New player, first play through......

Matthus

New player, first play through......

Post by Matthus on Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:32 pm

Hey guys,

Well basically this is my first play through of Dark Soul's and so far I am really enjoying how infuriating it is. But having not played Demon Soul's I'm not sure what to expect or how to gauge my damage/migation properly to see if I should farm X weapon or be wearing Y armour.

So far I have just finished Blighttown and rang the second bell. I am a strength based Warrior with about 24 Strength. I'm using a +3 Black Knight Sword and wearing the Stone Set armour along with a +5 Knight Shield.

Some bosses are pretty easy for me, I do impressive damage and recently killed Quelaag without even losing more that 10% health. But Its very random, I thought with decent VIT and END (Both at 20) and the Stone Set I could take a few hits no problem but sometimes I still get 3 shotted and staggered even though I am using the Wolf's Ring.

Should I be focusin on any weapons in perticular at this stage or armour? As i have yet to craft any weapons and still sitting on Moonlight Butterfly Soul and Quelaag's Soul with no idea what weapon to build that would be better than my BKS.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Re: New player, first play through......

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:34 pm

Sounds like you're doing pretty awesome for playthrough 1.

Keep up the good work! king

siegfried78
    Casual
    Casual

Post by siegfried78 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:23 pm

1. These boss souls are not very useful I would just use them for souls unless you want to have their custom weapons just for collecting all weapons sake.

2. The stone set is fine but the giant set you can get later in the game will be better imo due to higher phys resistance. Big point, make sure you get the dark wood grain ring and the havels ring or ring of favor and protection if you want to wear heavy armor effectively. look these up on the wiki for details.

3. For first playthrough a fire or lightning weapon is good but if you plan to play through multiple games with the same character I would upgrade your weapon to +15 standard weapon. It probably would be best to choose the weapon most suited to your playstyle but MAKE SURE IT HAS GOOD SCALING FOR STR IF YOU STAY WITH STR OR DEX IF YOU DECIDE YOU WANT TO TRANSITION TO A DEX BUILD. A standard +15 weapon will be able to be buffed in subsequent ng plus.

4. points I would max them at 40-50 str depending on build, 40 endurance (the stamina max), and vitality 40+. at this point you could pump into sorcery or faith for buffing your weapons or more vit str and end for pure warrior.

finally sounds like your doing a good job. have fun!!!
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:19 pm

You could easily beat the whole game with the Black Knight Sword if you wanted to (well, the game can be beaten with any weapon! but for a first playthrough, the BKS is a great weapon). So I'd recommend you try out everything you want, and keep the BKS to fall back on if things get tough (upgrade it to +5 as soon as you can).

Armor is pretty much arbitrary--it isn't a big concern. Poise is good, but be aware that no matter how much you have some attacks will stagger you (they're more like kicks than attacks, I think, which is why they ignore your poise). Other than poise, there are areas of the game where you'll want to have decent curse resistance. Other than that, wear whatever you want!

About the boss souls: no offense siegfried, but I wouldn't recommend using them for souls. You get plenty of souls from mobs and bosses, no need to waste the solid boss souls you get once per playthrough when you can put them to better use. Save them, and when you can, craft boss weapons with them.

For stats: if you're not going to use spells in this playthrough, then you can focus on Vit, End, Str, and Dex. You should stop Vit at 40-50, End at 40 (or more, if you want more equip weight, but be aware that the stamina bar is capped at 40 End), Str and Dex at 40 (unless you want to wield weapons that require more Str 1-handed--be aware that wielding a weapon 2-handed multiplies your Str by 1.5x, so you can reduce the equip requirements this way). I'd recommend focusing on the regular upgrade path (blacksmith Andre in the Parish) and taking advantage of high Str and Dex stats.

I hope I didn't spoil too much! glhf

Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:51 pm

Lots of good advice above happy, I am about as fresh as one can be for dark souls, so I can't really offer you any advice.

But what I can do is welcome you to the forums, I hope you enjoy your time here happy.

When discussing things, always strive to be as friendly and understanding as possible. When offensive, argumentative, or vague dialogues are used, it often causes the other readers to receive negative emotions from the post, which can create a toxic thread. If we all strive to be friendly and understanding, then we can avoid hurting peoples feelings happy.
    siegfried78
    Casual
    Casual

Post by siegfried78 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:06 pm

BLA1NE wrote:

About the boss souls: no offense siegfried, but I wouldn't recommend using them for souls. You get plenty of souls from mobs and bosses, no need to waste the solid boss souls you get once per playthrough when you can put them to better use. Save them, and when you can, craft boss weapons with them.

None taken Blaine, I'm merely saying, boss weapons aren't that great imo, they are more a novelty. With some exceptions like GSoA I like. They are cool, don't get me wrong, just not all that effective.
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:17 pm

I agree that they're not the most effective. But I think they're all interesting and fun weapons to use, so that makes them worth making. Dark Souls is so much more about skill than it is about gear, so might as well use what's fun and interesting and not worry too much about what's the most effective. winking

Regular
    Regular

Post by shagtheturtle on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:49 pm

I am personally a huge fan of the fury sword, especially at lower sl's. For a long time it was the only weapon I would use once I got to the blacksmith in anor londo.

Casual
    Casual

Post by sean1230 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:58 pm

My first playthrough went so easy for me...i went high dexterity with ny uchigatana and high intelligence which makes bosses much easier...in my opinion a high dexterity with painting guardian sword is beasf it does like 345 damage when buffed and swings about 6 swings in under 3 seconds...vut i would defly go with high dex...And i also never played demon souls..so i was a little lost at first

Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:01 pm

Ummm, did everyone forget the chaos blade - best unbuffed katana therefore it is best dex build kat - siegfried - don't give advice on eating boss souls silly It ruins his uniqueness Shrug

For one slick avatar visit this thread
    http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t8933-picture-request-thread
    shagtheturtle
    Regular
    Regular

Post by shagtheturtle on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:30 pm

Actually regarding the chaos blade, on my first playthrough I made it, si
    nce I didn't bother looking at the wiki for help on weapons. Occasionally I will make it still, but I just prefer the fury sword for looks and moveset. The 2h r1 combo is crazy fast!

rand

Post by rand on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:51 pm

BLA1NE wrote:I agree that they're not the most effective. But I think they're all interesting and fun weapons to use, so that makes them worth making. Dark Souls is so much more about skill than it is about gear, so might as well use what's fun and interesting and not worry too much about what's the most effective. winking

So true. Which is why I die so very very often. Gear games are easy; this one is rewarding.
    joeclone
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by joeclone on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:15 pm

use queskags soul and make the fury sword. i just made it last night and am kicking myself in the *** for not making it sooner. it's great.

aside from that you seem to be doing fine. just don't waste points on resistance silly

Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by joeclone on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:16 pm

sean1230 wrote:My first playthrough went so easy for me...i went high dexterity with ny uchigatana and high intelligence which makes bosses much easier...in my opinion a high dexterity with painting guardian sword is beasf it does like 345 damage when buffed and swings about 6 swings in under 3 seconds...vut i would defly go with high dex...And i also never played demon souls..so i was a little lost at first

i gotta find this fracking sword man. sounds like i will like it. my mage has one not not my wand sad

Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Baiulus on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:17 am

Pfft.
    Not that effective.
    I want to see you guys run into my Dargon Slayer Spear in a dark alley. :x

If you've killed me recently, please boast in the same manner.

Raikan007
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Raikan007 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:42 am

1) make sure that you finish Anor Londo before going through Great Hollow and Ash Lake
    2) BKS is the sword I used for most of my fist playthrough once I got it, before that was a Divine Uchigatana even though I was STR/DEX build and did not know about weapon scaling and the different upgrade paths etc.. if you increase your Intellegence a bit and attunement once you will receive and extra slot and up to 15 INT will allow you to use Great Magic Weapon/Great Magic Shield and a few other cool spells..

3) get the pyro flame and upgrade it and use it as an alternative to your main hand weapon, most bosses are weak to fire and gives you a different approach in dealing with enemies as you progress and does not require any stats to use any of the spells which is a bonus! Dex is a good idea to increase your casting time though!

4) armour depends on what portion of the game you are playing, which bosses you take on etc.. you dont need poise to be honest, try and dodge attacks or use a shield, parry/riposte! For eg: you should have used armour that gave you the most FIRE defence when taking on Chaos Witch and so on and so forth.. not going to mention anyhting else, but you will quickly learn happy Dont waste a ring slot using the Wolf ring.. its not that great, alot of armour can give you that poise.. are you using double handed BKS or one handed? Is that the Black Knight Shield you have? or the Knight Shield on the corpse in the Berg past he Balder knight with his back to you?

Dont waste upgrades on that shield to much.. I got it up to Magic +5 and realised that it was crap ;P lol! check for the Stability number, the highest is 88 and the higher that stat is the better it is in absorbing incoming blows which lessens stamina loss happy Greatshields you cannot parry with, either you tank behind a Greatshield and then smash with a weapon that scales with STR or practice parry/riposte with a normal shield

Do you know about the DragonCrest shield at all? it is very simple to get right at the start of the game and is a good shield to have? Have you been to the Darkroot Garden yet?

Once you play on and on and finish the game you will worry more about which combination of armour looks the coolest more so than what it provides silly but for now I suggest having a good physical defence for most parts and at least a mid roll capability

Do you know about the Embers and upgrading? I suggest reading up about this via the wiki and making sure you understand it

keep the Boss Souls mate.. I got really pissed off somewhere where you will be going shortly (sort of shortly) and used them all to try and upgrade my stats.. i got one stat point from all of that.. was bummed silly

I suggest maybe upgrading to the fury sword which does fire damage and good for low level halfway stage!

PM me if you need anymore assistance

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:13 am