Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
fujiphoenix
callipygias
SunlightCrusader
Reaperfan
lordgodofhell
russiannightmare
Forum Pirate
Azran
Spurgun
Phantasmio
PaPaSmVrf
ViralEnsign_
17 posters

The Rise of the Dex Weapon Clones! (Spoilers)

ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

The Rise of the Dex Weapon Clones! (Spoilers) Empty The Rise of the Dex Weapon Clones! (Spoilers)

Post by ViralEnsign_ Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:49 am

Yup with all this frenzied discussion revolving around the ridiculous DWGR we all know that being as light a possible is going to be the way to go for most PvPer's.

Thus I see a rise of the Dex Weapons on the horizons

Sure Strength will still be viable....just less viable than now.

So its the end of Havel Flipping tanks but mayhaps its the rise of Locked BS's and all out katana warefare.......geez I hope not.
    PaPaSmVrf
    PaPaSmVrf
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

The Rise of the Dex Weapon Clones! (Spoilers) Empty Re: The Rise of the Dex Weapon Clones! (Spoilers)

Post by PaPaSmVrf Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:52 am

If it turns into that then I am glad my internets down, although I do miss being able to help others and invading in blighttown...
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

The Rise of the Dex Weapon Clones! (Spoilers) Empty Re: The Rise of the Dex Weapon Clones! (Spoilers)

Post by ViralEnsign_ Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:57 am

I see that as a bit of a good thing. The Dex weapon is pretty big as is. Sure the STR weapons is the de facto gankers choice but with this change in the weight system STR build will have to be less focused on R1ing away the opponents defences and more open to timing thier attack.

As the DEX weapon stands now its really a 50/50 split for the pvp i have seen. Thus I see a rise, mayhaps i was wrong in calling them dex clones, in the use of smaller 1 handed weapons!

This i feel is a good thing!
    Phantasmio
    Phantasmio
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Phantasmio Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:00 am

I dont want this to kill off strength weapons.
    They are fun to use! I love dex and my very first character was a dex build, but dammit, it is very satisfying to swing my DGS and hit a dude in the face with it! This would be very bad for PvP balancing if strength weapons become even less viable.
    The only way I would be ok with this is the inclusion of a dexterity-heavy great/ultra greatsword to use. Something that's fast and has sweet swinging animations but doesn't hit as hard as other great swords.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:04 am

Phantasmio wrote:I dont want this to kill off strength weapons.
    They are fun to use! I love dex and my very first character was a dex build, but dammit, it is very satisfying to swing my DGS and hit a dude in the face with it! This would be very bad for PvP balancing if strength weapons become even less viable.
    The only way I would be ok with this is the inclusion of a dexterity-heavy great/ultra greatsword to use. Something that's fast and has sweet swinging animations but doesn't hit as hard as other great swords.

I really dont this FROM would do that Im just thinking that they are making the DEX side of weapons more viable.

Appart from the Elemental weapons the only Viable Dex Weapons were the Rapier (for those parry masters and BSers) the Great Scy for dead angle and sheer damage and katana.

Things like Longswords and One handed Axe/ maces were left out in the cold either due to poor movesets or lack of knowledge how to make proper builds for them.

Now perhaps we will see a whole heap more of that.

STR weapons will always be viable due to Stunlock !
    Phantasmio
    Phantasmio
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Phantasmio Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:09 am

Stunlock baby \m/
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:37 am

It's funny that this change wont even affect me silly . Since i don't use the DWGR.
    I'll still use strength weapons on my strength build.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:42 am

Anything's better than the current style of wearing ugly heavy armour, a gruesome mask, and rolling weirdly into each other.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:17 am

DEX weapons arn't viable? Are you high? The greatscythe, lifehunt scythe, demonspear, silver knight spear, dragonslayer spear, winged spear, pike, uchigatana, washing pole, chaos blade, dagger, murakumo, balder side sword. These are some of the best weapons around, either for damage, deadangling, range, speed or some combination there of.

The reason str weapon users tend to fish is because str weapons are so much more difficult to use in any other way. Str weapons weight was already prohibitive, unless its lowered they've just died, along with most any weapon that breaks the 10lb mark. They're advantage is that they're longer and stronger than most weapons, but if the user cant move quickly then they have no way to offset the decreased speed and will be picked appart by the much faster weapons.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:21 am

Forum Im not getting into this with you.
    russiannightmare
    russiannightmare
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by russiannightmare Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:11 am

So if DWGR got nerfed, I don't own a gaming PC so I won't know how it truly works until the DLC release but if it got nerfed then wouldn't that mean DEX users would have to use light armors or use a ring slot for the Wolf ring to raise their poise and still be under the break point. I see this as a chance for STR weapons to shine again because the stunlock will become viable again since not everyone will hit the 54 poise break point rocking some havel piece and roll right back out of your swing.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:23 am

http://tinyurl.com/96w24os absolutely nothing my str builds will be able to do about that.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:32 am

Forum this DLC may well push up the standard PvP bracket
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:20 am

Possible, but that would really only further the ease of dex weapons getting under 25% while having 76 poise. If they also nerfed the wolf ring (which I doubt because despite is ridiculous efficency it is overshadowed by the dwgr) so that its not possibe to both have 76 poise and fast roll, I'll shut up.

