Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+22
Ghadis_God
DoughGuy
JohnnyHarpoon
WarriorOfBenOwnage
ROOSTER330
Dark Souls PRO
bloodpixel
WyrmHero
Carphil
User
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Rynn
DamageCK
Juutas
Rifter7
sinisterapathy
dancash1808
ZikoLogiKa NL
BishopHavel
TehInfamousAmos
Forum Pirate
xtal84
26 posters

Pinwheel's masks ... I just don't get it

dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Pinwheel's masks ... I just don't get it - Page 3 Empty Re: Pinwheel's masks ... I just don't get it

Post by dancash1808 Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:20 pm

PvE first build. pyro gear with antiquated dress. later going bare chested to be able to wield the dragon greatsword with fast roll.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Pinwheel's masks ... I just don't get it - Page 3 Empty Re: Pinwheel's masks ... I just don't get it

Post by User Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:10 pm

Necromancers are cool... I want to be able to use the Skull lantern for more. Sadly, no. instead, I just beat people with an attack that is weaker than my worm attack.

:bas:
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:31 am

Acidic_Cook wrote:Like I said, they need Pinwheel robes and other equipment, other than the helmet. Seriously, I said this in posts in the past, I would wear the mask if I could have the robes and lanterns. I want a forth class of magic to use. Give me Flame/Dark Lantern Powers.

This is true. Actually Pinwheel is a really cool boss, but those masks with full giants or havels just makes my eyes vomit. Pinwheel armor-set FTW! Imagine a spell that makes you split in 3 and 2 of those would be NPCs and one would be the real you and the opponent would be all "WTF!?" the clones could have like 400-500 HP.
    Dark Souls PRO
    Dark Souls PRO
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Dark Souls PRO Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:35 am

I'm a vitality freak because backstabs scare the living day lights out of me so I want to be able to survive even the strongest one. That is why I wear the Mask of the Mother and why most of my builds have the FaP ring on even if it doesn't make sense.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:49 am

dancash1808 wrote:Skull lantern lures monsters to your location slowly. your opponent turtling? summon the armies of the burg upon him!
    Is this for real? I might use the skull lantern more often if it's true...
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:36 pm

No, I'm sorry ryn that was a hypothetical power for it. sad sorry.
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ZikoLogiKa NL Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:39 pm

Ive only recently used the aluring skulls for the first time.,

it's fun throwing them in the Parish to lure the whole group of zombies downstairs .,

guarded by The Channeler , then detonate the group with a pyro projectile of Black Bomb big grin
    xtal84
    xtal84
    Regular
    Regular

Post by xtal84 Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:38 am

sinisterapathy wrote:I use MoC on most of my buids...the stanima regen does help alot. I also wear armor with no poise on my main.

A: The defense of helms is almost useless.

B:Havels weighs too much The rest dont offer enogh poise to matter for me

C: I dont really like the way most armor looks in this game...I like shadow garb chest with havels legs/hands when i want poise and med roll or flip ring. I still wear MoC most of time though. When i dont i mostly just dont wear a helm.

D: Maybe you shouldnt be so concerned with what everyone else is wearing. Sure gankers wear masks..so do ALOT of honorable players. They are useful why shouldnt i wear one? Because gankers use them? Well then you shouldnt use anything in the game because i can guarantee that gankers use it too. Say goodbye to any heavy armor. Say goodbye to almost every weapon in the game. Say go...you get the point.

The funny thing is you are mad at the gankers but calling everyone who uses a piece of equipment that they do an ***. Which includes honorable playeres such as Forum and myself.

I spend most of time on this game in the forest hunting gankers. I wear MoC. It takes alot of stanima to dodge and attack 3 healing Dbags.

I will keep wearing it. Get over it.Pinwheel's masks ... I just don't get it - Page 3 758582142

I guess I am bitter sometimes when invaded by a mask-wearer, but I'm getting over that as I gain experience. But this was more of an innocent question, really. I just wanted to understand why so many people use these in their builds, and there's been a few posted, so I have been enlightened.

Thanks for the responses, folks. I suppose I'll think twice before judging a masked foe (or rather judging them too quickly)!

Oh, and as for there being no good looking helms, I think that completely depends on what your chest piece is. When matched with their proper sets I think the Brass helm is brilliant, the Maiden Hood is pretty slick, and of course the thief/ninja masks are neat too. Pharis' hat also looks pretty suave when worn with the Leather set; put that together with a crossbow and you're pretty much Robert Muldoon: Dark Souls edition. (Yes, I know he didn't use a crossbow or have a pointy hat...he's just cool as hell.)
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:47 am

Juutas wrote:
    Acidic_Cook wrote:Like I said, they need Pinwheel robes and other equipment, other than the helmet. Seriously, I said this in posts in the past, I would wear the mask if I could have the robes and lanterns. I want a forth class of magic to use. Give me Flame/Dark Lantern Powers.

This is true. Actually Pinwheel is a really cool boss, but those masks with full giants or havels just makes my eyes vomit. Pinwheel armor-set FTW! Imagine a spell that makes you split in 3 and 2 of those would be NPCs and one would be the real you and the opponent would be all "WTF!?" the clones could have like 400-500 HP.

I like that. Although it would be better if the cloned versions of you had no health like those of pinwheels. Interesting how the spell they have, the duplication with dark magic, is similar mother dark beast who seems to be the same, and has flaws in his name in many ways.

I want to use the skull lantern for magic. Call me crazy, but I hate Pyromancy as it reminds me of there creators. I want the magic of the Necromancers, not the Chaos. Besides, there spells are different than Pyromancies in many factors, being able to create more than Pyromancy can. Throw different sizes of lantern fireballs, duplovers yourself, create a fire jet, or teleport from one place to another. Would be cool to have.
    ROOSTER330
    ROOSTER330
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by ROOSTER330 Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:51 am

Id rather get beat and not look like every other person in the game than win looking like a jack***. You guys defending the masks, thats cool, wear the mask and kick butt. Just not for me. If Im at a disadvantage not looking like everyone else, so be it.

More power to me when I win with my medium roll bare chested barbarian guy, even if it is less often than your mask wearing havel ninja flipper.
    Dark Souls PRO
    Dark Souls PRO
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Dark Souls PRO Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:52 am

xtal84 wrote:
    Thanks for the responses, folks. I suppose I'll think twice before judging a masked foe (or rather judging them too quickly)!
    If there's two people (or more) and they both run at you at the same time then they're gankers. I don't see how you would think they're gankers otherwise :suspect:
    In other words, if you see a guy and a phantom don't bow unless they do and stay on your toes untill they attack so you know wether they're gankers or not.
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:17 pm

I have actual armor sets that suit the masks. MoC or MoM with SKC Balder gaunts and BI Leggings looks awesome - if I don't wear the mask I wear either the Crown of the great lord, thief mask or nothing at all with it.
    WarriorOfBenOwnage
    WarriorOfBenOwnage
    Regular
    Regular

Post by WarriorOfBenOwnage Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:09 pm

See, the problem with the masks is that functionality-wise, they are three of the only 6 helmets worth using in this game. The other three are the Dusk Crown, and maybe the Crown of the Dark Sun, as well as the Dragon Head. Why? These are the only helms that provide benefits comparable to a ring. Otherwise, you're just getting a pointless piece of armor, simply for originality, because you're not going to get enough poise or defense from a helmet to make it worth it. You can put a mask on any character, and make it better. That's why they are so widely prevalent. It's just not a good balance situation. Add that to the fact that you can get a mask really early if you want, and bam, everyone is wearing them from the moment they first go through the Catacombs.
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:21 pm

Idk. the big hat provides some pretty sweet magic defence (and an invisible +5 to badass)
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:37 pm

It's mostly min/maxers who feel it more important to stretch their abilities to their utmost full potential than to have fun with their character or actually learn how to manage their stats.

Some people like them aesthetically.

And I'd say an even smaller amount wear them practically.

I don't think the masks are automatically a sign of a ganker, but nine times out of ten they're stacking MotF with Havel's Ring or the Dark Wood Grain Ring (which I refuse to use in its entirety, it's so game-breaking) or MotC with GC Shield and/or the Cauliflower Ring (I forget what it's actually called) and/or a pop of Green Blossom, or lastly they're lame Vit builds using lightning weapons and MotM-ing it up.

And oh, how much more fun it makes it to kill them with my Falchion and Composite Bow in my Wanderer's Set!
    ROOSTER330
    ROOSTER330
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by ROOSTER330 Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:41 pm

JohnnyHarpoon wrote:

I don't think the masks are automatically a sign of a ganker, but nine times out of ten they're stacking MotF with Havel's Ring or the Dark Wood Grain Ring (which I refuse to use in its entirety, it's so game-breaking) or MotC with GC Shield and/or the Cauliflower Ring (I forget what it's actually called) and/or a pop of Green Blossom, or lastly they're lame Vit builds using lightning weapons and MotM-ing it up.

And oh, how much more fun it makes it to kill them with my Falchion and Composite Bow in my Wanderer's Set!

I absolutely agree! Even if I lose more often sporting something not as effective, but thats more my own, Its worth it when I do win
    WarriorOfBenOwnage
    WarriorOfBenOwnage
    Regular
    Regular

Post by WarriorOfBenOwnage Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:54 pm

ROOSTER330 wrote:I absolutely agree! Even if I lose more often sporting something not as effective, but thats more my own, Its worth it when I do win

I agree with this as well. Originality will always trump a small amount of functionality for me. But, different strokes for different folks. I can see why someone would rock a family mask.
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ZikoLogiKa NL Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:57 pm

I agree with this as well. Originality will always trump a small amount of functionality for me

Yeah I can't even push myself to play with a character that doesn't exactly look the way I want it , some armor pieces ''clip'' into eachother in an awkward or ugly way , I don't even want that :roll:
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:18 am

Sacrificing functionality to be "different" isn't logical. No matter what you do, someone else has already done it.

I'm not telling you to wear the masks, but "originality" is a lame excuse. Just say you don't like them, the reason is irrelevant.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:30 am

All the masks are ugly, and none go with any other armours imo. hence I dont use them. When i pick armour I look into 3 things, in this order - Looks, poise, weight. The mask are used by most people as the benefits they provide outweigh the little defence you lose.
    WarriorOfBenOwnage wrote:See, the problem with the masks is that
    functionality-wise, they are three of the only 6 helmets worth using in
    this game. The other three are the Dusk Crown, and maybe the Crown of
    the Dark Sun, as well as the Dragon Head. Why? These are the only helms
    that provide benefits comparable to a ring. Otherwise, you're just
    getting a pointless piece of armor, simply for originality, because
    you're not going to get enough poise
    or defense from a helmet to make it
    worth it. You can put a mask on any character, and make it better.
    That's why they are so widely prevalent. It's just not a good balance
    situation. Add that to the fact that you can get a mask really early if
    you want, and bam, everyone is wearing them from the moment they first
    go through the Catacombs.
    You are wrong there. Helmets certainly help you get the poise you need. The problem is the MoF simply allows you to put on armour with mor poise and have a little extra bonus weight to spare so yoou dont realis eit.
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:18 am

Part of the problem as I see it with armor is that it is easier to get X amount of poise with Y amount of weight allowance by putting one slot of really heavy armor on (eg havels) whereas I think that 2 pieces of lighter armor adding to a similar weight should really have a noticeably greater poise value.
    ROOSTER330
    ROOSTER330
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by ROOSTER330 Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:26 am

Forum Pirate wrote:Sacrificing functionality to be "different" isn't logical. No matter what you do, someone else has already done it.

I'm not telling you to wear the masks, but "originality" is a lame excuse. Just say you don't like them, the reason is irrelevant.

Isnt logical? It isnt life or death my friend. Its a game. Played to be fun. For some of us, the abundance of the masks takes away from the fun. And I am just saying I dont like them, the reason may be irrelevant to YOU, but if thats so, dont read this thread buddy happy.
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:53 am

Dough - I strongly disagree, I have found one armor set that two of the masks go well with actually wait - a normal Knight Helm just goes well with that set more but I still prefer my Dusk Crown or no helm xD mainly because I lack the end to wear the knight helm - I may rebuild this toon just so I can wear it -_-
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:52 am

Sometimes you need 3-5 more points of poise, and the right helm can be the perfect solution for a player without forcing him/her to completely do away with an armor set-up they liked.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:56 pm

I prefer wearing helms, if just for the looks and poise, which is where helms come in handy. If I didn't wear the Royal helm on my FH I would have to wear havel's gauntlets and leggings to meet poise, and they have lower defense than my black iron. If I really need stamina regen I'll just eat grass, the bonus with that is just crazy compared to the mask. I also wear the ring of fap with 50 vitality, so i have enough health, and now that my endurance is 66 I don't need the mask of the father usually.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am