Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

My first poke at a forest hunter (build help)

DigitaLinsanitY
    DigitaLinsanitY
    Addicted
    Addicted

My first poke at a forest hunter (build help) Empty My first poke at a forest hunter (build help)

Post by DigitaLinsanitY Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Long time lurker here. Thanks for providing me with a great DKS resource. The help provided on this wiki / forums has been invaluable throughout the course of my adventure. I've done a good amount of coop / pve . While I do have a good grasp of the game mechanics, my pvp experience is VERY limited. Any input (no matter how obvious it may seem to you) is greatly appreciated.

This game has been out for a long time. Odds are someone has done something similar. If there's a discussion regarding a similar build and you could point me to it, I would be most grateful.

With all the formalities out of the way, here is my forest hunter.
    Thrusty McPoke - twisted DIE GANKERS, DIE A DEATH OF A THOUSAND POKES twisted
    http://tinyurl.com/7lrn2e3

I think the premise behind this build is fairly self explanatory. My goal is to stay mobile and get some counter pokes with the DSS. Eventually, I'd like to create a bit of separation between the gankers and go to town with SLB buffed rapier... going for counter pokes while practicing parrying and the various different bs attempts. Glaring weakness is the lack of any significant poise.

I'm open to any and all suggestions / tweaks. I'm somewhat locked in on the weapons but if you want to suggest something different that still fits the same style... I'm interested. I'm very flexible with the armor setup. Any suggestions on making him look better / play more effectively are welcome. I feel like I should apologize for the My first poke at a forest hunter (build help) 3235151284 mask, but I need the crutch (and ~230 extra hp) in gank situations.

I have the option to manual switch the leo ring if the situations calls for it (hornet ring? wolf ring? red tearstone?). I don't really have the experience to know what that situation may be ... but the option is still there.

Crest shield can also be swapped for something more situation dependent as long as it fits the weight requirements.

The fourth spell slot is left blank for flexibility. I'm leaning towards another cast of wog or maybe even flash sweat or PW. I really dislike twop, but it may be a necessary evil vs the lamest of the gankers. The fourth slot is not all together necessary... but I thought the extra slot was worth more than 2 points in vit or end.

Any comments on general effectiveness and play style are also very welcome. If you think this build sucks and I'll have a really hard time, let me know that too (please tell me why so that I may learn something).

On a side note. I have a very generic 40 / 40 toon that I use for dueling. I won't bother posting him since it's very straight forward and the armor / weapons seem to change daily. I'm always up for a duel / practice session.

PSN: Digitaiinsanity (like my forum name except the "L" at the end of DigitaL is actually an "i".
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

My first poke at a forest hunter (build help) Empty Re: My first poke at a forest hunter (build help)

Post by Tolvo Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:12 pm

I quite like the build, and don't worry about the mask. With your poise and armor, it just seems like a bit of a balance in all honesty. Now then, the talisman is just right, getting the most out of that 30. Now, with that build what might be a bit nice is Force. Using this spell for some breathing room when you get ganged up on, it is a pretty nifty thing to use in the forest. Plus some will assume a WotG, and get sheepish and back off a bit. With your shield, I might recommend the heater shield if you intent to block, or one of the round shields upgraded for magic. Less weight, but you'll get just about the same amount of block. Also, if you are using the Leo you might enjoy the Ricard's rapier more, since you'll get that nice R2 on Counters which will **** face. I hope that helps, and welcome to the forum!
    DigitaLinsanitY
    DigitaLinsanitY
    Addicted
    Addicted

My first poke at a forest hunter (build help) Empty Re: My first poke at a forest hunter (build help)

Post by DigitaLinsanitY Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks for the super quick reply. Didn't even think about using force... great suggestion to buy some space / keep them guessing without burning through very limited wog casts.

I'll be sure to try out Ricard's Rapier on my 40/40, see how I like it.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:24 pm

The R2 is great, but if you miss it you might as well have a sign on your back saying "BS ME!" But, with the leo for counters, you can land three attacks in one attack with the R2, so you can deal massive damage against someone rolling, swinging, running, etc.

So are you using the shield for blocking, parrying, as back up, eh?
    Domassus
    Domassus
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Domassus Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:28 pm

You'll love ricards with Leo at 40 dex. I have been personally rolled over by it unexpectedly a few times now. Careful though, I'd argue ricards r2 is one of the few attacks I can still reliably parry visually even with lag. Dat telegraphing. I've taught some ricard users a thing about why the r2 isn't a safe wakeup punish from bs twisted
    DigitaLinsanitY
    DigitaLinsanitY
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DigitaLinsanitY Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:45 pm

I guess I envisioned using the shield to block and counter in addition to parrying....I'm sure I'll be relying on it a little more than just "back up", especially since I don't have the poise to absorb many hits. I threw the crest shield in there because it had 100% physical, high magic, and reasonable weight. I probably should have considered stability more than I did.

I'm very open to suggestions... was actually thinking of trying to squeeze in the iron round shield... not sure if worth the weight.

At work atm, forgive me if responses are delayed.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:48 pm

Well I love the Iron Round, for what you are doing it might not be too useful. The magic block is a nice idea, considering the number of MLGS and WotG in the forest. The warrior round shield, the wooden one, when upgraded for magic can reach just about the same level of magic block as the crest shield. Thus it weights less, and would allow you to have a bit more poise or armor if you want.
    Baiulus
    Baiulus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Baiulus Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:56 pm

I don't even need to read the rest of your post; the name Thrusty Mcpoke guarantees a successful build.
    DigitaLinsanitY
    DigitaLinsanitY
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DigitaLinsanitY Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:05 pm

Will definitely take a closer look at the shield options. I do have greater magic barrier available, is the extra magic defense provided by the crest shield or a magic upgraded shield over kill?

Am very intrigued by Ricard's Rapier now. Will try it out for sure. I figure I'll be messing with the builder / trying a few last things on my 40 / 40 tonight. Will probably start the build Saturday morning. Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks guys, hopefully I'll be able to contribute something for your builds in the future.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:08 pm

It's a pleasure, as mentioned WotG and MLGS are straight magic damage, and incredibly common. So, I'd say the extra help in defending against magic is nice, to the point that you can negate entire enemy builds effectively. But, I think you'd want to invade some first and see what you are running into the most, because certain shields can be well upgraded to deal with whatever you are facing, like the heater shield.
    DigitaLinsanitY
    DigitaLinsanitY
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DigitaLinsanitY Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:12 pm

@Baiulus -- lol!

I've noticed a few threads suggesting how annoying spears and thrusting weapons can be.
    Seemed perfect for forest hunting. big grin twisted

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:40 am