Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
Serious_Much
JoeBroski09
Ahhotep1
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Reaperfan
DoughGuy
dancash1808
ublug
FattyOfDoom
skarekrow13
JohnIII
15 posters

Are you realy the chosen undead?

JohnIII
    JohnIII
    Casual
    Casual

Are you realy the chosen undead? Empty Are you realy the chosen undead?

Post by JohnIII Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:58 pm

The thing is, that the knight from the undead asylum was the one who was tasked to ring the bells of awaikening not you. So in a sence he was the chosen one and you just stole his place.

But then the primordial serpent said that you are the pygmy's descendent, so are you chosen as the dark lord but not as gwyn's heir? I am confuse.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Are you realy the chosen undead? Empty Re: Are you realy the chosen undead?

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:00 pm

All humans likely descended from the pygmy and the real slim shady aka chosen undead is just whoever finishes the quest
    FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by FattyOfDoom Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:57 pm

I belive there is no "Chosen" undead. They all just try, and whoever passes is the Dark Lord/FireKeeper.
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:58 am

I also believe the Estus Flask is an important key to being the chosen undead, since it's linked to the fire keepers, and none of the other npcs have one. The undead can imitate it, but as far as we know only one true Estus Flask exists.
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:22 am

ublug, dont most undead have one...? and it is in its description talked about as something common. "treasure these flasks"
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:59 am

Most of the common hollows have a flask, but none of the npcs (at least they don't use it). Why do we only receive it as a gift, and why won't the other npcs us it, if it is so common?
    The 'imitation' was for kindling, not estus, sorry.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:03 am

It is odd. Balder knights have one and there are human balder knights in the parish (they are all burnt dead bodies) suggesting they havent been undead that long, or if they have they didnt come from somewhere before it happened.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:09 am

The most common theory I've heard about this is that any Undead who manages to ring both Bells of Awakening is granted the title of "Chosen Undead." It's not really that you've been selected by fate or anything, just that you were the first one most capable or lucky enough to actually do it. In reality it's a meaningless title, most likely as a motivating tool to make people more willing to continue the quest for Gwyndolin. There could have been hundreds of "Chosen Undead" before you, but you just happened to be the first to be able to see the journey all the way through.

As to the second point about the Pygmy's descendant, there's a whole briarpatch of explanation to be done there. I could type out a couple more paragraphs but that seems kind of redundant when it's probably already been explained somewhere else on these forums. (though if someone wants me to I guess I could give the explanation a shot lol! )
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:15 am

Speech! Speech!
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:53 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Speech! Speech!

Well since you twisted my arm so much I guess I have no choice winking

Also keep in mind this is mostly my personal theories mixed in with other speculation. Unless something is specifically stated in-game it is speculation and not fact, so keep that in mind. Anyway...

The Darksign brands the Undead. The Undead sustain themselves off of Humanity. Humanity is contained in dark sprites. The Pygmy was the progenitor of humanity. The Pygmy was the possesor of the Dark Soul. It was the Pygmy's goal to preserve it's own power in secret and wait for the other Lord Souls' power to waver, at which time it would rise from hiding and usher in the Age of Dark. Given all this, I am of the belief that all Undead are descendants of the Pygmy, with Humanity being actual shards of the Dark Soul. Think of it similarly to how Gwyn split his soul into parts for Seath and the Four Kings, only the Pygmy did it across an entire species so as to more easily hide himself.

When it came time for the Pygmy's plan to enact itself and Gwyn's power was beginning to fade, the human descendants of the Pygmy started to react in the form of the Darksign, forcing them to continually search out shards of and reassemble the Dark Soul. The one who managed to reassemble enough would eventually gather enough collective power to overtake Gwyn.

When the Undead came into being, Gwyn realized something was wrong and began locking them away so that they could not act. However, he slowly was fading away, and at the point where he was no longer able to act on his own is when Gwyndolin took over. Gwyndolin, working together with Frampt, established "The Quest For the Lordvessel" and the promise of succeeding Gwyn as a guise to distract any potential Dark Lords from overtaking Gwyn's legacy by tricking them into reigniting Gwyn's power instead of overtaking it.

And here is where the player comes in. Being Undead, you are a descendant of the Pygmy and so are one of many who are unknowingly tasked with usurping Gwyn. You are told you are Gwyn's heir as a lie to prevent you from accomplishing your true purpose and bringing the Dark Soul into power.

TL;DR: You being Gwyn's heir is a lie, you really are the descendant of the Pygmy and meant to become the Dark Lord.
    Ahhotep1
    Ahhotep1
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Ahhotep1 Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:03 pm

Reaperfan wrote:
    WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Speech! Speech!

