Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
Deathsitexxi
Siegfried.
WyrmHero
SlakeMoth
The_Flail
vatar5
StockpileThomas
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Wade_Wilson
Mr. Tart
14 posters

Resident Evil 6 anyone?

SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Resident Evil 6 - Resident Evil 6 anyone? - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil 6 anyone?

Post by SlakeMoth Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:39 am

Nope, I have no intention of playing it because after Resident Evil 4, which , in my opinion was a great game, it would just be an anti-climax. Resi 4 was the icing on the cake for me. I tried Resident Evil 5 and hated it, so I'll not sully my memories of a great series of games with this one.

Fine if you like it though, enjoy.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Resident Evil 6 - Resident Evil 6 anyone? - Page 2 Empty Re: Resident Evil 6 anyone?

Post by WyrmHero Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:55 am

Never really interested in the franchise I don't know why. Might try the demo but the constant milking keeps me away from it.
    Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Siegfried. Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:59 am

StockpileThomas wrote:I have to say, I'm disappointed by the reviews, but I liked the demo. Everyone dogs the game for its frequent cut scenes and "poor" story... But all the RE games have crap stories and that's part of the camp value. We'll see. A lot of people didn't care for RE5 either, but I loved that game despite its problems.

Not to mention, even BAD games can be fun in co-op. I guess I'll find out how good or bad this game is this weekend when I power through it with my buddy.

Prayer

Resident Evil didn't always have a bad story. Or perhaps it did, but the first couple of games didn't tell much of it. One of the major factors whenever delivering a horror story, in any format, is the use of ambiguity and vagueness. Resident Evil used to deliver on that brilliantly; for all the camp, there was a genuine feeling of severe horror because we just didn't understand what was going on. Then we find out it was a virus that got out of hand, commissioned by a powerful corporation.

So the first game, at least, was elegant and graceful in the way it combined the usual zombie theme (wherein zombies are a reflection of mindless compulsion, but real evil is an intellectualised trait that has to be willingly participated in) with a man-made catastrophe. In most zombie-related stuff, the virus in question is pretty much random. In Resident Evil, it was a result of corporate greed. So not only are the zombies used for the discussion noted above, but the setup goes a step further in discussing how we can be complicit in our own demise.

Of course, the voice acting kind of got in the way of that. Unless you played REmake on the Gamecube, which was all kinds of beautiful (especially Jill :oops: ).

We've had a lot of sequels since then, as well as a prequel and multiple spinoffs. Five sequels, a remake, a prequel, and I'm pretty sure there have been just as many spinoff games. We're looking at nearly twenty titles in the Resident Evil catalogue. And the sad fact is that no horror franchise lasts twenty installments, because horror preys on our ignorance. Twenty games is plenty of time with which to domesticate the monsters and acclimatise ourselves to their strengths and weaknesses.

This isn't the first time a horror franchise has been ruined by endless cash-ins. The Alien franchise is in horrible disarray these days because so much material has been created, and it's robbed Giger's monster of all the possibilities it had beforehand. Today, we tend to think of Aliens as stupid swarm beasts, but before the numerous sequels, comics, games and so on, we weren't even sure if Aliens were completely biological. Did they have a mechanical aspect? Or were they, perhaps, even supernatural in some ways? We couldn't be sure. Until it was all explained to us in new materials, at which point the consumerist fans were made happy, but those of us who preferred the horror our own imagination could conjure had nothing left to look forward to in the franchise.

And these aren't the only examples. Every single long-running horror franchise or concept goes down the drain if it's overexposed, and I think the latest victim might be Slenderman. That guy is memetically popular right now, but that just ensures that everyone who who and what Slenderman is. It might not be long until there's nothing left for people who actually appreciate horror and Slenderman maintains entertainment value only as a social meme, perhaps as a "must experience" kind of character.

All these things are why folkloric monsters tend to survive throughout the ages; there are no consistent rules. Medieval Europe didn't have zombies -- it had wights, revenants, draugr and vampires. And these were all, essentially, the same monster with different cultural commentary. They shared powers and behaviour, but each story altered at least a few aspects, and it all ended up implying that there was no standardisation when it came to these beasts; each one was as unique as the person who become one of these demons.

