Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+39
Maneater_Mildred
N_Raist
Joichiro
Serious_Much
Glutebrah
ARSP
Tolvo
Ghadis_God
Federally
Jansports
DoughGuy
VeranoChico
Forum Pirate
Baiulus
Rifter7
swordiris
lextune
lordgodofhell
Rin
JohnnyHarpoon
ParasiticEve
DarkW17
reim0027
Gaxe
FruitPunchNinja
robsthedon
RANT
cloudyeki
isthefridge
Gazman0169
Anchises
Tristan
Swiftie
omega Elf
Idoloni_Belli
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Heroez Blade
Domassus
martyrsbrigade99
43 posters

Sick of the Dark Wood Grain Ring (DWGR)!!!

ParasiticEve
    ParasiticEve
    Casual
    Casual

Sick of the Dark Wood Grain Ring (DWGR)!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Sick of the Dark Wood Grain Ring (DWGR)!!!

Post by ParasiticEve Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:29 pm

There's always going to be that one person that dislikes something, even if it's for something stupid. I laughed when he said "I critique your vids" as if his input would change anything. "Poker" thats another term to laugh at.

OT: Nice vids, enjoyed them as always
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Sick of the Dark Wood Grain Ring (DWGR)!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Sick of the Dark Wood Grain Ring (DWGR)!!!

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:39 pm

Darkwood Grain Ring is lame, at least in PvP (gotta admit I wear it for all my speedthroughs).

One of my favorite builds I have planned (haven't actually executed it) has about 90 END, and will wield Dragon Weapons (or any other STR weapon) and wear medium armor - the special attacks on the Dragon Weapons and the like will stand for magical attacks! Stock up on repair powder, and there's almost no end to your potential destruction, without a point in Int or Fth!
    Tristan
    Tristan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Tristan Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:42 pm

DarkW17 wrote:Umbassa no offense your welcome to your voice your opinion of course man but why would you dislike his video because he is using a spear....I don't get that?

It not like he was turtling with a havel shield...he was using a SKS and buckler shield and striking and baiting parrys like I would if I was using a spear!

Why do people hate it when others use a spear....can't we all use one?

No offense taken. I am just of the opinion that most of his videos have him poking and in some bs fishing (not always with a spear though). I don't like his playstyle or attitude towards other players.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:43 pm

JohnnyHarpoon wrote:Darkwood Grain Ring is lame, at least in PvP (gotta admit I wear it for all my speedthroughs).

One of my favorite builds I have planned (haven't actually executed it) has about 90 END, and will wield Dragon Weapons (or any other STR weapon) and wear medium armor - the special attacks on the Dragon Weapons and the like will stand for magical attacks! Stock up on repair powder, and there's almost no end to your potential destruction, without a point in Int or Fth!

That's all well and good in theory. Till you get parried for using r2s too much.
    Rin
    Rin
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Rin Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:52 pm

i like the ring, just because of ninja flips i would nerf it so only people with 0 poist (light armour) it would also stop armour mixes from using it... tis my opinion
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:59 pm

Just wanna say Brigade is cool, so don't diss on him or I will come Power within Hornet PARRY RIP your toon back to the bonfire.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:00 pm

Calm down, man. Everyone is entitled to there opinion til it proves hurtful to others.
    lextune
    lextune
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by lextune Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:23 pm

As someone else said the ring is easy mode. Which is fine, and those that use it pay the price of looking utterly ridiculous. But to each his own.

I used it for a while when the game first came out, trying to keep up, but once I got good, I ditched it for the fast rolling wolf ring builds and have not looked back.
    swordiris
    swordiris
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by swordiris Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:55 pm

You said you don't like hornet ring and Pinwheels in your builds.

I understand Family masks (hate them with a passion) but what is wrong with Hornets? It is one of the less offensive rings in my opinion.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:56 pm

everyone hates everything. who cares, die, learn, adapt.
    Baiulus
    Baiulus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Baiulus Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:05 pm

^ /thread
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:14 pm

swordiris wrote:You said you don't like hornet ring and Pinwheels in your builds.

I understand Family masks (hate them with a passion) but what is wrong with Hornets? It is one of the less offensive rings in my opinion.

Lol how is the hornets ring not an offensive ring?

Swing at me once with the wrong weapon....oops your OHKO parryd and dead sounds pretty offensive to me?
    swordiris
    swordiris
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by swordiris Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:17 pm

Don't get parried or BS'd. It's a fair ring. I just wish there was an opposite to that.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:27 pm

There is. It's called "MAGIC" big grin

Jeez, if you're gonna have a parry dagger out, I'm not even gonna bother with starting with melee.
    swordiris
    swordiris
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by swordiris Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:33 pm

I mean an anti hornet ring that lowers bs damage.

Magic isn't as effective as it would seem. Zoning vs Rushdown depends on how good each player is at their art.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:38 pm

It's more that I'll fake hits and catch you with fire than anything as artsy as that. That said, NO ONE is completely immune to fire unless they're rocking THIS!
    robsthedon
    robsthedon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by robsthedon Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:37 am

lextune wrote:As someone else said the ring is easy mode. Which is fine, and those that use it pay the price of looking utterly ridiculous. But to each his own.

I used it for a while when the game first came out, trying to keep up, but once I got good, I ditched it for the fast rolling wolf ring builds and have not looked back.

Ditch the wolf ring use the hornets instead
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:27 am

Rifter7 wrote:everyone hates everything. who cares, die, learn, adapt.
    This. I have both kinds of characters, which I go for depends on the build. As my builds are built specifically for the gear they use, I know before my stats are started wether or not I will be using it, my mages all benefit more from other rings.

@omega elf http://tinyurl.com/8mjzy76 6 points and a shield swap. Your physical and fire defense go down, but magic/lightning go up. Merely pointing out that its not impossible without 14 points, it just takes streamlining the builds equipment.
    omega Elf
    omega Elf
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by omega Elf Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:42 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:
    Rifter7 wrote:everyone hates everything. who cares, die, learn, adapt.
    This. I have both kinds of characters, which I go for depends on the build. As my builds are built specifically for the gear they use, I know before my stats are started wether or not I will be using it, my mages all benefit more from other rings.

@omega elf http://tinyurl.com/8mjzy76 6 points and a shield swap. Your physical and fire defense go down, but magic/lightning go up. Merely pointing out that its not impossible without 14 points, it just takes streamlining the builds equipment.

i don't go beyond 120sl so i'd have to shave those extra points off vitality losing me 400hp, also 160 stamina down from 192 is a big deal i lose a swing on my weapon
    lets say i now go up against a build using pyro with 2000+ hp, if i stunlock him i'm liable to run out of stamina, and as my fire defence has gone to sh*t, taking a combution to the scrotum will likely now result in me getting owned

Last edited by omega Elf on Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
    VeranoChico
    VeranoChico
    Casual
    Casual

Post by VeranoChico Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:50 pm

I find it hilarious cartwheeling with fat armor like smoughs or catarina armor.
    I use it mainly for fun. If it's serious fighting, fast rolling or medium rolling is good enough for me.
    martyrsbrigade99
    martyrsbrigade99
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by martyrsbrigade99 Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:19 am

For all of those who have suggested that I "created a rule," you guys obviously did not "LISTEN" to the video(s). I NEVER said that it should not be used or anything remotely close to that. What I said was, by using the fast roll, anyone can be just as successful as I attempted to demonstrate in, not only these, but many of my more recent vids. My commentary, never said anything against the ring or ring users. I stated my opinion and challenged those who were under the believe that the DWGR is a necessary condition for PvP success.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:26 am

Bit of a necrobump but Ill throw in my 2c. I recently, in a bid to get better/see how good I am, went from black iron armour and the DWGR on by FH build to Pharis hat + black tights and hornets ring. Now over 2 nights of invading I noticed something big. I found there was no difference for me between fast roll an flip. I never had a scenario where I was rolling (at the start or end of the animation) and was hit. What killed me far more often was the lack of poise. So basically what Im saying is that imo the onyl difference between the DWGR and fast roll is the amount of poise you can have. Of course with the extra ring slot you can now use the wolf ring or Havels and mitigate that problem easily. SO for me the DWGR no longer seems necessary.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:21 pm

DoughGuy wrote:Bit of a necrobump but Ill throw in my 2c. I recently, in a bid to get better/see how good I am, went from black iron armour and the DWGR on by FH build to Pharis hat + black tights and hornets ring. Now over 2 nights of invading I noticed something big. I found there was no difference for me between fast roll an flip. I never had a scenario where I was rolling (at the start or end of the animation) and was hit. What killed me far more often was the lack of poise. So basically what Im saying is that imo the onyl difference between the DWGR and fast roll is the amount of poise you can have. Of course with the extra ring slot you can now use the wolf ring or Havels and mitigate that problem easily. SO for me the DWGR no longer seems necessary.

You are treating the symptom not the cause. If you take off DWGR and replace it with Wolf/Havel's because the only noticed difference between fast and flip to you is the amount of poise you can carry whilst maintaining your burden limits then you didn't actually "gain" the now DWGRless ring slot, you simply shifted the slot over to a less optimal choice.

Of course I would never say anything is 100% mandatory for success and I applaud The sentiment of Martyr's videos. He wanted to show that fast roll and solid game sense can allow a player to succeed in PvP, and he did a fine job of it (As a sidenote I also like the tone of his voice, it's nice to listen to)

However I would be hard pressed to concede that if you wanted to win above all else, You'd end up flipping. And as such I will never condone judgment of another players skill or attitude based entirely on their choice of gear. Giantmom flippers? Respect. They want to win in earnest and have the clarity to seek out and make use of optimized builds. Large Club? I am deathly afraid it's come with a hornet's but I respect their choice.
    omega Elf
    omega Elf
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by omega Elf Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:05 pm

It comes across to me, that many players who choose the fast roll option,
    they see themselves as somehow superior - that they look down upon their
    dwgr adversary's as somehow lesser than them for using this "crutch".

I'm not claiming the guy in this video feels this way, I don't know, I haven't
    watched the video, but their are certainly players that do suggest this.

I think it's stupid. By that mentality, I could go NO roll and assuming I could
    win fights, which is pretty easy using a weapon like the Claymore, I could
    claim I was the absolute s**t for not using ANY roll.

Just let players use whatever roll they like, it doesn't make you any less of
    a player based on which roll you use.

I'll personally stick with the dwgr, as I prefer the roll animation, the fact you
    don't make a loud thud every time you roll, it has better invincibility frames,
    allows for the use of better armors, have good poise, cover more distance...
    I just think it's all-around better, I mean, come on, whats not to like.
    Tristan
    Tristan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Tristan Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:20 pm

omega Elf wrote:It comes across to me, that many players who choose the fast roll option,
    they see themselves as somehow superior - that they look down upon their
    dwgr adversary's as somehow lesser than them for using this "crutch".

I'm not claiming the guy in this video feels this way, I don't know, I haven't
    watched the video, but their are certainly players that do suggest this.

I think it's stupid. By that mentality, I could go NO roll and assuming I could
    win fights, which is pretty easy using a weapon like the Claymore, I could
    claim I was the absolute s**t for not using ANY roll.

Just let players use whatever roll they like, it doesn't make you any less of
    a player based on which roll you use.

I'll personally stick with the dwgr, as I prefer the roll animation, the fact you
    don't make a loud thud every time you roll, it has better invincibility frames,
    allows for the use of better armors, have good poise, cover more distance...
    I just think it's all-around better, I mean, come on, whats not to like.

There seems to be a pattern around here... If you use a spell and/or any item (especially if you specialize in fth) and your opponent does not it tends to make you look like a noob. To me it's a childish way of thinking.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am