Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Maneater_Mildred
Tolvo
strangejoy
7 posters

Annoying trend in the forest: Idlers

strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Annoying trend in the forest: Idlers Empty Annoying trend in the forest: Idlers

Post by strangejoy Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:55 pm

I've noticed that quite a few players are leaving their forest rings on, keeping their consoles on, and doing other things while they are summoned repeatedly into the forest. At first, I thought a people were just temporarily afk (it happens -- life calls at unexpected times), but it's been happening at an unusually high freqeuncy. Furthermore, I've chameleoned near one of these guys to see if they ever move (i.e., to test whether they're temporarily afk). They don't. You can wait there for as long as you want, and the only thing that moves them is getting killed by a host.

So what are they doing? As far as I can tell, they're exploiting the forest summoning system to get free souls, rank, and goodies while other people do all the work. They just sit around and get summoned.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I off-base if I humanity suck these guys to teach them a lesson (as a darkwraith)? I really don't like attacking genuine afk'ers, as I can sympathize with their situation (I have a toddler, and I've been killed afk a few times right after she unexpectedly wakes up). However, if people are exploiting forest summoning, they're ruining the game for their fellow forest invaders, who are already getting perpetually double or triple teamed.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Annoying trend in the forest: Idlers Empty Re: Annoying trend in the forest: Idlers

Post by Tolvo Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:04 pm

I have done this on rare occasions, but what I am actually doing is just feeding people while idle. When I do it though I don't wait any longer than twenty minutes, usually I do it when I go on the PC. Very rarely will I actually get anything while doing it. Mostly I do it as a, "Well I'm not doing anything. Might as well help someone else out."
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Annoying trend in the forest: Idlers Empty Re: Annoying trend in the forest: Idlers

Post by strangejoy Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:15 pm

Tolvo wrote:I have done this on rare occasions, but what I am actually doing is just feeding people while idle. When I do it though I don't wait any longer than twenty minutes, usually I do it when I go on the PC. Very rarely will I actually get anything while doing it. Mostly I do it as a, "Well I'm not doing anything. Might as well help someone else out."

How are you helping anyone out? Are you saying that you do this to give free souls to forest campers and to help them engage in 2v1 or 3v1 (your fellow covenent members are doomed to be alone when you do this)? Or are you trying to get free goodies? I really don't get it.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:29 pm

My hope is more for people who are just there, people who aren't there for PvP purposes. As well if there is going to be a gang just me really isn't going to make a difference for the other person. It's just giving out some free souls, and as mentioned I barely do it and when I do, it's for like twenty minutes.
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Tolvo wrote:My hope is more for people who are just there, people who aren't there for PvP purposes. As well if there is going to be a gang just me really isn't going to make a difference for the other person. It's just giving out some free souls, and as mentioned I barely do it and when I do, it's for like twenty minutes.

Hmmm. Ok, this seems a bit misguided, but it's your call. A second live player (even just a meatshield) is actually quite helpful against gangbangers. Additionally, in my experience, maybe 1 in 20 people I invade in the forest appear to be headed to Sif. The vast majority are just standing around waiting to jump phantoms. The primary benefactors in this scenario would appear to be you (free souls) and campers (free souls and guaranteed 2v1 or 3v1). Perhaps I could convince you to stop :| ?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:54 pm

strangejoy wrote:
    Tolvo wrote:My hope is more for people who are just there, people who aren't there for PvP purposes. As well if there is going to be a gang just me really isn't going to make a difference for the other person. It's just giving out some free souls, and as mentioned I barely do it and when I do, it's for like twenty minutes.

Hmmm. Ok, this seems a bit misguided, but it's your call. A second live player (even just a meatshield) is actually quite helpful against gangbangers. Additionally, in my experience, maybe 1 in 20 people I invade in the forest appear to be headed to Sif. The vast majority are just standing around waiting to jump phantoms. The primary benefactors in this scenario would appear to be you (free souls) and campers (free souls and guaranteed 2v1 or 3v1). Perhaps I could convince you to stop :| ?

I'm not entirely married to the idea, so I could easily stop which I probably will. At least until maybe there is more feedback and I can see if it really does more positive or negative.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:01 pm

Im with strangejoy on this, please stop doing it, it helps no one.

Ps. Im old and not upto date with young people speak, what is afk? Lol
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:14 pm

Well I'll continue to Idle, I'll just remember to remove the ring first though. Maybe if people present some ideas as of to the positives and how it helps them I'll do it, but so far it looks like no one likes the idea haha. Oh well, it was an effort at doing some good but I'll just have to find some other half assed way to try and help people.
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:14 pm

Maneater_Mildred wrote:Im with strangejoy on this, please stop doing it, it helps no one.

Ps. Im old and not upto date with young people speak, what is afk? Lol

Hah. It means "away from keyboard," which is a way of saying that you've temporarily stepped away from your console. I just learned that today, so I thought I'd try it out. Fyi, I'm 33, so I'm not exactly a spring chickadee either.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:27 pm

Lol ty i never would have worked that out as my ps3 has no keyboard o.O
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:00 pm

We all learn something every now and then don't we. Praise the internet!Annoying trend in the forest: Idlers 639795459
    Midgar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Midgar Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:49 pm

I've done that before. I should do it with my SL 666, let people have lots of souls silly
    jjshowal
    jjshowal
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jjshowal Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:47 pm

There really needs to be a bible on gaming/internet acronyms. I'm 23 and feel out of the loop haha.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:56 pm

same here and im 18. Too much too fast thats pretty much the pace of technology and it's subcultures today.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm