Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
zzombieboy
WyrmHero
Fotitudo
7 posters

Need advice for my Pyro-Mage

Fotitudo
    Addicted
    Addicted

Need advice for my Pyro-Mage  Empty Need advice for my Pyro-Mage

Post by Fotitudo Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:26 pm

Hey guys, after a long time stalking this Forum i decided to join the community happy
    First of all, im german. So my english is far away to be perfect, so feel free and correct my grammar ^_^

So in general i need some tipps from experienced PvP´s, but i start with my new Build.
    I dont want to play in turnaments or something, so i aim the SL around 125-135, just to get some PvP action against experienced and most of the recent players.

Vit: ~ 40-45
    Att: 23 - to get six spell slots
    End: ~ 40-45
    Str: 16 to wield my Moonlight Greatsword
    Dex: 11
    Res: 8
    Int: 45-50
    Fth: 8

this will be my stats, maybe more Dex for faster casting. (it isnt finished, and i didnt calculate my Sl / Stats!)
    I tried a Dex/Int with buffing, but it doesnt fit my playstyle, i want always be a threat, not for 60 sec. ...

Also my equip will be Crown of Dusk, i have a male character.. I HATE THIS THING ... but its soo good :/
    Body Armor, nothing special, i just want high poise + style + medium roll.
    Rings: RofP, its standart, a buff with 20% on 3 Stats is better than anything
    Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, high damage for my spells and pyromancie winking

Weapons.
    RH: Moonlight Greatsword, it looks awesome, pure Magic damage and the special attack, if timed and used correctly, it owns!
    Logans/ Tin Cryst. Catalyst, most time Logans, because i only have 4 Soul Spears (not stacked) and i want to use them more than 2 times...

LH: Silver Knight Shield, Crest Shield, Black Knight Shield, Grass Crest Shield
    Pyro Flame +5

my spells are the following:
    - 2x Crystal Soul Spear (atm 1x first playthrough)
    - 1x Crystal Homing Soulmass
    - 1x Great Combustion
    - 1x Great Fireball/ Great Chaos Fireball (which one is the most efficient?)
    - 1x Fire Tempest

So my question is, in which order should i place them? Currently i plan is, Great Combustion, Cast Homing Soulmass, Soul Spear, Fire Tempest and then Chaos Fireball -> Great Combustion.
    Good idea?

And my Armor... should i play with 0 Poise (got a beast outfit happy ) and have fast roll, or around 50-60 Poise with medium roll?
    Btw. no way for the dark wood ring, if i wear steel on my char, he shouldnt flip like a female Ninja on period .. Bellowing <3 Great Combustion 600-750 Damage, nuff said.

Oh you may wonder why i want (maybe) 50 Int? In PvE i love the Dragon Breath, i manage Tomb of the Giants alone, and got all my mighty Spells for Nito winking Every host loves me haha

And if you have gernerally tipps for a mage, pyromancer, please share them with me!

And please mods/admins, change my name in " Fortitudo" ... i forgot the "r" :/ ...

8)
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Need advice for my Pyro-Mage  Empty Re: Need advice for my Pyro-Mage

Post by WyrmHero Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:51 pm

45 Dex instead of 40~45 End.
    Fotitudo
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Fotitudo Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:01 pm

without using any dex weapon? ...

Int also 45?
    zzombieboy
    zzombieboy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by zzombieboy Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:02 pm

Hi Praise the Sun

Cast Homing Soulmass first. It keeps people at bay while you cast your heavier spells. I think HCM, Fire Tempest then CSS would be pretty funny. They'd be dodging around like chipmunks on acid silly The act of avoiding the HCM might also make them walk into your firestorm if they didn't notice you were casting it in time.

For casting, I always say go with fast roll/ninja flip, since there will be occasions when you get charged during a spell cast, and you need to be able to roll off quickly, especially if you have little or no poise so you don't get stunlocked. Using the bellowing ring and crown of dusk suggests you like pure caster. If thats the case, drop endurance to increase your vitality, or put some into dex.

My suggestions for a focused caster -http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=3584104154138768

For a Battlemage - http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=4064750714217738

You won't have enough levels for battlemage with dex. It's also not really possible to have 45 dex with a focused caster without sacrificing vit.

As for tips, don't expect all your spells to hit, and don't get frustrated when they don't. Just learn when to use what. DON'T invade as a darkwraith as a caster build as your HCM targets youreslf and the spells goes haywire. Learn to manually aim some of your spells. Combustion, White Dragon Breath and fireballs are the easiest to use manually, so if you're not confident with manual aiming practice with these happy
    Fotitudo
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Fotitudo Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:23 pm

Oh wow thank you, ill give the Homing Soulmass + Fire Tempest thing a try happy sounds pretty funny

Its everything fine, but with the first build i dont understand the 25 points in dex ... i thought the faster casting starts at 30 and ends with 45.
    And i dont know if the 1- 1.5second faster casting, really matters that much ...

And when i start PvPing, i always go for an Mage-like char. So some things i know about magic and stuff. I just learn how to aim my spells free and how to place them^^

and ill try to mix armor of thorns + dark armor + paladin armor + dark wood grain without RoFaP, but with 40-45 Vit and Dex haha happy
    zzombieboy
    zzombieboy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by zzombieboy Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Fotitudo wrote:Oh wow thank you, ill give the Homing Soulmass + Fire Tempest thing a try happy sounds pretty funny

Its everything fine, but with the first build i dont understand the 25 points in dex ... i thought the faster casting starts at 30 and ends with 45.
    And i dont know if the 1- 1.5second faster casting, really matters that much ...

And when i start PvPing, i always go for an Mage-like char. So some things i know about magic and stuff. I just learn how to aim my spells free and how to place them^^

and ill try to mix armor of thorns + dark armor + paladin armor + dark wood grain without RoFaP, but with 40-45 Vit and Dex haha happy

Sorry, forgot to say the dex is for Velka's rapier, which is a great alternative to MLGS if you have low endurance. It will still scale with dex after your int is at 50.

The faster casting time really does make a difference if you're only using spells. I always go all out spells with mage builds, and so have 45 dex and crap vit accordingly (I supplement with RoFaP and stay under 25%). Got a feeling that wasn't what you wanted though silly
    Fotitudo
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Fotitudo Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:54 pm

I tryed Velkas Rapier, its pretty cool, but i cant win with the pokey pokey weapons, Balder Side sword was okay, but then i switched to my Moonlight, the dead angle and Ahhh awesomeness happy

And actually i must say, Moonlight + Great Combustion in my left hand, is pretty sweet. Most players try to parry my Moonlight... ah i mean my GC >happy

Hmm i think i make my Char, like your example, the Battlemage.

Hell i have an godlike char, Faith + Int, with Darkwood Grain Ring, Ornstein, Giants and Paladin Mix. Got pretty good results, but in my opinion the Flip Ring makes the PvP aspect broken ...

And one other thing, which cov. should i join for PvP? As an Darkmoon i find NO game! ... Forest Hunter gangbangin isnt really fun, Darkwraith got the Homing Bug ... and yeah, for an Gravelord i cant finish the Game.. and when i join Path of the Dragon, everyone thinks im a Glitcher ... :/
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:07 pm

DARKWRAITH!!!
    zzombieboy
    zzombieboy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by zzombieboy Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:10 pm

Yeah, the Homing bug is a real pain in the *** because obviously with limited spells you'd rather invade than host and have to keep running back to the bonfire after every invader or 2 to refresh your spells. I don't know what they haven't patched this.

You can cast the HCM really close to your opponent and it will target them, or roll around a lot after casting it to get it to fire better, but that leaves you open to oh so many backstabs lol.

Your options;

1. Accept that HCM just isn't going to work. Suck it up and join the darkwraiths and just use it as a distraction

2. Invade as darkmoon, and host PvP near a bonfire (eg outside darkroot, demon ruins, anor londo) to increase your PvP chances.

Neither or great though
    Fotitudo
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Fotitudo Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:24 pm

Hmm i got 99 Red Eye Orbs (glitched..) so i dont have to join Darkwraith, i got everything Armor and the Sword. Hmm maybe i fight PvP´s as a Sunbrophantom or as a host ... :/
    Hope From release soon a Patch against gliches and bugs (hope exept the BB and items dupe one)
    So today i was in the forest with my Sl 76 Char (this one) and got an invasion, okay i was prepared for everything, and then a second invader behind me. So i was running, to get some space, the first one was buffing a Black Knight Halberd with Dark Moonblade ... i poke, dead. Over 970 dmg ...
    Fotitudo
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Fotitudo Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:07 pm

Some thoughts? ...
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Buffing a Black Knight Halberd?
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:51 am

