is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demon souls

    Share
    avatar
    sean1230
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 74
    Reputation : -2
    Join date : 2012-07-14
    Age : 28
    Location : Philadelphia, PA

    is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demon souls

    Post by sean1230 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:38 am

    I love dark souls on xbox and have beat it every way possible and have never played demon souls so is it worth it...
    avatar
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

    Posts : 11501
    Reputation : 327
    Join date : 2012-04-18
    Age : 28
    Location : WPB, Florida

    Re: is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demon souls

    Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:52 am

    I'll wait for the PS4 and hope that they make Demon's Souls backwards compatible.

    avatar
    Bcc17
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 577
    Reputation : 19
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Age : 22
    Location : Buffalo, NY

    Re: is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demon souls

    Post by Bcc17 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:15 pm

    I think it's worth it. Demon's Souls is a pretty damn good game.


    _________________
    avatar
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

    Posts : 1125
    Reputation : 240
    Join date : 2012-01-16

    Re: is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demon souls

    Post by ublug on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:08 pm

    I would say yes, but I might be biased considering the countless hours I've spent on the game. Best game of this generation for me.

    There's also the possibility of buying a used ps3 and demons souls, then sell it on after you have had your fun. This should make the loss minimal if you are only interested in that game, although buying used consoles can be a gamble.
    avatar
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 965
    Reputation : 52
    Join date : 2012-04-25

    Re: is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demon souls

    Post by Azran on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:29 pm

    There are some great franchises, apart from Demon's Souls, in PS3.

    But would it be worth it just for that title? Yes, it would. Then you could get MGS and Uncharted. silly


    _________________
    PSN: Azran-

    Proper story’s supposed to start at the beginning. Ain’t so simple with this one. Now here’s a kid whose whole world got all twisted, leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky.
    avatar
    StarbrightDS
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 23
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2012-06-29
    Age : 27
    Location : USA

    Re: is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demon souls

    Post by StarbrightDS on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:14 am

    Okay, I'll be the odd one out here and say "No!"

    First off, Demon's Souls is an amazing game. I absolutely love and adore this game. But is it really worth spending like $250 on a PS3 system and then another $20-$30 on the game. No!

    Unless you can get the console for like $100 or less off of Ebay, I'd suggest you don't bother with it now.

    Take into consideration what else you will do with it though. If there are other exclusives you are looking at, "God of War", "Metal Gear", "Uncharted", and so fourth that you are also considering, then by all means go for it! And if you don't have a Blu-Ray player then this could very well be the choice for you. But I wouldn't buy a console for any single game.


    _________________
    Support Shield Maiden!
    Let's Play Demon's Souls: Shield Only!
    Status: In-progress

    Let's Play Dark Souls: SL 1!
    Status: Not started
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demon souls

    Post by Serious_Much on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:47 pm

    It's not worth buying a console for one game. It never is.

    Also while it's a good game and I have fun with it, I completely accept that it's a less polished dark souls. It's the first game in the series that innovates so much, and you can tell very much it is. It's a good game, but it's not so special as to demand purchase of a console for it.


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    siegfried78
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 35
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2012-07-16

    Re: is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demon souls

    Post by siegfried78 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:11 pm

    I would say yes, I bought my ps3 for red dead redemption and loved it. Thats the only game I had on it for a while. Now I have dark souls on it also and love it as well, go for it with one reservation... since the servers are down, are you still going to be able to enjoy demon souls as a single player game? Any thats played demon souls can you answer this please for me?
    avatar
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 965
    Reputation : 52
    Join date : 2012-04-25

    Re: is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demon souls

    Post by Azran on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:12 pm

    The servers aren't down, pal. They are up indefinitely, as long as people show interest in the game.


    _________________
    PSN: Azran-

    Proper story’s supposed to start at the beginning. Ain’t so simple with this one. Now here’s a kid whose whole world got all twisted, leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky.
    avatar
    siegfried78
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 35
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2012-07-16

    Re: is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demon souls

    Post by siegfried78 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:20 pm

    Thanks Azran,

    I had seen many many posts saying they were shutting down but I didn't realize they had changed their minds. http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/5/25/3043759/demons-souls-may-31st-server-shutdown-canceled

    Lets just say they did shut them down however, would you still recommend the game?
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demon souls

    Post by Serious_Much on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:24 pm

    I'd still recommend the game, the PvE in it is always good. I always view the online as merely supplementary. If I don't enjoy the main part of the game then I don't see the point in playing it anymore.

    Again though, don't buy a £200 console for one game though :|


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4689
    Reputation : 257
    Join date : 2012-01-26

    Re: is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demon souls

    Post by Rynn on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:56 pm

    No. No game is worth that, no matter how good.
    However, if you plan to purchase other PS3 exclusives, or you just want the free online play of the system, PS3 is honestly a better investment then the X-box 360 over time. It is however not worth just 1 game.
    avatar
    siegfried78
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 35
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2012-07-16

    Re: is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demon souls

    Post by siegfried78 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:10 pm

    Rynn wrote:No. No game is worth that, no matter how good.
    However, if you plan to purchase other PS3 exclusives, or you just want the free online play of the system, PS3 is honestly a better investment then the X-box 360 over time. It is however not worth just 1 game.

    To be the devils advocate on this, one point to add. If you did buy the ps3 and the game you would spend $268, however if you didn't and your like me you will want to get out and do things so you will spend $240.

    $15 x (3 x weeks) x 4 weeks=$180 in eating out in a month.
    $20 x 3 times a month for movie tickets for you and one more person =$60
    Total=$240

    Ps3 plus demon souls and staying home=$268 on amazon. so $28 dollar difference.

    Just a point to consider if you can't resist the call = )
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demon souls

    Post by Serious_Much on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:48 pm

    siegfried78 wrote:
    Rynn wrote:No. No game is worth that, no matter how good.
    However, if you plan to purchase other PS3 exclusives, or you just want the free online play of the system, PS3 is honestly a better investment then the X-box 360 over time. It is however not worth just 1 game.

    To be the devils advocate on this, one point to add. If you did buy the ps3 and the game you would spend $268, however if you didn't and your like me you will want to get out and do things so you will spend $240.

    $15 x (3 x weeks) x 4 weeks=$180 in eating out in a month.
    $20 x 3 times a month for movie tickets for you and one more person =$60
    Total=$240

    Ps3 plus demon souls and staying home=$268 on amazon. so $28 dollar difference.

    Just a point to consider if you can't resist the call = )

    I'm gonna play advocate or cynic or whatever to your point, but are you seriously saying I need to weigh whether one game is worth more than a month of my social life?

    Despite that, even with the small difference in price, the idea you spend that much money just for 1 game you won't play for more than 100 hours probably.. not worth it.


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    siegfried78
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 35
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2012-07-16

    Re: is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demon souls

    Post by siegfried78 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:13 pm

    Serious_Much wrote:
    siegfried78 wrote:
    Rynn wrote:No. No game is worth that, no matter how good.
    However, if you plan to purchase other PS3 exclusives, or you just want the free online play of the system, PS3 is honestly a better investment then the X-box 360 over time. It is however not worth just 1 game.

    To be the devils advocate on this, one point to add. If you did buy the ps3 and the game you would spend $268, however if you didn't and your like me you will want to get out and do things so you will spend $240.

    $15 x (3 x weeks) x 4 weeks=$180 in eating out in a month.
    $20 x 3 times a month for movie tickets for you and one more person =$60
    Total=$240

    Ps3 plus demon souls and staying home=$268 on amazon. so $28 dollar difference.

    Just a point to consider if you can't resist the call = )

    I'm gonna play advocate or cynic or whatever to your point, but are you seriously saying I need to weigh whether one game is worth more than a month of my social life?

    Despite that, even with the small difference in price, the idea you spend that much money just for 1 game you won't play for more than 100 hours probably.. not worth it.

    mwahaha. Come on serious i thought you were a Dark Souls fan = ) I have to disagree on that argument. Call me what you will. I will concede, depending on what point in your life your in, maybe that makes a difference. For me I have a small child, staying at home is more fun anyway, not to mention, a spouse, so it's not like i'd be going out to meet someone when I could watch a flick on redbox for free with a coupon code. I'd really not be giving up much.
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demon souls

    Post by Serious_Much on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:54 pm

    I do like the souls series very much thanks winking It's just a month at home? For me though, I have a job which usually has two days a week so without doing anything socially, I'd be sitting on my *** 5 days a week doing nothing.

    Definitely a difference between myself and my home situation and yours really silly


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Ciledaknuf
    Regular
    Regular

    Posts : 92
    Reputation : 1
    Join date : 2012-05-13
    Location : Seattle

    Re: is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demon souls

    Post by Ciledaknuf on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:45 pm

    Don't do it. New consoles soon to come (but maybe not soon enough). Borrow a PS3 from a friend and get a super cheap copy of Demon's Souls from... wherever.


    _________________
    xbox: Ciledaknuf
    psn: Ciledaknuf

    All growth is a leap in the dark, a spontaneous unpremeditated act without benefit of experience.

    -Henry Miller
    avatar
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4689
    Reputation : 257
    Join date : 2012-01-26

    Re: is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demon souls

    Post by Rynn on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:07 pm

    I actually understand what he's advocating.
    I give the same counterpoint sometimes... like for example.
    "Dude, modern warfare 3 sucks, and you spent 60 bucks on it?"
    "Why not?"
    "Because it's just a game!"
    "And you just spent 10 dollars to watch a movie... that lasts 2 hours, and my game has given me at least 10 hours of enjoyment. What's your point?"

    Sponsored content

    Re: is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demon souls

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:38 pm