In short, Resident Evil went on for too long, explained too much and imposed too many rules on itself. There was always some significant cheese to it, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be scary at times as well. And it was scary because we were ignorant of what we were up against or why we were up against these things. In many ways, little has technically changed in the series. But the one thing that has drastically changed is the way we understand and interact with our ignorance or lack thereof, and that fundamentally alters horror.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:30 am

@Sieg:
    Interesting bit of text you got there.

As for the RE series, i didn't get RE6 because it was scary, because it's not, i did not expect of it to be anything like a horror game, but the game itself is enjoyable, although the story seems perhaps only to me, perhaps not, repeated. Usually i demand a good story, but i love the gameplay in the game, and to me, i loved RE4, so to me, this was like a lookback on RE4s gameplay, i wanted to re-experience the joy i had, without having to buy RE4, because it seems hard to get, and i refuse to buy it on XBL. So, to cut things short, i bought the game because i loved the gameplay of it, nothing else.
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:02 pm

Mr. Tart wrote:@Sieg:
    Interesting bit of text you got there.

As for the RE series, i didn't get RE6 because it was scary, because it's not, i did not expect of it to be anything like a horror game, but the game itself is enjoyable, although the story seems perhaps only to me, perhaps not, repeated. Usually i demand a good story, but i love the gameplay in the game, and to me, i loved RE4, so to me, this was like a lookback on RE4s gameplay, i wanted to re-experience the joy i had, without having to buy RE4, because it seems hard to get, and i refuse to buy it on XBL. So, to cut things short, i bought the game because i loved the gameplay of it, nothing else.

And honestly Tart I think that’s where RE6 will get a bad rep. I think most people are exhausted playing third person shooters. This year we’ve had a ton of them come out, Mass Effect 3, Spec Ops: The Line, and a ton of TPS trying to do something “different” with a gimmick (Inversion anyone?). I’m not saying that RE6 is bad, there are portions of it I actually enjoy (mostly Leons/Adas campaigns. This is however why you’re going to see such varied reviews or opinions on this game it’s really unavoidable with the TPS market being the way it is now. After reading a lot of people commenting on multiple websites, I for one would like to say I don’t think RE4 as a game had a lot to do with the downfall of the series. I do however think the huge success of RE4 did cause the developers to stop trying to innovate the series though, and with an oversaturation of TPS out there (helped by RE4’s huge success) people that play TPS a lot are just going to be tired of the gameplay. However, if you have not drown yourself in TPS recently I can totally see this game being much more enjoyable, and to me that’s what it sounds like it is with you.

On another note…. Have you finish Leon’s chapters? And if so what was your fave part? >=O

*Edit Oh and I'm not a huge fan of the QTE business in the RE series. I played Asura’s Wrath and enjoyed it, but QTE should not be overused in a game like RE. Also, I was extremely disappointed in Chris chapters, the camera pissed me off in his sections….
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:24 pm

@DeathSite:

I understood RE6 would get mixed reviews the day i saw the trailer. It was too obvious, as for 3PS, i love such games, however, there are few that has ever managed to please me so far. For example, i NEVER enjoyed any of the ME games, though i'm willing to give ME3 a new shot when my friend comes for visit. As for RE4, i'm quite sure you're right there, and..not much else to say there. As for the RE series itself, i'd probably say the reason, based upon my beliefs and nothing else, is that it went downhill after RE4 simply because, well, they kind of lost the atmosphere somehow, atleast that's how i feel about it.

As for Leons campaign, i kind of took a break after having a hard time on the cemetary getting into the sanctuary, y'know the area with an ?infinite? amount of monsters spawning, so i went on to Chris campaign and finished it, but to answer your question, so far, i've LOVED the cemetary, even though it gave me a rough time. It had the right atmosphere, and it truly reminded me of RE4, the same feeling, at that's what i wanted from RE6, what i hoped for, and what i got. So, yeah, i loved the cemetary the most, based upon nothing more than the atmosphere, of course that could change, got one chapter to go! And you never told me yours, which one did you prefer? And don't worry about spoiling the 5th one if it's somewhere in that chapter, i'll probably be finished with it before i've read your comment anyway, and if you're on XBL, you up for some co-op?
    Edit: On another side note, i think it might be possible that the reason why i haven't gotten tired of RE yet is because i've only played through RE4, RE5 and now RE6, so it's kind of hard for me to have gotten tired of it already, that and i have little experience with Capcom, meaning, i ain't bought **** from them before.
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:34 pm

Unfortunately, I’m a PS3tard. I’ve got all the systems for me and wife but I mainly play that lol. If you play ME3 when your friend comes you’ll see why RE6 might get a bad rep too. I for one think that Bioware tweeked the formula so much they really changed the series into something other than an in depth RPG leveling and upgrade system (which I dislike), but the shooting, cover system, etc is so smooth you can’t help but like it. As for the story it’s always been kind of meh for me because I’m not a huge space type science fiction fan (unless it’s Zone of the Enders… HD collection coming soon YEAH), but I enjoyed it enough to platinum it on PS3 if that says anything. ME2 is also great if you want a tiny bit more RPG in your game…

The cemetery part does have a lot of atmosphere, I did like that area. If you’re having a tough time, remember when in doubt melee the crap out of everything (it’s pretty OP in the game IMO) even if my wife played that part and I watched >_>; oh and shoot’um in the head…. Also, starting off with RE4 and RE5 isn’t such a bad thing, RE1-3 and RE:CV are like completely different games. RE1 is good but the Gamecube remake is where it’s at. However, RE2-3 are the best in the series IMO. That is a lot of nostalgia talking though… trying to go back and play them can be a little painful as far as controls go!

If you want to give Capcom a little more of a try I’d say two of the best series at Capcom right now are the Monster Hunter games (if you have the system for it) and Dragon’s Dogma. I highly recommend Dragon’s Dogma (being its multiplatform and all) if you have the time. You’re in the Dark Souls Forum so I’m assuming you like challenging games so it might be better for you to wait to get it until they add the “Hard Mode”. I say that because yes the in the beginning the game is pretty hard… but you’ll soon over lvl yourself and ROFLstomp through the game lol. The game is addicting but it’s more like caffeine to Dark Souls nicotine lol.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:04 pm

As for ME3, i'm really just giving it another shot since my friend wants me to get it so bad, so yeah. Shrug
    The Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma games haven't exactly caught my attention to be honest, i did enjoy the Dead Rising games(they're made by Capcom if i'm not mistaken) though, not enough to buy the games, but meh.

Too bad you're not playing much on the xbox, if you do happen to be playing my GT is in the sig, so just msg me if you wish to play RE6, Dark Souls, or any other game we might have in common, y'know, if you'd ever be interested.
    Back to RE6, i just finished Leons campaign, and i did like the idea of getting back to where the tutorial took place, felt like a good move made by them, kind of. Though i'd probably have to say the cemetary is still my top 1 for Leons campaign. And yeah, gotta love the melee, though i try not using it too much or i end up wasting my stamina. I don't like that. Nope, not at all. I usually just tend to roll to the side and send a bullet to the head, usually does the trick, and if it doesn't, shotgun seems to do enough, it did work earlier anyway, so yay for that! Joy
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:37 am

Well despite what seems to be popular opinion here, Im really enjoying it also. It's unfortunate, but RE of the past is dead, probably even if we do get that improbable RE2 remake. It just doesn't seem to be what capcom wants to make anymore. Even though I'm not super pleased about that fact, I'm not going to let it hamper my enjoying, what really is, a fun game, and that's coming from a huge survival horror fan.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:42 am

Heh, knew i'd see you around here sooner or later. Well, if you happen to be playing it on x360 then perhaps we could play some time. big grin
    I really haven't got much to say at the moment as my opinion has basically been stated on this topic already.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:54 am

