Greater Magic Weapon?

Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Greater Magic Weapon?

Post by Jansports on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:49 pm

I was fooling around with my pretty bog standard DEX pyro and noticed I had quite a few Levels to play with in terms of "extra" stuff. I mean after 45 dex really all there is to do is END to 40~ for armor needs and Vit as gouged as humanly possible. Something that always bugged me about the build I had been using was that past 50 returns on Vit seem so... underwhelming. And theres not much reason to drop a bit of extra into strength since there isn't much in the way of Scaling on Uchi/BSS/SKS (the weapons of choice for Dex men)

But with just 5 measly levels you *can* have access to Greater Magic Weapon, which while it's no CMW 200 extra AR when it's warranted is nothing to sneeze at. The most popular Dex scaling weapons are all (typically) great buff vessels; katanas, BSS, SKS, Great Sycthe, Falchion/PGS. Most Dex weapons have good (by good I mean low) stamina costs and swing at a good pace, heck a buffed Bandit's Dagger is a dangerous thing either from a BS/Riposte or because you can consistently hit them *Twice* on a strong punish where most every other weapon would only get a single hit. Back when I was durdling with PGS and SLB I fell in love with its 2H Strong combo-dance-thingy. What I'm trying to explain (probably poorly) is that Dex Weapons love buffs. Dex Pyro builds can't exactly make room for DMB/SLB or CMW because they require too much investment and either the build would have no health, no stamina, no spells or miss out of the fastest casting speed. and Greater Magic Weapons low(real low) reqs and the Ivory catalysts 180 adjust with no scaling mean you can have a half decent buff available with very little extra levels spent.

Example build http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=2327679704674890

armor chosen because I love Painted Gaurdians Wolf ring chosen because I like poise, realistically you could wear Giantmom with DWGR (But that's a whole other thread) SKS is the heaviest of the choice Dex weapons and any 3.0 weight shield would do there are several good-great options there. Basically the armor/weapons don't matter a whole lot I'm trying to understand the nitty and the gritty about stat investment.

Am I overestimating how much 200magic AR is? are five soul levels really that precious to Dex Pyro builds? I feel like I should have seen some non-crystal blue swords if this was in any way a decent idea, so perhaps I'm just plain wrong. But it seems like there are more unexplored options in builds rather than going from 50 to 60someodd Vit
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Re: Greater Magic Weapon?

Post by WyrmHero on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:57 pm

My friend had a GMW Murakumo. The buff was pretty strong, so I would say it's better than having more than 50 Vit. Unless you wear mom mask + fap, then more than 50 Vit is not worth it, and if you are using a buffable weapon, then why not?

Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:59 pm

I'd be interested to know if it is superior to gold pine resin in practise. gold pine is work to get but lightning damage ftw.

DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:01 pm

Lol I see nothing wrong with puting a few into INT for Greater magic weapon 200 AR is decent....charcoal pine adds about 85 AR good enough for me tho!!

Edit I would select a weapon you can buff Greater magic weapon onto tho silly

Casual
    Casual

Post by rywhitty222 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:09 pm

You earned my +1 for a great idea. My question is whether or not its stronger than gold pine resin?

.... My noobiness is showing here, how do i rep you for this?....

Last edited by rywhitty222 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:09 pm

On paper it's more AR than resin, but Lightning is a 'better' damage type than Magic since light defence is almost always lower than magic. I wont know until I hit a bunch of people a bunch of times
    I probably should have put on a buffable weapon, I mostly left the spear on because it's the heaviest of the weapons Dex builds use and I tend to just have the heaviest equipment sit there and remind me not to forget about my burden.

Edit: I have no idea how rep works, though I appreciate the sentiment it's not a big deal
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:44 pm

@ Jansport I was just roughing you up I got the point of the build and I like it...a 200 AR buff is a lot for only 5 points invest and its a good idea...all my builds end up with 1500 ish VIT and you have done this with a decent buff nice build man!!

Edit to rep up someone press the little + next to the post!!

Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:00 am

Thanks! I'm just now heading to blighttown so I should have GMW sometime tonight and I should be ready for duels tomorrow night, I will be using both GMW and Resin off and on and trying to keep track of how much damage they do in comparison. My hope is that GMW will be stronger than resin by enough that I feel those 5 points are worth it.

If anyone is available tomorrow who doesn't mind eating humanity/DBs and getting hit to properly test damage values my PSN is Wizard_Cleave
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:14 am

You can smack me around all you want but I wear FA for amror usually so I might have to tank up to give you a better idea dude lol!!

Had to test abit I thought charcoal and gold were close but gold actually adds a lot more than charcoal...damn in the end it maybe be close man!!

I just built a new 120 also leo/rtsr and I was messing around down in btown with Demon slayer...did a rtsr/leo counter into heavy armor for 985 dmg lol!!

Its Glatts17 if you wanna do a dmg test tho!!

EDIT yah this was my 1000th post cheers

Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:05 pm

Duels so far today lead me to believe GMW is worth the minimal 5 stat point investment if you would be using a straight DEX Pyro build anyways, too many good buffable weapons are available with good dex scaling I feel to ignore it.

This has quickly made me learn to enjoy the Uchi's running attack. I'll send you a req on psn Dark we can pick a place to start droping soapstones
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:35 pm

Sounds good man I am on board with you also...I just thought gold pine added 85 AR like charcoal but damn it adds like closer to 150 AR...guess I should use it more just like how charcoal looks!

That being said gold also isn't as easy to get as charcoal and with a GMW buff you don't have to keep restocking lol!!

I can wear havel gaunts/boots with armor of thorns chest and helm....this gives a very even resist to everything!!

I am also a big uchi fan its my fav katana...the 1 handed R2 if you short the attack does a mean setup parry!!!

Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:39 pm

I messed around with 14int before, i didnt find the gmw to be worth it. I am not really a fan of weapon buffs though, so my opinion is kinda biased it has nothing to do with the dmg. This did make me think of how awesome using hidden weapon with the great scythe would be though twisted
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:46 pm

Twitsed FPN hidden weapon on the great scythe...great now I maybe have to make yet another build....that would be awesome!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:31 pm