Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+49
Lancelot
Sorrow95
GrinTwist
IV_Mark_VI
Shkar
RNsunbro
Nybbles
Chr0m3
Phantasmio
Knight Alundil
Aces ovr Eights
Aramat_857
DigitaLinsanitY
matthewm7
Cynic
Bloodios
ICEFANG
tofucactaur
Darkson
Jorund
bmurn
Shabbalaba
Scirvir
Doelker
Lachsfilet
Ghadis_God
RandelOolacile
befowler
Eolan
dead_boy
roomsixteen
baby_beavis
VinheimProfessor
Rynn
Bold berthold
Dark Souls PRO
Green__Eagle
ublug
Gawain
DoughGuy
WyrmHero
BoilerFan8472
swordiris
skarekrow13
Tolvo
Isirith
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
JoeBroski09
fireLESS
53 posters

Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run

DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run - Page 2 Empty Re: Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run

Post by DoughGuy Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:48 pm

People have done no bonfdire runs before, and as said the ash lake one always was the problem, no one could get it out. A lot of methods were tried. Tolvo Im pretty sure glyphblades thread had most of the attempts whihc is why you wont be able to find a thread about it. OP I hope you are good at PvE and knowwhat you are in for. Think abouyt the distances you will have to travel. From the anor londo fire to seath, from firelink to Nito and daughters of chaos to the BoC. These are very large distances with a max of 20 estus.
    Gawain
    Gawain
    Addicted
    Addicted

Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run - Page 2 Empty Re: Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run

Post by Gawain Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:53 pm

All will be revealed in the flashback dlc... I hope silly
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:07 am

DoughGuy wrote:People have done no bonfdire runs before, and as said the ash lake one always was the problem, no one could get it out. A lot of methods were tried. Tolvo Im pretty sure glyphblades thread had most of the attempts whihc is why you wont be able to find a thread about it. OP I hope you are good at PvE and knowwhat you are in for. Think abouyt the distances you will have to travel. From the anor londo fire to seath, from firelink to Nito and daughters of chaos to the BoC. These are very large distances with a max of 20 estus.

Sweet. I am well aware of these distances. I was very worried when I went down to the bottom of blight town in an exploratory attempt. (harvesting slugs for my divine build.). The game adapted. It was EASY. I conquered with just a lil help and a wish...I didn't want to take the bell so I just cooped. Ran out through valley of drakes, full health full money 30 humanity. A ton of coins. I'm telling u. The game makes it easy if u follow the rules. Way more productive then harvesting.
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:34 am

Maybe I'm crazy. Or just good now that I know the opponents...
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:48 am

BoC is the only reason I cannot help you in this journey or mimic it. That boss, that terrible terrible boss.
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:10 am

The BoC shouldnt be altogether too dificult. I have Pharis bow on a faith build. So I can shoot the orb when I'm out of reach. Then turn quit game and do it to the other side, then quit game and run in and jump on the ramp and kill that sucka.
    My problem is mainly GREEN SHARDS. Which breaks down easy with frampt.. Right?? I can't get to him until later. I HATE him. Because he lies to me about linking the fires. However he does break **** into green shards...
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:04 am

I've also done the extinguish run, as well as a kindle all run. Nothing came from either.

During a kindle all discussion someone mentioned that even if you fully kindle all bonfires, a random bonfire would be 'unkindled' in ng+. I'm not sure if this is verified, but it could be the solution to unkindle ash lake if true, unless it only applies when all fires are kindled. This could mean that never kindling a bonfire would still unkindle one in the next gamecycle. My extinguish character fully kindled the three firekeeper fires, before killing the keepers, so I haven't bothered checking their status (or ash lake) in ng+.

There's also the 'light bonfire' thing, where if you only touch unlit bonfires once you only light them. You won't respawn there, nor be able to warp there until you have rested as well? I don't know if there could be any other point to lighting unlit bonfires.

When you start a new game you will respawn at firelink once you leave the asylum. After you arrive, the first death should set your flasks to 10 without touching the firelink fire (if I remember correctly).
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:58 am

I've tried a "no bonfire run" and posted a thread about it.

If you die, you go back to Firelink. I did use the Firekeeper souls, but you're always dead.

Now, I'm curious. It sounds like you are resting at Firelink and leveling up there. So, if you're human you could ask for help against some bosses.

Have you considered not resting at a bonfire and not lighting any bonfires?

How are you going to extinguish the bonfire in The Abyss?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:03 am

Green__Eagle wrote:How are you going to extinguish the bonfire in The Abyss?

He doesn't need to light it I don't think. He can kill the Kings, take off his Covenant of Artorias Ring, fall through the Abyss, and respawn back at Firelink.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:06 am

Or homeward bone out since oce you kil the kings you dont need the abyss ring.
    Dark Souls PRO
    Dark Souls PRO
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Dark Souls PRO Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:07 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:
    Green__Eagle wrote:How are you going to extinguish the bonfire in The Abyss?

He doesn't need to light it I don't think. He can kill the Kings, take off his Covenant of Artorias Ring, fall through the Abyss, and respawn back at Firelink.
    Or homeward bone back to firelink.
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:21 am

I think the bonfire in the Abyss is automatically lit when you defeat the Kings.

I don't recall having to find the unlit bonfire and then light it.

Also, the bonfire on the Firelink Altar cannot be extinguished. Or can it?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:23 am

No, you absolutely have to light it. Trust me, I'm a longtime Darkwraith, so I know.

And if you let Lautrec kill Anastacia, that'll extinguish the Firelink bonfire.
    Bold berthold

Post by Bold berthold Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:25 am

Maybe you should feed the pendant to the ash lake fire.
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:28 am

Good comments.
    I can only hope this run will put out the fire for NG+, but I doubt it willl even be that easy.
    1)I think to extinguish that fire we really need to boil down this Pygmy riddle. Anyone ever heard any mention of him in ACTUAL game play from an NPC?
    2) should I be allowed to deal with the Liar frampt? He is all about linking fires, afterall. I think I'll avoi him unless I really need a titanite for some reason.

I think we need to consider what Rhea is up to with her pendant.
    Again, the game is totally responding! About to put a few hrs in harvesting the green titanite for my divine weapons.
    I'm wondering if the game is responding because I choose the right class with its correct covenant?? I am thief with pendant and I joined the sunbros. I did so because the pendant has the exact same image on it as the sunbro medals. I wanted the coop because, it refills your ESTUS flasks and Sunspears! That is such a key thing that noone notices. Coop became integral to make the long distances and it became clear that invaders are what present the ONLY effective challenge.

The answer key is in the story and in the missions of the NPC characters. Laurtrec kills a firekeeper, he said to me moments ago "he has more pressing matters above, he has no use for her" or something like that. What is his deal anyway? I've killed him and his buddies with the orb in previous runs, out of rage for killing my firekeeper. What is his ambition?

He has two helpers. Rhea has two (decent) helpers. Maybe just a coincidence. It seems like I can only summon 2 helpers, could I get more somehow? Coop may be a key factor also. Those who like the torment of linked fires can invade and try to stop me (THIS is why Rhea get into trouble with Petrus. He is suspicious of what she intends to do, which is WHAT exactly?)

I think the story has options. We have found 2 endings, either way puts us back into the cell. The two possible endings are the serpents paths.
    I find them untrustworthy and they seem like they are USING us. It's a power struggle going on. I simply plan to put all the power in my hands, and bring on the AGE OF MAN.
    Has anyone ever gone down in the catacombs and killed the guy who gives Rhea trouble BEFORe he heads down there? Surely this can be done, just curious if I should attempt it on NG+ when/if I get there.

I wish I could find one NPC who said "hey why haven't u lit a bonfire?" that would be something!
    Regardless the game is giving me positive affirmation in the fact that it is relatively easy. Everything is adding up playing it this way. Another way and I'm just trolling.

fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 am

Is Killing Petrus AND purchasing everything from Rhea trigger the event that makes her seemingly miraculously appearance in Dukes Archives?
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:02 pm

Furtive : attempting to avoid notice or attention, because of guilt or a belief that discovery would lead to trouble

Pygmy: short in stature. Perhaps a smaller fellow in actual size. Perhaps an easily overlooked dude because he is of SEEMINGLY little importance.

Hmmm.
    Dark Souls PRO
    Dark Souls PRO
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Dark Souls PRO Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:04 pm

Are people really starting up Pygmy conversations now? "Sigh"
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:22 pm

Dark Souls PRO wrote:Are people really starting up Pygmy conversations now? "Sigh"

Haha. Sorry. It does seem convoluted.
    I'm convinced that what we are easily overlooking is this:
    The Pygmy conversation IS the E dragon conversation, which IS the extinguish bonfire conversation. Understanding the meaning behind the pendant, I think, is the key that will tie that together.
    I have no evidence. Im not sure From would give any evidence. Nonetheless, this whole character is just in hopes of seeing a shred of evidence favoring a potential Easter egg. So far, the game is most def playing in a way that actually makes sense, for once.

Side note: just a nerdy thought. Wouldn't it be cool if we formed a coop army somehow?
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:30 pm

To give a message in the most cyptic of manners.
    "Need 7"
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:40 pm

Now to be a lot less cryptic.
    Try New Game +++++++... I have seen some... weird... things appear to happen on this difficulty. Like Lautrec appearing to have different dialog. If you are going to do a no-bonfire run, I think you have to do all 7 New Games before you'll see anything.
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:13 pm

What are these weird things? I want to know. I'm the chosen one, afterall.
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:12 pm

UPDATE:

I have not rung the second bell. Although I easily can by this point. I picked up both firekeeper souls as I went down to harvest a bunch of green shards. Upon returning to firelink, Lautrec did indeed kill the keeper. Immediately afterwards ol boy crestfallen tells me the deal about the various ways that one can regain humanity. This seems so pointed considering a nobonfire run means that at the moment lautrec kills the keeper, I would be worrying about how to restore humanity considering I have no bonfire.

FURTHERMORE: Petrus in firelink suddenly allows me to purchase his faith based equipment. He wouldnt do it before, because he demanded to go Way of White. No his lady (whom he fears the intentions of) is gone and the fire is gone too, I guess he is getting worried. I didnt want to be sinful so I have managed without healing and what-not. Then I come out to find my bonfire gone, of course. But to my surprise this event TRIGGERED petrus also. He is now officially crazy enough to forget that Im not in the covenant and sell me the spells to help me in a world without flasks. This just does not seem coincidental. I get worried, then the game provides.

Progress is going quite easily. I've played enough to see a pattern here. There is def something to this. Im interested to see the changes that will occur both in this run and in NG+ runs.
    VinheimProfessor
    VinheimProfessor
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by VinheimProfessor Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:56 pm

BoilerFan8472 wrote:What was the Pygmy's "power"? Gwyn lightning, Witch chaos fire, Nito poison and toxic

Hmmm. Well technically, the Witch and her daughters used sorcery that pre-dated chaos fire. Chaos Fire was created when the Witch tried to duplicate the First Flame, and the versions of Chaos Fire techniques you use originate in the Pyromancy skills that Quelana created. You might notice that in the intro it looks like the Witch and her daughters are holding up catalysts and the unnamed daughter that fights you in Lost Izalith drops the Izalith Catalyst.

This is the description of the Izalith Catalyst: "Catalyst of the Witch of Izalith of long ago, when her daughters were still flame witches, before they were engulfed by the Chaos Flame. Before the birth of pyromancy, their wands were mediums for sorcery, but knowledge of this flame sorcery has long since vanished."

This further gives us some indication that they were sorceresses who used sorcery connected to either the First Flame or Fire as a whole, manipulating it using soul power similar to the other sorcerers in the game. The catalysts/wands they are shown using are very tall, making them seem similar to the Tin Crystallization or Banishment catalysts.

Last edited by VinheimProfessor on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:08 pm

Update:
    I made it to the second bell by killing Quelaag. So that means that I successfully went from the firelink, down into blightown to harvest green shards, back out with the shards but no flasks left. From there I used the shards to level my faith weapons, bought all of Petrus stuff. Need a fire to equip it, and I could use a flask. I used a humanity for health at one point. Regardless I made it all the way back down (enemies did recover) into blighttown and defeated Quelaag, then and went on down to investigate the Quelaag sisters fire.
    Engyi was down there and asked me if I was her servant. I responded honestly with a no. However, I will not be stopped by a little egg man. I want to sit at the fire and I want to kill Qualag sister to put that fire OUT.
    SO I KILLED HIM.
    As he dies he exclaims "My lady, Your in trouble".

Yes, my poor little oozing man. She is in trouble.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 pm