Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Share

    Poll

    To buff or not to buff...

    [ 6 ]
    25% [25%] 
    [ 7 ]
    29% [29%] 
    [ 11 ]
    46% [46%] 

    Total Votes: 24
    avatar
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 892
    Reputation : 29
    Join date : 2012-05-04
    Age : 39

    Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by Phoenix Rising on Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:23 pm

    Lately when dueling I have been using sunlight blade...but ONLY if the other player chooses to. Although I prefer an unbuffed duel, if the other player has the ability to kill me in 3-4 swings I may as well level the playing field a bit.

    Just wondering how everyone else feels about buffs or if they have an unwritten etiquette when it comes to using them, like me.


    _________________
    XBL: I Aim v Here I

    Neowraith - Scarred Lord
    avatar
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1435
    Reputation : 67
    Join date : 2012-04-09
    Location : Scotland

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by Knight Alundil on Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:43 pm

    I don't understand when people talk about buffs like this. It's just the same as everything else. When I use my Mage I use a +5 enchanted wep so no buff. When I use my pyro I have a +15 wep with charcoal resin. Some builds are made to use buffs while others do not. I want to say "I dont understand your poll" but I do, I just really don't agree with the reasoning behind it.

    avatar
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 892
    Reputation : 29
    Join date : 2012-05-04
    Age : 39

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by Phoenix Rising on Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:47 pm

    Yeah the poll was kind of in a never/always format...im sure people have some builds that use them and some that don't. It was more of a situational question.


    _________________
    XBL: I Aim v Here I

    Neowraith - Scarred Lord
    avatar
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1435
    Reputation : 67
    Join date : 2012-04-09
    Location : Scotland

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by Knight Alundil on Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:50 pm

    But that's what I mean. If you have a buff to use you should use it unless you want to be at a disadvantage. The attunenent slot/item slot you use for your buff is points you chose to spend. I really don't see the point in not using it. It's not as if your opponent would stop using fire temPest just because you're in a small environment. If you chose to have a buff as a spell then you should be using it surely.


    Last edited by Knight Alundil on Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

    avatar
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1500
    Reputation : 104
    Join date : 2012-06-30
    Age : 29
    Location : Finland

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by Juutas on Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:51 pm

    If you need buff, you're not good enough. That's right, I said that.


    _________________
    "Now stay down!" "...okay"

    Twitch.tv: www.twitch.tv/blueberryknights
    Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/Juutas1988
    XBOX: Juutas1988
    PC: Juutas1988
    avatar
    Tristan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 364
    Reputation : -1
    Join date : 2012-08-01
    Location : Reprisal Town

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by Tristan on Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:36 pm

    Juutas wrote:If you need buff, you're not good enough. That's right, I said that.

    What is this?... I want to see you make it to the top of the book of the guilty with an unbuffed +15 whip?


    _________________
    PSN-Eidolon-Reveries
    Vereor Nox
    Umbassa
    Faith Enthusiast
    avatar
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1500
    Reputation : 104
    Join date : 2012-06-30
    Age : 29
    Location : Finland

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by Juutas on Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:39 pm

    Umbassa Zealot wrote:
    Juutas wrote:If you need buff, you're not good enough. That's right, I said that.

    What is this?... I want to see you make it to the top of the book of the guilty with an unbuffed +15 whip?

    Have you actually played against the guy who is on top of BotG (on xbox)? That guy is a poor player and all he does is play as ******* as he can and prey on low lvl players who he drops indict item before he kills you can indict him... so yeah, BotG doesn't really mean anything.
    Why the whip anyways? everyone knows whips suck. I use unbuffed +15 Iaito though and it has never even crossed my mind to buff it because I simply don't need the buff.


    Last edited by BaalDS on Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Not sure if posted Username)


    _________________
    "Now stay down!" "...okay"

    Twitch.tv: www.twitch.tv/blueberryknights
    Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/Juutas1988
    XBOX: Juutas1988
    PC: Juutas1988
    avatar
    VeranoChico
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 43
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2012-07-28

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by VeranoChico on Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:58 pm

    It's all part of the game. If another player buffs I ain't gonna whine about it. That buff is simply part of their repertoire and it gives me a good idea on what their build is.

    I can say with honesty that in terms of skill, I'm a low tier pvper. However the most direct answer to someone that does such a buff is to simply wait for their buff to end.

    And in my opinion, if I'm rolling with an int or faith build, chances are I will have CMW, SLB, or DMB in my slots.


    _________________
    PSN - Summer_Child
    avatar
    Tristan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 364
    Reputation : -1
    Join date : 2012-08-01
    Location : Reprisal Town

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by Tristan on Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:59 pm

    Why the whip anyways? everyone knows whips suck. I use unbuffed +15 Iaito though and it has never even crossed my mind to buff it because I simply don't need the buff.

    Show me your skills with a underdog weapon at +15 and I will concede to your statement about buffs being a crutch.


    _________________
    PSN-Eidolon-Reveries
    Vereor Nox
    Umbassa
    Faith Enthusiast
    avatar
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1500
    Reputation : 104
    Join date : 2012-06-30
    Age : 29
    Location : Finland

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by Juutas on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:19 pm

    Umbassa Zealot wrote:
    Why the whip anyways? everyone knows whips suck. I use unbuffed +15 Iaito though and it has never even crossed my mind to buff it because I simply don't need the buff.

    Show me your skills with a underdog weapon at +15 and I will concede to your statement about buffs being a crutch.

    ...dude, I play naked with Iaito +15 (that is the weakest katana in the game dmg-wise) without using grass or magic and I still don't buff my weapon...I think that should be underdog enough for you.
    And what are these underdog weapons you are talking about? Every non-buffed weapon is underdog weapon against buffed one, or are you saying this because you are using buffs only on **** weapons?
    I don't whine about buffing and usually I even let my opponent to buff before I attack, but I just consider buffing a tryhard thing to do.


    _________________
    "Now stay down!" "...okay"

    Twitch.tv: www.twitch.tv/blueberryknights
    Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/Juutas1988
    XBOX: Juutas1988
    PC: Juutas1988
    avatar
    Idoloni_Belli
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 33
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-07-26
    Location : Undead Burg

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by Idoloni_Belli on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:16 pm

    Buffs are funny. They have amazing damage output but if the opponent is just dodging you, you're doing no damage at all... so I say buff all you want, I'll just dodge for that minute or so and then fight you.


    _________________
    PSN: Idoloni_Belli
    avatar
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

    Posts : 11501
    Reputation : 327
    Join date : 2012-04-18
    Age : 27
    Location : WPB, Florida

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:20 pm

    Juutas wrote:Have you actually played against the guy who is on top of BotG (on xbox)? That guy is a poor player

    I thought that was Rynn. silly

    avatar
    Rarity
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 73
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2012-06-20
    Age : 21
    Location : Equestria/Sweden

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by Rarity on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:25 pm

    Funny....I don’t neither have enough intelligence bore do i desire to buff. But i don’t see it as a unfair play stile.

    It can be abuse or it cant. Simple as that


    _________________
    The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want;

    He makes me lie down in green pastures.
    He leads me beside still waters;
    He restores my soul.
    He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
    avatar
    Tristan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 364
    Reputation : -1
    Join date : 2012-08-01
    Location : Reprisal Town

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by Tristan on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:43 pm

    Juutas wrote:
    Umbassa Zealot wrote:
    Why the whip anyways? everyone knows whips suck. I use unbuffed +15 Iaito though and it has never even crossed my mind to buff it because I simply don't need the buff.

    Show me your skills with a underdog weapon at +15 and I will concede to your statement about buffs being a crutch.

    ...dude, I play naked with Iaito +15 (that is the weakest katana in the game dmg-wise) without using grass or magic and I still don't buff my weapon...I think that should be underdog enough for you.
    And what are these underdog weapons you are talking about? Every non-buffed weapon is underdog weapon against buffed one, or are you saying this because you are using buffs only on **** weapons?
    I don't whine about buffing and usually I even let my opponent to buff before I attack, but I just consider buffing a tryhard thing to do.

    http://tinyurl.com/8vbj4lb

    I think this illustrates my points very fine and debunks yours.

    Not only is the laito arguably the best moveset in the katana category it is also not very far from the uchi.

    Even if I raise dexterity to 40, it's only 10 points of damage off from the uchi. It hardly makes a difference. Even the Chaos Blade is weaker without humanity. Washing Pole is also weaker than the laito at this range. Your Laito is actually quite strong and very top tier weapon material.

    going back to my original example...

    http://tinyurl.com/9qfva86

    We can see that your weapon of choice is not an underdog weapon, especially for the typical sl range of PvP. A Whip however does 1 point of more damage than the Chaos Blade if you don't have any humanity. The Mail Breaker has considerably less damage.

    Before I close I would like for you to define tryhard. As "Tryhard" is not a part of the official english written language and is slang I could perceive it differently than you, and I wish to fully understand your argument.


    _________________
    PSN-Eidolon-Reveries
    Vereor Nox
    Umbassa
    Faith Enthusiast
    avatar
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 6625
    Reputation : 232
    Join date : 2012-01-30
    Age : 26
    Location : International waters

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by Forum Pirate on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:49 pm

    On my 120's, I always buff if the build has one. I use dmb, so if you don't like it use great magic shield or great magic barrier and laugh at me.


    _________________
    Your rules are yours
    My honor is mine.
    Perspective is everything.
    We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    avatar
    swordiris
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 746
    Reputation : 15
    Join date : 2012-06-29
    Age : 21
    Location : Texas

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by swordiris on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:52 pm

    I buff. Don't care what other player thinks of that.

    I'm strict about not wearing family masks and DWGR I also won't heal.

    Other than that I duel to win no holds barred.


    _________________


    All hail Prince Amadeous Son of the Goddess Velka
    Join the Messengers http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t22165-messengers-of-velka-reign

    Dark souls fencing
    http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t22202-new-forum-event-dark-souls-fencing
    avatar
    reim0027
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 6715
    Reputation : 381
    Join date : 2012-01-28

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by reim0027 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:02 pm

    For me, it depends. Sometimes I buff, sometimes I don't. In FC, I don't buff. For invasions, I do sometimes. When in the forest, always.


    _________________


    PSN usernames: reim0027_2,   reim0027_3,  and reim0027_5.  Skype ID: reim0027  
    Tour of Lordran Soul Levels  //  Official Wiki Fight Club // Forest Invasion Soul Levels // Low Level Invasion Rules
    avatar
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

    Posts : 11862
    Reputation : 319
    Join date : 2012-02-29
    Age : 23
    Location : The Bakery of Souls, Sydney

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by DoughGuy on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:06 pm

    I dont understand this concept of nbot buffing. If I put 20 SLs into fth so I could use a buff then I am going to use my buff. I paid for it so Im not going to pretend Im a SL 100 against your SL 120 for any reason.


    _________________
    There's more to them - Want to know why your favourite NPC is in lordran? Find out here.
    Farewell to my Noble Knights, while we lived we were mighty. May we meet again in the next game.
    The post that started the legend XD
    avatar
    reim0027
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 6715
    Reputation : 381
    Join date : 2012-01-28

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by reim0027 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:16 pm

    For duels, buffing can be frowned upon. The duels can be over too quickly. 3 hits and dead.


    _________________


    PSN usernames: reim0027_2,   reim0027_3,  and reim0027_5.  Skype ID: reim0027  
    Tour of Lordran Soul Levels  //  Official Wiki Fight Club // Forest Invasion Soul Levels // Low Level Invasion Rules
    avatar
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

    Posts : 11862
    Reputation : 319
    Join date : 2012-02-29
    Age : 23
    Location : The Bakery of Souls, Sydney

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by DoughGuy on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:24 pm

    I can understand that, but still if I have 30 fth and forgot to save Reah from dying in NG then until I get my WoGs Im using my buff.


    _________________
    There's more to them - Want to know why your favourite NPC is in lordran? Find out here.
    Farewell to my Noble Knights, while we lived we were mighty. May we meet again in the next game.
    The post that started the legend XD
    avatar
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1087
    Reputation : 106
    Join date : 2012-07-18

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by ICEFANG on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:48 pm

    I don't use magical buffs because I dislike magic usage in general, but I buff with Rotted Pine Resin if anything, there's no logical reason to not buff in a high risk situation.


