Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Forum Pirate
IceIfrit666
6 posters

Should I get any Shin Megami Tensei games?

IceIfrit666
    IceIfrit666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Should I get any Shin Megami Tensei games? Empty Should I get any Shin Megami Tensei games?

Post by IceIfrit666 Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:12 pm

I really want to get into this series and Persona.
    I have a PSP, NDS, PS2, and an Xbox 360 so I should be able to get some of them.
    Are any of them good? Are there any that are recommended?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Should I get any Shin Megami Tensei games? Empty Re: Should I get any Shin Megami Tensei games?

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:18 pm

Yes. Assuming you like jrpgs in the truest sense. We're talking 4 hours in and haven't accomplished jack crap, spend most of your time talking to people for stat bonuses type stuff. The remaining 1/3rd of the game is dungoen (spelling) crawling.

I love them, especially 3 for the ps2 but they're really not for everybody.
    IceIfrit666
    IceIfrit666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Should I get any Shin Megami Tensei games? Empty Re: Should I get any Shin Megami Tensei games?

Post by IceIfrit666 Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:41 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:Yes. Assuming you like jrpgs in the truest sense. We're talking 4 hours in and haven't accomplished jack crap, spend most of your time talking to people for stat bonuses type stuff. The remaining 1/3rd of the game is dungoen (spelling) crawling.

I love them, especially 3 for the ps2 but they're really not for everybody.
    Well that sounds like something I'd like.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:00 pm

Then you'll probably love it. I really like the combat as well, and the crafting.

The combats one of those things where you probably know wether or not you can win 2 turns in. its turn based and reliant on exploiting enemies weakness to stun them and set up combos.

The crafting is tough to describe, but how quickly you get that down will be the biggest factor for the games difficulty. You create Personas, by combining Personas that you find. Each Personas is associated with one of the greater arcana (think tarot cards). To make stronger personas in an arcana, you have to strengthen your relationship with the corresponding NPC by talking with them, going on dates ect.

The thing is, you only have so many days in game and each activity takes half of one, and you have to balance them with studying, strengthening your character and dungoen crawling, all of which also take either half a day or all day.

I hope I'm helping and not confusing you.
    IceIfrit666
    IceIfrit666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by IceIfrit666 Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:37 pm

Now is this just Persona or is this SMT as well?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:53 pm

I was talking about persona, I haven't played the others side of the series, for lack of a better term.

Sorry, I should have been clear on that.
    Elite Knight
    Elite Knight
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elite Knight Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:54 pm

Get. Persona 3. Now.
    IceIfrit666
    IceIfrit666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by IceIfrit666 Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:43 pm

Elite Knight wrote:Get. Persona 3. Now.
    Yes master... :Baal02:
    Also isn't that the one where they shoot themselves to summon their persona?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:44 pm

Yes
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:49 pm

Shin Megami Tensei - Lucifer's Call is my favourite. It was the first Shin Megaten I ever played. The graphics blew me away because they were so different from other games around at the time and Dante makes an appearance! It's no pushover though, one boss, the Matador had me grinding my teeth down to stubs. I played Persona 3 but I couldn't get on with it the same. The focus was to teenager orientated for me and I got fed up of having to go to school and don't get me started on the noodles.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:01 pm

Lol.

Would it have been better if he went to the office every day and instead of studying he made powerpoints and spread sheets? Lol.

There are a lot of bad food-related jokes.
    NinesVoerman

Post by NinesVoerman Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:03 am

Yes you definitely should. They're all rather difficult games and require some serious strategy to get through. If you like challenge (We're on a Dark Souls forum, you DO like challenge) I'd try Nocturne (Lucifer's Call in the UK) because that's the hardest IMO. Persona 4 is probably the best though.
    Rudmed
    Rudmed
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Rudmed Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:56 pm

Stange Journey is the only Shin Megami Tensi game I have right, but the persona series is amazing. They're both quite similair and I doubt one could go wrong with either. The difficulty is there, trust me after seeing one of my comrades drop from one hit from a boss demon....I thought, "How on earth am I going to beat this thing?"

I've also had bosses 1 shot me due to them hitting my weakness. So yeah...it gets hard...really hard.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:03 am