Well since you twisted my arm so much I guess I have no choice winking

Also keep in mind this is mostly my personal theories mixed in with other speculation. Unless something is specifically stated in-game it is speculation and not fact, so keep that in mind. Anyway...

The Darksign brands the Undead. The Undead sustain themselves off of Humanity. Humanity is contained in dark sprites. The Pygmy was the progenitor of humanity. The Pygmy was the possesor of the Dark Soul. It was the Pygmy's goal to preserve it's own power in secret and wait for the other Lord Souls' power to waver, at which time it would rise from hiding and usher in the Age of Dark. Given all this, I am of the belief that all Undead are descendants of the Pygmy, with Humanity being actual shards of the Dark Soul. Think of it similarly to how Gwyn split his soul into parts for Seath and the Four Kings, only the Pygmy did it across an entire species so as to more easily hide himself.

When it came time for the Pygmy's plan to enact itself and Gwyn's power was beginning to fade, the human descendants of the Pygmy started to react in the form of the Darksign, forcing them to continually search out shards of and reassemble the Dark Soul. The one who managed to reassemble enough would eventually gather enough collective power to overtake Gwyn.

When the Undead came into being, Gwyn realized something was wrong and began locking them away so that they could not act. However, he slowly was fading away, and at the point where he was no longer able to act on his own is when Gwyndolin took over. Gwyndolin, working together with Frampt, established "The Quest For the Lordvessel" and the promise of succeeding Gwyn as a guise to distract any potential Dark Lords from overtaking Gwyn's legacy by tricking them into reigniting Gwyn's power instead of overtaking it.

And here is where the player comes in. Being Undead, you are a descendant of the Pygmy and so are one of many who are unknowingly tasked with usurping Gwyn. You are told you are Gwyn's heir as a lie to prevent you from accomplishing your true purpose and bringing the Dark Soul into power.

TL;DR: You being Gwyn's heir is a lie, you really are the descendant of the Pygmy and meant to become the Dark Lord.
    Hence, the third ending that has yet to be found!! Most, now believe there is a third ending...we need to find it!! I like this Reaperfan. winking
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:27 pm

I didnt hear anything about the darksign popping up because they were going to overpass gwyn to establish the age of dark. I just thought it was because the flame started to fade. The same, kinda, but different thoughts.

And that would really go well with shkar's new theory that the undead in the burg are actually sane, to an extent, and are trying to banish you.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:31 pm

The fact is, we all according to the lore play in parallel worlds which are linked due to time distortion. In each of these parallel worlds, there is one chosen undead who rings both the bells (that is the point you become said chosen undead), i.e. your character.

You are really the chosen undead, and the ONLY chosen undead in your world, in other worlds there are other chosen undead, but for all intents and purposes to lore and story, in your world there is only one single chosen undead.

This is at least my theory I've gleamed from playing the game and I'm choosing to stick only to the chosen undead theory, gwyn's heir/dark lord ideology is something that is not made necessary by being chosen undead
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:19 am

Serious_Much wrote:The fact is, we all according to the lore play in parallel worlds which are linked due to time distortion. In each of these parallel worlds, there is one chosen undead who rings both the bells (that is the point you become said chosen undead), i.e. your character.

You are really the chosen undead, and the ONLY chosen undead in your world, in other worlds there are other chosen undead, but for all intents and purposes to lore and story, in your world there is only one single chosen undead.

This is at least my theory I've gleamed from playing the game and I'm choosing to stick only to the chosen undead theory, gwyn's heir/dark lord ideology is something that is not made necessary by being chosen undead

Which is why the single player and multi player fit so well together. It's perfectly okay for your chosen undead to fight mine, because our worlds are separate, but through special means we can temporarily meet up. It's such a cool way to have done things.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:23 pm

Don't the painting guardians use flasks too?

I'm also literal about the chosen undead thing; the cutscene where the giant raven snatches you at the exact moment the narrative says "an Undead shall be chosen" ... to "leave the Undead Asylum, in pilgrimage" is highly suggestive that you are in fact specifically chosen, by the Raven itself if not by some greater power. And then as I understand it you depart your world and enter lordran via the Raven dumping you at firelink. Other players/NPCs can be the chosen from their worlds, and presumably entered Lordran in that or other ways. And then proceed to teabag each other in Darkroot, just the way the Gods intended.
    Zodiaxel
    Zodiaxel
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Zodiaxel Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:08 pm

lol, i agree with befowler. It just makes sense. haha
    Loken

Post by Loken Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:20 pm

I'm inclined to agree with Reaperfan. I had not heard the theory of humanity being that dark soul, mind blowing stuff!
    I'd also like to add that that bird probably sweeps up a lot of people for fun big grin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm