SL10 helper build

philtitan
    Casual
    Casual

SL10 helper build

Post by philtitan on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:16 pm

So I wanna basically make this char. to run around and help low levelers. I'm thinking Pyro build as it starts at level one and Pyro doesn't require stats. I will be doing things like getting the Drake sword leveled to +5, Fire Zwei +10, not using proud knight etc... souls I find, and dropping these gifts on folks since someone was so generous to me. Any suggestions on builds?

I know I need 14 Dex to use the bow, and I guess the rest in Endurance and Attunement? I plan to use the Pyro armor leveled, Grass Crest Shield +15, Barbed Straight Sword leveled to Chaos and mostly Pyromancy spells(unless better suggestions come along). Also I am going to avoid beating bosses/ringing bells for a while. I know I'll have t take out the Capra Demon to get into the depths to level my flame, but everything else up to Sens should be pretty easy to open up I figure and there shouldn't be many peeps needing much at that point anyway.

Any ideas/suggestions to improving this plan?

Thanks!
    Razorame
    Casual
    Casual

Re: SL10 helper build

Post by Razorame on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:24 pm

so pretty much ruining peoples experiences on the game by all means help them but dont give them things that are going to make the game a breeze a fire zwei +10 can still be useful in ng+

1000G Dark Souls 25/6/12:D

ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:33 pm

Use the Blighttown shortcut and at the bottom you will find high value souls you can use to upgrade your gear. There also happen to be weapons that can be found or titanite shards that can be used for your weapon. Watching Vageta311's videos on youtube can help as well.

Here's the link to his channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/vageta311

Hope this helps

Projects Completed
    Spoiler:

"The outcome of any serious research can only be to make two questions grow where only one grew before"- Thornstein Veblen
    philtitan
    Casual
    Casual

Post by philtitan on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:45 pm

Not trying to mess anyone's good time up. Just looking to help.

Poss Build

http://tinyurl.com/9hzr53q

Last edited by reim0027 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Minified URL)
    Razorame
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Razorame on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:52 pm

I understand that but if your giving people insane weapons that make this "difficult" game a breeze then you are ruining peoples playthrough there is nothing wrong with helping them with starter bosses and giving them proud knight souls but giving them weapons that they dont even know how to find or make is ruining it for them.

philtitan
    Casual
    Casual

Post by philtitan on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Well I guess that's a way to look at it. I was given a fire Zwei+5 and set of elite knight armor +3 and ended up just giving them away as they didn't fit my playstyle. Sure I could've used the stuff to 'breeze' through, but I wasn't interested so I traded them later for a nice scythe. I like the way peeps can interact. So I hope that if someone doesn't want it they'd give it back or gift it to someone else they run across.

Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:04 pm

Good intention but it normally doesn't work like that I was over at a friends house and he was running a strength build someone came over and gave him a +15 Uchigatana and maxed eastern set and he literally changed his entire build over the course of a few levels. Then he blazed through the game except for when he ran into the last few Bosses he lacked the skill to defeat them and so he quit and just made a new character. It ruined his DKS experience.

Projects Completed
    Spoiler:

"The outcome of any serious research can only be to make two questions grow where only one grew before"- Thornstein Veblen
    philtitan
    Casual
    Casual

Post by philtitan on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:06 pm

So what would be better? leveling weapons +5 and thats that? Maybe Bows and shields only?

Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:14 pm

Give items that are relatively inconsequental small souls, humanity, arrows, green herbs, titanite shards (regular ones) things that the player you are helping can get on their own.

Projects Completed
    Spoiler:

Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:30 pm

I like to give lots of Humanities. That way, the griefing side of the Online experience is severely diminished. Sometimes I give a new unupgraded weapon found way later in the game, so they can experiment with the moveset.

Anyway, this game isn't hard. It just punishes stupidity incessantly. You could always gift people maxed stuff; they are the ones that should decide whether to use it or not.

Some of my summoners even complained about the fact that I killed the mobs in their world. They just wanted me to stay in the foreground as a backup plan.

Proper story’s supposed to start at the beginning. Ain’t so simple with this one. Now here’s a kid whose whole world got all twisted, leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky.
    philtitan
    Casual
    Casual

Post by philtitan on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:21 am

The humanities is a good idea. Maybe a cool ring(Havel?) My intention isn't to make a person into a god, just a little surprise help. I think arrows is a good idea too(poison esp twisted) , and maybe a ton of purple moss for the ordeal of blight town. I think a +5 Drakesword isn't too crazy. Or a Gravelord sword. A +5 shield or something.
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:23 am

In the end it's your decision what you do is up to you. it's your items you are giving away not mine just remember giving away an Item early in the game may ruin that person's experience

Projects Completed
    Spoiler:

philtitan
    Casual
    Casual

Post by philtitan on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:33 am

Hmm....I wonder if the difference in opinion isn't down to a fundemental difference in playing styles/ethos. I am looking at it from the viewpoint of one who was given an insane amount of cool stuff pretty early on and you know what I did with it all? Blew it. I was given around 100 various LORD souls and wound up blowing through them leveling and then still had to learn wtf to do otherwise. It was an interesting time. And since I am on my 5th run through I feel that 'spoiling' this game is near impossible. I can't give keys away after all.

EDIT

And if I can get most of the way through at level 10 then I'm not really doing anything they couldn't do. I mean is beating a boss for someone a bad thing? I have had it done for me and done it for others. I never felt it took anything away. Quite the opposite in fact.

callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:50 am

I'm so glad I never played human when I started so that nobody was able to gift me upgraded weapons. That kind of thing takes so much from a player's experience.

Like how I'm sure my sl 442, who is 920 hours old, is a thousand times more important to me than a dragon glitcher's sl 442, or 711 or whatever, that's a few hours old.

"It's just common sense to NOT go into battle naked." ~ Yarxov

"Billy - what type of gladiator do you plan on being?" ~ TehInfamousAmos

"Troll the big drunk guy at the bar. Get punched in the face. Repeat until desire to troll is gone." ~ Forum Pirate
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:14 pm

This is why co op is so flawed. I just dont co op anymore cause every time theres someone with an elemental weapon just running ahead and 1shoting everything. It really does ruin the game for people, even if they dont realize it.

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:16 pm

@FruitPunch: don't you have some friends to do a coop run with? It's really enjoyable with some rules happy

Even so, I am giving my friend plenty of large titanite shards as he's messing up levelling up everything a little bit, and grinding is very dull. Without my help he likely couldn't have completed Sen's Fortress, as his damage output with a Winged spear +6 really sucked.

So I hope I'm not taking away his enjoyment.
    Razorame
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Razorame on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:42 pm

a large titanite shard and a +5 drake sword are two really different things you should be helpful by giving them herbs,humanity,shards and other stupid things like a few moss clumps or dung pies or a few arrows

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:58 pm

Yep I do that, to help keep the frustration level down. He's used to most games that you can complete area A, go to B, then C, etc. In dark souls in the first playthrough, its: Do A, do B, go to C, realize you're really underpowered, grind B, go back to C, be frustrated, try D, E, F, die a lot, finally go back to C, and with some luck go through it, then get stuck at D.

First time I played Dark souls, it took me 97 hrs to get to lvl 70 I think. A ton of dying, a ton of frustration. I played offline on a friends advice so I didn't get any helpful hints; figuring out the Gaping dragon tail was so amazing, and I killed Queelag solo with arrows (kept backing up and whenever she was open, let loose with an arrow. Took forever.)

philtitan
    Casual
    Casual

Post by philtitan on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:18 pm

I have begun.

Upon pondering the replies I have toned down my plan a bit.

Also, I don't run around with a huge weapon etc... Uchi at +5 is fine by me at my low level(13). Pryro flame up to +5 so far.

SO far I have given:

Purple Moss(30 to one lucky player)
    Humanity(1 at a time)
    Handaxe+5(a fellow Ptromancer, he was really happy)
    Various souls
    Arrows(bundles of 30)

I am leveling some straight swords, bows, and shields to +5, gonna get some vermifuges, and some titanite shards I will be buying once I open the Garden door and farm souls for this stuff.

I am doing my best to pay attn to ppl's builds and give them something useful, like a +5 Mace to a Cleric. And the reason I want a nice Pyro flame is for my own survival when I'm making runs. I do my best to keep the host alive without just doing all the bashing myself. I am not that great actually.

I'll avoid elemental weapons, but may make a few divine ones for low levelers to explore the catacombs(+2 divine mace or something) Does this sound tame enough? Still taking suggestions.

Oh and suddenly ppl are freinding me like crazy. And they aren't asking for more stuff either. I think it's working.

EDIT

And I am only giving one thing to one host, not kitting people out.

Last edited by philtitan on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarification)
    philtitan
    Casual
    Casual

Post by philtitan on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:22 pm

Oh and if anyone cares to know, I am hanging out around Undead burg upper and lower. Trying to help folks w/ Havel, the crystal lizard under the barrel. And also trying to help folks through the run to the Capra Demon(grr...) Name : MrBuster
    Razorame
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Razorame on Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:30 pm

those are some good things to give people all the power to you mate nice of you to help people

philtitan
    Casual
    Casual

Post by philtitan on Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:44 pm

Glad you approve. I am keeping it to a minimum. My intent was never to wreck anyone's game. I figure doing it this way basically gives someone a little leg up in case they're having a hard time of it, otherwise they have something for a future trade.

I don't do this if I am the 3rd summoned as it would deplete supplies and get complicated.

I had one person who seemed not to know that HE needed to keep our health up and the other player was almost dead. I eventually dropped a humanity for him to use but the host grabbed it. Then I dropped another and pointed at the almost dead guy. He grabbed it. AND DIDN'T USE IT! So he dies fast in the Taurus Demon fight.

Oh and don't forget this, I am limiting my areas to where I know low levelers are and once they've finished they won't really see me again. I feel like the guy with the gatorade along the path of a marathon! happy
    philtitan
    Casual
    Casual

Post by philtitan on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:35 pm

Ok so I am NOT NOT NOT going to do this, but a funny thought occurred to me:

It would be a bit of a larf to go get the Dragon greatsword and drop it on some low level player. I remember when I got it I was all "Wow! Look at that damage!", until I was all, "Whoa! 52 strenf? Nvrmnd..."big grin

This is so much fun. I'm gonna do a SL25 helper, mainly helping w/ bosses but some TChunks prolly wouldn't hurt.

So far my favorite bit has been helping folks do Havel. F that dude. And I usually like stoners! big grin

EDIT

And now that I have noticed how few summon signs there seem to be on the Capra demon run I feel more than obliged to help get through that nightmare

Last edited by philtitan on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More info)
    philtitan
    Casual
    Casual

Post by philtitan on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:58 am

K. I'm a bit naive and short sighted. Obvious if you look at my first ideas...

How many saw this coming?

So I am helping someone in the church and they get invaded by someone(I am level 13, so they couldn't have been too heavy Sl-wise) and killed. This has happened more than a couple of times.

I know that this is a dicey situation as I don't wanna be a ganker, but the ppl invading have been working w/ heavy weapons. Elec. or Fire heavy swords. They take everyone out in 1-2 hits. I know this is part of the game, but this feels a bit greifer. Should I level my flame way up to combat this when it happens, or just let events play out to let hosts know this is a hard world.

Moral dilemma.

What to do? I want to help my host. I don't want to be mean to invaders. I do want to burn obvious griefers. But where's the line? Augggghhhh!

EDIT
    I have seen legit invasions, ie; a seemingly similar leveled player and let the host decide what to do. I mean if they engage I dont and if they hang back then I step up. And I have lost a couple by not paying attn. sad

Last edited by philtitan on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarity)
    Razorame
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Razorame on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:06 am

let the adventure fold out

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:52 am