Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
ICEFANG
User
Shkar
DoughGuy
Tolvo
9 posters

Who is the Duke of Hazard?

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Who is the Duke of Hazard? Empty Who is the Duke of Hazard?

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:41 am

So I've been doing some research into the Duke's Archives lately and while many of you already realize this, I didn't notice it until now. I always assumed that Seath was the Duke, as he lords over the Archives yet...The books belong to a human, they are to be read by humans or similar sized beings. The only readable books have some measure of importance to history, not sorcery. An archive is a collection of information yes, but usually about history and culture, as well as people. Not to mention the fact that the majority of the structure is designed for humans/humanoids, who is the Duke? Seath can barely get around his own building with his size, yes his servants can move around things for him but does he really trust them that much? There is machinery as well as musical items littered about. Globes and artwork of the Way of White and Gwynevere. Who the hell owned this building before Seath?Who is the Duke of Hazard? DukesArchives-2

Last edited by Tolvo on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Who is the Duke of Hazard? Empty Re: Who is the Duke of Hazard?

Post by DoughGuy Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:46 am

Seath was awarded his dukedom for helping Gwyn was he not? Perhaps the archives were initially a library like collection of books, and were only renamed the duke's archives after Seath moved in when gwyn departed.

I would also take a look at the earl of carim. He needed subjects for experiments and such. Those cells would be useful.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:49 am

But, why would he make a Dragon a Duke? The Duke is right below the King, so if Gwyn was to perish over Havel, his children, any of his knights, anyone in existence he would really make his Duke be the traitor Dragon Seath, who is an abomination that no one entirely trusts? It still does ask though, who owned it before him? It also begs the question when was it created? Because if Seath was to be Duke after helping to defeat the dragons, the building would have been designed for him, yet it wasn't. It makes it appear that this building precedes Seath's assistance, or his dukedom.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:57 am

Somewhat off topic and irrelevant, but the music in the Archives that enrages the mini-Cthulus. The manual says you don't have your soul, and the soul is often referred to as what makes us enjoy music, art, and etc. What if the music is perfectly normal to living things like the snakemen and only horrible to the soulless undead?
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:59 am

Seath can't read. Not much point in looking at em inside. So he has channelers
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:59 am

First of all, that music is deadly to me. I have to mute the game when I do that part, I have tinnitus man!

Secondly, it seems more like a torture thing. Torture something while music plays, specific music, and only when being tortured is it played. Do this month after month, eventually when you play the music without it the creature will feel threatened whenever it plays, thus it will search out threats and try to end them. It strikes me as more so something trained, than something natural.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:06 am

No, even to the player it just seems like creepy sounds and haunting tones. It isn't even music. Unless Seath was in to horror video game themes, there's no reason to have a record of that.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:07 am

In an archive if they are collecting music of all kinds, they'd collect the creepy ones too.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:09 am

Tolvo wrote:In an archive if they are collecting music of all kinds, they'd collect the creepy ones too.

We aren't shown any music collection. We see a good portion of the tower, but all we see are books and a single record player and record.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:11 am

There are stands from which a conductor would place a a music book to conduct in an orchestra, as well they could be used for players to put down their sheets. The place has a record player, as well there are many books. Any one of which could be about music, in fact there is a mention of plays so there is reason there would be music to go with plays. If there was a scary scene, you would want scary music to accommodate it so you might have set up music to play with the scene as actors portray the characters.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:12 am

https://2img.net/h/i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/TolvoArt/Dark%20Souls%20Lore/DukeBook3.jpg
    https://2img.net/h/i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/TolvoArt/Dark%20Souls%20Lore/DukeBook2.jpg
    https://2img.net/h/i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/TolvoArt/Dark%20Souls%20Lore/DukeBook1.jpg

The books.

https://2img.net/h/i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/TolvoArt/Dark%20Souls%20Lore/DukeSymbol4.jpg

Symbol from Gwynevere's room.

https://2img.net/h/i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/TolvoArt/Dark%20Souls%20Lore/DukeSymbol5.jpg

Symbol of the Way of White, found in Anor Londo, and the Undead Church.
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:06 am

Lady of Darkling says he was granted Dukedom and like Acidic said, Seath is blind, he doesn't need to read the books, it would make sense (and be strange) that the channelers are read to him.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:07 am

That still doesn't explain the content of the Archives, as well as the architecture.
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:10 am

Well obviously he gets around somehow, how does he leave the top of the tower and get into the Crystal Caves?

