Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Anchises
bloodpixel
roanispe
Maneater_Mildred
Gaxe
Heroez Blade
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Spurgun
Rynn
13 posters

Blocking Spells

Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Blocking Spells Empty Blocking Spells

Post by Rynn Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:30 pm

Do you ever do that? Sometimes, I'm too lazy to dodge... and why not?
    My build has 343 magic defense and uses the crest shield...

So blocking Wrath of the Gods does 30 damage and takes roughly 40 stamina
    Blocking Crystal Homing Soulmass does 102 and takes roughly 8 stamina
    Blocking Crystal Soul Spear does 93 damage and takes roughly 60 stamina.

So why not? Often i'll just keep attacking right as someone casts a spell (since I'm a turtle), and i always find it funny... especially the moonlight greatsword, which only does like 29 damage to block it's R2.

Most people stop spamming Wrath of the Gods when they see i'm really just going to ignore it.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Blocking Spells Empty Re: Blocking Spells

Post by Spurgun Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:32 pm

My builds have so little magic def that it’s not worth blocking them, so i dodge all spells.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:38 pm

I don't know why. It's usually just muscle-memory which leads me to lean towards the dodge.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:46 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I don't know why. It's usually just muscle-memory which leads me to lean towards the dodge.
    I used to do that... until i realized if i don't dodge, i have so many more opportunities to attack. Often i just charge right through the soul mass with my shield up because my opponent is expecting me to dodge, when i don't, my rapier plugs them twice for 340 total damage, because they don't dodge in time. Run up to a wrath spammer and poke them with your rapier... 210 or more damage instantly, and blocking the wrath only did a fraction of the damage... but if i dodged instead, it could fail because of lag, and they do not take any damage from me dodging.

I seriously do more damage just by tanking the blasted spell.
    Heroez Blade
    Heroez Blade
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Heroez Blade Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Normally i just dodge because with my setup i still have good stamina to attack even if i role. If im feeling brave i will totally ignore the magic and charge the enemy.
    Gaxe
    Gaxe
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Gaxe Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:31 pm

Well my shield isn't really good at blocking magic damage and it could potentially do 500 damage to me if I tried blocking it...lol
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:33 pm

Wouldn't work with any of my current builds as I don't use shields much... But I think I might try making a anti magic, turtle build. Sounds like a good way of taking out those pure mage builds that are hoping for lag hits.
    roanispe
    roanispe
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by roanispe Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:51 pm

Why block a Wrath of Gods spammer? Just get the roll backstab, and be done with it. A similar idea applies to Homing Soulmass, treat is as a bow, and land the running attack; it's one of the rare chances to land an Ultra Greatsword running attack. I only keep my shield up to deal with stray hits, and to avoid taking unnecessary damage. If I know what they are going to do, I should have a better offensive option than blocking to land a poke. In the case of Soulmass, there is no need to block during the casting, and odds are against being in position to attack when it triggers. Your opponents should have also figured out to just backstab you if they know you are going to run up, and poke them after the second time it happens, or dead-angle, or something at the very least with the knowledge they just got. Your opponent can dead-angle with Wrath of the Gods so be careful, and parrying a shield poke is a lot easier than people think if you aren't using it judiciously.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:57 pm

Soul Spear travels right over your head if you are anywhere near them. I often don't even end up blocking the attack after doing my attack.

I just fought about 30 minutes ago a spirit of vengeance that cast WoTG 30 times (I'm level 230, so this is understandably more likely by now). I blocked WoTG 30 times in a row, then drank an estus flask and all 900 damage he'd done (WoTG = 30 damage X 30 = 900) was gone that fast. I proceeded to smash the spammer into the ground. If i'd tried to dodge, chances are one of those would have got through eventually.

Dead Angling Wrath of the Gods is possible (i don't understand how...), but it's rather difficult to do, and since i run 0 poise, i don't get stagger locked by it.

Normally with Soul Mass, i hit them with a running attack during the cast, then pull up my shield blocking the attack that shoots off instantly afterwards.

Roll BSing a WoTG user teached them nothing, nothing. To them it looks like you just lagged, and so they never change their tactics. What i do forces them to change their tactics. Like mister 30 wraths didn't come back and wrath me next time.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:40 pm

okay... get this.

I just fought a set of gankers that thought it was a good idea to use wrath to stop me from killing the host. So instead of roll outa the way, I held up my shield and gave him a final poke.

Poking removes the knockback that blocking might normally include, so instead of being pushed backwards by WoTG, i didn't move an inch, and got a 600 damage counter hit on the host... killing him.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:09 am

I don't block spells. I deflect them like a boss.
    Anchises
    Anchises
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Anchises Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:41 pm

huh, I didn't realize WotG deals magic damage, I guess 'cause it's not blue or whatever. Won't WotG still knock you over if your shielding as long as they spam it enough? Maybe it only works if they run through your green bar
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:54 pm

How effective is the Darkhand for blocking various magics? I use it to parry, but almost never block because of the junk stability.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:58 pm

Dark hand is one of my favorite shields. Its the perfect light weight shield if you are not relying on stability, if you are(for turtling with rapiers ext) then i would go heater shield or one of the 3 crest shields. I rarely use anything else. I think the higher stability medium shields aren't worth their weight. I never use greatshields, ever.
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:59 pm

It protects you from damage, but based on protecting myself with a WotG spammer with a 2 handed Crystal Ring Shield, it won't be helpful whatsoever with its terrible stability. Even 3 quick WotGs will probably break it and knock you down.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:22 pm

Yeah, Dark Hand can be good particularly if you are doing spell blocking with it. A similar option is a magic warrior's round shield +10. It weighs 1.0, but has slightly better phys (85), magic (84.5), and stability (40) than a dark hand. Plus people usually assume you're a noob for using it and get sloppy. I agree WoG tends to eat stamina with the lower stability shields so I use these mostly for blocking mage type spells.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:47 pm

I'd really only need it to block maybe one WoG. Just started fast rolling, and I get caught by WoG pretty frequently. Figured maybe blocking it with the DH might be a viable option until I learn all the proper dodge windows. Love the DH.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:37 pm

Anchises wrote:huh, I didn't realize WotG deals magic damage, I guess 'cause it's not blue or whatever. Won't WotG still knock you over if your shielding as long as they spam it enough? Maybe it only works if they run through your green bar
    If you drop your shield inbetween each WoTG, it takes 10 WoTG's in a row to knock you over with the crest shield and 194 stamina.

I prefer the Red and White Round Shield for when i'm trying to look like a newbie.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 am