Essentially my problem is that with some minor tuning, dex builds don't change much to hit 25%equip load and beiber ring roll around, they can still hit the 76 poise mark. This will make them just as difficult to hit as ever, where str builds just lost the manuverability they need so much to deal with the dex weapons unless they use all 3 equip burden items and are using the lighter str weapons like the large club and msgs, and even then its the regular fast roll meaning that they'll have to worry more about lag and have more difficulty escaping the roll bsing.

To simplify, it will be even easier to punish large weapons than it already is, because they will move slower (either in running speed, roll speed or both) while most dex weapons are unaffected. Thats my problem. When everyone can beiber roll around at 76 poise, I have no problem, but when its just dex I'm unhappy. Especially considering that dex weapons r2s have a nasty habit of being just as strong as str weapons r1s. while also being faster. The bss and greatscythe are examples of this.

The heavier str weapons would require serious end gouging or an unnacceptable loss in poise, resulting in greatsword stunlocks, which is very bad for such slow weapons.
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:27 pm

Since I have always used Katanas for pvp, I will merely be sticking to my game plan. If new users find a liking in them by the droves, then, we will all finally get ample practice parrying Kat users. A skill I believe non kat users should master.

ViralEnsign_ wrote:
    Thus I see a rise of the Dex Weapons on the horizons

umm, Dex weapons have always been the horizon and face of pvp lol. I am not sure there will be a rise just simply a maintaining of their pvp dominance in use.

People are entirely comfortable parrying great swords/ultra great anything so these are becoming less used as experienced players practice.

My hope is that they make status effects more important and viable for pvp. Like, a poison mist or toxic mist that is faster with Dex. Or the Gravelord sword causes toxic faster something.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:38 pm

A rise of Dex weapons? You mean they weren't already used more than any other kind of weapon?
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:09 pm

Hmm well I will still be doing an Artorias cosplay regardless of what everybody else does. As long as I enjoy my builld thats all that matters to me.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:32 pm

Seems like about 75% of invaders I see already use katanas. I'm gonna start keeping track of it, I think. See if it's as many as it seems.
    fujiphoenix
    fujiphoenix
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by fujiphoenix Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:36 pm

Well Forum, I have no problem using str weapons and light rolling. I don't use the DWGR, and I do pretty well for myself. The only thing I'll have to change about my builds is greatswords can't stunlock any more. So now I can't lock people to death who try to circle for the bs. But most of the time I hit-and-run with great swords any way. And if you are using an ultra great weapon, then it makes sense that you can't light role. There should be a trade off for the soon to be go-to stunlock weapons.

Also, poise isn't the only thing you need to worry about. If you don't have good defenses, you get killed faster. They trade off defense for poise.

Last edited by fujiphoenix on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:39 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added something)
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:26 pm

callipygias wrote:Seems like about 75% of invaders I see already use katanas. I'm gonna start keeping track of it, I think. See if it's as many as it seems.

Not just katanas, try keeping track of Dex weapons in general (rapiers, great scythes, murakumos, curved swords, daggers, etc).
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:28 pm

Reaperfan wrote:A rise of Dex weapons? You mean they weren't already used more than any other kind of weapon?

Yeah. And I freely admit - I'm a DEX **** too. I cannot stand slow attack speeds.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:34 pm

@viral lol@ dex weapons not being used enough. Every build I run into uses dex weapons, gankers or flipper use the rapiers which will become even more popular after the nerf of the dwgr. I'm gonna have to go no poise or dragon if I wanna have aslb sl 99 str build, I already made my dragon DGA build which has to have the comp bow to make up for lack of magic and speed.
    SnailsAndSlugs
    SnailsAndSlugs
    Casual
    Casual

Post by SnailsAndSlugs Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:38 pm

Not to mention that greatswords have been nerfed into virtual unusability. They are only really good for single roll and run swinging. The recovery speed on a combo is virtually twice as long now, eliminating stun lock capability, thus leaving you open for a swipe and evade from a dex weapon. DWGR nerf + GS nerf = the rise of dex weapons for sure.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:46 pm

I seriously thought this thread was dead about a week ago.......
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:44 am

Dex weapons could possibly be even more popular, but honestly I'm mainly looking forward to using the Stone Greataxe.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:55 pm