slab farming

RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Re: slab farming

Post by RandelOolacile on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:03 pm

DigitaLinsanitY wrote:I know about the elevator. I don't like using it because it forces me to back track a bit to get two wraiths. Never tried the drop, if it places me in the open area in front of the huge gate I may give it a go. I never timed it, but it just seemed faster to sprint across the bridge in the valley of drakes.

I'm sure the best course of action for you would be to go with what feels right, especially since farming is about repetition you'll want to be most comfortable. big grin

As far as the "something else" notion, I've kinda come to this conclusion as well. When I was farming scales it got to where i was averaging two a run consistently for about six or seven runs. Then, for some reason lost to memory, I decided to leave the area. When I came back it took another three or four rotations before I was averaging the same amount again. Maybe what constitutes a change of venue would be similar to the stipulations for the Petrus/Rhea murder. Who knows...happy

http://tinyurl.com/964ob2h
    PSN: StarScarJenova
    DigitaLinsanitY
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DigitaLinsanitY on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:17 pm

Maybe there is something to this "don't do something else" theory. During one farm session I was getting absolutely no slabs for what seemed like forever. Then I got a slab in 2 runs in a row. At that point I was tickled to death at my luck and proceeded doing something else.

Maybe next time I need to farm, I'll try to see if I can get a consistently better run to drop ratio after I get my first slab drop. Seems like a really tedious experiment.....

Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:22 pm

i actually find it to be the opposite when i'm farming for whatever…the drop rate seems to always be good when i first start my farming runs, then it slowly drops off the longer i continue until eventually i just get nothing at all. for some reason, reloading the area where i'm farming seems to improve the drop rate as well. being summoned or invading rather than quitting and reloading seems to work the best in my experience.

i sometimes also wonder if having a high drop rate is actually detrimental when you are looking for rare items. especially when the mob has more than one possible drop. this was the case in Demons Souls at least, where a high drop rate didn't improve the quality of the drops, only the chances for something dropping. in other words, the item that drops will be one that has a high drop rate already ruining the chances for getting a rare item,
    Bloodios
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bloodios on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:30 pm

Maybe the item discovery system is simply broken. I once obtained a slab and a whole lot of chunks without a single humanity or the ring equipped. Now I hardly get anything at all even with max item discovery.

Addicted

Post by DigitaLinsanitY on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:34 pm

lol! I've had exact opposite results. Every slab drop from the wraiths was from farming. They have never dropped a slab for me when I'm on a normal play-through to kill the four kings (I've killed them a bunch.....)

stereo.pete

Post by stereo.pete on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:52 am

Well, here's an update from my play through. I am now up to 125 chunks and 0 slabs. When farming I am constantly throwing down a summon sign to break up the boredom of farming slabs as well as to gain souls to level. I will say that tonight the four kings were extra hard it seemed. I was 0 for 8 summons against the kings, holy cow that was crazy. What would be a better weapon to use against them, my +14 claymore or a +4 quelags fury? 35 str and 31 dex for important stats.
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:56 am

I would say the Clay + lightning buff. Also, are you doing an experiment to see how long it takes to get a slab? At this rate, you could have done a few playthoughs and had 6+.

PSN usernames: reim0027_2,   reim0027_3,  and reim0027_5.  Skype ID: reim0027  
    Tour of Lordran Soul Levels  //  Official Wiki Fight Club // Forest Invasion Soul Levels // Low Level Invasion Rules

Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:14 am

reim0027 wrote:at this rate, you could have done a few playthoughs and had 6+.

lol! that's how i farm for slabs…a full play-through takes allot less time than murdering hundreds of dark wraiths.
    SATLOS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SATLOS on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Stereo, I could drop you a few if you're on PSN.

I still have yet to "pay forward" the 15 titanite slabs that another forum member gave me at one point.
    RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RandelOolacile on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:21 pm

I finally had a slab drop from a wraith. I was way early into my ng+ last night, I'm talking before the Taurus early, and decided to go into new londo for the firekeeper soul. While there I thought, why not just get the draining and all out of the way. I kill Ingward, drain the spot and the first wraith I kill is the one lone guy closest to the Beatrice summon sign. He falls to my sword then produces the Super slab of justice! big grin

Last edited by RandelOolacile on Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://tinyurl.com/964ob2h
    PSN: StarScarJenova

stereo.pete

Post by stereo.pete on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:47 am

SATLOS wrote:Stereo, I could drop you a few if you're on PSN.

I still have yet to "pay forward" the 15 titanite slabs that another forum member gave me at one point.

Satlos, I really appreciate your generosity but unfortunately I am one of the few on Xbox. I decided to quit farming DW's and continue with my game since I'm not even on new game + yet. I'm level 109 from all the DW farming I have done and this game has become pretty easy. I just beat Firesage and Chaos Centipede on the first tries, which probably isn't impressive but I felt that they were way too easy. Perhaps when I find Sigmeiyer down here in Izalith I will get a slab from him.

stereo.pete

Post by stereo.pete on Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:10 pm

Well, bad news I left one of the octo creatures alive in Izalith and on my way back up to speak to Sig the damn thing decides to suicide itself so now I only received the speckled ring. This game is working against me I swear!
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth on Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:23 am

The Sig storyline never seems to work out for me.

manchild

Post by manchild on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:28 am

OP here. For what its worth i went back to the great hollow and got a slab from my first lizard. i wish i realized i could just exit/load on top of their spawn point sooner.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:03 pm