Lag stabbing..... yeah i know *rolls eyes

Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Re: Lag stabbing..... yeah i know *rolls eyes

Post by Tolvo on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:39 am

If I notice a good deal of delay between us, mid fight I can just run through and BS them before they'll even be able to react, something which is fairly useful when facing down three opponents. On my screen I see three guys just standing there so I just charge through spin and BS. On their screen they teleport right back to the place I BS'ed them. It's a bit risky on my end because I leave myself open, but usually they aren't great at countering it. It's pretty much a free BS.
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:42 am

I guess that might fall under the "serious lag" category. I'm not going to question THE authority on Forest Hunting any further. Haha.

Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:43 am

I'm no authority haha, but it's just a total abuse of lag on my end to get a kill. That's why I save it for the forest though, I don't like to use that tactic otherwise.
    befowler

Post by befowler on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:53 am

Tolvo, you still owe me a counter-bs training session. The 14,000 bs deaths I've suffered in the iterim I lay at your feet. big grin

Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:54 am

Oh god, I'm in no position to train anyone anymore haha.
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:08 pm

Add me and I'll do it later today. PSN is DamageCK.

Post by befowler on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:14 pm

Cool, will do. Tolvo, I know even Skyrim hasn't ruined you completely. big grin

Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:16 pm

Trust me, it has indefinitely.
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:30 pm

Aaaaaaand the thread just got derailed as it took me too long to type, what a surprise.

ANYWAY:

Tolvo wrote:If I notice a good deal of delay between us, mid fight I can just run through and BS them before they'll even be able to react, something which is fairly useful when facing down three opponents. On my screen I see three guys just standing there so I just charge through spin and BS. On their screen they teleport right back to the place I BS'ed them. It's a bit risky on my end because I leave myself open, but usually they aren't great at countering it. It's pretty much a free BS.

I think that is what Damage wanted to point out, after all you only got your screen in front of you, you cannot know how much you were lagging to them, if you are teleporring all over the place, or if you even are lagging noticeably. I think the delay you see on your screen does not necessarily tell that you are lagging to them too. It's very likely I did get that whole peer-to-peer system wrong... of course then all I say is invalid. :suspect:

But anyway, goint on with that belief for now I think you can't tell if they left their back open because of lag or because they mainly didn't react in time or made a wrong move. I know that it's almost always due to lag, mainly.... Or technically it's always (at least partly) due to lag (because it's always present).

Yeah, I'm so unsure what to say now about it in general. It's kind of an odd concept. You can't control the lag and you don't know how much you are lagging to them, but still that doesn't change the fact that you are going for backstabs because you know that lag makes them easy.

EDIT: Adding the question: So can you say that lagstabs "an intentionally employed method"?

Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK on Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:19 pm

That's pretty much what I'm getting at. If the game is lagging, then it's a BS that was laggy. But you couldn't, for instance, perform a BS without lag in that case because you don't control lag and neither do they. So the point then is that people aren't consciously manipulating lag to "lagstab". It's just a BS during a period when the game happened to be lagging.

Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:27 pm

But that's still intentionally using the lag presented, thus an intentional lagstab.
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK on Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:32 pm

I still take issue with the term "lagstab". It's no different from any other attack when the game is lagging. And the point still stands that you don't KNOW that they're lagging, so how could you truly take advantage of it?

Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:35 pm

They're standing still and targeting a spot where I wasn't, they're obviously lagging. I know they're lagging, or I am, and take advantage of the delay between us.
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK on Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:43 pm

Assuming it's THEIR game that's lagging and not yours, which would mean that you did in fact consciously take advantage of PROMINENT lag, I don't think that happens often enough to classify people as lagstabbers. It's capitalizing on a period of lag to attack in whatever form, but I still don't consider it a type of method or technique. Can we agree on that, my man? Haha. I think that's fair.

Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Except to me, it is a moment I intentionally notice and do it. I see a delay, I know I can do a quick charge pivot without them seeing it coming, since they can't respond in time. A quick roll BS can work just as well. Often it is accidental for people or they don't realize it, but I find it very easy to notice and take advantage of. Even just hitting your opponent once can give you enough info on whether its a safe risk to take or not. Because that is the issue with it, if they realize the delay as well they can easily counter BS you or BS you flat out before you reach where they were.
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:03 pm

I agree that lag stabs are not ALWAYS intentional. Thing is like serious said, some people know they dont have the greatest internet connection. I find a lot of players using this to their advantage. I honestly would love to see what the person lagging sees, cause from what i understand they dont really get effected. This does not make sense to me.

I really hope the arena in DLC has something that shows the other players connection before a fight, like a lot of other multiplayer games. That way i can just avoid any fight that doesnt have at least 3 bars ext. Cause its really not a fight when the connection is bad, i usually just send a "lag ftw!" msg and move on.
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:41 pm

Tolvo wrote:Except to me, it is a moment I intentionally notice and do it. I see a delay, I know I can do a quick charge pivot without them seeing it coming, since they can't respond in time. A quick roll BS can work just as well. Often it is accidental for people or they don't realize it, but I find it very easy to notice and take advantage of. Even just hitting your opponent once can give you enough info on whether its a safe risk to take or not. Because that is the issue with it, if they realize the delay as well they can easily counter BS you or BS you flat out before you reach where they were.
    Thats called correctly judging lag, and as I mentioned earlier, it wins fights. If they fail to judge it correctly and adjust their tactics, its on them.

We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:07 am

Indeed Forum, I was merely stating that it is using lag to my advantage. Again, not everyone does it, but it's not that hard to do.
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:38 am

I guess I'm just the moron who can't distinguish lag on my end from lag on theirs. I'll occasionally get a message after a win that just says "LAAAAG", but everything was hunky dorey on my end. So how exactly are you supposed pinpoint the periods of lag on their end. I suppose that's what is keeping me from accepting your point over mine, Tolvo. Solid as it may be.

Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:42 am

If they stand still, you notice them teleporting, or when striking them you notice a delay. Taking advantage of the lag is pretty common with certain weapons as well, such as spears and rapiers make great use of a bad connection. It's just something to use, but if you haven't had bad connections then it just might not be worth it for you to ever learn or even notice.
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:17 am

I very rarely have connection issues. I pay out the butt for the top tier connecyion. I giess I'm just not saying "hey, theyte just standing there. That means THEY might be lagging." Typically I just assume the lag is on my end.

Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:21 am

I don't have that great of a connection, so I notice it frequently enough. Using a laptop and the PS3 off of wireless in the other side of the house tends to do that haha.
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:24 am

Haha. I've noticed that even using my phone to browse with my wireless router slows the connection considerably. I'm sure a laptoos just eats it up.

Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:27 am

I'm a little drunk, by the way. Can you tell? Haha. Typos everywhere.

Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:28 am

Drunk Dark Souls, the ultimate challenge.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:35 pm