Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

I'll probably look like a newb for this but...

Shindori
    Shindori
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

I'll probably look like a newb  for this but... Empty I'll probably look like a newb for this but...

Post by Shindori Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:39 am

How do i calculate a weapon's AR/ how do i know how much AR i need to stunlock?
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

I'll probably look like a newb  for this but... Empty Re: I'll probably look like a newb for this but...

Post by Rynn Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:41 am

Ar does not attribute to stunlock.
    The weapon class does. Like a straightsword with 900 AR will stunlock worse then a greatsword with 120 AR
    Shindori
    Shindori
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

I'll probably look like a newb  for this but... Empty Re: I'll probably look like a newb for this but...

Post by Shindori Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:47 am

okay. But how do i calculate AR and what is it used for then?
    Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Siegfried. Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:48 am

A weapon's AR is listed in your stats. The AR is tricksy, though, because it gets reduced by armour but nor does it always show all your bonuses. For instance, two-handing a weapon increases your damage due to additional strength, but there's another "invisible" bonus that doesn't show up in your AR. It seems to depend on the weapon, or perhaps its level. But the bonus seems more significant for straight swords and curved swords than anything else, at least in my experience.

Essentially, AR is your raw damage against a target with 0 defense. So you can generally expect your real damage to be less than your AR, although with the invisible two-handing bonus, your real damage can sometimes exceed your AR. Basically, AR is a good general guide of how much damage you'll be dealing in relation to all the conditions present in a battle. You'll probably deal something like half your AR or less to an exceptionally tough enemy, but you'll deal most of your AR to weaker mooks.

As for poise damage, that has nothing to do with AR. Every weapon has a poise damage value according to its weapon class. I'm playing it fast and loose here, but these are the general values, the first being a one-handed light hit and the second being a two-handed light hit. No idea about heavy attacks.

• Daggers, Fist Weapons and Thrusting Swords: 6/10
    • Straight Swords, Curved Swords, Katanas and Spears: 20/30
    • Greatswords, Axes and Hammers: 30/50
    • Ultra-Greatswords, Large Axes and Large Hammers: 50/70

There are some exceptions in each group, but for the most part, this is how it works. Also note that the values up there are general; if you want to resist a two-handed sword hit or a one-handed greatsword hit, I'd recommend having something like 36 poise, just to make sure you don't get taken unawares.

Poise stacks with continuous hits, and seems to recover after a few seconds (three or four, perhaps?). So one ultra-greatsword hit, two-handed (which I believe deals exactly 75 poise damage) is worth four one-handed straight sword hits. Both will stagger an adversary with the same poise value, but the ultra-greatsword gets it done more efficiently.
    Shindori
    Shindori
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Shindori Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:01 am

Thanks for that c:
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:02 am

Siegfried. wrote:A weapon's AR is listed in your stats. The AR is tricksy, though, because it gets reduced by armour but nor does it always show all your bonuses. For instance, two-handing a weapon increases your damage due to additional strength, but there's another "invisible" bonus that doesn't show up in your AR. It seems to depend on the weapon, or perhaps its level. But the bonus seems more significant for straight swords and curved swords than anything else, at least in my experience.

Essentially, AR is your raw damage against a target with 0 defense. So you can generally expect your real damage to be less than your AR, although with the invisible two-handing bonus, your real damage can sometimes exceed your AR. Basically, AR is a good general guide of how much damage you'll be dealing in relation to all the conditions present in a battle. You'll probably deal something like half your AR or less to an exceptionally tough enemy, but you'll deal most of your AR to weaker mooks.

As for poise damage, that has nothing to do with AR. Every weapon has a poise damage value according to its weapon class. I'm playing it fast and loose here, but these are the general values, the first being a one-handed light hit and the second being a two-handed light hit. No idea about heavy attacks.

• Daggers, Fist Weapons and Thrusting Swords: 6/10
    • Straight Swords, Curved Swords, Katanas and Spears: 20/30
    • Greatswords, Axes and Hammers: 30/50
    • Ultra-Greatswords, Large Axes and Large Hammers: 50/70

There are some exceptions in each group, but for the most part, this is how it works. Also note that the values up there are general; if you want to resist a two-handed sword hit or a one-handed greatsword hit, I'd recommend having something like 36 poise, just to make sure you don't get taken unawares.

Poise stacks with continuous hits, and seems to recover after a few seconds (three or four, perhaps?). So one ultra-greatsword hit, two-handed (which I believe deals exactly 75 poise damage) is worth four one-handed straight sword hits. Both will stagger an adversary with the same poise value, but the ultra-greatsword gets it done more efficiently.
    The exact poises are 17, 36, 53, and 77 for two handed.
    Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Siegfried. Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:08 am

^^ Happy to help.

^ And thank you for that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:17 pm