Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Buggy Virus
Zetsabre
LordRevan
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Raikan007
9 posters

Upgrading Shields

Raikan007
    Addicted
    Addicted

Upgrading Shields Empty Upgrading Shields

Post by Raikan007 Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:48 am

What is the actual point of upgrading shields? Could someone explain?

I have yet to see any resistances increase, the only thing that increases is its damage (whatever the first one is, also please explain) and then, what is the point of having an elemental shield? I have looked and I dont recall it offering anymore resistance to the certain element (i.e: Lightning shield increase in lightning resistance and so on?)

I have the GSoA (shield) +1 and it does not get any better, I would like it to parry quicker (can this even happen as it is a greatshield) and better resistances.. its not that great in my opinion.. I forged it as I was nowhere near using the Swords due to low faith & intellegence... Its also VERY heavy and in order to use it I have to compromise on my physical defence..

I wish shields added to your physical defence (like Havels Shield is 80 *whatever it is* and when you upgrade it I wish it added that total to your physical defence.. please excuse me if this is actually what happens, however, I have not noticed it yet

thank you
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Upgrading Shields Empty Re: Upgrading Shields

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:53 am

You can upgrade a shield's stability but not it's actual defensive properties (you can alter them if you take it down an elemental/magical path, doing this will sacrifice stability, however) what you are actually improving is the shield's AR.

Greatshields cannot parry.
    LordRevan
    LordRevan
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by LordRevan Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:57 am

Firstly you could just check the Wiki and it would give you the answers to all of this...

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Shields

Although I may as well give a quick explaination. So this applies to normal shields not special's such as Unique, or Boss shields.

I'll ignore damage increases as who cares lol.

If you upgrade them upon the regular path's they will gain stability.

If you upgrade them along the elemental paths they gain extra resistance to that element. However there may be some special/weird cases that they don't. Also they revert back to their original stability.

Also the GSoA is a greatshield so no it cannot parry. It is a very strong defensive shield with I think the highest stability of any shield, that also has the unique ability to block all status effects(Such as blocking bleeding when a katana hits your block). Do not bother upgrading it as it is a boss weapon so the above does not apply, and only the damage is increased.

Last edited by LordRevan on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
    Raikan007
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Raikan007 Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:58 am

shot brother, what is AR?

So GSoA is quite ineffective? I know that it offers resistance to a lot of things etc. but eish!

Stability, the higher the better you are at not staggering?? is that correct?
    Zetsabre

Post by Zetsabre Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:59 am

I'd sacrifice armor defense for a better/heavier shield as most people that invade me tend to fish backstabs with their lightning weapons and kill me in one hit.

At least with a shield you can block attacks and not lose a lot of stamina from high stability shields.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:59 am

Stability increases, the amount of stamina a block needs lessens.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:04 am

Raikan007 wrote:shot brother, what is AR?

So GSoA is quite ineffective? I know that it offers resistance to a lot of things etc. but eish!

Stability, the higher the better you are at not staggering?? is that correct?

Is the GSoA worth it? I'd say yes. I'm not much of a fan of Greatshields, but there are some people who are in absolute love with that shield.

AR is just attack rating shortened. This just means that if you intend on using your shield as an offensive weapon it will do more damage. It may sound silly, but certain shields such as the Bonewheel, Spiked, and Pierce shields are often used as attacking weapons.
    Raikan007
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Raikan007 Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:11 am

cheers thank you all,

The GSoA does not parry, however, is the 2nd highest Stability meaning if a titanite Demon had to hit me my Stamina would only drop half the amount in comparison to using say a Bloodshield +5 etc... as well as being able to do damage by pressing R2..

If connecting with R2 does it open the person/demon up for a RIPOSTE and if someone hits the Shield while blocking and opens up, can I riposte as well?

Going to try this all at home later though happy
    Bamjam
    Bamjam
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bamjam Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:43 pm

You can only riposte if you land a parry. And thats not gonna work with a greatshield since you cant parry with it.

And on the elemental paths, i got a toon with an egghead and the egghead reduces fire defence so i use a fire upgrade on my shield to even it out, its all depending on your setup i guess.

Last edited by Bamjam on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo's)
    RandelOolacile
    RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RandelOolacile Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:19 pm

Raikan007 wrote:
    If connecting with R2 does it open the person/demon up for a RIPOSTE and if someone hits the Shield while blocking and opens up, can I riposte as well?

Going to try this all at home later though happy
    I think to maximize damage of this fashion you would want a thrust weapon and have the Leo ring equipped. If I'm not mistaken the Leo ring boosts damage of thrusts against opponents on the deflection animation. =D
    Raikan007
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Raikan007 Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:04 am

no all good happy

tested it out this morning, you cannot riposte when they have deflected, however, you do do more damage when they are open like that (some points of attacks you deal more damage than others) this is one of them!

The R2 bash only does 12 damage only and I got Riposted by the smaller knight in Dark Anor Londo happy lol! this is with the GSoA +1

I went back to Sens Fortress to take down those large Boulder throwing demons as I left them to get to the Boss! This shield takes all the damage from those stomping giants and only takes down about half my stamina (level 38 endurance) one of the highest stats I have at the moment.. I am liking the shield but have to skimp on protection, nothing the ring of steel & protection cant sort out if needed...
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:30 am

If you want heavy deflection and parry, Iron Round Shield. Love it, though I stick with grass crest (everyone uses it as a back ornament, so they never expect to be parried when they go r1 crazy)
    Raikan007
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Raikan007 Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:33 am

grass crest is only 95 damage resistant though.. just equip the cloranthy ring or the mask of the child for stamina regen.. I always use a 100 damage resistant shield..
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:36 am

I could care less about damage block. I've never found a need to block unless it was absolutely necessary (TWoP+WoG spam)

I usually opt to avoid than stand and defend.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:52 am

He's PvEing eki....
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:57 am

Like I said, I rather dodge than block. Your misplacing stamina either way, may as well put it to good use >_> PvE or PvP it doesn't matter. I don't block for ****.

Only time I'd say blocking is good is if you're too heavy to roll. In that case go balls out with a good shield with high stability and resistances.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:06 am

For PvE I recommend the Crystal Shield. It has 100/60/80/80, awesome resistance. You can't parry with it though. As eki said it all depends if you prefer dodging or blocking.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:05 am