I would, but I'm a Ps3 user. I've actually been playing the campaigns offline too. After my experience playing RE5 online, I was a little iffy about jumping right into the main game of this one that way. I found most people on 5 to be a little obnoxious. I like to take my time and really experience the game, and it seems like most other people want infinite ammo rocket launchers. I intend to try it after my first play through. Hopefully it isn't as bad this time around.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:59 am

Yeah, idk about infinite launchers. I've seen people speaking about it but i've unliked no such perk(or whatever you'd like to call it) though i have every other weapon with infinite ammo. As for doing the co-op, i've avoided it in campaign as i do not wish to have myself look like a complete failure. :suspect:

Though i probably shouldn't worry about it, i've done damn well in mercenaries actually. big grin
    The agent hunt is kind of boring though, to be honest. You die way too easily, wish is understandable of course, or no one would even use it to begin with. Though it can be fun when you get that one strong monster and just beat the **** out of the host. Heh, i ''invaded'' a guy who was afk doing it solo. I decided i'd kill him simply because i had been trying to ''invade'' for quite some time. That computer controlled character kicked my *** at the start, but i finally got him thanks to another ''invader'' who distracted the cc character. big grin
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:12 am

Yeah I've definitely been getting down on some mercenaries also. A lack of map variety is definitely one of the things I'm a little disappointed with. Though I've heard rumor of a possible mercs DLC?

In campaign I just feel like part of the experience of the game is the constant inventory decisions, part of why I loved RE4 so much, the attache system was great, but you lose all that with infinite ammo unlocks. Yeah, it's fun to do it sometimes and just blast the crap out of everything, but that's just not what I'm looking for on my first play through ya know?

I've only tried agent hunt once so far. It's a neat idea. I'm not convinced at how well executed it was yet though. So far all I've managed to spawn as is a rotting cemetery zombie, which was like trying to control gumby after he's fallen off of pokey at galloping speed. Attacking the agents outside the church was fun though, like being part of a big pack of zombies. I guess if you have a head set, and get lucky enough to spawn with other players, you can hunt as a coordinated hoard. Which I have to say sounds pretty great.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:21 am

All monsters are hard to play as one way or another. Either the controls are terrible or the characters attacks/moveset is hard to control or complicated, however, i believe they did that on purpose as not to ruin anothers campaign but to expand the experience. For example, those big boulder guys with the stone like skin, to do the rush attack you would have to pres 1 button and then the other, doing it wrong would only have you hit your chest and waste time.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:25 am

Yeah that logic actually does make a lot of sense. I guess I'd be pretty irritated if I was far into a level and an invader kept spawning and killing me over and over and over.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:27 am

Haha, yeah. I have yet to dare activating it myself while playing though. Idk, just doesn't seem safe(i wonder why?). :silent:
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:36 am

Yeah I haven't either. I'd feel more confident doing it if I knew I had a decent partner, but something about fighting a player controlled creater/creaters, alongside a computer aided companion whose AI was created by the same people who created Sheva's AI doesn't sit well with me. But I should clarify also that I haven't had really any problems with my AI partners, outside of really little things.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:39 am

I hate the commands though. ''Wait here'' ''Gotcha''

3 seconds later

*rushes the enemy*

What the...
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:03 am

Most of them don't seem all that effective either. I only ever really use 'fall back' and it only seems to work sometimes. Still more than Sheva had though. She only had 'use your pistol' or 'waste my good ammo'

speaking of which, how fantastic is it that you no longer have to feed your partner ammo or health supplies? so much better imo
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:06 am

Hah, yeah, that's awesome. I hated the fact that i would have to give away ammo once in a while. Now all i have to do is hide behind a crate while crying for my mother and my partner handles it all. 8)

Edit: I was not sarcastic btw xD
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:27 am

ahahaha

Speaking of crying for your mother, I know this is a little off topic, but have you played Slender? I've just discovered that whole thing a couple nights ago, and my god. It's unbelievable what that guy created with so little. I can't remember a game that had me as terrified.

Last edited by PlasticandRage on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:28 am

Like a boss. 8)
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:32 am

ninja'd me
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:36 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnaCAVLDy0o
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:39 am

I don't get it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:28 am