Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Buggy Virus
BackwardsBaboon
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Wade_Wilson
8 posters

Something useless i just discovered about greatshields

Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Something useless i just discovered about greatshields Empty Something useless i just discovered about greatshields

Post by Wade_Wilson Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:56 pm

When you bash, it counts as having your shield raised for a split second and you can damage an enemy mid-swing without losing health. I was messing around with my +15 black iron greatshield in the burg and noticed during some bashes it would make the deflecting noise, I would lose no health but the hollow soldier would be staggered by the hit.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Something useless i just discovered about greatshields Empty Re: Something useless i just discovered about greatshields

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:12 pm

I don't exactly understand. You call it useless, yet at the same time appear to be praising the move?

I don't really get it. Shrug
    BackwardsBaboon
    BackwardsBaboon
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Something useless i just discovered about greatshields Empty Re: Something useless i just discovered about greatshields

Post by BackwardsBaboon Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:43 pm

I think by "useless" he means that it cant be relied upon in battle, as the window of opportunity (where the bash counts as a block) is only a split second. Still an interesting fact though.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:49 pm

Ok, good to know.

Thanks for clearing it up.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:00 pm

Do you mean there is a window to hit you during bash?
    BackwardsBaboon
    BackwardsBaboon
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BackwardsBaboon Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:10 pm

Its been awhile since I have really used a greatshield, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC yes, you can be damaged during a shield bash. I seem to remember shield bashing a silver knight & getting my @$$ tore up in the process!
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:12 pm

You can do this with other shields when two-handing as well. The charge attack blocks and does a charge attack at the same time. Think of it as using the pick R1 Sprint as well as your shield up... although probably less damage if it is not elemental.

sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:14 pm

not if its a bone wheel....big grin
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:16 pm

Nope. Boneshield has little to no protection.

Secret about the Boneshield? It's to take your money away, with no protection whatsoever

ow, bonewheel, well it works the same way anyways, except a little jagged around the rims... yuck.

Last edited by Acidic_Cook on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:19 pm

actually i've used it for a playthough and when two handed the protections fine since even while attacking you often block attacks, plus you only need 20 str to 2 hand it for the same moveset the rest can go into end and vit to compensate.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:21 pm

When using non-100% physical shields, I may add that the best thing to add for your shield is a leech weapon. Just to remove the added minimum damage to have minimum health regeneration to level it evenly well.

That's just disgusting, though.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:23 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:actually i've used it for a playthough and when two handed the protections fine since even while attacking you often block attacks, plus you only need 20 str to 2 hand it for the same moveset the rest can go into end and vit to compensate.
    Ever tried the Magic Shield of Death Build?
    Bonewheel in left hand. Oolacile cat in main hand.
    Cast Magic Shield. Press L2. ????? PROFIT!

More on note. All shield actions block. A Bash is a block. A parry is a 80% block, an attack with the shield is a block (except for kirks bash).
    Havels shields special little buff? That entire thing blocks.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:42 pm

It's basically a bad parry.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:44 pm

I wonder if you could get the Leo Ring counter to work with this. I suspect not, but you never know.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:49 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I wonder if you could get the Leo Ring counter to work with this. I suspect not, but you never know.
    The shield that the Knight of Catarina drops can get a Leo Counter: it's running attack when two handed is a kick then attack.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:50 pm

Good to know, never been one for the Pierce Shield but it might be worth a look. Thanks for the info.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:59 pm

Please note, all small/medium shields running attacks are a kick/bash followed by 1 or 2 attacks... so that's not unique to the pierce shield. Pierce is just the one that get's a leo boost.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 am