Pinwheel's masks ... I just don't get it

WarriorOfBenOwnage
    Regular
    Regular

Re: Pinwheel's masks ... I just don't get it

Post by WarriorOfBenOwnage on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:37 am

Forum Pirate wrote:Sacrificing functionality to be "different" isn't logical. No matter what you do, someone else has already done it.

I'm not telling you to wear the masks, but "originality" is a lame excuse. Just say you don't like them, the reason is irrelevant.

Maybe originality isn't the right word. Perhaps "style" is a better one. Looking cool to me is enough reason to change to a less functional piece of headgear, even though it's not original. Personally, I really like the masks, and wear them a lot, but on certain builds, i.e. Cosplays, it's fine to sacrifice a bit of functionality for style if that's the point of the build. But, different strokes for different folks. To each his own.

Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Lepro on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:52 am

alrite i must admit i use the mask of the mother, but i aint no ganker, lets just say i dont even kno wtf they are haha and welli only use it cus well i like the 15% health it gives you, but i also mix the masks up a bit i dont just always use the one, i use all 3 but the times i use mask of the child i also use the cloranthy ring and the grass crest shield, just for the stamina regain, specially since i havent had many honorable PVP mathches :/

http://tinyurl.com/7u5d2ua this is my build.
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil on Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:02 pm

Lepro wrote:alrite i must admit i use the mask of the mother, but i aint no ganker, lets just say i dont even kno wtf they are haha and welli only use it cus well i like the 15% health it gives you, but i also mix the masks up a bit i dont just always use the one, i use all 3 but the times i use mask of the child i also use the cloranthy ring and the grass crest shield, just for the stamina regain, specially since i havent had many honorable PVP mathches :/

Since you one shot anyone right after the "bow" gesture, no doubt its dificult to find an honorable player out there

I'm not the chosen one, I'm the one who chose to be more.

Carphil_BR on PSN :bas:
    ROOSTER330
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by ROOSTER330 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:49 pm

Carphil wrote:
    Lepro wrote:alrite i must admit i use the mask of the mother, but i aint no ganker, lets just say i dont even kno wtf they are haha and welli only use it cus well i like the 15% health it gives you, but i also mix the masks up a bit i dont just always use the one, i use all 3 but the times i use mask of the child i also use the cloranthy ring and the grass crest shield, just for the stamina regain, specially since i havent had many honorable PVP mathches :/

Since you one shot anyone right after the "bow" gesture, no doubt its dificult to find an honorable player out there

BURN! lol

War Organizer, Surtr : http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t8556p150-character-bio-compendeum#201274

User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:26 pm

I wish I had a mask that can make me weigh less... enough to fly to the moon. Sadly, I only got the father's mask.

I wish I had a mask that would make me more energetic. that way I could withstand that amount of dung pies that reside in one place and then another. Sadly, I only got the child's mask.

I wish I had a mask that was able to vitalize me; I wish to be able to be young forever more, and to always look sexy even in a gimpy torn grey robe. Sadly, I only got the mother's mask.
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:20 pm

ROOSTER330 wrote:
    Forum Pirate wrote:Sacrificing functionality to be "different" isn't logical. No matter what you do, someone else has already done it.

I'm not telling you to wear the masks, but "originality" is a lame excuse. Just say you don't like them, the reason is irrelevant.

Isnt logical? It isnt life or death my friend. Its a game. Played to be fun. For some of us, the abundance of the masks takes away from the fun. And I am just saying I dont like them, the reason may be irrelevant to YOU, but if thats so, dont read this thread buddy happy.
    Does the prevolance of dodging take away from the fun? How about weapons? Everyone has those. Or controllers, everyone uses one of those when they play. Is driving less fun because everyone has a steering wheel, or racing less fun because everyone has brembo brakes?

I was trying to point out the flaw in that logic without being a prick. I'm going to hope you see my point now.

We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:24 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:
    ROOSTER330 wrote:

Isnt logical? It isnt life or death my friend. Its a game. Played to be fun. For some of us, the abundance of the masks takes away from the fun. And I am just saying I dont like them, the reason may be irrelevant to YOU, but if thats so, dont read this thread buddy happy.
    Does the prevolance of dodging take away from the fun? How about weapons? Everyone has those. Or controllers, everyone uses one of those when they play. Is driving less fun because everyone has a steering wheel, or racing less fun because everyone has brembo brakes?

I was trying to point out the flaw in that logic without being a prick. I'm going to hope you see my point now.
    I've bolded the part where he specifies the masks themselves aabundance makes him dislike the masks. he never says abundance of something makes him dislike, it, just specifically the masks abundance does.

Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:30 pm

You seem to have missed my point.

He also didn't say he disliked the masks, he said "For some of us, the abundance of the masks takes away from the fun," so I criticised his premise by applying the same logic to other things.

DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:35 pm

So you took an argument applying to something that is an optional equipment, not necessary, and applied it to things that are compulsory to play?

User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:37 pm

Ah, who needs a mask anyways, when they can show there gorgeous face! Bring it here.

