Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Rynn
ZikoLogiKa NL
Domassus
8 posters

Making a Dragonoid! Is what I want to achieve impossible?

Domassus
    Domassus
    Casual
    Casual

Making a Dragonoid! Is what I want to achieve impossible? Empty Making a Dragonoid! Is what I want to achieve impossible?

Post by Domassus Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:56 am

Hello!

While now may be one of the most controversial times to make a dragonoid character with the current poison knife throwing machine guns that are plaguing the burg and kiln for some, but I've never done it and want to give it a shot. 8) I have quite a few ideas for what I would like as a core for my character to be built from, but I'm having some trouble making it work and wondered if maybe someone with a bit more experience with a dragonoid can assist me.

So far I'm up to this, but only in theory. It seems fairly standard from my small scale research attempts into these characters that dropping a large number of your points into vitality is almost essential for your survival, as you most likely will have 0 poise sad . This works for me though as I'd love to incorporate the red tearstone ring into this build, which is another item I have very limited playtime with. I was also thinking it would make for an interesting character if I could also have Power Within on an unupgraded pyro flame. The last thing I was looking at was the dragon greatsword. I can't help but NEED to use this weapon on this build tongue . The R2 on this thing pretty much makes me wet every time I see it (anyone got any experience on how hard that R2 hit with RTR on? I can only imagine it's somewhere between bus and freight train). These are pretty much my only requirements thus far. I've put together this: http://tinyurl.com/775xpsm.

Edit: Just noticed link has DKGA. Was just experimenting. Still like the sword better.

Summary of my thoughts thus far:
    -Requirements for build are Dragon Greatsword and Red Tearstone Ring. These are mainly the 2 items I want to use.
    -Mid Roll...I'd love fast roll, but that greatsword is sooo heavy. Am I just doomed to switching out the FaP ring with darkwood grain?
    -Is swapping in the lingering dragoncrest ring worth it for when I cast Power Within?
    -Is my shield choice OK? I was debating the grass crest, but figured the Bloodshield would be 10 times better seeing as my lack of armor set-up (loldragons) offers 0 to my resists. Plus there's always grass. Delicious.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. I also apologize that this post may seem slightly disorganized.
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Making a Dragonoid! Is what I want to achieve impossible? Empty Re: Making a Dragonoid! Is what I want to achieve impossible?

Post by ZikoLogiKa NL Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:35 am

Well the machine-gunners are dragon-headstone users , not full dragonoids so people will have no prejudice against you for that. cheers

The lingering dragoncrest ring does not affect the damage output from your weapon after casting power within because it is a set percentage that is being added to your attack-rate.

If you wish to have stamina regeneration while having power within active , you would have to use the GC shield because you can't chew on grass at the same time., you can't have to 2 ''body'' effects active at the same moment.

Im sorry ., I have never had a dragonoid before so I can't give you any real advice :|
    Domassus
    Domassus
    Casual
    Casual

Making a Dragonoid! Is what I want to achieve impossible? Empty Re: Making a Dragonoid! Is what I want to achieve impossible?

Post by Domassus Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:52 am

Good point on the 2 body effects. I forgot about that completely. I'm usually pretty decent with stamina management and generally only use the increased regen as a buffer I feel. I'll probably give it a shot both ways. I can't see katanas being fun to deal with at all with 0 bleed resist.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:17 am

Power Within has a stamina regen, you don't need any other stamina boosts, including a green blossom.
    I'd reccomend going for 25% weight on a dragonoid, you don't want a slot wasted on DWGR.
    The Dragon Greatsword fully upped did about 620 damage with it's special attack for me. I did not have any power boosts... meanwile you will have a X2 multiplier on your AR when you do it. As AR has increasing returns, I'd imagine you'll get around 1370 damage; this is a guess, and not personally tested. Bear in mind, the dragon roar increases damage by 25%, it's a dead giveaway that you plan to attack, but look into it.
    Domassus
    Domassus
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Domassus Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:26 am

Thanks for your reply. That was the initial plan actually. RTR, Power Within, Dragon Roar, Dragon GreatSword R2, and many giggles hopefully on my end. I guess it's almost a shock and awe build. Any decent player will of course dodge the R2, but that time it hits... I'm encountering the problem that the Dragon Greatsword though is just too damn heavy. I can't get below 25% weight unless I dump an absurd amount of points into endurance. Do you have any recommendations or making it work without the DWGR, or should I abandon the Dragon Greatsword?
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:34 am

http://tinyurl.com/7ehmekw
    The havels ring is one of the most under-apreciated rings in the entire game... generally because the DWGR does everything it does better. Except for roll attack to be honest.
    Domassus
    Domassus
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Domassus Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:21 am

Very true point. Have a character now that actually uses Havel's that I put on hold. It's still essentially just swapping one ring for another in my eyes. I'll probably end up doing it just because it does save me some potential stat points and I prefer the fast roll animation over the ninja flip (only visually though honestly). I'll probably use Havel's as well in case there's ever a time I'm actually not in the dragon body form so I can wear gear.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:21 am

I like Havel's if it gives me fast roll, not if it's giving me mid roll.

