properly building on the Covenants could add a great deal to the community aspect oF DS, if done properly as above, it could be a really deep, rich gameplay element in itself. It would be another reason to keep creating new builds that are dedicated to specific covenants. The bounty hunter/hunted aspect could be brilliant, loyalty, betrayal. . .vengeance!

really into this idea!
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:34 pm

We already have a morality system, though in true souls style you get nothing for being good, and penalties for 'sinning'.

Personally, I don't mind it really, it takes nothing from the game. If the morality system is like the one we have at the moment it's fine, but going into the typical faux-morality that there is in other games would really suck.
    RedderAI
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by RedderAI Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Before everyone jumps on the "morality systems suxxx!!!!" bandwagon, we have absolutely no I fra how this one works. Seriously guys, waitin for info will probably change your views on some things.

Anyways I have total faith in From to hit it big with this game. I also think they will do wonders to this morality system. I always felt that sin was never really all that important. I honestly would get a darkroom invasion about twice a week. Wich is nothin compared to the hundreds of DW invasions. This new system wil be better then what we have now it seems like. Deeper progression and more involvement in gameplay is what were looking for.

Great suggestions for bettering the morality system too guys!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:42 pm