Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
Seenblack
ARSP
Slarg232
ublug
IV_Mark_VI
SlakeMoth
Juutas
RandelOolacile
Pesth
reim0027
vageta31
15 posters

Expert's Guide to Parrying (video)

vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Expert's Guide to Parrying (video) Empty Expert's Guide to Parrying (video)

Post by vageta31 Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:04 pm

Next video in my "expert's guide" series is up, this time I cover parrying. Newer players will get the most benefit, though veteran players may still be interested in learning the frame counts of the parry window and recovery times for the different shields and weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hrh94Dc-h0
    reim0027
    reim0027

Expert's Guide to Parrying (video) Empty Re: Expert's Guide to Parrying (video)

Post by reim0027 Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Downloading now. You're the man!
    Pesth
    Pesth
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pesth Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:21 pm

He's not a man! He's the prince of all Saiya-jin's.
    RandelOolacile
    RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RandelOolacile Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:23 pm

Good video! I enjoyed it! big grin
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:42 pm

Poor Havel, always getting picked on by parry/bs spamming adventurers : (
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:54 pm

What can I say, awesome. I'm off to practice right now.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:05 pm

Very good video.

Why would you parry with a rapier, dagger, etc?

And if a shield is in the same group as a parry dagger, why would you use the parry dagger? Style? Seems like that small parry shield is the best option.

Also, how do you know a small shield is in the 'special' category or not?

PS: listened with the sound off, at work.
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks for the numbers! Finally some thorough parry research. big grin

Hope you do a piece about stamina as well. I know epic did one, but it was barely scratching the surface.

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Also, how do you know a small shield is in the 'special' category or not?
    There's only three weapons/shields in the special category: buckler, target and parrying dagger.
    Pesth
    Pesth
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pesth Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:20 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:

Because is waaaay cooler bounce
    RandelOolacile
    RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RandelOolacile Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:23 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Very good video.

And if a shield is in the same group as a parry dagger, why would you use the parry dagger? Style? Seems like that small parry shield is the best option.

Also, how do you know a small shield is in the 'special' category or not?

PS: listened with the sound off, at work.

I think one of the most practical application for parrying with say a parrying dagger would be the greater frame window so that your primary source of damage is of the critical + hornets ring! That's some devastating damage! big grin
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Thanks for this, Vageta, really needed to start working on my parrying.
    ARSP
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:47 pm

Saw the video earlier today nice job
    Seenblack
    Seenblack
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Seenblack Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:08 pm

Great video man! My only question about Daggers, and Rapiers. If you parry with let's say a bandit dagger, do you get the Critical bonus from the Dagger on your main hand. Or is it only if the weapon in your main hand has a critical bonus? I would test it myself but my xbox is currently unable to read disks and in for repairs D:
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:19 pm

Very well done. Loved how you tested the parry windows, that was great thinking. +1
    Rockstar2112
    Rockstar2112
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Rockstar2112 Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Never seen your videos before, and when I saw the title of the thread I was a bit cynical about the possibility of it just being arrogance. But I watched it and honestly it was fantastic, really informative. +1 and I subscribed.
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:58 pm

I probably chose the wrong title as I wasn't assuming to be the "expert" in question, only that an "expert's guide" is a step up in complexity over a typical "beginner's guide". big grin

As far as critical damage goes, it only works in your main hand so you don't get a bonus by using a dagger or thrusting sword in your left.

My next video will probably be about dodging. I think I've worked out a way to get an accurate count of iFrames during the different rolls. Not as important as parry windows, though people are always interested to see real data.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:51 pm

Are you going to include the lowly backstep (Just B/Square/4 by itself) in that analasis? I've heard it's supposed to be very good and very underrated.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:54 am

Nice Vageta, i had thought i heard epicname bro say he was going to do a video on the rolls. Which i feel would pretty much be about dodging and i-frames. Do you mind if i ask how you will test the i-frames? I found using the lava right after defeating ceaseless is a great place to do it. I'm interested in how you plan on doing it, the way you tested the parry windows was very clever. I can wait for the video though xD
    Raikan007
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Raikan007 Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:12 pm

I must say that this was fun to watch happy Well done, liked your guide to shortcuts, used it in the Catacombs to get down to Pinwheel for my new save!

I am no master at Parry/Riposte but I would never have thought of trying to parry Havel or that Giant at Sens happy lol! Nice job!
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:04 pm

FruitPunchNinja wrote:Nice Vageta, i had thought i heard epicname bro say he was going to do a video on the rolls. Which i feel would pretty much be about dodging and i-frames. Do you mind if i ask how you will test the i-frames? I found using the lava right after defeating ceaseless is a great place to do it. I'm interested in how you plan on doing it, the way you tested the parry windows was very clever. I can wait for the video though xD

The lava was my first thought, but the damage comes in waves and doesn't seem to be an actual constant so it might not work. I also think the burning visual effect on your character lasts a few frames after the lava damage recedes, so it might be difficult to count frames. I need to find an attack that covers a large area and remains active longer than the amount of iFrames to accurately gauge the length. I think I have an idea but I haven't tested it yet.

My plan is to use the 4 King's AOE attack. If I stand next to them and roll at the instant they use it, then it will no doubt still hit me at the end of the iFrames as that attack covers a large area and remains active for awhile. Not to mention when that attack hits you your character staggers, so it should be very easy to tell exactly how many frames into the roll I am before I get nailed. That's my theory though again I haven't actually tested it yet.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:13 pm

Fire Tempest?
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:59 pm

Yea, i have no experience or tools to slow down recorded gameplay. So the lava was the easiest way for me to at least get an idea of the difference in i-frames. What i did was put on black hemmed set, and rolled straight across a path of lava. I then just looked at the difference in damage i took, and used that to loosely see the difference in the frames. It might be possible to eliminate the issue you mentioned by using the lava ring or flash sweat. I would try those two things, just to see if they helped.

I have a feeling you will find a more accurate way to go about it, can't wait to see what you come up with.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:58 pm

Enjoyed the video, particularly parrying the dragonslayer arrows.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:07 pm

I attempted parrying regular crossbow bolts yesterday with a Eastwest shield, and was unsuccessful; seemed like they were doing full damage or near enough. Going to try with a different shield today. Or is it only dragonslayer arrows?
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:26 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:I attempted parrying regular crossbow bolts yesterday with a Eastwest shield, and was unsuccessful; seemed like they were doing full damage or near enough. Going to try with a different shield today. Or is it only dragonslayer arrows?

Works with everything even a bare fist, may just have the timing a bit wrong. You do still take damage and it's probably based on the physical damage reduction on the shield.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 pm