Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Maneater_Mildred
skarekrow13
GrEeNgObLiN
Ignus-Dej
8 posters

Enhancing your online/offline play [Usefull Tips] *Update*

Ignus-Dej
    Ignus-Dej
    Casual
    Casual

Enhancing your online/offline play [Usefull Tips] *Update* Empty Enhancing your online/offline play [Usefull Tips] *Update*

Post by Ignus-Dej Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:50 am

I searched a bit around the internet for possibilities on how to make a better gaming experience. I may not explain everything to the very detail, but I will write down some usefull tips how you could decrease your gaming lag as much as possible.
    Many people complaining about several lags in the game (Not only the button delay which is caused by the game itself.)
    Here some tips that could maybe help you if you were not awaire of them:

- Use a TV device with a low reaction rate. Some TV have a input lag that makes you see your button inputs performed a second or more later than it actually is. Not only image qualitiy is important, A TV for gaming should also provide you a low reaction rate. Newer LCD devices have a ''Gaming Mode'' , a display mode that turns off postprocessing routines at the cost of a slight reduction in image quality to provide better reaction times. Search your TV for this option. It could help a lot.
    Read more here: Find and fix input lag on your HDTV.

- For online play, if it's possible, use a LAN-cable instead of a Wi-Fi connection. LAN connections are more direct, more stable and grants a lower ping rate, which is really important for games that need good reactions.

- Another point reach better(lower) ping rates is a matter of how you make your PS3/Xbox360 network setup. If your Router/Modem has the option available to set your PS3/Xbox360 in a demilitarized zone (DMZ), do it. Devices which are set in a DMZ have a straight internet connection without a firewall between the device and the world wide web.

- The second best possibility is to connect your console directly to your modem and set a PPPoE connection on your PS3/Xbox360. Your console will directly connect to the internet with NAT-Type-1. The best you can get.

- Changing your DNS server could also grant you faster connections. To find out which DNS server is the best for your location use tools like DNS Benchmark or namebench. Run them and they will show you alternative DNS servers for you which could be faster than your current one.

For example: I have connected my PS3 trough LAN-cable (1Gbit connection, 16Kbit downstream, 1Kbit upstream.) And I have set my PS3 in a DMZ.
    Measuring my ping rate at pingtest.net trough the PS3 browser, it shows mea ping of 34ms and 6ms jitter. I think it's actually good. You can measure it by yourself and post your ping rate too. I know that pingtest.net is not very reliable.

If you want more informations, google them. I'm sure there must be plenty of information and tutorials in english language about these pionts. I only searched them in german-speaking internet sites.

Hope that will help somebody.
    (sorry for bad english)

Last edited by Ignus-Dej on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:15 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Thanks skarekrow13 for the DNS tip)
    GrEeNgObLiN
    GrEeNgObLiN
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Enhancing your online/offline play [Usefull Tips] *Update* Empty Re: Enhancing your online/offline play [Usefull Tips] *Update*

Post by GrEeNgObLiN Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:00 am

Very intresting thx try the router thing
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Enhancing your online/offline play [Usefull Tips] *Update* Empty Re: Enhancing your online/offline play [Usefull Tips] *Update*

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:16 am

One of the IT guys at work recently told me about OpenDNS.com. You have to sign up for an account which seemed fishy at first but that information is to optimize it for your particular setup. I set my network up using their DNS and my lag decreased quite a bit. Only been lagstabbed once since I made the switch.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:32 pm

Ty this is helpful for someone like me who knows nothing about computers/internet.
    Thanks heaps.
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:45 pm

Moving this to The Archives. Great info!
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:42 pm

My internet is upstairs, so it's Wi-Fi for me!

I honestly don't have many problems, unless I'm up late (usually the case) and fighting players in Japan (often the case), but even so I've kinda gotten used to it. Don't know if I'd even be able to handle it if it worked better.
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:31 pm

Good stuff man!! Thanks a million and your English is good bro!! By the way skarekrow how long have you used that service I would like to check it out.

Did it also improve your summoning and other online interaction?
    eneq
    eneq
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by eneq Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:19 pm

The DNS shouldnt be an issue imo, most modern routers come with a DNS cache built in. Also it only triggers in the initial address to IP conversion (unless the developer is silly).

That said I think that Googles DNS service is a lot more stable than OpenDNS.

/Q
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:12 am

So far no stability issues but only been on this a couple weeks. And changing DNS settings will only improve your experience for some routers and providers. I have an older Belkin router with good speed but mostly their settings so not ideal and Time Warner internet in a rural setting so again not ideal. Any extra helps us out here. As far as summoning times, I did some forest pvp and found my time from being told I was being summoned to actually appearing was pretty quick. Same goes for being invaded in Anor Londo. Get the message and usually see the attacker soon. Only summoning I have done is Solaire before o&s and he takes longer to load than invaders or me being summoned.

Also, while Dark Souls appears faster than before where I've really noticed improvement is with my phone and laptop internet speeds. That difference is huge

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm