Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Dark Souls Lore and Real Life Esoteric Knowledge

PolarisStar
    PolarisStar
    Addicted
    Addicted

Dark Souls Lore and Real Life Esoteric Knowledge  Empty Dark Souls Lore and Real Life Esoteric Knowledge

Post by PolarisStar Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:11 am

Hello everyone,
    I`ve been a forum lurker for a while, but decided to register to share these finding with you guys, so, here it goes:

Every good work of fiction has deeper and hidden truths behind its surface. This is the case for The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and of course Dark Souls (and many others as well). In DK`s case, esoteric knowledge talks about different planes or dimensions to reality. There is the physical plane, the etheric plane, the emotional plane, etc, and for each plane, we men have a corresponding body (physical body, etheric body, etc). When the physical body dies, the consciousness moves to the etheric one, when the etheric one dies, consciounsness moves to the emotional body and so on.

Now, what does Dark Souls lore have to do with this? Well, check this out: It is possible to extend the life of the etheric body (or Undead form as it is called in-game), by stealing or "sucking" etheric essence from other beings (or Souls and Humanity as it is called in-game). This is of course not the natural course of things, and it would be demonic behavior (was not this game gonna be called Demon Soul`s 2?...)

It is also worth noting that the etheric body is seen as a ghostly figure by clairvoyants. Hmmm? Ghostly figures you say? Oh yeah, were have I seen those?... Moreover, the etheric body of a dead person is continuously decomposing (unless it steals etheric essence as stated before). Hmmmm, in which game does your avatar starts as a decomposing body?...

I`m not saying that Lordran is a real place or anything like that, but, the logic or premise behind the game is rooted in real knowledge. Dark Souls is the tragic story about very powerful etheric beings, who desperately try to extend the life or their etheric bodys and kingdoms. Why? Maybe so they can be gods there, knowing that they would not be able to rule dimensions higher than the etheric one (I`m looking at you Mr. Gwyn).

It is worth noting that the japanese people are very spiritual. I`m sure they handle this information as second nature in their culture. I say this because all their works of fiction (anime, video games, movies) have the same spiritual nature (well, most of the works at least).

Ok, to finish this long post, I want to quote the wiki page about what is known as "Hungry Ghots" in the east:

"In Japanese Buddhism, two such creatures exist: the gaki and the jikininki. Gaki (餓鬼) are the spirits of jealous or greedy people who, as punishment for their mortal vices, have been cursed with an insatiable hunger for a particular substance or object. Traditionally, this is something repugnant or humiliating, such as human corpses or feces, though in more recent legends, it may be virtually anything, no matter how bizarre. Jikininki (食人鬼 "man-eating ghosts") are the spirits of greedy, selfish or impious individuals who are cursed after death to seek out and eat human corpses. They do this at night, scavenging for newly dead bodies and food offerings left for the dead. They sometimes also loot the corpses they eat for valuables. Nevertheless, jikininki lament their condition and hate their repugnant cravings for dead human flesh."

Curses you say?...

I hope I did a good job tying the lore to real esoteric knowledge. I also have to say that English is not my mother language, any weirdness of sentence construction and narration is because of this!

Is somebody here friends with EpicNameBro? It would be awesome if he did a 30 minute youtube video explaining the contents of this post to the world.

Sources:
    "The Science of Spirituality" by Lee Bladon.
    "The Etheric Body" by Arthur Powell.
    "Hungry Ghots" Wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungry_ghost).
    RandelOolacile
    RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Dark Souls Lore and Real Life Esoteric Knowledge  Empty Re: Dark Souls Lore and Real Life Esoteric Knowledge

Post by RandelOolacile Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:16 am

That was interesting and well thought out! Welcome to the forums, by the way! ENB responds on his videos, he's pretty reachable. Maybe you can tell him you'd like him to consider something. Good luck! big grin
    PaPaSmVrf
    PaPaSmVrf
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Dark Souls Lore and Real Life Esoteric Knowledge  Empty Re: Dark Souls Lore and Real Life Esoteric Knowledge

Post by PaPaSmVrf Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:28 am

You, my good sir, have blown my mind with this knowledge! the crazy thing is, it makes TOTAL SENSE! big grin
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:35 am

Good stuff. That is pretty cool.

And yeah, ENB is pretty good about talking to you if you comment on his stuff. He's passionate about this game, I'll give him that. Just wish he would cut down on the swearing so I could listen to it when my parents are around lol
    PaPaSmVrf
    PaPaSmVrf
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by PaPaSmVrf Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:37 am

love that avatar slarg
    PolarisStar
    PolarisStar
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by PolarisStar Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:43 am

Slarg232 wrote:Good stuff. That is pretty cool.

And yeah, ENB is pretty good about talking to you if you comment on his stuff. He's passionate about this game, I'll give him that. Just wish he would cut down on the swearing so I could listen to it when my parents are around lol

I just sent him a message over youtube, hope he gives it a serious thought.
    PolarisStar
    PolarisStar
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by PolarisStar Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:46 am

PaPaSmVrf wrote:You, my good sir, have blown my mind with this knowledge! the crazy thing is, it makes TOTAL SENSE! big grin

Yeah, that`s what makes Dark Souls story so compelling, it makes sense from a "hidden reality" point of view.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:54 am

PaPaSmVrf wrote:love that avatar slarg

My avatar isn't nearly as good as yours, Smurf silly

He should, Polaris. While he has stated "I don't usually take clues from outside the game for the Lore", he did bring about the idea of Havel being a rebel against Gwyn because of the fact that a man named Havel was an important part of a French (?) rebellion.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 pm