For spell order, I like this:

HCSM > Great Fireball > Great Combustion > CSS

The first HCSM is just a distraction. You want your opponent to roll to avoid your HCSM, then aim your fireball at the end of their roll for an easy hit. Then, by that time, they'll probably be pretty close to you, so you can hit them with great combustion. Once it hits, you don't want to stay so close, so take a few rolls back and try and hit them with a CSS. After the first round, try and connect with HCSM on your second round. The trick is to face away from your opponent, until you want to set the spell off. Then face them and you'll greatly increase the chance of your spell hitting. Even better when you roll toward your enemy to set off the HCSM, but you'll need to get used to the optimal timing and distance when you should initiate your roll. Master HCSM, great fireballs, and GCs, and you'll crush people as a pyro-mage!

As for equipment/ stats, my recommendations are:

- Fast roll
    - Crown of Dusk & Bellowing Dragoncrest ring, obviously
    - Catalyst in left hand, pyro glove in right hand, dual wielding.
    - Keep a backup melee weapon in your second right hand slot (I recommend Velka's Rapier) but you shouldn't ever need to use it.
    - High Attunment is a great stats investment for a mage.

I think that's about it... You want to be extremely mobile, avoid getting hit at all costs. As for offensive strategies, you want to keep your opponent guessing. Alternate between sorcery and pyro spells to confuse your enemy, and dual wield them so your opponent won't know which one will come next. As you get more comfortable with the play style, and managing a bunch of different spells, you can attune more than the 4 I mentioned above. Start with those until you can mix in some more. The more spells you can handle, the more you'll keep your opponent guessing, which increases your chances of hitting. I'd recommend at least 34 attunment (8 slots) for more spells, but 7 slots will do to start.

Try something like this: http://tinyurl.com/7xsa629

Final comment: if you want to try out something really cool, use chameleon once in a while. It'll break your opponent's lock-on, so use it to surprise them! Strafe around them, cast chameleon to send them walking in the wrong direction, then cast another spell to catch them while they're off guard!
    AHK-HK
    AHK-HK

Post by AHK-HK Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:09 pm

This is my int/pyro very fun to play. Also in the comments I add a way do obtain WDB as well.
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=1832070988405891
    Fotitudo
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Fotitudo Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:56 pm

Okay i changed my build.
    Vit: 35 - maybe 40
    Att: 28
    End: 30
    Str: 16
    Dex: 40
    Res: 8
    Int: 44

Soul Level 130, with 40 Vit 135.
    Able to fast roll, but with all my magic power. Hope this works ..

One question, should i make my End down to 25? Good idea, but im using the Moonlight Greatsword ...
    Fth: 8
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:37 pm

In my opinion, you need more Vit. But you can't, because you're rally spreading yourself thin. Pyro/ Mage is one thing, and it can be a great setup, and definitely a lot of fun. But trying to make a Pyro/ Spell-Sword is asking for a lot. Look at it this way:

Pyro: requires Att, and ideally Dex

Mage: requires Att, Int, and ideally Dex

MLGS: requires End, Int, and Str

Pyro and Mage combine well, because they both benefit from the same Att and Dex stats, and adding Int on top makes 3 stats, which is a good spread. But to add only the MLGS on top of that, you need to add 2 more stats you didn't need before; End (a lot of) and Str (a little). Not only does it spread your stats, it's also overkill. You don't need pyro, sorcery spells, and a greatsword on top of it. Pyro and sorcery are more than enough to win a duel, and you could throw Velka's rapier on top just in case, since it also benefits from Dex and Int, and doesn't require a lot of End (it's light, so doesn't take much equip weight, doesn't take much stamina to attack with, and is an excellent weapon for lightly armored builds with low poise--I wouldn't exactly say the same of the MLGS).

If you really want the MLGS, then you could make a Spellsword (End, Int, bit of Str) and forget about pyro (so you cut out some Att, and remove Dex). Or you could go Pyro-Mage (Att, Int, Dex). But pyro-spellsword is a lot...

So you have a couple options:

- You could split it into 2 builds: pyro-mage, and spellsword.
    - You could go even higher level, in which case a pyro-spellsword would work.
    - Or you could simply keep your existing build, and drop the Dex (easiest solution, actually!).

Just my advice!
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:12 pm

yeah, thats what i thought. well at least peoplee are really helpful here and they post their tips and tricks all the time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 am