Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Share

    lorenzo110
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 139
    Reputation : -11
    Join date : 2012-01-20

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by lorenzo110 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:55 pm

    I must agree with Gaxe on this one. I am sl 710. I have played this game since the first day it came out and have never missed a day since. Sometimes even racking up 12 hrs of game play during certain days. I have faced every kind of opponent this game can possibly throw at me. Including many many bow users. I have yet to be killed by an archer toon highly skilled and unskilled. Period. You have to understand when you are facing a person as equally skilled and smart as you they are very adept at every counter imaginable to every weapon presented in this game. Now environment can play a great equilizer in a battle between archers and their enemies. But remember the quality of your opposition plays a major factor in determining the outcome of said battle. Those intelligent enough would never put themselves in a ridiculous situation where a guy with a bow could snipe them off an edge or gain a great advantage because of their location. Thats just noobish in my opin. But what do I know, only racking up over thousands of hours of game play only affords me so much experiance. And some here may say not enough to which I say....just my opin.
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 29
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by WyrmHero on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:16 pm

    I would like to duel you 2 guys. You need to experience the annoyance of dueling against a bow user. PSN SL 120.


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    avatar
    Gaxe
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 507
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2012-07-21
    Location : Steam: TrueDPS

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by Gaxe on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:26 pm

    WyrmHero wrote:I would like to duel you 2 guys. You need to experience the annoyance of dueling against a bow user. PSN SL 120.

    Ok duel me in the burg in that arena area we will see who wins, I have a sl125 char but haven't used him in ages.
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 29
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by WyrmHero on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:28 pm

    Cool what's your PSN?


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    avatar
    Gaxe
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 507
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2012-07-21
    Location : Steam: TrueDPS

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by Gaxe on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:30 pm

    WyrmHero wrote:Cool what's your PSN?

    Well the psn my 125 char is on is malletman123. You really think you can win with ONLY a bow in the burg arena?

    lorenzo110
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 139
    Reputation : -11
    Join date : 2012-01-20

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by lorenzo110 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:32 pm

    Why do people always feel the need to have to challenge to prove a point. Well as I said Wyrm I am 710 so your going to have to make your way up here if you feel the need to prove a point. And I believe in my countless hours of game play I have been annoyed by every type of character toon possible. Now you may be of the mind to dispute that thinking I may not have that experiance but that is your opinion. Not mine. If you would like to explain why an highly experianced fighter would not fair well against a bow user then please present your explaination by telling us how that would be possible. I myself simply come to a different conclusion then you do. And as a youtube submitting DKS player eloquently says...it is what it is. Just my opin
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 29
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by WyrmHero on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:32 pm

    Only??? Of course not. The bow is a secondary weapon, you'll see.


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    avatar
    Gaxe
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 507
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2012-07-21
    Location : Steam: TrueDPS

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by Gaxe on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:34 pm

    WyrmHero wrote:Only??? Of course not. The bow is a secondary weapon, you'll see.

    Well if your going to be using a diff weapon i'll probably get my *** kicked haha. I'm not terrible but i'm no pro. It would still be fun to fight you though ;D

    lorenzo110
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 139
    Reputation : -11
    Join date : 2012-01-20

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by lorenzo110 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:35 pm

    We are talking the bow as Primary weapon, Wrym. At least that is what I am taking from this conversation. Just my opin
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 29
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by WyrmHero on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:36 pm

    lorenzo110 wrote:Why do people always feel the need to have to challenge to prove a point. Well as I said Wyrm I am 710 so your going to have to make your way up here if you feel the need to prove a point. And I believe in my countless hours of game play I have been annoyed by every type of character toon possible. Now you may be of the mind to dispute that thinking I may not have that experiance but that is your opinion. Not mine. If you would like to explain why an highly experianced fighter would not fair well against a bow user then please present your explaination by telling us how that would be possible. I myself simply come to a different conclusion then you do. And as a youtube submitting DKS player eloquently says...it is what it is. Just my opin

    I have never made a SL 700, that's just too insane to me. My builds are all low levels sorry.


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    avatar
    Gaxe
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 507
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2012-07-21
    Location : Steam: TrueDPS

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by Gaxe on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:37 pm

    lorenzo110 wrote:We are talking the bow as Primary weapon, Wrym. At least that is what I am taking from this conversation. Just my opin

    That's what I was mainly talking about also but still a bow as a secondary? Why not a cross bow they'd be better just my opinion though. Someone MIGHT be able to surprise me with a bow but still they're not going to one shot me..I hope haha.
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 29
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by WyrmHero on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:39 pm

    Gaxe wrote:
    WyrmHero wrote:Only??? Of course not. The bow is a secondary weapon, you'll see.

    Well if your going to be using a diff weapon i'll probably get my *** kicked haha. I'm not terrible but i'm no pro. It would still be fun to fight you though ;D

    Add me PSN WyrmHero1945. I'm not a pro PvP fighter either but I have felt the annoyance of fighting with a good bow users and I just get my *** kicked. However, I know bow basics so maybe I can show you that annoyance as well. silly


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 29
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by WyrmHero on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:43 pm

    Gaxe wrote:
    lorenzo110 wrote:We are talking the bow as Primary weapon, Wrym. At least that is what I am taking from this conversation. Just my opin

    That's what I was mainly talking about also but still a bow as a secondary? Why not a cross bow they'd be better just my opinion though. Someone MIGHT be able to surprise me with a bow but still they're not going to one shot me..I hope haha.

    As a primary it's difficult but viable. Once I fought with a guy with Dragonslayer Bow as primary and a composite as secondary. He was surprisingly good and irritating (I lost all of them lol).


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    avatar
    Gaxe
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 507
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2012-07-21
    Location : Steam: TrueDPS

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by Gaxe on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:45 pm

    WyrmHero wrote:
    Gaxe wrote:
    WyrmHero wrote:Only??? Of course not. The bow is a secondary weapon, you'll see.

    Well if your going to be using a diff weapon i'll probably get my *** kicked haha. I'm not terrible but i'm no pro. It would still be fun to fight you though ;D

    Add me PSN WyrmHero1945. I'm not a pro PvP fighter either but I have felt the annoyance of fighting with a good bow users and I just get my *** kicked. However, I know bow basics so maybe I can show you that annoyance as well. silly

    Sent

    lorenzo110
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 139
    Reputation : -11
    Join date : 2012-01-20

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by lorenzo110 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:49 pm

    I would highly recommend to everyone to make a 710 build. If you really want to experaince a challenge and long drawn out battles where you rarely will ever get one shot killed. To me this is the level that pits your skills and smarts to the ultimate test. SL 120 and below just don't present that because battles mostly do not last that long at all. Plus, and again just my opin, you limit your characters growth and strengths by staying at a low SL. Sure you get the benefit of particular weapon max that can one shot others but wheres the fun in that? How about fighting where your weps cant one hit kill someone and it truly becomes survival of the fittest and smartest. Weapon maxs almost become obsolete up here becuase your already tanked character can take more punishment from them. Again I am of the opin that this game was meant to be played the way the makers intended it to be. They created 700 SLs for a reason. To me the fights up here are more fierce and prolonged because your not restricted by your cap.Thus more epic. Just my opin.
    avatar
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

    Posts : 4921
    Reputation : 90
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 21
    Location : Brazil

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by Carphil on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:04 pm

    lol? it would take ages for everyone do a sl 710, and they would have pretty much the same equipment and same magics and same everything. Its basicly who swings first wins.

    And, with Wyrm, bows are secondary weapons

    opponent is dying, he backs off, switch to bow and the end. much better than spam combustion


    _________________
    It may take a day or ten thousand years, but I will find her. This is a promise.

    I'm not the chosen one, I'm the one who chose to be more.

