Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
DoughGuy
Shkar
skarekrow13
JoeBroski09
DissidentCitizen
9 posters

Gwyn: What, Why, and How

DissidentCitizen
    DissidentCitizen
    Casual
    Casual

Gwyn: What, Why, and How Empty Gwyn: What, Why, and How

Post by DissidentCitizen Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:46 am

Long-time lurker. I've read through several topics but I don't know that I've seen this addressed fully:

What exactly is Gwyn doing in the Kiln? Why did he stay there? Why is he hollow now? And just why, exactly, do we have to kill him and re-link the fire if he's already maintaining it? To remove the Curse of the Dark Sign?

If this HAS been debated in depth, please send me in the right direction and I'll delete this thread to save some room.

Thanks!
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Gwyn: What, Why, and How Empty Re: Gwyn: What, Why, and How

Post by JoeBroski09 Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:40 pm

Idk where it has been talked about in depth specifically, but its been discussed here and there. Here's an abridged version of all ive read.

He is in the kiln because he linked the flame, offering all his humanity to light the kiln, extending the age of fire. Pretty much an act of desperation. He became the lord of cinder, instead of the lord of the sun. Because he became a shell of his previous self. I cant imagine how cruel FROM would have had to be to send us against his former self. Man, he'd be one powerful dude. He pretty much attacks any undead, because they are his enemy. All of them. Because he has no idea his son has been tricking the chosen undead to link the flame. He doeant know his former companion may have tricked the chosen undead to link the flame. He couldnt know. Because if this, we dont know if he's sane or not. He could be completely sane. Who knows?

He is not hollow. He is also not undead. He is not branded. He just gave all his humanity to link the flame. He does not use the fragments of the dark soul called humanity. The humanity we have and the humanity humans have are different. Think of the undead kind of as a machine, and because of this, we eat oil. The humanity sprites. the humans eat actual food. Real humanity. That they simply have from experience, battle, and life. It measures rhe power of the human. Though, Gwyn is a god, this just shows that he has a LOT of real humanity. He gave it all in order to keep the fires lit.

I think ive answered your questions. Hard to see on my phone. Ask any more if you have any XD

skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:35 pm

Quick version, fire started and dragons ended. Fire starts to go out, gods see bad things coming. Hell breaks loose, Gwyn investigates and realizes fire needs fuel. Gwyn becomes fuel. Fire consumes most of new fuel and hell breaks loose again. We come and decide to be fuel and restart the cycle or let it die and see what happens
    DissidentCitizen
    DissidentCitizen
    Casual
    Casual

Post by DissidentCitizen Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:53 pm

That sucks for Gwyn. Does he have to stay there to maintain the flame, do you suppose?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:35 pm

Yeah. I think so. Hope he brought a good book
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Personally, I think he is like the Bed of Chaos. Nothing but a shell filled with the primal rage of an eternal flame.
    DissidentCitizen
    DissidentCitizen
    Casual
    Casual

Post by DissidentCitizen Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:04 pm

Now there's a thought. Doesn't Fauxwynevere saw something similar?

I find Gwyn to be a fascinating character: battle against chaos, sacrificing self to save the world only to have that sacrifice essentially be in vain.

Tragic, really.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:36 pm

Gwyn was a hero until the people decided they didnt want him anymore. He stays with the flame I believe, because unlike a true firekeeper its much harder for him to keep it lit,. SO he must remain at the flame, drawing humanity for it.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:24 am

DissidentCitizen wrote:Now there's a thought. Doesn't Fauxwynevere saw something similar?

I find Gwyn to be a fascinating character: battle against chaos, sacrificing self to save the world only to have that sacrifice essentially be in vain.

Tragic, really.

The game really is full of them.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:42 am

I can't think of a single non-tragic character off the top of my head....let's give it a minute. Nope. Drawing a blank
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:46 am

skarekrow13 wrote:I can't think of a single non-tragic character off the top of my head....let's give it a minute. Nope. Drawing a blank

Lautrec. Though he plays a big role in another tragic character's story.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:51 am

He's a little tragic I think. Sure of the love from his goddess (which I doubt is accurate but he believes it) he abandons much of his humanity and sanity and quests for murder. In the end he finds cohorts but not friends or companions and is slain, short of his goal and alone
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:54 am

I believe Fina isn't the real God of Love, but the God of Lust. Twisted and corrupted.
    DissidentCitizen
    DissidentCitizen
    Casual
    Casual

Post by DissidentCitizen Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:21 pm

JoeBroski09 wrote:I believe Fina isn't the real God of Love, but the God of Lust. Twisted and corrupted.

As indicated by the arms "twisted" around Lautrec's armor, perhaps?
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:28 pm

Perhaps. But, that's for another thread happy
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:44 pm

Gwyn sacrificed his Lord Souls(witch gave him his power) to light the the Flame scorching all of the kiln and destroyed Gwyn in the process with out his Souls he became nothing but a Guarding to the Flame attacking everything in sight to protect the flame. hope thats all the info you need
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:59 am

JoeBroski09 wrote:I believe Fina isn't the real God of Love, but the God of Lust. Twisted and corrupted.

Oh yeah I like my goddesses corrupted.
    BishopHavel
    BishopHavel
    Regular
    Regular

Post by BishopHavel Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:57 pm

The DLC is in the past, right? What if Gwynn is one of the bosses, but that he is still young and juicy. That would be awesome.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:02 pm

He would just ohko us...
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:25 pm

For the record, Gwyn in the cinematics throws Sunlight Spears, as fast as we use combustion. He can limitlessly use them. As well he would be faster, and stronger, and more adept and adaptable. Pretty much imagine fighting Zeus on steroids.

By the way an interesting note some might not realize, Gwyn's chest plate is a Primordial Serpent, take a look at it. Note that as I mentioned in the Outside Sources thread, the serpents are related to Falak, and Al-Falaaq of the Qu'ran. This serpent is Satan in the Qu'ran and tempts Jesus to fall. There is a carving in the church where you find the Gargoyles and Berinike Knight. This carving depicts a Shepard, and old bearded man surrounded by animals, one a lion possibly another a wolf. He is tempting her with an apple, the holder of a child. The temptation by apple or fruit, something of satan tempting Eve in the Garden of Eden. This being always brought Gwyn to mind, a leader followed by animal charges, his knights. What could this mean? A whole lot of things with crazy leaps and bounds.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:01 am

Tolvo wrote:For the record, Gwyn in the cinematics throws Sunlight Spears, as fast as we use combustion. He can limitlessly use them. As well he would be faster, and stronger, and more adept and adaptable. Pretty much imagine fighting Zeus on steroids.

By the way an interesting note some might not realize, Gwyn's chest plate is a Primordial Serpent, take a look at it. Note that as I mentioned in the Outside Sources thread, the serpents are related to Falak, and Al-Falaaq of the Qu'ran. This serpent is Satan in the Qu'ran and tempts Jesus to fall. There is a carving in the church where you find the Gargoyles and Berinike Knight. This carving depicts a Shepard, and old bearded man surrounded by animals, one a lion possibly another a wolf. He is tempting her with an apple, the holder of a child. The temptation by apple or fruit, something of satan tempting Eve in the Garden of Eden. This being always brought Gwyn to mind, a leader followed by animal charges, his knights. What could this mean? A whole lot of things with crazy leaps and bounds.

That's an interesting note, but as a bit of trivia there's actually a decent chance that the serpent in Genesis is NOT Satan. That's apparently a topic for a fair amount of debate.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:08 am

Yeah that is another concept, the argument is more often that it is not lucifer because Satan and Lucifer are different entities despite modern belief.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:10 am

Tolvo wrote:Yeah that is another concept, the argument is more often that it is not lucifer because Satan and Lucifer are different entities despite modern belief.

Yeah, I'm by no means a religious nut. I get most of my knowledge on the religious "debates" and inaccuracies from cracked.com, so take what I say with a grain of salt happy
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:12 am

I'm a theology nut for the record, not a religious one. silly

There are many debates, but the thing is that any temptation in the bible is considered Satan. So the temptation of the serpent even if it isn't actually Satan, is acting as an avatar of Satan.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:33 am

Tolvo wrote:I'm a theology nut for the record, not a religious one. silly

There are many debates, but the thing is that any temptation in the bible is considered Satan. So the temptation of the serpent even if it isn't actually Satan, is acting as an avatar of Satan.

Yeah, I phrased that awfully, but even the phrasing I used describes me silly

Good old bible, all the temptation is attributed to Satan and we don't even know what he looks like...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm