Is Demon Souls worth getting after Dark Souls?

Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Re: Is Demon Souls worth getting after Dark Souls?

Post by Tolvo on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:29 pm

Also, US still have online servers. I have the US version and I've managed some PvP and Co-Op, so don't worry on that end so far.
    cleric1002

Post by cleric1002 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:43 am

I just want to add : My brother and I played co-op on both demon souls and dark souls. In Dark Souls , you basically play only small areas like before the boss areas or maybe I am wrong but Demon Souls co-op feels so much longer and it feels that we can connect much easier - if that is what youy like about games, playing with your buddy, since there is no "Lobby" for friends. Any comments ?
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:42 am

well cleric the simple answer to that is the levels in general are much longer in demon's souls. The only levels really that come close to the length of demon's ones are anor londo and blighttown from the proper entrance, and even then i'd say they're still smaller than most of the shorter levels.

Though there is the obvious exception to the rule in 1-2, thats one really short level

in terms of being easier to connect, the demon's souls online is server based, not P2P. due to this, connections to people will be easier to both attain and maintain, and lag will be less of a factor than in dark souls.

Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    BackstabFisherman
    Regular
    Regular

Post by BackstabFisherman on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:37 pm

Pros: better invasion system, coop. They don't patch the duping glitches which allow people to make a ton of builds quickly. Don't have to worry about invading someone much higher level than you.

Cons:? I think Demon's Souls is a better game all-round.

Combat is more deadly in Demon's Souls just do to a ton of damage bonuses you get for character tendency, and other stuff, basically pure black = more damage, less health when a phantom. Then you can combine that for extra damage with a foes ring, more damage while you are a black phantom.

Between lower health bars, due to people being phantoms, and higher damage capabilities, PVP fights end a whole lot quicker in this game, and making just 1 mistake could mean you get 1hko'd and the fight is over. A lot of things were 1hko no matter what in PVP, like getting hit with firestorm by a TOB mage. Loved owning gankers with a TOB mage using a storm ruler. Knock them down and firestorm them all on wake up for 1hko. Its possible to roll out of it, but its also possible to be in a spot where you can't. If the storm ruler mage has you pinned in a corner, and knocked down, you're done.

My favorite levels/sl to invade:

4-1 @ SL 10-20 then SL 120
    1-3 @ SL 30-50
    1-4 @ SL 60-80

I liked low level trolling, invading 4-1 with a SL 6 using a baby's nail +5 and hit noobs with plague, lol!! That was fun during the earlier life of Demon's Souls but I probably wouldn't try that now that everyone is using Dragon +5 on their low level toons.
    defacto
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by defacto on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:55 am

Old King Gallat (SP) the special boss in 1-1 is probably harder than anything in Dark Souls.

The Black Phantoms that appear are 10x harder than the ones in Dark Souls. Honestly the BPs in Dark Souls are a joke.

Christoph
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Christoph on Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:06 am

Well, you can get it, but you could be disappointed since you already played a souls game...
    I myself were disappointed by the bosses since you can easily kill the most of them with thief ring and poison cloud and the rest can't reach a few spots of the level, giving you a good sniping position. Granted, you won't be able to kill them the first time you meet them because you need to figure out how they work. The first boss in the game rocks^^
    The normal enemies are thougher than the DKS ones at first, but get easier while you play if you aim for white tendency and are simply a joke after you can soul suck in the next playthrough (good ending oc).
    The black phantoms are a lot stronger than in DKS, there is no way around it, they are plain awesome and kick ***.
    Online mode is better at some points (no cheap BS strategies) and sucks at other points (literally, soul suck LOWERS YOUR LEVEL).
    The greatest difference are items: In DS, healing costs souls, but is only limited by your inventory. Also, you can refresh your castings with buyable items, making the levels a lot more easier than the ones in DKS. In DKS you get a few free healing bottels everytime you rest and you need to farm additional healings.
    The leveldesign is better in DS because it's linear and you can only see the spots the developers want you to see. Also, you get back to your main base (nexus) in DS but you stay in place in DKS.

All in all: You mainly know what's coming from DKS and in the end the way you play DS decides the fun you have.

Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:52 am

Demon's Souls is IMHO by far and away the best game in the Souls series, and one of, if not the, best vid-games that I have played in my 20 odd years of gaming. If you've got a PS3, or at the very least access to a PS3, then it would be a crime not to give it a go, as you will be denying yourself one of the greatest gaming experiences of all time! Not that I'm a DS fanboy mind! :roll:

That said, be warned having just returned back to DS after spending the last year and a bit playing DkS, I have found that I was able to simply breeze through the opening stages of the game, doing things that I could only dream of during my original runs, which would appear to be a pretty good indicator that DkS is a much harder game, and so if you're a reasonably good DkS player you may find DS to be less of a challenge. But don't let this put you off, I urge, nay implore you to buy DS if only to experience the thrills and chills of The Tower of Latria at night, on your own, with the lights turned off and the sound turned up just enough to hear every minute sound. :affraid: I can guarantee that if you go into this level blind by the end of it you'll be needing a change of undies! big grin
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:20 pm

Just bought this game yesterday, to be honest I find it to be a bit more of a challenge then Dark Souls. Even then the bosses haven't really been that challenging though, I've already beaten Phalanx and the Tower Knight on my first try without even looking at the wiki.

Hopefully some of the other bosses are going to present more of a challenge, I'm especially looking forward to my battle with the Penetrator.big grin

Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:51 pm

i hope you all enjoy the boss of 3-2.

the feeling when you finally....

Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:21 pm

GrinTwist wrote:Just bought this game yesterday, to be honest I find it to be a bit more of a challenge then Dark Souls.

Hopefully some of the other bosses are going to present more of a challenge, I'm especially looking forward to my battle with the Penetrator.big grin

Lol I also just bought the game this week , it is more challenging than DKS. I have to say though , there is pretty huge gap between save points in this game. Almost to the point that it is frustrating. Aside from that I am enjoying the game.

Also Grin Lolz at the Penetrator pun. You dirty girl winking.
    king leonidas
    Casual
    Casual

Post by king leonidas on Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:20 pm

and also demons souls is ps3 only :mask-averice:
    king leonidas
    Casual
    Casual

Post by king leonidas on Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:21 pm

demons souls imo is tougher then dark souls

Xerxes: But I am a generous god. I can make you rich beyond all measure. I will make you warlord of all Greece. You will carry my battle standard to the heart of Europa. Your Athenian rivals will kneel at your feet if you will but kneel at mine.
    King Leonidas: You are generous as you are divine, O king of kings. Such an offer only a madman would refuse. But the, uh, the idea of kneeling, it's- You see, slaughtering all those men of yours has, uh, well it's left a nasty cramp in my leg, so kneeling will be hard for me.

Xerxes: You Greeks take pride in your logic. I suggest you employ it. Consider the beautiful land you so vigorously defend. Picture it reduced to ash at my whim! Consider the fate of your women!
    Spartan King Leonidas: Clearly you don't know our women! I might as well have marched them up here, judging by what I've seen.
    Dogwelder
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Dogwelder on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:34 pm

I definitely found DES more challenging than DKS, but then a big part of the reason for that is because I played DES first. If you've played one Souls game then you're definitely better prepared for the next one than if you were going in blind.

As for the original question: yes, DES is absolutely worth getting after DKS. It's an amazing game.

Casual
    Casual

Post by The Wandering Knight on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:05 pm

best decision I made!

raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:29 am

if you can put up with OLD graphics and some pretty mild glitches then YES the payoffs are amasing, you get to play magic as it was spoced to be! if not then NO........yeah, that would suck ahahahaa

Casual
    Casual

Post by The Wandering Knight on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:43 am

raecor14 wrote:if you can put up with OLD graphics and some pretty mild glitches then YES the payoffs are amasing, you get to play magic as it was spoced to be! if not then NO........yeah, that would suck ahahahaa
    the graphics arent that much different really. its just the lack of sunlight doesnt really show off the lighting engine like it does in dark souls.

raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:17 pm

its not as pretty, and im fine with that, but i know some people cant stand it so fair warning is nice

Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elite Knight on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:46 am

Tristan wrote:
    Bcc17 wrote:
    Azran wrote:
    PaPaSmVrf wrote:If it has From Software on the box, buy it!

Uh...

Metal Wolf Chaos?

Best. Game. Ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEIi3X9NCMU

I lol'd

I love those guys. I'm watching their Let's Play of Way Of The Samurai 4 right now. Their Demon's Souls video is actually the funniest to me.

Speaking of which, I myself have been wanting to play Demon's Souls since playing Dark Souls. The problem, however, is that I don't own a PS3 sad

Still, it looks worth the play if Dark Souls is any indication of its quality. Someday, I shall add Demon's Souls to my repertoire of games I've beaten. Hurrah

Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight on Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:04 pm

It was worth getting release day really.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:04 pm