Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Anybody know anything about cars?

Noob-of-Artorias
    Noob-of-Artorias
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Anybody know anything about cars? Empty Anybody know anything about cars?

Post by Noob-of-Artorias Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:32 am

My 1991 Toyota Camry runs fine, but I've run into a serious problem, she won't pass smog.

I live in California, where the smog standards are stupid, almost hilarious, and every other year, I got her to pass, but this year, no dice.

I've taken her to a couple of mechanics, and they all keep saying the same thing, it's the Catalytic Converter.

Problem is, the repair at most places will cost between $800 - $900, and honestly the car just isn't even worth that kind of repair.

Does anybody know a good autoparts website, or perhaps a way to fix a catalytic converter? I'm getting kinda desperate here...
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Anybody know anything about cars? Empty Re: Anybody know anything about cars?

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:51 am

Didn't know it was that strict out in Cali.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:25 am

To put it in simple terms pendant, I can't buy ANYTHING unless it's CA-legal. From knives to motorcycles to cars Prostration
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:10 am

California is actually the standard for the nation for cars. You see advertisements for vehicles even in NY that will says "meets CA emission standards" to sell more to environmentally conscious persons.

Anyway, Noob......I'm no expert but hung around enough mechanics most of my life to help you on this one. The converter is like an encased honeycomb and is sealed tight, meaning there's no getting in and replacing anything/fixing it. Also, the cost is high because there's some pretty expensive materials in there to give it its mojo. It's always a "replace" part when it goes and it is always pricey. Your best bet for a cheap NEW one would be eBay or just google search. If you see a retailer you're not familiar with just google that company with the word "complaints" or something similar to make sure they're reputable. In NY sometimes a good junk yard is an option for a used part. Maybe someone wrecked their car and has a pristine converter you can get cheap. That can be a little riskier since there's no warranty a lot of times etc. but can save you a lot of cash sometimes. Again though, there won't be a "cheap" replacement I would bet.

EDIT: I like fun facts and didn't add this one but probably will make you understand the cost association better with this part. To work their magic most use a significant amount of platinum.
    deadagain
    deadagain
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by deadagain Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:29 am

I know something about cars, I fix them for a living. Is your check engine light on? If so what codes are stored in the control module? Many converters get replaced when there is nothing wrong with them. There are many things that would cause a tech to condemn a converter when the problem is else where. Engine vacum leaks will converter codes and the leak does not have to be large. Fouled spark plugs will do the same. Check and see if California allows for emission waivers. Converters are expensiveand the mark up is crazy so a lot of techs will fix the problem and sell u a converter anyway. I believe your car only has 1 O2 sensor if its a 4 cylinder. That may be bad as well.
    Ask about a waiver and Shop around. Eventually you will find an honest shop. Explain your money situation and they will try to work with you. In this economy something is better than nothing. If you have any questions u can pm me. Hope this helps.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm