Sword advice

darkREPRISAL
    Regular
    Regular

Sword advice

Post by darkREPRISAL on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:01 am

Hi all,

Finally made it to NG+ over the weekend, and having used predominantly my Uchi +15 for most of my first playthrough, I fancy trying something a bit more...obscure...

I've got 34 STR and 40 DEX, and quite fancy using:

Falchion
    Flamberge
    Ricard's Rapier

...in particular.

My question is, what upgrade path should I take for all of the above blades? Having used a Normal+15 for ~70 hours or so, I fancy something a bit different but still effective in NG+ and possibly PvP...

Thanks in advance Bow

Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Re: Sword advice

Post by Uparkaam on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:31 am

You got fairly good stats for weapons that scale with STR and DEX. You could stick to using +15 weapons but if you want to try some elemental weapons then go ahead. Make different weapons and try them out and see which ones you like the most.

Uparkaam (main account)
    Dorkmoon
    Torch_Hollow
    Ravelord_Servant
    Gastro_Zombie
    darkREPRISAL
    Regular
    Regular

Post by darkREPRISAL on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:06 am

Uparkaam wrote:You got fairly good stats for weapons that scale with STR and DEX. You could stick to using +15 weapons but if you want to try some elemental weapons then go ahead. Make different weapons and try them out and see which ones you like the most.

Do you lose the bleed build up on weapons when you go elemental with them?

Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:11 am

darkREPRISAL wrote:Do you lose the bleed build up on weapons when you go elemental with them?

Nope, you still get to keep any bleeding happy

Though honestly with your stats sticking to +15 will most likely give you the best damage out of any of the upgrade paths. Unless you've invested into Intelligence or Faith, you could give the Elemental paths a shot (Lightning, Fire, Chaos) but I think you'll find that you were doing more damage with the +15 weapons.

"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis

Raikan007
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Raikan007 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:14 am

darkREPRISAL wrote:
    Uparkaam wrote:You got fairly good stats for weapons that scale with STR and DEX. You could stick to using +15 weapons but if you want to try some elemental weapons then go ahead. Make different weapons and try them out and see which ones you like the most.

Do you lose the bleed build up on weapons when you go elemental with them?

with the flamberge no you do not! I have +3 Lightning and it still has the 300 bleed effect listed..

I would suggest getting the Scythe or Lifehunt Scythe as it scales quite nicely with Dex and does 500 bleed damage, the only thing is that you have to wear the Bloodbite ring all the time!

It really also depends on what moveset you like.. the Black Knight Sword is one of my favourites but it scales with STR!

Painted Guradian sword scales the best with Dex but its reach and moveset are not the greatest!

I would honestly suggest the Balder Side Sword and upgrade it to +10 Fire would be the best path in my opinion, if already done the +15.. I have not upgraded any normal weapon to that yet, I have not found one that scales nicely with my STR character yet..

also the Man Serpent Sword done to +15 which can be buffed and can also use Great magic weapon depending on your other stats (faith/intelligence)

Iato is also good, maybe do a lightning upgrade path?
    darkREPRISAL
    Regular
    Regular

Post by darkREPRISAL on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:23 am

Thanks for all the comments guys, much appreciated.

I guess I should have added that my Faith is 30 (to utilise Darkmoon buff), so I don't know if this alters anyone's views...

Props to Raikan for mentioning Manserpent Sword - that was one I'd forgotten about, and one I will definitely be investing some materials into...scales A with DEX iirc, and can be buffed too!?!?! OOOF!!

EDIT: tried both the Great Scythe and Lifehunt Scythe, and not bonkers about the movesets to be honest, which seem (to me) quite limited and don't link very well, so I'll be avoiding them methinks, especially for PvP...

Raikan007
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Raikan007 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:27 am

darkREPRISAL wrote:Thanks for all the comments guys, much appreciated.

I guess I should have added that my Faith is 30 (to utilise Darkmoon buff), so I don't know if this alters anyone's views...

Props to Raikan for mentioning Manserpent Sword - that was one I'd forgotten about, and one I will definitely be investing some materials into...scales A with DEX iirc, and can be buffed too!?!?! OOOF!!

EDIT: tried both the Great Scythe and Lifehunt Scythe, and not bonkers about the movesets to be honest, which seem (to me) quite limited and don't link very well, so I'll be avoiding them methinks, especially for PvP...

pleasure bud, yes it can to my knowledge, even though I myself never use buffs or spells happy upgrading my character slowly with Faith/Intellegence to utilize all my spells I have collected and bought along the way! I do use Pyro +15 at the moment and cannot locate Quleena, anyway....

What about the Greatsword of Astoria mate? with those stats it could be quite a beast..
    darkREPRISAL
    Regular
    Regular

Post by darkREPRISAL on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:30 am

Raikan007 wrote:What about the Greatsword of Astoria mate? with those stats it could be quite a beast..

Only got 8 points in INT at the moment, and heard mixed reports on the GSoA so wary of pumping 12 points into something that is ultimately pretty...meh...

Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:47 am

GSoA is good when you have around 40 STR, DEX, INT and FTH. Otherwise it's kinda weak. It only works for high leveled characters.
    Also, manserpent greatsword scales only with STR, not DEX. So it wouldn't be so effective with your character. You might want to test claymore and washing pole. They scale with both STR and DEX.

Uparkaam (main account)
    Dorkmoon
    Torch_Hollow
    Ravelord_Servant
    Gastro_Zombie

Raikan007
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Raikan007 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:00 am

yeah good idea bud happy forgot that there quickly that he was Dex silly

Greatsword of the Greatlord maybe? I just ascended it the other day and upgraded to +5 and doing like 440 damage which is meh... dont think its a good sword to be honest..

yeah the GsoA is only really good when all the stats that it uses are maxed.. it deals like 156 base damage.. I cant use it as I am 12 Int and 8 Faith silly lol
    not going to happen this time!

Flamberge is a good weapon, nice moveset and the bleeding is cool! Fire or Lightning is the way to go with that!
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:27 am

Murakumos +15 is all you need.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    darkREPRISAL
    Regular
    Regular

Post by darkREPRISAL on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:40 am

RantFromRant wrote:Murakumos +15 is all you need.

Got one of them - it's (as you rightly say) ace!!

Noob-of-Artorias
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Noob-of-Artorias on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:50 pm

I'm gonna plug the Gravelord Sword, which I have only recently started using, and love a whole whole lot, the toxic buildup is great in PVP, it's a turtle killer.

PSN ID: Fatal-Impulse101

Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:15 pm

+15 is always better if you have the stats to scale. Contrary to what someone above me said, the GLGS is a very good weapon balanced between Str and Dex, it's about the same as the Cursed GSoA at 40/40.

7:eye-death: http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t22607-children-of-the-grave-now-recruiting#472079 :eye-death:             

PSN accounts: Ghadis_God
                         ringo_mogire_SZS
    siegfried78
    Casual
    Casual

Post by siegfried78 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:19 pm

In regards to your original question, I would get the falchion and or the Ricard's to +15 since they both have A scaling at +15 with dex. Then I would drop a buff on them as needed like Crystal Magic Weapon if your using magic, or Darkmoon Blade if your running faith (although that would require you to enter the Darkmoon Cov). If your not planning to use magic or faith pump the rest into dex (for damage), vit (for health), or end (for speed or armor) depending on your play style.

You could convert them to another type of weapon such as fire or lightning which would be fun but they will not do as much potential damage as a +15 buffed weapon, since you cannot buff non standard weapons and the higher NG+ you get the more a problem this will be.

My personal preference for PVE is Demon's Great Axe +15 which has the S rating (the highest) for strength scaling and then still do the CMW or DMB. I am also a big fan of the regular great axe and the uchigatana. (for the uchi however I use fire or lightning because I have a low dex). In your case I wouldnt do the DGA though unless you pump lots into strength obviously. Hope that helps.
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:29 pm

You can use pretty much anything nicely with your stats
    -avoid the GSoA like the plague. 40 in str dex fth and int and it barely outperformed the MLGS for me. that is unless its a style choice
    -DSS is pretty powerful and your stats suit it (dragon slayer spear)
    - +15 is by far the optimal path for you although having a flame weapon for the painted world and a divine weapon for the catacombs would be a good call too.

sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:13 pm

try a bastard sword, scales well with both your stats and had good damage, you could also try a spear like the winged or partizan.

Regular
    Regular

Post by darkREPRISAL on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:34 am

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions...will have a good read through today and see which ones I fancy a stab at (no pun intended).

Oh, and was given 20 x titanite Slabs last night by some random dude in PvP Undead Burg....should make my weapon experiments that bit easier anyway silly

EDIT: Oh, forgot about the MSGS, which is very high on my list of 'different' weapons to try out....given my stat preference for DEX I think I'll make that either +15 and buff with DMB, or perhaps consider Chaos +5 methinks (622dmg @ 10 Humanity)....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:48 am