Of course, we are leading towards a topic that goes to another strife that has existed here for a while, and seems to be the most frequent. The masks are useful, and if implemented with the right stuff can look great. Efficiency and Style can be of the same thing in Dark Souls. Add the mask on a few sets of armour to match with the mask (Father Looks good with Cloth Armour, and you can add some elite knight armour and so on for legging and hands; Child looks good on a male chainmail user; experimentation is always good), as well as the weapons. The aspect of the masks being tiring, is that the masks are 'unique' in what they do: No helmet can add HP, regenrate stamina, nor make weight capabilities increase. Since these aspects are usually seen on rings and such, player remove a helmet of armour or looks, and adds a mask instead. Since it weights only 1.2 each, it makes its weight seemingly meaningless, while allowing players to have two rings and other equipment. Do grass crest sheild, a greatsheild; No havel ring, a flip ring and tearstone ring; No need to work on vitality, can add some more into other stats. Masks are unique in what they are, and that is buffing helmets. Only a few others exist, and that is the Maggot Helm (cast light version of helmet), Dusk Crown, and Dark Sun Crown. Since many usually put on havel armour and greif on low levels, they usually don't wear much for helmets. Since masks weigh less, they flop it on to add more power.

it is just what it is. I would never use a mask for what most use it for, and use it only if it looks good on a character. A Father's Mask with Cloth Cleric and a Gravelord Sword does not do much weight wise, and the child mask with chainmail is mostly for the better hat for the chains.

The masks are there, and the masks are good what they are do. They do not make users immortal, they just add more in power. It is what they were designed for, and they are good at what they do.
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ZikoLogiKa NL on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:40 pm

Mask of Father + Black Sorcerer Cloak + Bloodstained Skirt + Havel's gaunts & The Wolf Ring looks cool to me ., slim body as usual , not much clipping going on .

I like the freaky look on the especially with the GLSs R2 poke

Post by Carphil on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:44 pm

^but thats is the idea, it only looks good because it adds a buff and you are used to it. What if mask of the father didn't buffed nothing, you would never use them.

I'm not the chosen one, I'm the one who chose to be more.

Carphil_BR on PSN :bas:
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:47 pm

DoughGuy wrote:So you took an argument applying to something that is an optional equipment, not necessary, and applied it to things that are compulsory to play?
    Brembo brakes arn't compulsory, neither are dodging or contollers, a keyboard and mouse could play the game fine, there's even a workaround to allow it on the xbox. The other examples were exaggerations intended to make a point.

User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:53 pm

The point being that it is relative, and not compulsory. However, they do it anyways because of different reasons, logically for efficiency.
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:56 pm

In either case, if everyone is the same it can detract from a game. Imagine an MMO where one class is utterly superior(Some might argue this is the case in all MMO's) Well now, why would anyone play any other class? That one is better, flat out. By your idea, the other classes in the game should not be played because of "Style" of play or appearance, or for individuality. Everyone should just play the one class, use the best armor, and the best weapon/spell. Such would cause every player to appear the same, and fight in an incredibly similar manner. As well parts of the game are completely ignored, because either they have no worth or do not aid the person in becoming more powerful. This sounds like an incredibly shallow world to me. Simply put, I'd rather live in a world with color than one that is simply gray, with people fading in and out of existence that are easily replaced by literally anyone else. That's why some of us prefer style, and prefer to not use common weapons or tactics.

User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:58 pm

Well Tolvo, I would think the best term would be 'to live in a world of colour instead of black and white; good or weak'. Grey has a lot of shades, if you have not heard.

lol
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Gray specifically is a color that promotes efficiency, but also negatively effects emotions and can cause depression, that's why I chose it.

User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:01 am

Alright, I can buy that. I find that blue is a little bit of a depressing colour if done the wrong tint... that, and teal. *** you, teal.

Back on topic, we all have our preferences, and even those who follow efficiency are a form of 'colour'. However, you must also understand that that can also be taken if everyone was aiming for the other direction as well, and would just be one colour of different shades... that being probably green or brown.
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:04 am

Blue is another color that can cause depression, though it also is calming. Colors have interesting effects upon the mind.

I understand that efficiency is a color as well, hell I love gray. I just don't want to see so much of one color...Or series of shades...Or tints...Or teal. It would be the same if everyone in the game was pink, or yellow. My eyes would bleed.

User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:07 am

I think grey would be best to describe right and wrong rather than taste. Grey I would think would not have much taste... don;t recall much foods that do have anything. Maybe stone would be the best one, that seems logical. of course, that's just me.

I think we are heading back to philosophy of ethics, morals, beliefs, and other such things that many might call 'politics', rather than masks. IMO, I think the best mask is the one I created for myself.
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:10 am

What always annoyed me though...Is I actually really love how the Mask of the Father looks. So I was so disheartened when I first found out how popular it was.
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:10 am

But there isn't a best class. There are a few combinations of armor that are better than everything else, but nearly every game involving combat has that. Its simply that all of those combinations are fairly well known and wide spread.

If you want to bring mmo's into this, keep in mind that there is almost always gear that is definitively the best for each class, and playsyle variance is determined by how you fill your roll, not what you're wearing.

Grey, silver, and blue are my favorite colors, in the opposite order.

User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:13 am

To be fair, the mask is usually found on the really heavy armour.

Now how do you counter that? Adding it onto something that does not necessarily need it. seems like the best course. You know, bandit armour looks good with the father's mask if male.

Silver is my favourite, as is grey and black. I also love the colours of orange as well. When I get my ring, it shall be silver, with an Onyx Ruby surrounded by double twin thorns spouting out, going along with the ring line. That, and have three obsidian pearls beside the Onyx Ruby. I find that ring to be cool.
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:17 am

Actually there are points in time where mages can have spells that deal the most damage, have the most mana possible, and have arcane armor that provides just as much survivability. That's why they often do fixes, because there are often inbalances in multiplayer games. An old issue from KOTOR 2. One spell would stun an opponent while damaging them, and cost next to no force points. So if you just spammed it, you could defeat any enemy without them ever hitting you. There are always problems when it comes to multiplayer.
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:19 am

I never claimed the game was well balanced. The goal is always to break the game as much as possible. That still leaves each class with a ,generally, unambiguous best gear setup.

Last edited by Forum Pirate on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:24 pm