As a matter of fact, I'm working on a toon at this very moment who uses Havel's in lieu of the DWGR, and I'm loving it. It's a lifesaver, at this point if I have mid roll I feel so slow I cannot stand it. Don't even get me started on fat roll.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:41 am

IMO you should use the wolf ring. Especially if you’re using a big weapon. You’ll be stunned by everything. And stunlocked by almost everything that’s 2h. And since the specials of the dragon weapons are so slow you will almost never hit anyone with them, because they will hit you once and you’ll be stunned.
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ZikoLogiKa NL Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:35 pm

yeah Spurgun is right ,

I would also really recommend wearing the Wolf Ring , it is quite essential while wearing cloths or being in dragon form.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:19 pm

what level are you shooting for? cause a favor ring would do your health good, and at 40 end you'll have max stamina for dodging and be able to fast roll with your heavy weapon, i'd also suggest using the dragon axe on occasion just cause it has a nice aoe effect.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:34 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:what level are you shooting for? cause a favor ring would do your health good, and at 40 end you'll have max stamina for dodging and be able to fast roll with your heavy weapon, i'd also suggest using the dragon axe on occasion just cause it has a nice aoe effect.

He said he wanted to use the RTS. That would make him choose between wolfs and fap.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:55 pm

40 poise won't save you from the popular pvp weapons, but both are good options, since with the fap ring he has about 3 more attacks or dodges than normal.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:22 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:40 poise won't save you from the popular pvp weapons, but both are good options, since with the fap ring he has about 3 more attacks or dodges than normal.

He will be stunlocked by spears, curved swords, scythes/halberds, hammers, axes, rapiers, regular swords, katanas. :|
    Domassus
    Domassus
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Domassus Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:23 am

So many useful replies! Thank you all so much! I'm going to try and address everything you guys have said and give my thoughts on each.

Spurgun wrote:IMO you should use the wolf ring.
    If only I could tell you how I truly feel about this sentiment. I love the Wolf ring far more that I can explain I almost feel. I personally think the Wolf ring is one of the most underrated rings in the game. My dex/pyro character currently uses this ring and the catarina guantlets to hit the 53 poise breakpoint. It's very fun using this and wearing he hollow thief set on top of this and fast rolling. I will consider using the Wolf ring if I find the 0 poise to present a major problem. I understand that by having 0 poise absolutely everything will stagger me in one blow, but I've still definitely heard a fair number of success stories at 0 poise still. Plus the challenge sounds entertaining to me.

ZikoLogiKa NL wrote:yeah Spurgun is right ,

I would also really recommend wearing the Wolf Ring , it is quite essential while wearing cloths or being in dragon form.
    Thank you for your thoughts as well. See above as that is also directed to you and many thanks again!

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:what level are you shooting for? cause a favor ring would do your health good, and at 40 end you'll have max stamina for dodging and be able to fast roll with your heavy weapon, i'd also suggest using the dragon axe on occasion just cause it has a nice aoe effect.
    120-125 the standard pretty much. I've put on a FaP ring in the calculator quite a few times and yes I agree it's a phenomenal ring. It's always been a strong choice in my eyes. The problem comes with getting a fast roll while using this ring. While it does increase equip load, nothing will ever beat the fact that both the DKGA and DGS weigh 24 pounds. If I was going to run with a FaP ring my loadout would look something like this: http://tinyurl.com/83czt4k. Give or take a few points in attunement in case I decide to pick up another pyromancy (Flash Sweat maybe?). Also definitely will try out the DKGA at your recommendation. Thank you for your input!

Spurgun wrote:
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:40 poise won't save you from the popular pvp weapons, but both are good options, since with the fap ring he has about 3 more attacks or dodges than normal.

He will be stunlocked by spears, curved swords, scythes/halberds, hammers, axes, rapiers, regular swords, katanas. :|
    Post is getting a bit long so going to seal these two up in one go! As stated, 40 poise won't save me completely from a large number of weapons. That said I think Spurgun's thoughts on the Wolf ring still hold a very significant amount of merit, as if I'm not mistaken, it does only take 31 poise to withstand a 1 handed hit from a large number of these weapons (notably I believe spears, katanas, and maybe even halberds?). I would love to see a recommendation on a build that uses the Wolf ring. If I was putting one together myself I would most likely just cave and drop the RTR. Thank you both for your inputs once again.

Phew, thank you again everyone. I am currently looking at potentially just making this character a bit of an odd one and possibly adding a good 10 or so extra points much like the build I posted earlier into endurance just to sneak by with a FaP ring and fast roll.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:37 am

http://tinyurl.com/7q3f8el - What about this? When your health gets low you hotswap wolfs for RTS. Since you would likely die from 1-2 hits anyway.
    Jovias-86
    Jovias-86
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Jovias-86 Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:39 am

Take ^ That advice my friend...
    Best advice on draganoids you could possibly get winking
    Domassus
    Domassus
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Domassus Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:40 am

Thanks a lot guys! Looks like that's probably what I will end up doing. Most likely just switch the item order so they're right next to each other for extreme switching.
    GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:21 am

Domassus wrote:Thanks a lot guys! Looks like that's probably what I will end up doing. Most likely just switch the item order so they're right next to each other for extreme switching.

I thought I'd take the chance to welcome you to the fourms if you havent already been welcomed .

This is the build I like to go around trolling for some laughs with.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=2007550826144816

P.s florida heat has sucked these past week or two.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:22 am

GkMrBane wrote:P.s florida heat has sucked these past week or two.

hear, hear.

I'm melting away.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am