    _________________
    DRAGONBRO4LIFE

    See my youtube channel, with Dark Souls Prepare to Die (spoilers):
    www.youtube.com/user/RavenWolfStarcraft2
    See my livestream to watch me do it live (spoilers):
    http://www.twitch.tv/ravenwolfstarcraft2
    avatar
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 25
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by Tolvo on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:02 am

    I only don't like buffing in duels that are supposed to be silly or for fun. If I'm fatrolling in Smough's Armor without a shield and using a boar helmet, do you really have to DMB+3 your Pike? I mean come on, I'm gonna lose the fight, why was that necessary? It kind of comes off to me like, "I don't want to play with you, better get back to my world/send you back to your own as soon as possible."
    avatar
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1500
    Reputation : 104
    Join date : 2012-06-30
    Age : 29
    Location : Finland

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by Juutas on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:18 am

    Umbassa Zealot wrote:
    Juutas wrote:
    Umbassa Zealot wrote:
    Why the whip anyways? everyone knows whips suck. I use unbuffed +15 Iaito though and it has never even crossed my mind to buff it because I simply don't need the buff.

    Show me your skills with a underdog weapon at +15 and I will concede to your statement about buffs being a crutch.

    ...dude, I play naked with Iaito +15 (that is the weakest katana in the game dmg-wise) without using grass or magic and I still don't buff my weapon...I think that should be underdog enough for you.
    And what are these underdog weapons you are talking about? Every non-buffed weapon is underdog weapon against buffed one, or are you saying this because you are using buffs only on **** weapons?
    I don't whine about buffing and usually I even let my opponent to buff before I attack, but I just consider buffing a tryhard thing to do.

    http://tinyurl.com/8vbj4lb

    I think this illustrates my points very fine and debunks yours.

    Not only is the laito arguably the best moveset in the katana category it is also not very far from the uchi.

    Even if I raise dexterity to 40, it's only 10 points of damage off from the uchi. It hardly makes a difference. Even the Chaos Blade is weaker without humanity. Washing Pole is also weaker than the laito at this range. Your Laito is actually quite strong and very top tier weapon material.

    going back to my original example...

    http://tinyurl.com/9qfva86

    We can see that your weapon of choice is not an underdog weapon, especially for the typical sl range of PvP. A Whip however does 1 point of more damage than the Chaos Blade if you don't have any humanity. The Mail Breaker has considerably less damage.

    Before I close I would like for you to define tryhard. As "Tryhard" is not a part of the official english written language and is slang I could perceive it differently than you, and I wish to fully understand your argument.

    Sorry, but I'm a bit lost on what point you are trying to make here? So your point is that you should buff bad weapons because they are bad?
    My point stays the same: If you cannot perform well enough with your weapon of choice unbuffed...then I guess you need to buff it, simple.
    I just don't buff whatever weapon I'm using or whatever build I'm using (I use other weapons than Iaito too, but that is the weapon I use the most.) because I simply don't need to add few hundred dmg bonus on my weapon.


    _________________
    "Now stay down!" "...okay"

    Twitch.tv: www.twitch.tv/blueberryknights
    Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/Juutas1988
    XBOX: Juutas1988
    PC: Juutas1988
    avatar
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1500
    Reputation : 104
    Join date : 2012-06-30
    Age : 29
    Location : Finland

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by Juutas on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:20 am

    WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:
    Juutas wrote:Have you actually played against the guy who is on top of BotG (on xbox)? That guy is a poor player

    I thought that was Rynn. silly

    Really....? Oh man -____-


    _________________
    "Now stay down!" "...okay"

    Twitch.tv: www.twitch.tv/blueberryknights
    Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/Juutas1988
    XBOX: Juutas1988
    PC: Juutas1988
    avatar
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 25
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by Tolvo on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:23 am

    I will say, there are builds that totally can't do enough damage without the buffs, and I mean doing less damage without the buff than a person using a +15. Mostly though, these are builds designed for Co-Op, on my Co-Op toons that use buffing, I only planned the high damage for boss fights. But, if an invader comes along I'll basically need my CMW to deal even 2-300 damage to them.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Buff not lest ye be buffed

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:03 am