    Carphil_BR on PSN :bas:
    avatar
    zzombieboy
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 222
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2012-06-28
    Location : UK

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by zzombieboy on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:07 pm

    lorenzo110 wrote:I would highly recommend to everyone to make a 710 build. If you really want to experaince a challenge and long drawn out battles where you rarely will ever get one shot killed. To me this is the level that pits your skills and smarts to the ultimate test. SL 120 and below just don't present that because battles mostly do not last that long at all. Plus, and again just my opin, you limit your characters growth and strengths by staying at a low SL. Sure you get the benefit of particular weapon max that can one shot others but wheres the fun in that? How about fighting where your weps cant one hit kill someone and it truly becomes survival of the fittest and smartest. Weapon maxs almost become obsolete up here becuase your already tanked character can take more punishment from them. Again I am of the opin that this game was meant to be played the way the makers intended it to be. They created 700 SLs for a reason. To me the fights up here are more fierce and prolonged because your not restricted by your cap.Thus more epic. Just my opin.

    There isn't any point in going to 711 imo. Aside from End and Vit, its pointless to take a stat above 50. Even at soul level 120 there isn't much point in levelling resistance much either, unless for some reason you want high poison resist. If you want to experience what you have just said above you could quite easily have stopped around 370 if you were determined to level every stat, though 225 is also fine for pretty much anything you want to do.

    PvP against good players at 120 also doesn't consist of one-shotting people in my experience of the game. I can't remember the last time I was one-shot killed, even with Hornets ring (outside of the forest) at SL120. Duels at 120 require more skill than higher level duels due to limitations on gear and vitality. I took a toon to level 300 once and all I saw was GSoA and full giants or havels armour because there isn't any point in using anything else at that level. I don't see the skill involved in duels like that, or the fun.

    Anyway, I'm sure this is a discussion for another thread. On topic: I have had plenty of success on my Na'vi build which uses bow as primary, so I have to agree with Wyrm on this one.


    _________________
    YOLO, eh? Not in Lordran!
    :blue-orb: :bas:

    lorenzo110
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 139
    Reputation : -11
    Join date : 2012-01-20

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by lorenzo110 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:19 pm

    Sorry Zzombie but I would have to disagree with you on this. I have had several friends try archer toons. Very highly skilled players at that. And all of them have discovered against noob players they have great success against equal and higher skilled players they lost the majority of their fights. And the 700 sl I also disagree with you on that. Again several people who were maxed out went back down to play at 120 again only to come back up here because they said the same thing, too much 1 hit kill and glitching going on. At least up here you stand a better chance against them because of your stats being maxed. Again I guess its all a persons preference. But good luck with that anyway. just my opin
    avatar
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

    Posts : 4921
    Reputation : 90
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 21
    Location : Brazil

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by Carphil on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:27 pm

    ^I don't really understand once you can have the maximum health possible at soul level 120: 99 vit, mask of mother, tiny beings ring and Ring of FAP. a chaos bandits knife +5 with hornets backstab does around 1300 damage At least on sl 50 people


    _________________
    It may take a day or ten thousand years, but I will find her. This is a promise.

    I'm not the chosen one, I'm the one who chose to be more.

    Carphil_BR on PSN :bas:
    avatar
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1523
    Reputation : 69
    Join date : 2012-05-05
    Location : Tama

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by Rifter7 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:37 pm

    WyrmHero wrote:
    Gaxe wrote:
    lorenzo110 wrote:We are talking the bow as Primary weapon, Wrym. At least that is what I am taking from this conversation. Just my opin

    That's what I was mainly talking about also but still a bow as a secondary? Why not a cross bow they'd be better just my opinion though. Someone MIGHT be able to surprise me with a bow but still they're not going to one shot me..I hope haha.

    As a primary it's difficult but viable. Once I fought with a guy with Dragonslayer Bow as primary and a composite as secondary. He was surprisingly good and irritating (I lost all of them lol).