The content? Like what the books are about? I don't think that anyone has said exactly any titles yet, even if they have, that's like one book in thousands, if you have books I'm sure you have a few you don't read or didn't care for.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:14 am

But music? What interest does Seath have in music, geography, history, It's not just a few things, pretty much everything in the archives has nothing to do with magic, outside of what is in chests, and the books Logan reads.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:17 am

Perhaps Seath wasn't ALWAYS obsessed with immortality. Or perhaps his obsession wasn't to the point where he ignored every other field of knowledge.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:18 am

It's probably the same reason why Pinwheel has so many, and that is for information. Knowledge is Power, and having a storage of power is a good way of keeping a good grasp of it.

The architecture is designed mostly for his followers, not Seath. He has a chamber and access to the prison tower (supposedly), and that is it. The changeless have six eyes to compinstate for the lack if any he has. Seath works on projects, and the Archives are a storage hub if many things.

To be clear, sorceries require intelligence to use, whether you have a catalyst that ties to intelligence or not is irrelevant. As Logan gained more magic from the Archives and the Knowledge he gained, it does not have to be tied just to being magic books, rather knowledge of magic itself.

Seath has the archives for power in knowledge, which has helped him solve many things, and were probably used to find the power of dragon scales. As he is blind, the creature would require help. As the changeless are supposedly designed to see well as well as capture things for experiments... It is not hard to say that the Archives are designed for the channelers to help seath, and may nit be designed for seath to warder and live in. He has other areas he can do that it.
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:19 am

What are you drawing that conclusion from? Besides, he can learn about whatever he wants to, and who's to say that stuff isn't related to sorcery? Heck, if sorcery is soul related, one could argue that things one loves and hates, like music and geography, change how it works.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:19 am

One of his first acts was stealing the crystal that would give him immortality, he was born without the immortality and it is mentioned that he was always jealous of them. He seems to have no access to any part of the structure with the things that have nothing to do with him. Does a series of broken machinery assist him in researching his own immortality?
    swordiris
    swordiris
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by swordiris Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:20 am

Are you sure that building in the OP is the Archives?

I seen that spot from Anor Londo and it seems the archives are way too close to be that building.
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:20 am

Maybe he gave up on it when he went insane, perhaps it was part of the puzzle, you can't know for sure.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:22 am

It is supposed to be the Archives, but yes it actually wouldn't be where it appears from Anor Londo.

So when you make a building for a dragon and his followers, you design it in a manner that isn't intended for him and his followers? I just can't see the logic in it, as well why would Seath want symbols of the Sun Princess, and Way of White? Symbols which are only found in certain spots, it seems more that there were a series of Archives already there, belonging to him or whoever came before him. And he took it for himself.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:24 am

I m surche did not do research just for immortality. As evidence from many other features and designs in Lordran, he seems to have tried to find different means of hypothesized and aims other than just immortality.

And the crystal is very much not a stable source of power. As we have seen, one strike creates mortality for the dragon. The scales that provided immortality wee probably much mire endurant and the power it had was more than just immortality I would suspect.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:28 am

In addition, perhaps he had to FIND the crystal. To the best of my knowledge we do not know exactly how and when he came about it. Perhaps it was only known in legends and he had to "track it down" so to speak.

Also, if by the symbols you mean the patters on the walls, is it not possible that they are just decorations built into the walls by the architect and have no actual meaning?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:32 am

https://youtu.be/f2z_cbgu6bQ

Four minutes in. So Acidic, when looking up Dark Souls Lore how often do you do research of Nigera's Actor's and their family history? How often do you collect records to play back, thinking they might tell you the secrets hidden within?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am