Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
GrinTwist
dianaduh
RandelOolacile
TheBigLebowski
Doelker
Ghadis_God
Gazman0169
siegfried78
12 posters

Attention to detail.

siegfried78
    siegfried78
    Casual
    Casual

Attention to detail. Empty Attention to detail.

Post by siegfried78 Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:19 pm

The thing I love most about Dark Souls is the attention to detail. The first time the Taurus demon jumped up onto the tower I was in shock: I was supposed to be safe up there = )
    When the ceaseless discharge over reaches to attack you with one hand, and knocking his hand a few times instakills him because he falls off into lava. These sort of touches really make this a great game. Here are the ones I recall most, but I wanted to know the kinds of details you remember most.

1. Taurus Demon's ability to jump onto tower.
    2. Ceaseless discharge's one handing over reach which can result in his instadeath.
    3. The piles of dead bodies laying in muck at the bottom of new londo. (very good art design)
    4. exploding pillars in Ornstein and Smough fight.
    5. cutting of tails of various boss to create weapons.
    6. computer opponents parry and riposte!!! wow. that was a real shock.
    7. extreme beauty and complexity of undead burg, undead parish, painted world of ariamis. (in the painted world especially when you climb to the highest points in the round tower and are fighting on these tiny steps, awesomeness.)
    8. the vertical dimension of the catacombs. I truly felt like i was descending towards the gates of hell going lower and lower and deeper with each layer of the area.
    Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Attention to detail. Empty Re: Attention to detail.

Post by Gazman0169 Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:55 pm

For me it was when I first ventured into the Moonpit (Butterfly Forest), and stood in awe at my reflection in one of the puddles. I was like :cyclops:, it's a perfect reflection of what I was wearing!

Also, coming out of the Moonpit, and looking up to see the Moonlight Butterfly Boss perched high above was another memorable moment for me. big grin
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:59 pm

I love how you can look up close at any weapon and see scratches and flaws, rust and bloodstains, as if everything you use has a history. Same with armor, look close enough and nothing is new or shiny, it's all been used and rusted.
    Doelker
    Doelker
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Doelker Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:28 pm

What about when you reach Anor Londo for the first time... Such a gorgeous view.
    Or at Sen's at the very top where the firebomber golem is. You can take a look to the blocked entrance to Anor Londo and the wall surrounding the city.

The bugs in the wall at the first bonfire in the catacombs... It adds a creepier feeling to it.
    siegfried78
    siegfried78
    Casual
    Casual

Post by siegfried78 Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:47 pm

Speaking of Sen's, it also has the verticle dimension thing going for it like the catacombs. I remember many times falling on the many bridges there and ending up facing the titanite demons in flooded area. The traps in that area was a nice touch also, kind of like living an indiana jones film (rolling giant balls and darts ie "raiders", giant slicey blades ie "last crusades").

I never noticed the blocked anor londo entrance from Sens, I will have to check that out.

@Ghadis_God, perfect example, love it. Not to mention they all have unique move sets to fit your play style. Imagine the pain to program this game.
    TheBigLebowski
    TheBigLebowski
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by TheBigLebowski Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:55 pm

Well it's a great game, still I prefer the Demon's Souls atmosphere more. I never experienced the Tower of Latria feel ever in Dark Souls. But tastes differ ofcourse.

But I agree on the other points you make.
    RandelOolacile
    RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RandelOolacile Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:14 am

The tower of latria is indeed in a league of its own!

The attention that the designers took in the architecture in general is astounding. I still look up from the first bonfire in the upper burg and awe at the bridge you must negotiate with the hellkite right in front of you!
    dianaduh
    dianaduh
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by dianaduh Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:28 am

6.1 enemies will only parry/riposte when they are in a especific position that their weapon is in front of them
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:35 am

I love the surroundings and atmosphere of Kiln of the First Flame, to me whenever I go there I feel like I'm taken away from the dark atmosphere of Lordran and given somewhat of an otherworldly feel to Kiln.

I also love that I can go over to the graveyard and look at blighttown from up above.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:01 am

I've always had a great amazement for this detail, but I was REALLY amazed when I finally looked up in Blighttown, and I was like "this is freaking connected! What the heck?!" I always assumed blighttown was just put off to the side down below, and for SOME reason, it had a bell underground, when, in reality, Blight-town was just buried by some landslide, imo.

From then on, I've had a great respect to FROM on how they somehow got every map to connect in ways that makes sense. It all does. The 3D modeling shows that everthing is connected, save the Asylum.
    Pratix
    Pratix
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pratix Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:03 am

The Asylum is connect, by spirit... winking ..... snark snark
    White Mamba
    White Mamba
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by White Mamba Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:07 am

The Asulym Demon also has a jump attack if you sit up on that ledge. I was waiting on the ledge, reading a text and it jumped/smashed the ledge/killed me. Couldn't believe it
    Raikan007
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Raikan007 Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:12 am

The suns rays when coming out from defeating the Taurus Demon and chatting to Knight Solaire, such an awesome view into the clouds...

Anor Londo for the first time when the winged demons drop you off! Magic

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:44 am