Sick of the Dark Wood Grain Ring (DWGR)!!!

Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Re: Sick of the Dark Wood Grain Ring (DWGR)!!!

Post by Tolvo on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:50 am

Or I'm trying to make the fight more fair in my eyes, limiting myself to give myself more of a challenge while letting my enemy have more of a chance. Trying to offset my skills by giving myself lesser gear. Also are souls a reward for me? I have no use for them, so they aren't a reward to me. My joy I get from a fight is the reward for me, its the whole reason I play. If I wanted rewards or something out of my time, I'd be working or doing something better with my time. Why am I playing a game? To have fun.
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:47 am

I find extremely funny that players who claim its just fine, because its not the best ring, and then take it off realize they aren't correct about it. Its the best ring, I'm all for removing it and RoFaP, two rings that work for almost any build and make the game much easier.

I also think its funny when people say that Havel's and Wolf rings will take the spot of the one ring, or either just one and adjustments will work. Its so easy to make a build nearly-strictly better with the DWGR rather than Havel's or Wolf.

Like this, amazingly better, except for 3 poison resistance.
    http://tinyurl.com/9gop56k (with Havel's)
    http://tinyurl.com/993ym4p (with DWGR)

They just don't compare. Even though you can add the Wolf Ring to make sample 1 poise higher, you can do the same with sample 2 and make it even higher. Flips are considered, overall, to be much superior to fast roll too, there is no comparison, Havel's place is to make medium rolling extremely easy to do, not fast rolling. With Havel's, getting to medium roll is so easy, but in comparison, with DWGR, getting flips is just as easy.

Really, give me any build, anyone that uses armor and doesn't have the DWGR, and I can make it almost 100% better by adding it and adjusting the armor to work right. DWGR is the best ring, hands down.

See my youtube channel, with Dark Souls Prepare to Die (spoilers):
    www.youtube.com/user/RavenWolfStarcraft2
    See my livestream to watch me do it live (spoilers):
    http://www.twitch.tv/ravenwolfstarcraft2
    omega Elf
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by omega Elf on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:51 am

Tolvo wrote:Or I'm trying to make the fight more fair in my eyes, limiting myself to give myself more of a challenge while letting my enemy have more of a chance. Trying to offset my skills by giving myself lesser gear. Also are souls a reward for me? I have no use for them, so they aren't a reward to me. My joy I get from a fight is the reward for me, its the whole reason I play. If I wanted rewards or something out of my time, I'd be working or doing something better with my time. Why am I playing a game? To have fun.

Ok, You play for fun - not to win (in the literal sense). I do the same.
    Though, I don't consider myself, better, for denying myself, the use of
    all available options. If winning was my ultimate goal, it would merely
    be a reflection of my stupidity (and/or arrogance).

To expect my opponents, to limit themselves, in the same fashion, that
    I may stand, more of a chance, of beating them, is also kind of absurd.
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:55 am

In a literal sense I'm still winning, because I'm getting what I want out of a fight where a challenge is found. So yes I'm still literally winning. I'd expect my opponent to limit themselves in a similar fashion if they liked to challenge themselves greatly. It's kind of like how Cally and those others do SL1 runs of NG+7 and etc. They are challenging themselves and making the fights harder for themselves to get more joy out of it, just as I'm doing.

If I'm entering a fight with a friend who knows I like to wear goofy gear and screw around, I might think they'll join me an use an egg head and try to fight with a plank shield or something. But that's the fun of it, I don't care all that much about guys wearing the best armor in the game with long reaching stunlocking dead angle weapons, rolling about going for one shot kills. I like it when things are more casual, people aren't just trying to kill each other but just enjoy the game.
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:30 pm

I have used the DWGR as much as anyone and I am more than well aware of the benefits of using the ring...what I am trying to say is I have straight up won more duels since removing it!

I think of DWGR as a defensive ring giving you more I frames/poise/defense ect....I want a ring that hurts people and I will sacrifice the benefits of the DWGR for the ability to do more dmg!

I am an offensive evasive fighter not using it so far has been to my advantage...do you know what a RTSR hornets ring parry/rpstl does???? Ya your whole life bar or anyones....I don't rely on this but just an example I usually use RTSR and leo ring!

With all the talk about DWGR how come no one talks about un locking more for your opponent? With unlocking and fast rolling I feel I would have more I frames than a DWGR flipper who is locked on...unlocking allows you to roll threw there attack 99% of the time!!

Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:39 pm

You know what would be cool? If fromsoft made it so dwgr could not be used with poise, but it also turned your kicks into that spin kick from the DLC trailer. It would make it so you cant have armor with poise or use wolf ring, but you could carry any weapons you wanted and save points in end. It would still be very viable, but just not as goofy and out of place. I'm very very curious about that spin kick.
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:16 pm

Nice Idea Fruit Punch but a spin kick would take longer than a regular kick and thus would be impractical.

Projects Completed
    Spoiler:

"The outcome of any serious research can only be to make two questions grow where only one grew before"- Thornstein Veblen
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:41 pm

How about the spin kick from Street Fighter (Ryu or Ken). We already have the uppercut and the hadoken.

PSN usernames: reim0027_2,   reim0027_3,  and reim0027_5.  Skype ID: reim0027  
    Tour of Lordran Soul Levels  //  Official Wiki Fight Club // Forest Invasion Soul Levels // Low Level Invasion Rules
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:51 pm

I'm guessing that the spin kick might make it so you can not be backstabbed while in that animation. Or something along those lines. Or it just has i-frames, i dont know. I know it wont just be the same thing as kick, and it seemed pretty fast.
    rywhitty222
    Casual
    Casual

Post by rywhitty222 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:20 pm

This is my opinion. I feel it is not the ring that is the problem but the weight of the armors. Giants and havel's both have a description that they weigh a ton, but in practice their weight is not that high and can easily be implemented with under 50% weight. I feel that FROM wanted to give the option for users of the med armors to be fast but in doing so allowed the heavy armors to be fast aswell.

My fix would be by patching the weight of the giant/havel/stone/black iron armors. Each part of these sets should get a increase of about 33% making it impossible without focusing strictly on endurance to get under 50% to wear the ring effectively.

The ring in theory is a really cool idea and i would hate for it to be removed
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:21 pm

It looked like an NPC doing the spin kick in the trailer for PtD so I'm guessing it's not something payers will be able to do, it also looked really low, more like a sweep It'd be interesting if there was a non damaging knockdown option like that (though this'd probably make GC even better needlessly)
    omega Elf
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by omega Elf on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:05 am

My guess, is the spin kick, is a close quarters, 360, knockdown move.
    Most probably, From's answer, to the no.1 issue players have -
    back-stabs. You'll probably acquire the ability, through some new piece
    of armor, or head-gear (a ring, would be too big a sacrifice, negating the
    moves benefits). I'd also imagine, the knockdown, would inflict damage;
    How much, possibly, dependent on your stats.
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:07 am

Jansports wrote:It looked like an NPC doing the spin kick in the trailer for PtD so I'm guessing it's not something payers will be able to do, it also looked really low, more like a sweep It'd be interesting if there was a non damaging knockdown option like that (though this'd probably make GC even better needlessly)

It was a black phantom Npc. Not a PvE mob. We can do everything Npcs can do, no reason that's gonna change.

Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:43 am

I can't solo Golem like Tarkus =(
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:47 am

And we can't drop kick like Andre

Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:55 am

skarekrow13 wrote:And we can't drop kick like Andre

We can do everything the guys who appear as phantoms do, correct?

Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:04 pm

We don't know if he appears as a phantom, we can't get a phantom anywhere close to him. He is no human though. He has no humanity, he leaves a body when he dies. I'm pretty sure he's a demon, and his father and mother are chuck norris.

Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:05 pm

The first trailer released showed a black phantom doing the spin kick. Then the rest of your post confuses me lol

Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:07 pm

Oh I thought you mean that Andre would appear as a phantom to phantoms, like all NPCs do, I wouldn't think so, because he is a demon.

skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:25 pm

Andre was just one of a decent number of examples that we can't do it all. I know he's not a phantom but the fact that there's an attack in the game from a humanoid that isn't available to us means that they're not opposed to making exceptions. It's also not the only attack we can't use despite seeing enemies do it that are roughly our size and shape. I don't know if they'll let us sweep or not I just don't feel it's a given either way.

FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:42 pm

I don't think they would have put it in the trailer if it was not something we could do ourselves. There is not a single npc invader that can do something that the player can not. Same with npc summons. I'm positive the spin kick is something we will be able to do. After looking at it a few more times, i really think its a knock down move but also a way to avoid backstabs. I think anything that could prevent you from being backstabbed is worth a ring slot.
    Rockstar2112
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Rockstar2112 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:58 pm

So many people hating on the DWGR. I roll with an SL 120 str/faith build (cant remember the specific stats) with Havel's and DWGR. full black knight armour +5, black knight shield +5/greatshield of artorias +5, black knight greataxe +5 and a talisman to cast Great Lightning Bolts and I still flip around like a ninja. It's just awesome.

Dedicated SunBro, dude.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:13 am