looking for advice

RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Re: looking for advice

Post by RNsunbro on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:19 am

Have you done the gargoyles? Have you tried Carpa yet- he can be a tough one.

demonwolf14

Post by demonwolf14 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:23 am

gargoyles done .. nope not even tried the capra.. i move too slow haha.. on my other xbox i actually had a character setup and playing in the depths but now with the new one i am starting over and re-learning everything so i thought i would come here for help ;-)
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RNsunbro on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:29 am

Ah ok. PS3 user here, so I guess we can't co-op.

The hydra is pretty easy if you have good mobility, hide behind the rock that's to the right near the lake (and attack when it does the head plunging move), and have a good amount of arrows for when it's down to about 1-2 heads. Don't get too far in the water though!
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG on Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:03 am

I will help you if you need it, I will PM you my gamertag and you can add me, I help anytime! But I warn you, I won't hold back on enemies or bosses >: )

demonwolf14

Post by demonwolf14 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:29 pm

Hey all, thank u for everything. The information has been great. I have been thinking about this a lot today and I might rebuild tonight. Something that is much stronger in melee than what I have now. Still starting out with Pyro for some early firepower, but looking still kind of a spell sword but possibly more on the faith side for buffs and stuff to make killing easier and a bit of healing. Initial sword might be Astoria/uchi/zweihander. Any recommendations for stat distro/weapons would be amazing. Again this will be a fresh build and I want something that can survive and not be one-shotted. Also willing to use 2handed weapons as well. Once again sorry about the change.. lol hate being one-shotted.

Edit: for this type of toon.. would it be better to start with knight or Pyro?

demonwolf14

Post by demonwolf14 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:26 pm

ok so i have rebuilt kinda.. or should i say just created a second character.. right now i am level 19 .. I beat the Currently i am a knight..

stats..

Vit = 14
    att = 10
    end = 16
    str = 13
    dex = 14
    fth = 14
    res and in are base

dont remember why i put points into dex.. but i am sure i might need for a weapon sometime.. anyway i am using astoria straight sword and and everything else is starting eq for the knight.. I kinda miss having something to throw at them but.. I think i like this set a bit better.. i am not sooooo fragile.. anyway this will be a faith style build since i already put in faith for the straight sword.. playing with the dragon for free souls at the moment so i can get bow and arrows and kill the shop keeper for Uchi.. where should i put my levels for now.. i know i need to up faith atleast to 20 and am still figuring out end since it is at 16 and i am med roll.. looking to be faster i guess. any thoughts or help?

thank you all for all the information so far.
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:30 pm

Firstly, do you have a maximum level requirement? Because most players don't pass numbers like 80, 100, 120, or 225, so they can play with other players more often. Other numbers higher are less likely to happen, but if your intent is purely PvE, then you shouldn't worry as much about the exact details your build (just follow the advice I already said), and worry more about becoming better at the game personally. If you do have a max level, I can give more exact advice.

See my youtube channel, with Dark Souls Prepare to Die (spoilers):
    www.youtube.com/user/RavenWolfStarcraft2
    See my livestream to watch me do it live (spoilers):
    http://www.twitch.tv/ravenwolfstarcraft2

demonwolf14

Post by demonwolf14 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:34 pm

nope right now is all pve... i am just trying to work on it just to make the game a bit easier.. so far with this set up it seems better.. but trying not to let the same stuff happen that happened in the last build.. 1shotted sucks..
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RNsunbro on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:36 pm

Seems like you're on a pretty good track. Find a good weapon that works for you, the straight sword may be better for you than the uchi. It will just depend on what feels right.

But keep in mind, there's a lot of different weapons you can experiment with. If you find one that you like best, maybe pump stats into whatever it scales with (like faith or dex). Don't forget to get your vit/end to about 50/40 and don't hesitate to upgrade your weapons and armor! Sometimes that can be more beneficial than leveling early on.
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:43 pm

Make sure you upgrade you stuff, that's very key. The low level stuff isn't powerful enough to cut it, well pretty much at all, only until Bell Gargoyles sort of. You can upgrade armor too, forging armor is even easier than forging weapons. Don't forget that I'll get on to help you too, I PMed you my gamertag (don't share it please). But most importantly, prepare to die, you will, as in yourself, will get better and better at this game. The game is beautiful in that it teaches the players how to play. The strength of your character isn't your character, its in you (but the strength of your character can help if you have any weak points).

However, you do want to consider getting one of the weapon buffs for Faith users. Sunlight Blade is very solid and you can have as many casts as Attunement slots you have. Darkmoon Blade is 100% better, but only can be used by Darkmoon Covenant members and only can have one slot (which I think has one cast, but it may be 2 or 3). These buffs are really helpful to add damage. Since Faith users have less buffs, Divine weapons are also pretty good, although they usually have less AR than Chaos/Fire/Lightning weapons, they do do magic damage, and divine damage (which no-one really knows all the details to that). If your Faith is moderate, and you put more points into STR/DEX then you should probably go with a +15 weapon and try to get it buffs like Sunlight Blade or Darkmoon Blade. There is also the Occult upgrade path, but the damage is the same as Divine, or at least extremely close, and the bonus Occult damage is overall less useful in PvE, since Divine weapons kill skeletons (until you rest at a bonfire).

demonwolf14

Post by demonwolf14 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:52 pm

I do want to try out a halberd if i find one.. tempted to use the drake sword for a bit until i can upgrade something.. what would be the first active/offensive miracle i should get? so far like i said i like this character.. i am contemplating getting the str up to 16 next and maybe vit to 16 before i pump up my faith.. maybe flip back and forth between faith and end? sorry to keep asking questions, lol just trying to get some stuff planned out ;-)
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:58 pm

Yeah usually you want to upgrade a stat to the area you need it to be and then switch to another, like Wraith of the Gods requires 28 Faith, and a Halberd requires 16 STR and 12 DEX. You want to increase your STR to 16 first, so you have extra attack power, or your DEX to 12 so you can 2 hand the Halberd if you want to. Then the other. Then you want to upgrade it to +5 right away (if you like it). Having a solid melee weapon is more important for a class that isn't completely magic based, then you want to work on getting to 28 FAI, but perhaps after 2-6 levels in VIT and/or END.

Avoid buying spells from Petus for now, they are really expensive for what you get. And there is a Talisman right below him (fall down the dark area nearby him). Force and Heal are good to start, the other spells aren't worth it, Homeward isn't a bad spell, but not worth a slot when you could just use a Homeward Bone. Great Heal Exert isn't worth it because Heal will heal more overall, but over 3 casts instead of one. And Seek Guidance is terrible, its not worth using at all ever. I'm pretty sure I named them all off.

demonwolf14

Post by demonwolf14 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:09 pm

yeah my plan at the moment is to get my str to 16, dex is already at 14, put 2 into vit to get it to 16 and then flip between end/faith? where do i get my first halberd? Should i go after the capra demon first or go to parish and get some more levels and stuff?

ohh and i got the talisman already. got the winged spear and the zweihander (ugh 24 str) as well..
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:16 pm

You get the first Halberd (usually) right close to the Basement Key, near the portcullis the undead solider lowers in front of you. Outside the church. Go to Parish first, as a new player, you want to keep to the way the game was meant to be played (or as close to that I guess). I would do it like that, but I am a fan for putting a lot of points into END before other stats, so I would get FAI to what it needs to be for now, then up END a bunch along with some VIT.

demonwolf14

Post by demonwolf14 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:19 pm

thank u so much.. got str to 15 now.. 1 more and then vit .. then work on main end/fath. hmm.. i have not found any gear yet.. so still in starter gear.. hmm.. what to do.. plus i have to wait until andre to upgrade anything right/
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RNsunbro on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:21 pm

The gargoyles will drop a halberd if you cut the tail off. Requires 16 faith and 12 dex, not sure how great of a weapon it is though.
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:25 pm

There is a blacksmith in New Londo who can upgrade your stuff, look for a zombie laying on his side and take the stairs to his left. He can upgrade to +5 for you. Starter gear is just fine, its some of the better stuff I think, but its usually outclassed because of some extreme good armor, that weights much more. If you cut their tails off, it gives you a Gargoyles Tail Ax, not Halberd, which requires 14/14.

demonwolf14

Post by demonwolf14 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:27 pm

yeah i have cut the tail off before.. i forgot about the guy that sells the sorceror stuff can upgrade equipment.. will have to check on cost.. dont have much yet lol..
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RNsunbro on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:29 pm

ICEFANG wrote:There is a blacksmith in New Londo who can upgrade your stuff, look for a zombie laying on his side and take the stairs to his left. He can upgrade to +5 for you. Starter gear is just fine, its some of the better stuff I think, but its usually outclassed because of some extreme good armor, that weights much more. If you cut their tails off, it gives you a Gargoyles Tail Ax, not Halberd, which requires 14/14.

Ah ok, couldn't remember. Thanks!

demonwolf14

Post by demonwolf14 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:31 pm

do you guys this it is worth it to upgrade astoria sword? it is "c" in str/dex/fth .. just curious. stat wise it looks like the astoria is better than uchi. gonna break for a few minutes and then go plunder the parish possibly getting to the gargoyles. but currently 16 str/vit, 20 end, and 16 faith.. gonna pump faith for now to match or possibly 25 and then switch back and forth with end. i think lol.
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RNsunbro on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:47 pm

I'd pump vit before you pump faith anymore. And yeah astora sounds like a good sword with the build you're going for.
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:47 am

Its a good sword to start, but no, a lot of other swords will be much better than it after a short time and upgrades, plus its really expensive to upgrade it. The Divine Longsword (which is a while away) will overpower it, even at those lower stats by a good deal. If it wasn't 2000 souls an upgrade, I'd say go for it for now, but since it is, if you like it, you may want to try and longsword and start upgrading that to Divine, it will be better, and more so in the long run.

demonwolf14

Post by demonwolf14 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:56 am

So I made it to the gargoyles and omg it took me forever to kill them.. I did end up getting the tail the helm, halberd, and shield from them. I ended up going back to the drake sword for now. Not a fan of the.normal halberd lol.. still looking for weapons to try and see what I like. Will keep u all updated. Thank u so much for the help. Stat wise I now have 17vit and 17 faith everything else is the same
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:58 am

Halberd weapons require the most practice on actual targets. While quite a few weapons make you whiff (stagger with a miss), halberd weapons do the most. To get good at them, you'll have to spend a fair amount of time practicing on things. It is understandable if you don't like them, but I didn't want you to think they always move like that.

demonwolf14

Post by demonwolf14 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:10 am

I noticed a big difference between the gargoyle halberd and the normal halberd. The normal one seems like a stutter step bash. The gargoyle on actually isn't bad although seems like u cut down and the pause for a moment. I kinda like the sweeping r2. I tried them both with no one around so not sure about how they are damage wise.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:01 pm