    YO was that guy japanese? i fought him a couple of days ago in the burg he was pretty decent!

    i beat him but i didn't fight conventionally by any means.

    he'd take off an setup his dsb with his back in the corner and aim at me manually or locked on depending on the situation. i was running around unlocked with my shield up trying to get in close because he'd try planting a shot on me when i got in range and then roll out. dude would swap to the little composite bow when he was taking off to setup again and pluck shots while he did, but i scared him off from doing that when i pulled my composite out to so he stuck with the dsb.

    lorenzo110
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 139
    Reputation : -11
    Join date : 2012-01-20

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by lorenzo110 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:48 pm

    You do realise Carp, dark moon blade and Sunlight blade damage buffs are way higher then that. More then almost 1700 or more on Great Demon Axe alone? And thats without hornets ring my friend. And if your apt to test this using the glitch on an artorias or stone great sword the amount of damage sustained is redonkulous. I detest glitchers with a passion so I test these tricks off line to see the critical damage sustained when facing one so I know what I'm up against my friend. Plus yes you can max out your stam and hp but really how many people do that when created specified builds at 120. Lets see...not many. Unfortunately this is the nature of the game we love to play so much. Some love taking advantage of broken game mechanics because they have an aversion to loosing. And not to be off topic bows are good off handed but not well against much highly skilled smarter players. I have seen it tested by very skilled players and they are successful against noob type fighters but not much against your above average player. Just my opin.
    avatar
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

    Posts : 4921
    Reputation : 90
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 21
    Location : Brazil

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by Carphil on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:56 pm



    _________________
    It may take a day or ten thousand years, but I will find her. This is a promise.

    I'm not the chosen one, I'm the one who chose to be more.

    Carphil_BR on PSN :bas:
    avatar
    zzombieboy
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 222
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2012-06-28
    Location : UK

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by zzombieboy on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:59 pm

    lorenzo110 wrote:You do realise Carp, dark moon blade and Sunlight blade damage buffs are way higher then that. More then almost 1700 or more on Great Demon Axe alone? And thats without hornets ring my friend. And if your apt to test this using the glitch on an artorias or stone great sword the amount of damage sustained is redonkulous. I detest glitchers with a passion so I test these tricks off line to see the critical damage sustained when facing one so I know what I'm up against my friend. Plus yes you can max out your stam and hp but really how many people do that when created specified builds at 120. Lets see...not many. Unfortunately this is the nature of the game we love to play so much. Some love taking advantage of broken game mechanics because they have an aversion to loosing. And not to be off topic bows are good off handed but not well against much highly skilled smarter players. I have seen it tested by very skilled players and they are successful against noob type fighters but not much against your above average player. Just my opin.

    I think what he is saying is that what you are suggesting doesn't make sense. Max Vit is max Vit, whether it's at level 120 or level 710. A weapon that does 2000 damage with a hornet riposte through Giants armour is going to do more or less the same damage at level 120 or 710. Therefore you could still be killed with one hit at max level with max vit, just as easily as you could at level 120 with max vit (masks and rings aside, though no weapon can one shot you with the maximum possible vitality as far as im aware).


    _________________
    YOLO, eh? Not in Lordran!
    :blue-orb: :bas:
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 29
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by WyrmHero on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:16 pm

    Yes, that's because defense caps at around 170 and Vit at around 2000. Even increasing resistance is a waste of points if you have 99 humanity.


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 29
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by WyrmHero on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:24 pm

    On topic. I played with Gaxe and did some damage tests with my pure faith SL 120 build. Here's what I got.

    20 Str / 16 Dex / 50 Faith

    Darkmoon Bow: 151 physical + 297 magical = 450 total AR
    Damage: 161 with moonlight arrow.

    Occult Composite Bow: 117 physical + 358 magical = 476 total AR
    Damage: 209 with moonlight arrows

    Damage difference: 48

    Divine damage was 200, almost the same as occult. This was tested on a human player. Damage difference is significant considering the low damage of arrows. It's like throwing rapiers!


    Last edited by WyrmHero on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant

    Sponsored content

    Re: Is the Darkmoon Bow any good?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:00 am