Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
Maneater_Mildred
Forum Pirate
WyrmHero
OrnsteinBro
BartholomewWenceslas
cloudyeki
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Bloodios
Heroez Blade
swordiris
Baiulus
15 posters

Why do people hate pinwheel masks?

Baiulus
    Baiulus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Why do people hate pinwheel masks? Empty Why do people hate pinwheel masks?

Post by Baiulus Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:07 pm

I've never quite understood it...
    swordiris
    swordiris
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Why do people hate pinwheel masks? Empty Re: Why do people hate pinwheel masks?

Post by swordiris Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:09 pm

Because they are ugly and add new abilities which is like a third ring slot.

The abilities make everyone want to use one and it ruins all the gear variety.
    Baiulus
    Baiulus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Baiulus Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:17 pm

I honestly wouldn't think that'd be that much of a problem...
    Mask of the Child adds stamina regen, which is useful, but only goes so far.
    Mask of Father could be a bit more of a problem, and let's people wear more.
    Mask of Mother adds health, and that chunk of health could keep you from death.

It seems like just another thing I see people on this forum ***** about constantly. I love the game, and I've learned to accept the fact that people are going to use what the game supplies for their use, which they logically should.
    Heroez Blade
    Heroez Blade
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Heroez Blade Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:19 pm

I always use the mask of the mother for that extra health boost. I dont see a problem with any of the masks or items that people tend to complain about, i think they work well with some builds.
    Bloodios
    Bloodios
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bloodios Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:21 pm

Hey! Hey! Hey! My housewife mask is anything but UGLY.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:34 pm

swordiris pretty much covered it.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:46 pm

More than anything 2 of the 3 represent Min/Max at the core. Wanna have more poise/health? MoM/F + DWGR + Havel's = flipping giants/havels with elemental gear and a ***-ton of health. It makes it more repetitive, because these builds are so limited and yet they're all over.

They're not bad items. They just lead to people stacking they're abilities to make what seems to be an OP set-up.

BartholomewWenceslas
    BartholomewWenceslas
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BartholomewWenceslas Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:52 pm

I don't really have a problem with them. I use MoF sometimes when I'm using heavy weapons and I want to keep fast roll, or sometimes I use it as a replacement for havel's ring so that I can use that extra ring slot, but I personally don't like the look of it at all, so I prefer wearing something different (I typically go for looks over DEF anyway)
    OrnsteinBro
    OrnsteinBro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinBro Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:04 pm

Well, MotM is a sign that the gank wearing it probably has over 2.2k hp and needs at least 3 hornet ring aided backstabs in the rear to kill.

And that's if you can get past his equally fat lagstab intent MotM phantom while he chugs his 20 charges of +7 estus every time you manage to put a dent in his gargantuan hp bar.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:14 pm

I used to hate the mom, but when I found out that I could have +2000 HP with fap ring, I just can't hate it anymore. I try to match it with cool armor because it's still so f**** ugly.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:21 pm

I've said it before I'll say it again. Don't matter to me, they all burn the same. Just gotta take your time with the grilling is all.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:06 pm

My confusion is why people hate the masks, but don't hate the crown of dusk/dark son. Either of those combined with some skill can allow wog or gc to hit for over 1k damage, and these are weaker spells.

The 20% hp isn't a big deal, at most is 450ish more (thats with rofap at max vit) which is enough to take 1 or 2 more hits. More commonly it adds 2-300 hp, which is likely only 1 extra hit. The MoC sucks, the colarthy ring is more than twice as powerful, and the MoF adds 15% equipment burden, which does very little at 40 end because of havels ring and the dwgr. Even without them, the menue swap would allow essentialy the same thing, it would simply take an extra half a second.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:11 pm

I don't hate them, I just don't wear them as my sack is 10 times better.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:58 pm

Exactly. The problem doesn't lie on the masks per se, but on the way you can stack the same benefit from different sources.

Grass Crest Shield + Cloranthy Ring + Green Blossom + Mask of the Child = Hey, I wonder why my green bar never goes down.

Last edited by Azran on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:00 am

Azran wrote:Exactly. The problem doesn't lie on the masks per se, but on the way you can stack the same benefit from different sources.

GRASS Crest Shield + Cloranthy Ring + Green Blossom + Mask of the Child = Hey, I wonder why my green bar never goes down.

winking
    Baiulus
    Baiulus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Baiulus Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:08 am

Take the mask out of that equation, you'll still have ridiculous stamina regeneration.
    We might as well rage at the ever prevalent Green Blossom.
    "It's like an extra ring slot you ingest in a mere second!"
    swordiris
    swordiris
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by swordiris Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:10 am

Baiulus wrote:Take the mask out of that equation, you'll still have ridiculous stamina regeneration.
    We might as well rage at the ever prevalent Green Blossom.
    "It's like an extra ring slot you ingest in a mere second!"

Green blossom is a buff, that is fair. But wearing mask of the child you can administer a different buff while getting the same effect.

Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:16 am

Its still less than half as effective as the ring. Shield+mask+grass is STILL less effective than the ring, its completely nuts how strong the rings effect is. Having both used and not used every combination of stamina regen gear, I'd say either the mask or the shield are worth it, not both because it takes another, slot that could be put to better use, and the ring alone is worth it, because it essentialy makes stamina management a non-issue.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:42 am

Green Blossom operates on a time counter. If your opponent waits long enough, it runs out. Not so with the mask. It's simple, it shouldn't stack.

Also, thanks for poiting that out, Pendant. I mispelled a name, I'm unworthy. silly
    russiannightmare
    russiannightmare
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by russiannightmare Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:02 am

I don't have a problem with the masks themselves as I have made builds that use them, but the problem is with the kinds of players that you see using them. They tend to BS fish, gank, hornet ring and BKGA combo, camp with two buddies and crush you into dust as you spawn and then proceed to taunt you like they just won a tuff battle. And there's always the full Havel and MoF combo using a BKGA and flipping like it gets them extra credit or something.

As for the rest of us that just use them to supplement a build and don't mind the look I don't mind it because it is in the game and not a glitch.
    RandelOolacile
    RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RandelOolacile Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:37 am

It sucks cause I actually think a couple of the masks are cool looking, and most here now know I'm looks over practicality, but since everyone frowns upon them I've shied away from using them. What a pity...sad
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:39 am

it's essentially because they are the only items in the game that are not rings, yet provide only positives with no negatives. They are vastly superior to every other helmet in the game.

i do not like the dusk crown, but it has a negative, and so it is alright. the other magic buffing helmet gives you a larger hitbox... not much, but shoot arrows at the head and you'll see.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:43 am

Forum Pirate wrote:Its still less than half as effective as the ring. Shield+mask+grass is STILL less effective than the ring, its completely nuts how strong the rings effect is. Having both used and not used every combination of stamina regen gear, I'd say either the mask or the shield are worth it, not both because it takes another, slot that could be put to better use, and the ring alone is worth it, because it essentialy makes stamina management a non-issue.
    ... i thought the ring was weaker then grass. i might equip it and ditch the FAP ring if it's true.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:45 am

Not if I remember correctly. I'd definitely recommend it if you're a stamina hound.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:48 am

I use a rapier... not waiting 10 seconds to poke a greatsword user again would be nice. i currently have FAP equiped because having 192 stamina assists in that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 pm